PDA

View Full Version : Farming or Merching?

Entertaining
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I want to know everyones opinions...Which is most entertaining ;) and which will get you more money?

Ihavenokills
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Merching for money if you know what your doing and you have enough patience.

also, while you merch you can talk to people in CS for entertainment.

imo :)

Swampy
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Merching...its easier xD

Sryyoulose
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
MerchantIng can lead to big and small profit as well as farming I do Both! This way I have 2 ways of income ^_^ try it sometime =D

Whirlzap
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Be a pro hardcore farmer like me.

Cytokinesis
02-16-2012, 11:44 PM
I find farming better since your actually pushing another item into the PLeconomy rather than reselling the same thing.

zeusabe
02-17-2012, 02:04 AM
While it's good to be familiar with both farming and merchanting, I'd put more weight on farming. I'm doing both. Think about it this way, merchants rely on the current supplies in the market so they are very dependent on certain things like timeline of the campaign, the demand, historical movement of prices, you have to be able to put these pieces together to create a story and niche certain products to trade, of course, the more products you master, the better. It's fun in a sense that you'll be dealing with economic tendencies that happen in real life, which is cool in my opinion, you're given the chance to project prices and sell them at a higher price, negotiate with other merchants, etc. however, if you don't know what you're doing, you might end up being worse than before you started merching. I consider merching a game within the game, it's a science, it takes a certain level of analysis compared to farming. If you're the type that likes to deal with data, numbers, crunch them together to make a story out if it, then merching is for you. I know a lot of merchants, but only few successful ones, in practice, just like previous posts, you can earn a lot more when you're merching. If you're not earning way above what you need, then you're probably doing something wrong. Now, closing in on farming. Farming is the foundation of merching, without farmers there would be no merchants at all, so in that context, the economy loves farmers not merchants since they're the one "supplying" the market. Now closing in on supply, merchants cannot create "supply" strictly speaking, they simply recycle intelligently, that being said, farmers have the ability to dictate prices without worrying of losing investments. I assure you, I can kill a market, if I farm just enough products. Merchants cannot do this since they are very dependent on existing prices and their projections. Being liquid is also a factor, when I say liquid, it means holding actual gold. Personally, I don't like having so much items and not be able to convert it to gold, merching has this tendency, farmers liquidate very quick because they can sell at very very low prices, lower than merchants, so you will always have that leverage. Plus, farmers are sought after in the game, once merchants identify you, they will scramble to buy your items at lower prices, so in effect, you will always have empty inventory and just be left with gold, no waiting, etc.That being said, farmers have low risk, high reward provided you invest time, while merchants have high-to-medium risk, with high reward, provided you study the flow. People will argue that, well, merchants can out earn farmers, that is correct, but in my book, why would you need 50million? Anyone can lie about their gold, so it's not even about bragging rights. Basically it'll be about your ability to purchase items, I assure you, being a farmer will allow you to achieve this minus the "headaches" and hassle that merching will bring. So if you're a minimalist just enough to get those best items for your main and twinks, just like me, farming is the way to go, but if you just like to see millions and millions of gold in your stash and other characters without having actual use on them after buying all the items you need whether for your main or twink, then merching is the way (plus the conditions I established early on). But to each their own, hope I helped. Thank you.

doomednoob
02-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Even though I'm over in SL primarily, I farm typically, as I'm relatively broke in view of the general public. (40k and a razor) However, I manage an Italian resteraunt and have a great grasp on economics as well as sociology/psycology. Would I have any benefit of trying to get my foot in the door if I only had enough to flip one item at a time? Or should I farm until I have more to work with?

On an unrelated note. Someone up top mentioned "story," which I read as "history." It reminded me of one of my 36 different Diablo II accounts. I've got. full 3-ring binder of noted pertaining to nothing but specific items. I know for a fact that the gloves on my Smiter have passed through 8 peoples hands. Names, dates etc. That's a game that had the best economy I've ever seen. External, for forum gold as a currency via forums, however, a booming economy none the less.

ninjaduck
02-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Farming -> selling -> buying -> merching

JaytB
02-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Merching isn't for everyone. I have heard of many people actually loosing more gold than they gained. Merching takes a lot of time and effort, if you want to do it right. Personally, I do both merching and farming. I make more gold with merching, but farming breaks up the endless looking for deals.

So, what is best? That's all subjective IMO, as long as you have fun in what you're doing, that's what counts :)

saool
02-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Both :cool:

Skeletonlord
02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Id say merchanting is so much easier than farming. With farming you dont know what to expect, and with merchanting, you can get money for sure. Farming normally gives you more liquidated drops, but merchanting can get you more money quicker.

It is entirely up to the person which one is better, but these are my thoughts.

Imsebastiaanl
02-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Be a pro hardcore farmer like me.

Lol

Entertaining
02-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Merching isn't for everyone. I have heard of many people actually loosing more gold than they gained. Merching takes a lot of time and effort, if you want to do it right. Personally, I do both merching and farming. I make more gold with merching, but farming breaks up the endless looking for deals.

So, what is best? That's all subjective IMO, as long as you have fun in what you're doing, that's what counts :)

Ya thats always a problem...merching defiantly takes skill

Duped
02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Farming is more fun (why own gold just to have it?) but merchanting will pay better on average. I'm 80% farmer / 20 % merchant and 50% chatter and I've been able to make more gold than I'd need to equip 3 toons with the best top level gear.

Eearay
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Farming for poor people merching for chars with mulla

Suentous PO
12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
i was about to butt in untill i saw - op, 02-16-2012

xcainnblecterx
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Back from the dead kinda thread

RaptorBlitz
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I know this thread is old, but I'm a farmer. Think about it this way. After about an hour of farming, say, Dragon's Nest, and no pinks drop to you, you can still liquidate the junk for about 10k. If a pink or multiple pinks drop to you, you're in the rich zone. Besides, merching really is not my cup of tea. The extent to which I know about merching is to hold my lvl10 Winter Fest Duckfoot for a few months so I can sell if for some serious dough. :D

Chopper
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
farming

i play for enjoyment. merching is too much like work to me lol

Ladycandyheal
12-28-2012, 06:53 AM
A little of both

Ubernewber
12-28-2012, 07:18 AM
I fail at merching I have no idea what to merch hehe

xxpanzeexx
12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I prefer dancing in the streets with my tin can.

Unacel
12-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I love playing and the excitement of drops but I have gained nearly all my wealth from merching. It does take time. You need to absolutely know the markets and what you can buy for and sell for. I'm out of the game now but ililililil and I used to control the winter fest market. It really is fun merching but its hard to log in every couple hours and check sales, prices, and chats.

If u get into merching...start with one set of items..nothing else. Learn it and learn it good. Then move elsewhere. Don't buy just because you have nothing for sale. This happens all the time and its the sole reason for losses in the market. If you don't know the market, don't buy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ogbuehi
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I use quests to farm for items that I just undercut in the cs. That's how I got to zillionaire. No farming or merching for me.

Mage till the end
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I like to enexoemsive glyph merching, make 10-20k per sale. Slow but sure money