PDA

View Full Version : Hellcharger's Commando PvP guide

Zaltiar
01-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Hellcharger's Commando PvP Guide

Whats important to note before you read this Commando PvP guide is that, my build is just one of many. Each person pvp's differently according to how the fight is going and the situation, this guide may work for you or it may not. To say the least, there is no "perfect" build that will help you plow down opponents. Its just a matter of practice and learning. Many players who I have shared 'a few' of my skill build have told me it was harder to get used to. This build has been experimented over and over again to fit 'my' personal needs in PvP, if you find something that will make it an even better build, go for it! It will provide you a solid skill build and a brief overview of the tactics used during matches with different classes. I will also be assuming you know the few ettiquttes of PvP and have some knowledge of what to expect during a match.

1. SKILL BUILD
5-1-5-x
6-6-5-x
x-6-6-x

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/402409_10150510507492333_508677332_8841487_4323421 71_n.jpg

FH & GS (Force Hammer & Graviton Slam)
For this build, Force Hammer and Graviton Slam are used as primary attacks. These can be expensed and can be used at any time during a match. The damage dealt from Force Hammer is 25-30 and has a 5 second recharge.
Graviton Slam has a slow down effect on targets of 70%, this is great for kiters and slowing down opponents who try to move out of range from your combos. Their 12m range also allows you to kite, slow down enemies while waiting on other skills to recharge.
These two skills are readily available due to their quick recharges, I usually use them while waiting for my Back Breaker combo to recharge.

Inc. Mass & Growing Rage
Increase Mass greatly reduces the amount of damage dealt from opponents. At lower skill levels it gives a dodge and crit debuff, and at lvl 6 it give +300 armor with no debuff. Try to predict when the opponent will use their combo. Using increase mass at the right time will give you an advantage over your opponents.
Growing Rage is hands down, the most deadly skill that commandos have. With a 15 second duration, the time frame includes a flurry of multiple primary attacks and one combo, with a +60 critical chance every other attack should be a crit. Remember to time it well, its 60 second cooldown will feel like forever when you need it the most.

Kinetic Reservoir & Vigor
Kinetic Res. is kept at lvl 5, as there is no decrease in the dmg debuff when increased to lvl 6. This skill is the hardest (well for me) to get used to and time the after-buff (+35 dmg which only lasts for 2 seconds) with your combo/primary attacks. Try to get used to waiting for the buff and using your primary skills then. I mainly use this skill for its regen, in a long fight, running out of mana will cost you your death. (usually duing coms vs. coms), this goes the same for Vigor.

BB.Combo (Back Breaker + Neutron Stomp)
I keep neutron stomp at 1 just to use the B.Bcombo, its 8 second cooldown made me favour force hammer more to use as a primary skill. Back Breaker (B.B) hits the hardest out of all other skills from 20-40dmg. Add Neutron Stomp with B.B and you hit a combo, giving additional damage to the target.
Combine this with Growing Rage, and you will deal even more damage if it crits. Always remember the range of your skills, Graviton Slam makes this build a bit hard as the range is half of all your other skills at 6m. This means you need to time your combo and fight at close range.

1.1 No Singularity?
*I don't tend to use the Singularity skill in PvP, the reasons being:
1.) I like fighting close
2.) Has a longer recharge than stomp
3.) I did not know until recently it could be used for a B.Bcombo :) my fingers are already too used to my current setup, thus I cant be bothered to change.
But, not to fear, I have fought a lot of Sing+BB.combo Commandos and this guide will include how to counter them.

If you have already been using Singularity and are worried, there is a solution. But it comes with a skill point price.
5-1-5-1
5-6-5-x
x-6-6-x
Using this build, you are able to swap Stomp for Sing. sacrificing one point in Slam. If you are fighting a lot of kiters, you can change to this setup.

Now, that you know the reasons why I chose those skills, lets move on to the tactics.

2.TACTICS
Many have asked me how I survive the fight with 30% hp or more when they have the same exact skill build/ gear as me. This here is the reason, no hacks, no double armoring, just plain old timing skills and predicting opponent moves. I will split this into the three classes in SL.
Skills in order of use: Kin. Res-> Inc. Mass-> G.Rage-> FH&GS->BB.Combo-> Vigor
Dont wait around to use these skills in the same order again though. Check the timing of the skills and use them accordingly.

Gear Used:
- Full Custom BattleShell Gear
- Nova Blaster
- Dodger D-2 Dodge Amplifier

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/409463_10150510507727333_508677332_8841488_1437905 97_n.jpg

2.1 Commandos.
When fighting commandos (who are up to your calibre) be prepared for a long fight. These fights can go from 1.5mins-3mins. Pace yourself and use vigor when you get the chance. If I know the opponent is a Sing+BBcombo, I'll lure him/her to me for a close fight. Always have your back to wall when fighting these commandos. While they think they have the advantage (since you're backed up on the wall), really, its just to make their Singularity useless and keep the fight close to you.
Try to stick right next to him, if he/she runs back and start healing, dont waste your mana trying to catch him. If he runs behind a wall, run along the adjacent wall and meet him on the other side while healing yourself. Use your GS to slow him down+ Singularity or Stomp to knock him down. Once you have him in your range buff, primary skills, combo, and repeat. Be sure to get use your Growing Rage early, fighting another commando, you will possibly be able to use Rage twice in a single match.
In a TDM (Team-Deathmatch) room, my favourite spots to lure Sing+BB.Combo commandos are the spawning places. The small room makes sure that you are close at all times + makes the opponents SIng. useless. (with the 8 sec cooldown, most of his/her skills will be charging)
Once they get out, I keep my back to the walls. When your hp starts getting low, try to kite with the primary skills (FH&GS) while using your regen skills (Kinetic Res.&Vigor). Keep in mind that your opponent will also be healing. After you get your skills recharged you can try the hit&quit method.
Hit&Quit
The Hit & Quit playstyle is used best at the "pillars" in the TDM room. This is where you wait for your main skills to recharge, charge the opponent, use Slam, and run back to the adjacent wall. You want to use Graviton Slam the last so they are slowed and you can get out of range.
Remember to use your Combo as soon as you move into range as they will try to use Sing on you. Make sure you are not backed up on a wall this time so as to use his Sing to create distance. This will only be a last minute play style if you really find yourself on the lower hand.

2.2 Operatives.
Operatives who know what they are doing will defeat any commando who are not prepared for the fight. There are two main types of ops: Long range/Kiting ops who will try to avoid your combo throughout the fight and Close range ops who try to get you using precision and pain early.

Close range ops
C.Rops are not too hard to fight. They will often tend to use their Precision skill (+14% hit and +60% crit) at the beginning of the match.
Use your buffs, and lash out the skills. Kin. Res-> Inc. Mass-> G.Rage-> FH&GS->BB.Combo-> Vigor. Keep your back to a wall so they don't lurch you away. Coms vs close range ops are not the toughest, but can turn the other way if you dont time your skills.

Long range ops/Kiters.
Oh man, I love kiters because to me, these are the most challenging opponents if they actually know what they are doing. These ops will try to immediately lurch and root you. After you get rooted, they come in with precision and plow down your hp. rinse & repeat.
To counter these ops, you need to know your skill ranges and how far you can hit.
With these ops, keep your distance and only get in range when you know you can hit them before they lurch you away. Use Kenetic Res+Inc. Mass buffs at the beginning while keeping your distance. Using these skills won't decrease your mana by much. Only ever use Rage when they are in range with your skills. Also, lure them into using their pain/lurch skills while you are still out of their range.
Try to get the first hit with Graviton Slam. Once you have them slowed rush them with your skills while keeping your back to the wall. Note- Keeping your back to the wall might not work so well here due to their root and lurch skills. If you time your self wrong, you might find yourself getting stuck on the wall out of reach from the opponent.

2.3 Engineers
Most Engineers are no match for a good commando. But if you have ever fought a str/int Engineer, they are as hard to beat as most good ops.
Their first attack will be Suppression which will hold you in place for about 6 seconds. Thus, it is vital that you dont use Growing Rage right away. Try to use this skill order.
Kin. Res-> Inc. Mass-> Slam->wait for suppression-> rush and stick to them. If they get the opportunity, they will use the walls to avoid getting hit by your skills while healing. If this happens, go one way then quickly change directions to juke them into getting closer. If all else fails, I tend to just stay in the middle of the map use vigor+kinetic res. and try again.
The longer a fight, the less advantage you will have.

If you ever decide on using this build, please be a sensible pvper :)
- Always ask if a room is FFA or Call
- Refrain from rushing and check if the opponent is ready
- If you see a 'rusher' make sure they are not new players, tell them its not Ffa or ask them to sit. If all else fails boot/find another room/ stop them from rushing.

If you thought there was some uber secret method I used while fighting, sorry to have dissapointed you :), I do it the ole' fashioned way eh. Remember, don't get discouraged if you can't seem beat someone. Try to find out the reasons and change how you play, this can be from the skill levels, tactics, timing, or even just the way the skills are positioned on the display. If you can find an efficient skill map, use it. Keep practicing!

Cheers.

Ardon
01-26-2012, 07:56 AM
You forgot to add that you use several implants.

And the custom nova you got from the devs.

Cero
01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
lol ardon.

@build with singularity.
that makes 9skills. thou i tried to do this but its a bit hard to coop with.
you must've to be quick on switching/dropping skill map and note ur distance:)

Kanozaki
01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
he also has the hidden ability of a SG to stack implants ;)

oh darn secrets out :/

iAmPain
01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Hmm.this feels so weird. Most of people that tells about theyre Build are the ones that are quiting LoL.but TY for sharing us what u have :) Now unexpected will be expected in The tourney! :3

Zaltiar
01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Hmm.this feels so weird. Most of people that tells about theyre Build are the ones that are quiting LoL.but TY for sharing us what u have :) Now unexpected will be expected in The tourney! :3

Haha I'm not quitting yet :),
A lot of people were asking me about my build, I thought I'd post it up and show its not that special heh
Now, hopefully we get more ppl in pvp :9, and in the tourney, sign up guysss!!

Zaltiar
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
lol ardon.

@build with singularity.
that makes 9skills. thou i tried to do this but its a bit hard to coop with.
you must've to be quick on switching/dropping skill map and note ur distance:)

Yep I know its 9 skills, the purpose of this was to switch builds depending on who you're fighting,
Since stomp is at 6m, and sing.is at 12, You change change depending on whether its a kiter you are fighting( a very annoying kiter). Its just aan option, but you lose 1skill point to slam.

iAmPain
01-28-2012, 12:56 AM
as he said there is no special thing about it, so dnt be afraid to show your skills to the WORLD and join the tourney now! :):D

Cero
01-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Yep I know its 9 skills, the purpose of this was to switch builds depending on who you're fighting,
Since stomp is at 6m, and sing.is at 12, You change change depending on whether its a kiter you are fighting( a very annoying kiter). Its just aan option, but you lose 1skill point to slam.

oh, ok:P

Sryyoulose
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
A pro to post his build... Unheard of good to know some people care more about pvp then there kdr!

Zaltiar
02-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Heh ty brotha! Yeah I finally decided to go ahead and post it up since people were asking me to tell what my 'special'/'secret' build was. Just wanted to show its not even that special, build might be 60% of the fight, the experience and tactics is the other 40%.
I have already fought with a person using my build, and darn it was tough heh, felt like shadowfighting myself!

Hells
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
damn i tried it 2day and tht skill set is hard as hell 2 use looooool, i gess it dosent suit me

Zaltiar
02-04-2012, 11:51 PM
damn i tried it 2day and tht skill set is hard as hell 2 use looooool, i gess it dosent suit me

Yep heh i made it specifically based on how i changed skills around as i was experimenting,
But whhen you get the right timing, it works like a charm :)
Did you practice the combo on mobs first? kenetic res->growing rage>Inc. Mass> primary (force hammer +graviton slam)->back breaker combo. Until your fingers are used to it, go on to pvp, then you should start looking at how ops/engines/come
use their attacks and work with that.
Which parts in specific did you find tough?

toohotforyou
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
hmmp.. im level 38..but still i dontt have back breaker..
why? or maybe bcos im not a platinum player..?

Ardon
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Back breaker is a combo between 2 com skills.

Sryyoulose
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
What shield do you use? Blackstar?

Zaltiar
02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Yep, the pink shields and guns give additional stat bonuses.

Dragonrider023
03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
nice gear, zalitar

birdmasta
03-29-2012, 10:37 PM
You forgot to add that you use several implants.

And the custom nova you got from the devs.

there are custom nova blasters?

birdmasta
03-29-2012, 10:38 PM
btw r u hellengineer?

Hellcurse
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
nice build but if a op attacks u and they noe wat they r doing, ull die as ur attacks r short ranged

Zaltiar
04-23-2012, 08:49 AM
nice build but if a op attacks u and they noe wat they r doing, ull die as ur attacks r short ranged

I think you haven't seen me in pvp have you :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Hellcurse
05-04-2012, 04:57 AM
ill b happy to vs u add me
IGN: doggies(com) or hellcurse(op)

Zaltiar
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I went on just a while back, added you :) to date, no op has beaten me consistently *nose flaring* (or com or eng :P,) but that was now,,4/5 months ago and before I put up this guide ;_;. I'm le rusty.
I'll be ingame occasionally heh, find me then!

Mrbananaz
05-09-2012, 02:23 AM
hes avoiding the fact that ppl think he uses custom nova and extra implants XD

Hellcurse
05-09-2012, 05:06 AM
lol im prob gonna lose but its a once in a life time opportunity. And yeah lol he has all armour beta than me

Comeat me
05-25-2012, 04:35 AM
hwy hellcharger btw i really wanna verse i think i can beat u lol with boejangles build

Zaltiar
05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
sure thing comeat me, use what you gotta use. I havent played for months so i'll be very rusty heh great opportunity ;),
whats your ign? if its comeatme, i might have pvped you before. I'll be busy revising for my final exams so I might only get on rarely, catch you around!

Hellcurse
06-29-2012, 05:01 AM
...i havent seen u on yet...
and yeah, since i trying to cap i sold my nova and custom at a high price till the prices go down, so i can make a profit, so now, im stuck with a chaos and normal l40 armour T_T

SkillFullGamer
07-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Hey Hellcharger, just wanted to let you know as someone knew to pvp, your guide and ALL your tips have helped me tremendously.
At first I sucked...and blamed the build, after sometime practicing and getting some experience under my belt, I got really good hehe.
Imean I'm beating lvl.40 s Fully Twinked out using,a regulare cheap battle shell, implant, star shield and decimator.

Zaltiar
07-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Im glad it helped you out :) to be honest im not sure if its up to date anymore, most people use the same build these days and i made this from scratch to beat people using different builds haha, remember to change it based on your preferences ;)
good luck to you! :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2