PDA

View Full Version : Are We Losing Manners?

Bronxman2012
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Hello all! Bronxman here!

I wanted to get your opinion on this. Are we losing manners?

As an example, I've been married for almost 12 years now, and I don't recall my wife ever opening a car door. Even when we were dating, I never had her pay for anything during a date. I grew up where if you ask a woman out, you should pay for the date.

But, I digress. Even in normal day-to-day activities, I see a lack of manners. Holding the elevator open for a woman. Saying Please and Thank You. Simply being polite. That all falls under the category of manners.

So, what is your opinion? Are we losing manners?

Cahaun
01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
This world is degrading. Luckely I'm not degraded and say thankyou alot along with other things.

Roc
01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
If we are losing manners, then it means we are losing good parents. This has the sad side effect of continuing through generations which each one becoming worse and worse parents because their parents didn't teach them such things (arguably you can pick manners up like other skills, but it certainly helps to have parents lend a hand in teaching).

It's hard for non-family to teach manners because most people get offended (from what I've seen) :worked_till_5am:

MimeRifle
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
If we are losing manners, then it means we are losing good parents. This has the sad side effect of continuing through generations which each one becoming worse and worse parents because their parents didn't teach them such things (arguably you can pick manners up like other skills, but it certainly helps to have parents lend a hand in teaching).

It's hard for non-family to teach manners because most people get offended (from what I've seen) :worked_till_5am:

Excellent perspective Roc! I agree with this! I have quite good manners (holding doors, please/thank you, etc.) and I learned from observing my parents!

StompArtist
01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
You shouldn't blame the current generation for it's flaw, you should point the finger at those who raised them. :D

8th place swim team ribbon ftw!

Dartagnian
01-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I got the 12 th place ribbon!

Cahaun
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
i got the 12 th place ribbon!
congratulations! :D

NECROREAPER
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
The 'entitled' generation

CriostalCamhaoir
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd have to agree that through the years manners are being lost and as Roc said its because the kids don't have parents to teach them. I love when people infront of you open a door and run away, its almost as though they are afraid of human connection. My all time favorite thing to do is while I'm out grocery shopping and there's someone that has just emptied their cart I'll take it for them. Once did it for an older man .parked in a handicap space and I thought I may have had to call 911 because be was in complete shock. It's really simple doing small acts of kindness and I know that my children will know and understand what manners are and how to be kind to a stranger (of course when they're older! Lol)

Redbridge
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm inclined to agree that the use of good manners is becoming more infrequent BUT

not all young people should be tarred with the same brush, there are plenty of well mannered people out there and whilst some parent may not seem to prioritise manners, many are busy and life has become more demanding.

What goes around comes around, and good manners generate good karma around oneself, so best to be polite if you want the same back.

Also as we get older manners becomes more important to some of us, but it's harder to get on in life if you don't treat people respectfully.