PDA

View Full Version : forum poll suggestions

Ihavenokills
02-05-2012, 01:05 PM
So after seeing the latest forum contest poll with the mummy catchphrases and me being apart of it, I really truly payed a lot of attention towards it and saw 'patterns' in the votes themselves and the replys on the thread. Not to say it's unfair at all cause i'm still in the top 10 (hopefully staying there so i can use the plat to reserve my name in DL) but even if i wasn't i'd say it was a fun run anyways. I have a few ideas later on to enhance forum polls to filter out the assuming and pointing of the finger.

-Make the contest submissions hidden in the forum thread so nobody can look upon them and edit their post later on. I was a member of a forum that hid threads instantly when they were posted but could still be edited, so i know this can be done somehow.

-Don't post names on the poll as this strays the point of voting for the best entry to voting for someone you know (popularity contest)

-Throw some rules in there! Rules are good and when they're in place, most people follow them :] (no spam advertising in game, no bribing players, etc)

-Make newly accounts unable to participate in polls. Make it so they either need to post a certain amount of times or their account needs to be a certain amount of days old. This would stop vote boosting.

Hope these ideas are taken into consideration :]

Swimmingstar
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
So after seeing the latest forum contest poll with the mummy catchphrases and me being apart of it, I really truly payed a lot of attention towards it and saw 'patterns' in the votes themselves and the replys on the thread. Not to say it's unfair at all cause i'm still in the top 10 (hopefully staying there so i can use the plat to reserve my name in DL) but even if i wasn't i'd say it was a fun run anyways. I have a few ideas later on to enhance forum polls to filter out the assuming and pointing of the finger.

-Make the contest submissions hidden in the forum thread so nobody can look upon them and edit their post later on. I was a member of a forum that hid threads instantly when they were posted but could still be edited, so i know this can be done somehow.

-Don't post names on the poll as this strays the point of voting for the best entry to voting for someone you know (popularity contest)

-Throw some rules in there! Rules are good and when they're in place, most people follow them :] (no spam advertising in game, no bribing players, etc)

-Make newly accounts unable to participate in polls. Make it so they either need to post a certain amount of times or their account needs to be a certain amount of days old. This would stop vote boosting.

Hope these ideas are taken into consideration :]

Yeah I don't agree with some of these. Like someone could ask friends with no forum accounts to vote... they would be either spamming to vote or wouldn't be able to because they would have to wait. It's like you can't vote because your a different race... so I don't agree with that. I also don't agree with how you can't edit and see others posts. You can already see if someone edits... And people wouldn't be able to edit? You can't fix grammar or spelling or even add more phrases? And nobody would see your comments.

Also, if all these things were taken... what's the point of putting on forums? Why not just PM submissions or email?

Ihavenokills
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah I don't agree with some of these. Like someone could ask friends with no forum accounts to vote... they would be either spamming to vote or wouldn't be able to because they would have to wait. It's like you can't vote because your a different race... so I don't agree with that. I also don't agree with how you can't edit and see others posts. You can already see if someone edits... And people wouldn't be able to edit? You can't fix grammar or spelling or even add more phrases? And nobody would see your comments.

Also, if all these things were taken... what's the point of putting on forums? Why not just PM submissions or email?

sts wants active people on the forums and if new accounts were made then left alone for good it would look bad with 1000 accounts made but only 100 are active still. almost everyone that i've talked to who isn't an active forumer that participated in the poll have only made an account just to get their friends off their backs about it then they left. This takes names up as well.

Making new accounts and not being able to vote in a poll has nothing to do with discriminating against races so please don't compare it like that. Many other forums do this and it doesn't effect the people in anyway.

I do state in the hidden post idea that you CAN still edit your post even though it's hidden. So im not entirely sure where you getting this from. Its a submission page for a contest, not a discussion thread. You can make a general discussion post to chat about the contest.

People feel that PM or emails are not looked over fairly and this would cause the pointing of fingers again. I'm sure the sts team would not like their emails or PM's spammed up with submissions. You also can't edit these.

Swimmingstar
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
sts wants active people on the forums and if new accounts were made then left alone for good it would look bad with 1000 accounts made but only 100 are active still. almost everyone that i've talked to who isn't an active forumer that participated in the poll have only made an account just to get their friends off their backs about it then they left. This takes names up as well.

Making new accounts and not being able to vote in a poll has nothing to do with discriminating against races so please don't compare it like that. Many other forums do this and it doesn't effect the people in anyway.

I do state in the hidden post idea that you CAN still edit your post even though it's hidden. So im not entirely sure where you getting this from. Its a submission page for a contest, not a discussion thread. You can make a general discussion post to chat about the contest.

People feel that PM or emails are not looked over fairly and this would cause the pointing of fingers again. I'm sure the sts team would not like their emails or PM's spammed up with submissions. You also can't edit these.

Sorry if I didn't clarify enough but I meant that it would be like not being able to speak out your opinions.

Swimmingstar
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Also another contest used email submissions.

JTZ
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah i dont like the advertising in game... 3 people asked me to vote for them, and they were AoA's! :D

Dudjdj
02-08-2012, 10:37 PM
They want to win!AND STS said it was ok for people to advertise

Ihavenokills
02-09-2012, 01:15 AM
but its a contest not an election -_- ... nobody likes to be spammed constantly to vote for someone. gets annoying after a while

Samhayne
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I can appreciate your concerns, but part of the objective of the recent Mummy Catchphrase contest is to get new people interested and involved in the community. For that reason, we wouldn't want to limit new accounts from being involved. Also, we wanted people to tell their friends to come vote - that was sort of the point. I know that some people don't like a "popularity contest" but that's kinda what it is about.

Also, if someone is "spamming" you to get their vote, sounds like they aren't really your friend, or they need a good talking too (or boot) by a guildmaster.

StompArtist
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Sam: Now that the contest is closed I would like to bring up an issue that crossed my mind (from the numbers on this contest I don't think anyone has done it). Could someone just create account after account on the forums to make themselves win?

Samhayne
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Sam: Now that the contest is closed I would like to bring up an issue that crossed my mind (from the numbers on this contest I don't think anyone has done it). Could someone just create account after account on the forums to make themselves win?

It's possible. It is also very easy to spot if we go looking. Ideally there would be enough other people voting to make that a pretty difficult tact to take.

Hopefully, when we get a single sign on system (coming in the future months) where you don't have to create a separate login for the forums (but can just use your game login) we'll get more traction for these events and competitions.

Sryyoulose
02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
It's possible. It is also very easy to spot if we go looking. Ideally there would be enough other people voting to make that a pretty difficult tact to take.

Hopefully, when we get a single sign on system (coming in the future months) where you don't have to create a separate login for the forums (but can just use your game login) we'll get more traction for these events and competitions.
Maybe... With each or atleast junior member to member... Your not allowed to take part of polls... Or contests and such!

Ihavenokills
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM

^this sounds promising. can't wait for that :] i hope it doesnt nerf your current post counts and thanks

Ihavenokills
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I can appreciate your concerns, but part of the objective of the recent Mummy Catchphrase contest is to get new people interested and involved in the community. For that reason, we wouldn't want to limit new accounts from being involved. Also, we wanted people to tell their friends to come vote - that was sort of the point. I know that some people don't like a "popularity contest" but that's kinda what it is about.

oh :eek: lol makes sense