PDA

View Full Version : How does armor work?

elrond
01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I know this is kind of a newbie question, but how does armor work in this game. Does it reduce the chance to hit, or does it reduce damage when you do get hit.

Just curious.

Rare
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Reduces damage when you get hit.

Dodge will reduce your chance to get hit.

elrond
01-27-2012, 12:23 PM
So how much damage is reduced per hit? I ask, because if I sit in the middle of a bunch of zombies in say the sarcophogus from fathom crypt, I will seem to not be being hurt at all, but if I have to walk away for a minute, I come back and they have killed me. (I am level 65 with a crafted orlok 4 piece set, for what it is worth)

Rare
01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I believe the armor value is subtracted from the damage. So if mob x deals you 250 dmg and your armor is 225, the actual damage is 25. I may be wrong though.

I believe for dodge it is a roll.

EDIT: Just to test it out, im standing in the mega mage mashup right now surrounded by about 15 mobs. it is slow, but they will eventually kill me. So perhaps this isn't the way it calculated.

Battlelock
01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
So how much damage is reduced per hit? I ask, because if I sit in the middle of a bunch of zombies in say the sarcophogus from fathom crypt, I will seem to not be being hurt at all, but if I have to walk away for a minute, I come back and they have killed me. (I am level 65 with a crafted orlok 4 piece set, for what it is worth)
Armor is 200. You get hit with 250. You take 50 damage. That's the VERY simple version. Then there's crit%, buffs & rebuffs.

Battlelock
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. That's strange. I would think in fathom crypt they wouldn't be able to kill you with the amount of regen you should have.

But I believe the armor value is subtracted from the damage. So if mob x deals you 250 dmg and your armor is 225, the actual damage is 25. I may be wrong though.

I believe for dodge it is a roll.
Dodge isn't a roll. If you have 25 dodge, you have 25% chance to dodge. If you dodge a hit, you dodge 100% damage, not Just a % of it.

Phoenixking
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Armor is 200. You get hit with 250. You take 50 damage. That's the VERY simple version. Then there's crit%, buffs & rebuffs.
Yup theres crits, dodge, regen, and debuffs, for example, stand in a group mob that all weild spears, they will stun and break your armor, i believe it can stack I dont know, they might land crits and do double damage, sometimes they have buffs wich heightin damage crit or hit or a combination, then your armor subtracts that damage, your health regen adds a number of health points every second depending on your items, and dodge, you would evade an attack and not get hurt by one

Rare
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Dodge isn't a roll. If you have 25 dodge, you have 25% chance to dodge. If you dodge a hit, you dodge 100% damage, not Just a % of it.

That's what I meant. For instance, a 25% roll.

Snakespeare
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM

What happens is one of them breaks your armor (blue stars), and then they can all get through it.

FluffNStuff
01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Must be a ton of em, because there is a minimum hit damage of like 8-9 if their damage is less then your armor, but that is usually negated by your health regen. Essentially, if enough are hitting you, the damage can over come our regen and kill you.

elrond
01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah, it just seems that a single lowlevel enemy can do damage even with 200 armor. They are never doing 200 damage with a hit. I was wondering if your armor had a maximum it saved you from per enemy or a % chance of stopping damage.

Battlelock
01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it just seems that a single lowlevel enemy can do damage even with 200 armor. They are never doing 200 damage with a hit. I was wondering if your armor had a maximum it saved you from per enemy or a % chance of stopping damage.
They might not hit you for 200 but if u stand there, they rebuff crit buff & on & on so yeah. You're gonna take damage.

FluffNStuff
01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
They might not hit you for 200 but if u stand there, they rebuff crit buff & on & on so yeah. You're gonna take damage.

No matter what your armor, you take a minimum of like 6-8 damage from any hit unless you dodge. If you take enough hits from enough mobs in a short amount of time, it can and will kill you.

Snakespeare
01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I actually never heard the minimum damage idea before you told me, Fluff. I think I will go test with two accounts in PvP.

Whirlzap
01-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah that's the basic simple version.
Then you have crit, dodge, hit%, HP regen, buffs, debuffs, weapon procs, splat damage, and hidden procs.