PDA

View Full Version : Funnest class to play

Salutee
08-01-2010, 12:28 PM
What do you guys think is the funnest class or hybrid to play? Personally, I like being a paladin.;)

Royce
08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Paladin is fun, but a melee weapon is really annoying to use without beckon or any stun skills. I think full Dex mage is the most fun to play.

Salutee
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
ya they are pretty fun too I was using one for a long time but I like the survival of the paladin. I was wondering what are mage bears or str birds like? They seem pretty fun.

Royce
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
ya they are pretty fun too I was using one for a long time but I like the survival of the paladin.

I guess it all depends on play style, but I find I can survive at least as well, if not better with my dex mage, staying at range, than I can with my paladin if I truly play as a melee character (not just running around spamming skills IOW ;) ).
I also think Warbird looks interesting. I might build one of those next...
Smartybear might be good, but they just look too ridiculous. I don't think I could play one ;)

bmc85uk
08-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I've never understood the purpose of int bears/birds, without definable classes they're stuck with warrior/archer skills, and with int being conducive to squishyness, they just seem to be weaker versions of their pure counterparts.

Royce
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I've never understood the purpose of int bears/birds, without definable classes they're stuck with warrior/archer skills, and with int being conducive to squishyness, they just seem to be weaker versions of their pure counterparts.

I think the main appeal of Int may just be that you get ranged weapons with procs like nightmare (best bow effects are little freeze and stun procs), and maybe increased mana pool, but I've never quite understood myself.
Edit: There are also a lot of Int weapons that do a little AOE on target damage.

bmc85uk
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I guessed as much, but for me, gear shouldn't be the defining factor in what class you play, sure an archer uses a bow and I enjoy that, but I play an archer to be an evasive/dps class. Anyway I don't need to tell you this you're already somewhat in agreement :)

My solution? Open the race/class combinations, do this through the implementation of skill trees, it's all in my 'Overhaul' thread (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?4677-Overhaul&highlight=Overhaul) incase you wanted more detailed info.

Banned
08-01-2010, 01:47 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Just created a int bird yesterday (my now ninja bird, was previously one), they match up quite evenly to ninja birds.

bmc85uk
08-01-2010, 01:55 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Just created a int bird yesterday (my now ninja bird, was previously one), they match up quite evenly to ninja birds.

I realise that, from what I've read, int bears at one point were unstoppable, what I don't understand is; why?

In any other game a character would only follow int for higher mana/spells, so without that what's the point?

Thoth overrules the need for a large mana pool and only the enchantress can use spells. With classes locked to race, while int hybrids are currently feasible, to me they seem to be completely avoiding their logical purpose - casters.

Banned
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I realise that, from what I've read, int bears at one point were unstoppable, what I don't understand is; why?

In any other game a character would only follow int for higher mana/spells, so without that what's the point?

Thoth overrules the need for a large mana pool and only the enchantress can use spells. With classes locked to race, while int hybrids are currently feasible, to me they seem to be completely avoiding their logical purpose - casters.

The main reason seems to be, like Royce stated, the nightmare proc on wands. Mix that with break armor, and it's an extremely deadly crit (also an insta combo). Same goes for the int bear, except hellscream is used in place of break armor.

Also, if using all Isis, which is possible with a int bird (high mana pool), you get 36 dodge instead of the standard 35.

bmc85uk
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Yup, there's no doubt that they work, thanks to weapon procs. I don't know how you feel about it, but as far as I'm concerned that's absurd.

INT hybrids should have use of spells; the game works against itself when an INT Warrior using ranged weapons, with less survivability, still have to get in close to use his mélee skills.

STR Bear - fine enough.
DEX Bear - using daggers; dangerous enough given that bears can be highly evasive.
using bows; just doesn't gel well, yet still formidable in pvp thanks to the broken game mechanics

STR Bird - an evasive warrior with highly powerful ranged skills.
DEX Bird - using daggers; pretty much the same as above, except birds have no armour boost like bears, but have better evades, so super evasive/hit/crit but squishy when unbuffed.
using bows; similar to above with the ability to kite.

The Mage I wont go into, as she's the only class that works reasonably enough specced into any of the three stats; the Warrior/Mage (Paladin/Battlemage), the Archer/Mage (Ranger) and the Pure Mage.

Have a look at the skill tree section here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?4677-Overhaul), ideally, any race could follow any skill tree no matter what stat they were focussed on.
For example an INT Bear could still be a Warrior with high INT, however he could be an Ursan Archer with INT, or an Ursan Mage with INT.

Spell crit should be seperate from weapon crit.

My idea of the INT classes would be:-

INT Ench - highest spell strength/crit, best magic pool/regen.
The essence of a pure caster, lowest weapon damage output, highest magic damage output, lowest survivability.

INT Bear - highest defense, best health pool/regen.
A Warrior with spells, medium weapon damage output, medium magic damage output, highest survivability.

INT Bird - highest weapon strength/crit, medium health/mana pool/regen.
A DPS class with spells, highest weapon damage output, lowest magic damage output, medium survivability.

EDIT:

Some people hate the idea of open race/class/skill-tree combinations, PL is currently very original in that it breaks so many rules.
A lot of people are happy to play the INT hybrids the way they are, though I will not play most of them as I consider them to be broken (although yes, some of them do function; some even particularly well).
Certain people prefer the way they are to the way I would ideally like them to (think they should) work. Pocket Legends has changed so much already, and I have high hopes for change in the future, however left unchanged, this is probably the main thing that will drive me away from the game.
It essentially comes down to the community as a whole, if StS lose more by changing it, I'm happy to accept that, but I won't be sticking around to play a game I don't agree with.

Salutee
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
wow thanks for all that.
What about talon bears? the extra armor should help right
and i was reading the 1.3 updated that will be coming and it said that armor would reduce crit so then a talon bear all buffed would have very high survivability right?

bmc85uk
08-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Don't take all that I said as hard fact, it's just my opinion, but consider that a bear has iron blood (armour boost) and a bird, unlike a bear, buffs hit% as well as crit%.

With high DEX, hit% shouldn't be a problem (although high evades with buffs counter this).

A talon bear should be less damage output than a bow bear but with higher defense (and added stat bonuses from 1hand/wing combo), and slightly less damage than a dagger bear as talons have a range advantage.

However that is in theory, I haven't actually tested it, other people will know better.

FluffNStuff
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't take all that I said as hard fact, it's just my opinion, but consider that a bear has iron blood (armour boost) and a bird, unlike a bear, buffs hit% as well as crit%.

With high DEX, hit% shouldn't be a problem (although high evades with buffs counter this).

A talon bear should be less damage output than a bow bear but with higher defense (and added stat bonuses from 1hand/wing combo), and slightly less damage than a dagger bear as talons have a range advantage.

However that is in theory, I haven't actually tested it, other people will know better.

While Rage does not increase hit percentage, it does increase damage:
Naked Dex Bear: Damage 41 - 47, DPS 29
Raged Naked Bear (Won't Someone think of the Children) : Damage 66-72, DPS 46
Dagger Dex Bear: Damage 85-86, DPS 131
Raged Dagger Bear: Damage 110-111, DPS 170 <-----!!!!! (Reason Shiv Bear so powerful)
Reason Shiv Bear so powerful: The +25dmg ever .6 seconds.

As for higher evade on a bird, they get +50 dodge. Bears get +30 Dodge on Evade and +16 dodge on taunt, and that can be staggered. Bears also start out with +3 more dodge then Birds and Birds start with +2 more crit. Birds have 250 health and 250 Mana, while bears have 300 health and 200 mana.

bmc85uk
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info, yet more examples of the peculiar workings in PL.

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I love to play my Ursan Mage. He would appreciate being respected for what he is. :p

Whomp and Stomp, baby! Rage does add to the staff, it does increase your chance to CRIT and the amount of damage you do. Crit is about double damage. Without Rage, I crit every one in ten or so. With Rage, I crit about half the time. Huge difference in ACTUAL DPS.

Secondly, Stomping them back so they can't hit you, and pumping the damage into them as they recover and return is easy money. By the time they get back up to you, your Stomp is ready again. Add some Iron Blood and Evasion, and you're there. It's FUN! Only the Ranged Bosses kill you, but you just chug potions, same as for any character. (I imagine Bowbear is pretty similar strategy.)

I understand that some "purists" think that I am not supposed to be enjoying myself, but I can't help it. ;D (that's a joke)

It is true that he needs a LOT of mana potions (so does my elf, for that matter), but there are some items that help, too.

cry
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
For me Bowmage, not PvE but PvP E-z kills Lotza anger over how the dam archer killed you once again =) Good times. Anyways I think WarBirds, or MagicalBirdys (?) look pretty darn fun. When I get some time I will be making 4 more chars =/
Warbird, IntBird (?), Bird, Bowbear or Pally.

Hey Snake (Whatcha prefer, Snake, or Playwright =)) why don't you get some of your characters level 45? You do have an impressive array of 25-31s.

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Was unable to get a Birdbrain to work.

cry
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Birdbrain? Int Bird? What now.

KingFu
08-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I have tried most combinations, except war bird, and pure bear. Int bear is fun, pretty good at PvP with full Isis too, lots of dodge. My personal favorites are bowbears and pallys, bowbears have high armor, DPS, and health, making them a killing machine, as for pallys, they have fairly high health, nice mana, good H/S and M/S, and best of all, heal works nicely with a larger health pool. I would recommend bowbears since they are by far the funnest at lower levels especially. Str is kinda boring at low levels, since you aren't ranged. I would definitely go with bowbear, and you can always respec to int or str later on if you don't like it.

My favorite class = Bear
My favorite Spec = Bowbear/Talonbear

Pretty good in PvP, nice PvE with the right build, and is overall a full spec! Have fun!

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
"Snakes" is good... or "Snake" as in Snake Plissken (Escape from New York.)

There wasn't a cool name for a smart bird, so I just made up Birdbrain. *shrug*

I made a post about slow levelling. It's intentional. I made another about not leeching or hitchhiking. Check 'em out in the New Players section. It's just a matter of taste. This cool game allows all kinds of styles of play, and it's only in its infancy. Gotta love it!

thanks,

Snakes

cry
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I just noticed you are Kingfu, I was wondering who the mediocre TalonBear was =)
I was wondering about going bowbear, I always almost respec then resident steps in owns everyone on Bear and I forget about it.

KingFu
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I just noticed you are Kingfu, I was wondering who the mediocre TalonBear was =)
I was wondering about going bowbear, I always almost respec then resident steps in owns everyone on Bear and I forget about it.

Res is invincible, lol, he thinks he's the best warrior/tank, which I don't really know one better in PvP, but PvP isn't everything. I am not denying that he is VERY good, but there are a lot of tanks/bears at the level cap out there, and IMO PvP doesn't qualify for everything.

cry
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Only Pallys kill resident, and only good ones. Anyways, if I could solo dungeons on my Bowmage... O keep wishing.

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I think you CAN solo a bowmage. I will make one of those sometime, just for soloing. :)

cry
08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Do you think, and excuse me when I say. WDF are you talking about, soloing in PvP? As in Solo - One on One - 1v1? Because I am talking about Soloing bosses, which I have seen Bowbears, and Tanks do. How a Bowmage would do that is beyond me. As soon as buffs are gone BYE, BYE.

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't speak PvPspeak. I have never done it. Didn't even know you COULD solo in PvP. ???

I meant, it is a RIOT (Funnest class to play is our theme) to solo an ursan mage in PvE. I am sure it would be a lot of fun with a Bow Bear, too.

And, since we can cajole each other now with no offense taken ... have you never tried STAGGERING your buffs? It's called strategy.

cry
08-02-2010, 02:26 PM
No I was just wondering if you were so out of touch as to say solo in PvP =)

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes, I am very out-of-touch. :-)

This is the first MMO I have ever played. True.

cry
08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Eh, first MMORPG (You just said Massively Multi-Player) I have played that I think is srs bsns. One that is fun and not:
Runescape how can you play such garbage
AQ Am I 12?
Other MMORPGS life, and the sun shure feels nice

bmc85uk
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
MMO is just an abbreviation for MMORPG/MMOG, yes I know it's not much of an abbreviation.
I can see why you all like your INT hybrids, I'm just hoping for open skill trees so that I can make an INT hybrid with casting abilities.

Snakespeare
08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
In case you didn't see it last year (Sept 9, 2009 Giants v. Brewers). Prince Fielder demos the Stomp skill... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx70zbmnNJI

bmc85uk
08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
He's clearly a DEX bear :p