PDA

View Full Version : an offline mode? (For players who can't connect)

Skeletonlord
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
What would you guys say about an offline mode for Pocket Legends where you can level up and gain gold, but with local connections.

I know it has been suggested, but I like the idea.

Tell me what you think.

PL Playa
02-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes that would use less battery as well

Engelhard
02-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Mmo = massive multiplayer ONLINE. Lol

Snakespeare
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
If you want to play a single-player FRPG, try Aralon.

What you're asking is not only nearly impossible, it's not worth the cost to develop it.

RBeltran
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Would be kinda boring IMO. I play Pocket Legends so I can meet and play with other people.

Kaytar
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Read the Dark Legends post by dev. I belive they are bringing offline mode to darklegends. I read it somewhere...

Swampy
02-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Its definitely more fun talking to people than just a bunch of NPCs. Thats what makes PL better than other apps :D

Cahaun
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Yea it can get boring but at least my battery won't get drained at 10% per minute. Plus it would be good if the ping is too high and I can turn off my internet so I can play without worry!

Lowlyspy
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I see huge problems with offline play. In many games i have seen that were both offline and online capable the dreaded modders are a HUGE problem. Usually when a game is offline capable you have to have the save data and game software on your device or on an external storage device (like a CD) in order to use the offline capabilities. Think about the CoD franchise, every game they make always has a problem with modders. Why? Because the modders have the game's software at their disposal so they can create the mod and integrate it into the game itself.

I say keep away from offline play unless STS wants to have a department devoted to nothing more than dealing with modders.

adidaman
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Lowly.

Appleisaac
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
At first I was like YESSSSSS then I thought about it/read the popular opinion and I was like WHAT THE HECK R U THINKING!?!? Jk jk :) good idea just very costy and would probably add tons of saving glitches.

Sryyoulose
02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
@lowly
If it's connected to a direct stream with a certain memory capacity and different code other then java/bluejay/windows 99% of mods go bye bye

Samhayne
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
The problem with offline mode is, are there rewards? Say can you get gold and exp? If so, that means that the game has to trust the client to tell them what that person did while they are offline and that is very exploitable (hack the game client). Right now, you have to connect to the game server to do anything and that keeps it darn near impossible to hack.

For that reason alone we wouldn't have offline progression tie into the online world.

Skeletonlord
02-09-2012, 03:29 PM
The problem with offline mode is, are there rewards? Say can you get gold and exp? If so, that means that the game has to trust the client to tell them what that person did while they are offline and that is very exploitable (hack the game client). Right now, you have to connect to the game server to do anything and that keeps it darn near impossible to hack.

For that reason alone we wouldn't have offline progression tie into the online world.

I understand what you mean, but it would benefit a lot of people.

JaytB
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I'll stick with what I said in the exact same thread from 3 weeks ago..

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?t=48537

Lowlyspy
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I understand what you mean, but it would benefit a lot of people.
And hinder many more. It's a nice idea in theory but it would cause more problems than solutions in practice.

Swords
02-09-2012, 10:40 PM
ok let me imagine this:

so im playing in offline mode, hmm i said as i kill aliens by myself, wow...... I need help ....... Wheres the people who help me? Rev or heal? anyone???? Oh yeah im in offline mode.. :( stinks that i also cant loot drops,gold and exp.
i also cant talk to friends! the only people i can talk to is npc but they are boring....

Back to online mode: YAY i have people helping me pass this lvl! WOOT i got a pink!

See the diff?

Kaiserwarrior
02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
I'll stick with what I said in the exact same thread from 3 weeks ago..

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?t=48537
Yea my cool tread lol

Hadesofshadow
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM
samhayne dont be so cocky who can and cant hack your game. Offline mode makes it easier to hack but i could still hack the server.

Lowlyspy
02-11-2012, 03:17 AM
Oh joy, i see you being quite the peach in the near future.

Fuzzywig
02-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Swords is right, the levels would be very tedious in offline

Sryyoulose
02-11-2012, 07:03 PM
samhayne dont be so cocky who can and cant hack your game. Offline mode makes it easier to hack but i could still hack the server.

Yup that's why your level 20 with 4k gold cause you hacked the server and made a WHOLE 1k AND ADDED 3 XP wow your rolling now!

ipodfanatic
02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes that would be awesome but that would define the fact the games a mmorpg