PDA

View Full Version : Random Question

Bilaxman
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Hello!

I have a really random question that I don't want to spend hours looking for. I bet there is someone here who can help me quickly!

So... I want to copy some pictures off my REALLY OLD desktop... like 12 years old. It is working perfectly well but I just want to make sure the stuff is safe (Who knows when it will die). How do I do this? I put my new external hard drive in it and a screen popped up and said something like... 'installing software for external hard drive'. After this message disappeared by itself, I couldn't find where the hard drive was. I looked all over my computer. On a windows 7 the external hard drive is a (G:) drive. So... after looking for quite some time... I gave up. I then thought to put a cd in and just copy it and then copy the cd info to the external hard drive. The problem is, when I put in the cd in the (E:) drive... nothing shows up. It asks 'please put in cd in (E:) drive'. I then put it in the (F:) drive and it appeared. When I started to drag and paste the info, a message came up. It said quote: "Cannot create or replace [photo name]: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full [which it isn't; it's brand new] or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use [which it isn't in use; I just copied it]."

My question is...
Could someone tell me how to UN write-protect the files on a Compaq Presario 7000 using Microsoft Windows ME (Millennium Edition) onto a cd or directly on my free agent go flex external hard drive?

Thank you so much!

Bilaxman

Deathpunch
01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Does this computer have internet access? If so, the easiest way may be to upload to photobucket, or similar. Or option two, which is what I would and have done, zip all of your pictures up in a zip file, create a dropbox account at dropbox(DOT)com and upload there. Then you can access your dropbox account from your new PC, download, unzip and look at your pictures on your new PC! Yay! FYI, I believe dropbox limits new accounts to 2gb of storage at a time, so you may need to make multiple zips under 2gb and upload, download, delete, repeat.

Bilaxman
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Sadly... This computer hasn't been connected to the Internet for over 6 years. Do you know any other way?

Leli
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Try using a drive, you know the plug things. Save your info to it and then hook it up to your new computer. If that doesnt work, try going to Best Buy, or another electronic store.

Deathpunch
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Try using a drive, you know the plug things. Save your info to it and then hook it up to your new computer. If that doesnt work, try going to Best Buy, or another electronic store.

Yeah, a flash drive would work. If you have usb ports on the old pc. You can find them pretty cheap at just about any electronics store or department stores. I got a 2gb thumb drive for like $7 at Walmart. Heck, I've even used my SD card on my phone to transfer pictures from my desktop to my laptop.

adidaman
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I have a third option for you that may work if all else fails. Open up the back up the computer. There should be a slightly thick black wire connected to a chip. Disconnect this wire, and strip one end of it. Next, weld the stripped end to the side of your temple, and simply upload the pictures straight into your brain. Remember though, this is only if all else fails.

Bilaxman
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I've put multiple flash drives into the computer and it doesn't even register that something is plugged into it. I'll most likely take the computer to best buy. Thank you for all your help.

Bilaxman