PDA

View Full Version : Puppy+Old Cat=Bad

Nick41324
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Well i had gotten a puppy on Christmas and the cat I've had for 17 years HATES HIM! Every time my poor puppy gets within about 5 feet of my cat, she will chase him around the house trying to murder him. My cat has trapped him in the bathroom corner one time for over 5 minutes, without me knowing, biting and smacking the dog every time he would make a movement.

Now my cat has been doing this since Christmas, but i thought they would stop after a month, or so i thought. Does anyone know a fix for this, or at least make them get along better.

My cat is declawed so he never gets injured whatsoever. Its just kind of annoying seeing them fight all the time.

DanielRH
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Wait till your puppy grows, and then watch the opposite happen? Or if you like I can put out an update for it! (Joking, joking)

Not sure, tried google? Haha :-)

Good luck man!

Lowlyspy
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Haha my cat used to do that to my great dane when she was puppy sized, it'll still happen when your dog is full grown except your dog might punt the cat across the room once or twice (true story)

EDIT: one thing you could try is stalking your cat and spraying him with a water bottle when u catch her messing with the pup

Fyrce
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Forget the water bottle.

You do need to supervise your cat for a bit.

When your cat behaves in a way you do not like, hiss at her and smack her. You are not smacking her to hurt her; just so she notices. It's like teaching your cat not to claw. If you need to escalate, hold your cat down by the scruff of the neck until she calms down. (Watch other cats, like lions, etc. The adults, especially the mothers, will growl/hiss, smack, etc the kittens so they learn manners)

You might also hold the cat in your lap, pet it until it's calm, and do that near/next to the dog, with the dog also being calm near/next to you. If the dog is sleeping, that's even better. Get closer and closer to the dog over time. Initially, you just want the cat to leave the dog alone. Then you want the cat to be calm in the same room as the dog. Then you want to cat to be calm within 5 feet of the dog, then within 3 feet, then next to the dog...

And yes, it takes a bit of time. But you knew that when you got pets.

(Oops, didnt' see the declawed thing since none of my cats have ever been missing their claws.)

And in case it's not obvious, you are just teaching the animals how to behave. At no time should either animal be harmed. Each of them should have safe zones -- like puppy's bed for puppy, leave kitty alone if kitty is hiding. And you should never be angry at either, because it's a behavior. They're not out to get you. Not usually anyways :p

Matutd
02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I managed to get a staff to not attack my rabbits haha.

U don't need to punish the cat, just spend time with it. If ur cat gets jealous of the puppy, it's gonna attack it.

And also, spend time with them both together, hold the cat back and let the puppy have a sniff or whatever, and then see how they get along, that's how I got my dog to play with my rabbits. So they could both play in the yard at the same time, instead of locking one away, so the other could go play, especially in summer.

Artentreri
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Forget the water bottle.

You do need to supervise your cat for a bit.

When your cat behaves in a way you do not like, hiss at her and smack her. You are not smacking her to hurt her; just so she notices. It's like teaching your cat not to claw. If you need to escalate, hold your cat down by the scruff of the neck until she calms down. (Watch other cats, like lions, etc. The adults, especially the mothers, will growl/hiss, smack, etc the kittens so they learn manners)

You might also hold the cat in your lap, pet it until it's calm, and do that near/next to the dog, with the dog also being calm near/next to you. If the dog is sleeping, that's even better. Get closer and closer to the dog over time. Initially, you just want the cat to leave the dog alone. Then you want the cat to be calm in the same room as the dog. Then you want to cat to be calm within 5 feet of the dog, then within 3 feet, then next to the dog...

And yes, it takes a bit of time. But you knew that when you got pets.

(Oops, didnt' see the declawed thing since none of my cats have ever been missing their claws.)

And in case it's not obvious, you are just teaching the animals how to behave. At no time should either animal be harmed. Each of them should have safe zones -- like puppy's bed for puppy, leave kitty alone if kitty is hiding. And you should never be angry at either, because it's a behavior. They're not out to get you. Not usually anyways :p

TSST!

StompArtist
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Film it and post it on YouTube!