PDA

View Full Version : A general guide to being good at what you do

Rare
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
So, I am writing this guide because as time goes by I have noticed that there are MANY end game players that do not have a grasp on the class roles of PVE and what is necessary to be a great contributor. I will attempt to address all 3 classes and hope that if anyone has any comments or additions that they would feel compelled to post them. Maybe there is already a guide for this. I figure with the huge influx of guides, what’s one more?

This list is a general list of do’s and don’t’s that I feel every player should keep in mind during their time on Alterra. I don’t profess to be any expert or to have all the right answers. Also, this guide will focus mainly of pure classes. Multi spec classes add an entirely new dimension. Also will not take into account elixirs as that changes the entire dynamic.

Bears

The Ursans, commonly referred to as bears, are the tank class. The skills available allow this class to not only protect your party but to make progression through maps much more simple. Here are some suggestions.

Do’s:

1. First and foremost, use taunt, often. Not only does it attract attention away from lesser armored party members but gives you a considerable addition to dodge. This is especially important to support mages who's Heal skill may take aggro from mobs (Thanks maiohwmai!!!)
2. Stay ahead of the pack. Bears do not have the luxury of great damage. So hanging around a couple mobs when there are four other members taking them out is really wasting valuable time. When you know your party can safely handle the mobs on thier own, get out of dodge and head to the next group.
3. Learn to use beckon efficiently. The most efficient use of beckon is when you can pin a large group of mobs to a wall. Not only does it make everything pretty when your teammates let loose, but it make clearing mobs much more efficient.
4. Learn to use stomp effectively. There is nothing worse than scattering mobs all over the place when your mage and bird friends are trying to do massive damage to the whole group.
5. Keep a healthy supply of health pots available. Unless you have very high dodge, there is a good chance you will need these.
6. Learn to work WITH other bears. This will be addressed further in the Don’t’s section.

Don’t’s:

1. Don’t go crazy with your beckon. Scattering mobs is probably the single most time consuming way to clear a map. This, along with your handicapped damage, is what gives bears a very bad reputation.
2. If there is another bear in the party, work with them. If you see them beckon, wait to use yours. You don’t have to just mash every skill you have all the time. There is a time and place for everything.
3. Don’t stomp mobs out into the open, scattering them every which way. Its annoying.
4. Don’t wait for the mage(s) in the party to heal you. There is only so much they can do.

I know, a lot of these do’s and don’t’s are one and the same. But its important to drive this home. I think Bears are the most hated, loved, difficult, and fun class to use.

Mages

The role of the enchantress is to support your party using buff and healing skills and to deal a good amount of area damage.

Do’s:

1. Spam heal, especially when going gets tough. As mentioned above, this skill may pull aggro so be aware of your surroundings.
2. Pay attention to your party’s health. If you see someone about to go unconscious, get ready to revive them.
3. Work with the bears in your party. Use their skills to your advantage.
4. Use your party buffs as often as possible. But use them effectively. For instance, since buffs only last a short time, don't use them when you have 10 seconds of running to the next group. Use them wisely, but often.
5. If there is a bear in your party, wait to drop your combo (Ice Storm + Firestorm) until the bear has pulled all the mobs together. This will do the most damage in the least amount of time.
6. Keep a healthy supply of mana pots to help with your Magic Shield.
7. Keep moving.

Don’t’s:

1. Don’t only heal when you need it. Help support your team.
2. Don’t get ahead of your group and don’t take off on your own. ESPECIALLY if you are the only mage.
3. Don’t be counterproductive to other party members, namely bears. Many of your skills will negate the ability of bears to use beckon effectively. Don’t just run into the room and start unloading your skills. It will go faster if you are patient.
4. Don’t firestorm your opponents all over the place. Similar to bears, use this skill appropriately to minimize scattering.

Birds

The role of the Avian is mostly to deal a large amount of damage to as single target. Birds also have a potentially deadly AOE combo (Shattering Scream + Blast Shot). This class will do the most damage and will generally have the highest number of kills. In my opinion this is a fun class, but the most simple.

Do’s:

1. Protect yourself. Keep in mind you have generally lower armor and will be killed quickly.
2. Target the appropriate mobs first. For example, in Mt Fang, it’s a good idea to take out those pesky mages first. Not only because they deal long range damage, but their little pets will die with them. It’s much easier to kite the soldiers without taking much damage.
3. Same as with mages, work with bears and use their skills to your advantage.
4. Keep a healthy supply of mana and health pots.
5. Keep moving.

Don’t’s:

1. Don’t run into the room by yourself, you almost certainly will die.
2. Don’t wait for mages to heal. Use your pots if necessary.
3. Don’t root the mobs until the bear has had the opportunity to beckon.
4. Don’t run into the melee (unless you are a dagger user). With your range you should be able to keep a good distance from the mobs and keep yourself upright.
5. Don’t be afraid to kite.

This is a preliminary list of do’s and don’t’s. I’m sure there is much more to be added and I’ll update when I have more time. I hope it’s useful. Enjoy.

Ixillicus
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Nice guide. There is a lot of useful information in there, especially for bears.

ninjaduck
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Great guide, a suggestion would be use some Bold and some Underlining to make headings stand out. :)

Rare
01-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Great guide, a suggestion would be use some Bold and some Underlining to make headings stand out. :)

Thanks :). I went back and did that as soon as I posted it.

Taipan
01-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow! Great guide this will help me (wishes that more ppl would read this) the most annoying thing for a tank,(at least in my opinion) is when the bird or elf rushes into the room or when everyone releases
All their skills in one mob!!! Lol

ninjaduck
01-25-2012, 11:45 AM
You just earned a +1 ninjapoint for accepting advice from a qualified Ninja. :D

Rare
01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Um, if mages are lightning'ing and the birds can thorn wall, there won't be a need for the bear's beckon at all, unless it's a boss...

That actually can make us bears a tiny bit frustrated, but all's good in killing fast.

Also, am I the only one noticing that stickied (ice, thorns, stuns) mobs are harder to pull? Used to be you could pull mobs pretty easily from roots but not necessarily stuns. OTOH, maybe it was lag.

Well... there will always be an argument for what's "necessary" and what's "not". This isn't really about that. This is about being better at what you are doing.

Ideally, you want to get through a map as fast as possible. At least in my opinion. The best way to do that is to have all the mobs in one place so you can maximize your damage per skill use. Thorn wall does root the mobs, but there are other advantages to beckoning. Pinning them to walls prevents other skills like stomp, firestorm, or repulsion (if used appropriately) from scattering your enemies.

Hankomachos
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank you! So many end game players who don't follow any of what you said. Being a bear myself *cough* a good one *cough* it annoys me when mages/birds rush in a room and wreck my pulls.

Great guide.

Econodeath
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Fantastic guide!!!
I really enjoyed reading through it and can say that I see fault in my own style at times.
Im not afraid to say it. LOL

@ Hank not to blow your head up, but you are the best bear I have ever had the pure pleasure of
playing with. Never before have I felt more honored to play side by side with a bear!!!
Your style of play is almost laid out to a T in this guide. While reading it I swear I would have thought you took part in it!

Thank you again for such a fantastic guide.
Hopefully others will read it and relate it to their own play style and see
their own faults.
BRAVO!!!!

maiohwmai
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Throw something in about mages getting aggro through healing. Not a big deal until you get to Fang, spam heals and pull aggro like a bear.

ItsCas
01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
great informative guide, learned a few thing about other classes that should help me play better

Rare
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Everyone, thanks for the kind words.

Throw something in about mages getting aggro through healing. Not a big deal until you get to Fang, spam heals and pull aggro like a bear.

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know healing could get aggro. Is this true?

Walkhardd
01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
I think when a new player picks a bear to use, they should be directed to the bear section of this guide, and be able to pass a quiz on it. Lol. Bears that dont kno what theyre doing is the most annoying thing when grinding/farming.

maiohwmai
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM
You learn something new everyday. I didn't know healing could get aggro. Is this true?Unless STS is playing a cruel trick on my mage.

Honestly though, it isn't as much as Taunt (I think) but it is true. Heal will pull aggro.

Edit - in the interest of not being like other unnamed users who blab errant information just to look cool or smart, let me say that I THINK it will draw aggro. Mobs certainly react appropriately and several highly respected players have agreed. However, I would wait to hear it from a dev.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rare
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Unless STS is playing a cruel trick on my mage.

Honestly though, it isn't as much as Taunt (I think) but it is true. Heal will pull aggro.

Edit - in the interest of not being like other unnamed user who blab errant information just to look cool or smart, let me say that I THINK it will draw aggro. Mobs certainly react appropriately and several highly respected players have agreed. However, I would wait to hear it from a dev.

Sorry for the confusion.

I updated it in the guide. I looked around and saw some other threads about it as well. Didn't see anyone dispute it. It would be nice to get a yes/no from devs though.

Bronxman2012
01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Here is what I would add, as a bear:

Recognize that, as a bear, you are the leader of the group. Birds work best when they are behind you, and mages are great for healing purposes. But, the bear is the go-to person. All eyes look to you. Without you, mages and birds do not succeed.

Rare
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Here is what I would add, as a bear:

Recognize that, as a bear, you are the leader of the group. Birds work best when they are behind you, and mages are great for healing purposes. But, the bear is the go-to person. All eyes look to you. Without you, mages and birds do not succeed.

Hey Bronx Bomber. Its not that I don't want to add that, because I somewhat agree with what you're saying with regard to following the bear (not sure about the other things), but I don't want to turn this into a class war.

Bronxman2012
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Atlannie, there is no need for a class war of any sort. Without the mages (pawns) or the birds (knights), there would be no bears (kings, queens, or other important chess pieces). So, birds and mages, we bears need you. We really do.

Ebalere
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
the bear is the go-to person. All eyes look to you. Without you, mages and birds do not succeed.

I disagree. I think every class can benefit from having the other classes around, but you're really putting bears on a pedestal here. A pally can tank, but a bear could never do a mages job.

I manage just fine without a bear in the group, but without someone to heal or do damage the runs are going to be a pain.. and more than one bear usually leads to chaos unless they cooperate.

In my experience the fastest smoothest runs are 1 *good* bear (rarely you find one that knows proper crowd control in a PUG), at least one mage, preferably two, and the rest birds.

In closing, I agree that a good bear is complimentary to a fast run, but, is no more important to the run than any other class.

Bronxman2012
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree. Bears need mages and birds, but bears lead.

They are the ones who march into death.

They are the ones who look at danger, and say, "Ha! I laugh at danger! I walk on the wild side!"

They are the ones who claim to the minions of evil, "I curse you with the scourge of a thousand bloodied suns."

We are bears. We rule supreme.

And yes, we bears need you mages and birds, but make no mistake, if bears, birds, and mages were to square off against one another, bears would always win. We are simply that much more powerful.

If any birds or mages care to challenge Bronxman when he is online tonight, he will be more than happy to vanquish you.

nomad187
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I disagree. I think every class can benefit from having the other classes around, but you're really putting bears on a pedestal here. A pally can tank, but a bear could never do a mages job.

I manage just fine without a bear in the group, but without someone to heal or do damage the runs are going to be a pain.. and more than one bear usually leads to chaos unless they cooperate.

In my experience the fastest smoothest runs are 1 *good* bear (rarely you find one that knows proper crowd control in a PUG), at least one mage, preferably two, and the rest birds.

In closing, I agree that a good bear is complimentary to a fast run, but, is no more important to the run than any other class.

Read what he wrote right above your post. He also wrote it 20 minutes before you wrote this.

Whirlzap
01-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Lololol remember sewer ages-.-
Gonna be honest and just say pot 4x combo if you want to be good at what your class is regardless of anything.
Anyways, yes Heal aggros.
Apparently even emotes aggro, as seen when you use the wave-trick at Sewer Queen.

Whirlzap
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Read what he wrote right above your post. He also wrote it 20 minutes before you wrote this.

So watttttt????
Every post is special, doesn't matter if he stated a common thing.

Anyways, I'd like to take 1/7 of the credit for Hank's bearness.
You see, I SORT OF inspired him to become pro and get the best gear.
Heh.

Last of all, my comments:

The guide is a nicely organized and formatted textbook similar to the one in New Player's Section.
It states the basic jists of what each class performs, and readily acts as a stepping stone for those who are not able to eventually learn their class before level 30 or so.

The issue is scatterbearing, I suppose?

Kay, so what's bad about scatterbear? I mean srsly it's just making a few mobs move off a bit?

-You get booted
-You make mobs fly away
-You get called a horribad bear
-You get pwned by monsters that are around you
-You take dos days to solo Forest Haven

I've listed the above.

Rare
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
The issue is scatterbearing, I suppose?

Issue isn't scattering alone. Its really all classes. Its just i think that the other two classes don't have as much responsibility in that its harder for them to make things very difficult.

It is easy for them to make things easier though. This guide is meant to address that as well.

Fyrce
01-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Actually the other two classes can be noticeable. It's prob just that people expect bears to lead. I've been in games where the birds don't kill (fast) and the mages don't heal/rev/or kill.

And the bear is killing his own gather, slowly, because who knows what the mages and birds, who have NOT moved beyond the bear, are doing --- maybe socializing silently?

It's pretty noticeable. Just notice the fast groups and the slow groups. It's not all elixirs.

Rare
01-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Agreed

ghost.mw
01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Good guide for new players and noobs(no offense)

Twinklaser
01-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Very detailed. Sure this is going to help newbies learn to handle mob correctly.

Rare
01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Very detailed. Sure this is going to help newbies learn to handle mob correctly.

I hope so. I've found a lot of players are not fond of tips in game. So I'm going to stop trying unless they ask.

Of course they probably won't ask me because I'm not as well known as some others.