PDA

View Full Version : Music

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
So, adidaman's post in hank's thread made me wanna correct him, but I didn't wanna stray off topic. So, it made me wonder, how do you (everyone) judge music? Have you ever played music? Ever tried switching from 32nd notes into 3/4 timing and making every transition sound clean? Ever played a triplet? So, how is it you judge music?

maiohwmai
02-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I can't play a lick. I like what I like.

My mp3 player has Hank Williams Jr., Notorious B.I.G., Big Iz, White Zombie, George Strait and tons of local New Orleans rap.

Whatever.

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Ever listen to hank the first or the third?

adidaman
02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Actually, I've played guitar, drums, and trumpet for around 10 years now. I can read music, and have taken almost 6 years of music appreciation courses in high school and college. My opinion was based purely on the way I listen to music, and I have the education to back up what I said, if you'd like to have that conversation. Please don't call people out in threads.

maiohwmai
02-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I love Hank Sr., but don't have any of his stuff. I have been wholly unimpressed by little Hank.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Actually, I've played guitar, drums, and trumpet for around 10 years now. I can read music, and have taken almost 6 years of music appreciation courses in high school and college. My opinion was based purely on the way I listen to music, and I have the education to back up what I said, if you'd like to have that conversation. Please don't call people out in threads.

I'd love to have the conversation. And who am I calling out? Yeah, I said I wanted to correct you about, but that was it. I made it pretty clear the rest of the post was to everyone, and what I wanted to correct you on was what Hank had said, his thread was for people who liked metal. Now, that we've got that clarified, that's the whole point of this thread, a conversation about music.

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I love Hank Sr., but don't have any of his stuff. I have been wholly unimpressed by little Hank.

Gotta disagree with ya about little Hank, but Hank Sr. is definitely awesome.

maiohwmai
02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
That's why there's chocolate AND vanilla.

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 08:36 PM

And strawberry for those Beiber fans.

maiohwmai
02-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Olololo

Hankomachos
02-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Lmfao!!!!! :)

Artentreri
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Or would it be rainbow sherbet?
:wink: Just playin kids.

Suentous PO
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
I also play multi instruments, which I think can enhance your appreciation for technicality. I have also noticed some of my musician friends who seemed to loose their original joy of a genera because they had learned Some things are "wrong" or not technically good. I had to drop that train of thought at times and imagine what others gain from their love of "bad" music. Sometimes the backstory of a proformer makes me love the music when I at first hated it. Art is a fickle and mercurial thing. In short I try to see art/music with several of my personalities so I'm not shut off to anything. At one time would reflexively said "I hate country" if it was brought up, I try to no longer be that 13yr old knowitall I was once.
-aboynamedsue

Artentreri
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Very well said, and I know exactly how you feel. When I was younger there's no way you'd find me listening to any bluegrass or pretty much anything alternative, now I've come to love Keller Williams, Cake, Ben Harper, Etc. There's always an exception though, I've always loved Blind Melon. Oh yeah, if anybody else likes Keller, he's got a new kids album out, and it's awesome. It's him and his daughter, and the album is just called kids. Great driving around music. :D