PDA

View Full Version : Proposing advice and ideas

dudetus
01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
So me and my gf have been together for 4 years now. I am 19 years old and so is she. We both love eachothers very much and I know she is my soulmate. I think it might sound like a cliche but I truly believe she is the "one" for me and she thinks the same way about me.

I am thinking of proposing her maybe in about six months. I am not yet sure because I have military service next summer (lasts 9 months) but I am not quite sure what to do about it. I feel like I should propose to her before my service but I am still going to be away most of the time while she is studying. We are planning to move together after my service. So should I propose her before my military service or not? I would like to give her my token of love in a form of proposial before my service but yet again I would like to spend time with my spouse after proposing her.

And I would like to make the proposial moment as romantic as possible. So we are planning to go on a holiday to Barcelona (Spain) where I thought I could propose her. An evening in a good restaurant in the beautiful city of Barcelona. Some candles on a table, few roses, the blue sky... I have imagined and planned some but could there be anything more in the proposing situation and in the whole day? And even more important should I propose her before or after my military service?

Kiyoko
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I think you should wait until you come back cos if you propose u wont be there for her to plan the wedding and make invitations . she'll doing it all by herself.so wait until you come back so you can do it

StompArtist
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I would go for before, myself. Would be something to hang on to during the lonely months...

maiohwmai
01-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I vote for after. You might find out during that nine months that she isn't the one or vice versa. I'd rather see what my heart felt like after some time apart.

Artemis
01-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Trust me from everyone. Dont get married at a young age. unless you plan to do a loooongg engagement.

Rare
01-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I think you should wait until you come back cos if you propose u wont be there for her to plan the wedding and make invitations . she'll doing it all by herself.so wait until you come back so you can do it

Yeah. That could hit you pretty hard in the wallet.

dudetus
01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah we have kinda planned to have a long engagement. We both still have some studying left (~3-5 years) before we are finished with our studies. We both have agreed to actually get married after we have got regular jobs which are on the same level with our education.

Our trip to Barcelona would be a perfect time to propose her because after our Barcelona trip we would have to use all of our money to rent, food, studying and so forth since we are planning to move together after my military service.

Stompartist had a good point but yet again Maiohwmai had also pretty valid point.

I am still so confused about this matter :D.

StompArtist
01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Is there one option that feels more "right" to you? I usually go with what feels "right"...

Leli
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
I say propose after the 9 months. Because you can think it over so you wont have second thoughts, can think of ways to keep your wallet full, and be able to think about the sheer devotion of it.

At a young age, we are reckless and have mood problems sometimes. So since you are both 19, think it over. 9months will be plenty.

Marriage can also change you, for the good or bad. And if a divorce comes, it slams your wallet and takes alot of time. Years of devotion may have its downsides but if you feel both of you are ready for the Big Step, and all the finacial items, go with StompArtist's reply. It is honestly if you believe your ready and dont doubt youself.

P.S. Get her a really really big stuffed animal for Valentines day. Everyone loves those lol

Deathpunch
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM

I say before for the exact reasons listed here! Lol! Wedding planning is a real pain and I wished I could have dodged mine.