PDA

View Full Version : Will be reducing the time I spend on PL by a lot for the forseeaable future

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
As fate would have it, my phone recently died. I have recently (after several weeks; apparently customs for whatever reason held my replacement phone), replaced it.

Anyways, I began to take more time in a World of Warcraft. Now that I have a replacement phone, I realize that I have little desire to continue being on the forums. Now that I return to the world of PC gaming, the limitations of mobile gaming become much more apparent to me. I have always been a PC gamer at heart and one that has been noteworthy for his open dislike of console gaming.

Furthermore, I have considered leaving long before. The great news is that with so many PC MMOs and an increasing number of mobile ones, the competition for hardcore gamers willing to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of their time each year is very fierce.

It is clear that STS is taking a direction that I strongly disagree with and there is little reason to be optimistic. There is no place for oldies like myself and although I am not an old player in a strict sense, it is the group that I most strongly identify with. The era of people like Royce and Physiologic is over; it is very much a Brave New World for PL. Long term gains are being sacrificed for short term ones. It will be interesting, but unsurprisingly to me if this section is moderated; I will be saddened though if it is. Likewise, the era of players like Xrax in PvP is over and in it's place, the era of more and more people who cannot stand losing has become overwhelming.

This is not a goodbye in the strict sense; I will still come back and will still be on in game (particularly if Humania turns to be a good release; on that note, please do not ask me for my belongings here as I will be on at times), but it will no longer be the main game that I play. There are 2 long posts I intend to write; one comparing WoW to PL, and the other a PvP guide. I may or may not write them.

On that note, particularly to the people that I have become close with, my fellow guildies and people I know well from the forums, I wish you the best of luck in life. PM me for my email address if I have not already given it to you; you have earned my trust enough for me to give you my identity. Farewell for now; ask me if you wish for my WoW identity.

Ardon
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Let's of older core players leaving.

I totally agree with everything you said.

Cya dude

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Let's of older core players leaving.

Indeed there are. I have always believed though that when something happens that you don't like - vote with your feet. I gave PL much more time than I would have had it been any other developer. I had though that STS was genuinely different. Now though ... I can see the truth.

Snakespeare
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Being without a luxury for a month and a half sure makes you realize why they call it a luxury. You don't really need any of it.

I gotta agree that losing Royce and Phys were big blows for me, but we have quality folks still.

I'm glad you're not giving away your stuff. Humania might rock, you never know.

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Being without a luxury for a month and a half sure makes you realize why they call it a luxury. You don't really need any of it.

I gotta agree that losing Royce and Phys were big blows for me, but we have quality folks still.

I'm glad you're not giving away your stuff. Humania might rock, you never know.

The world got along just fine without smartphones. It is not a necessity. Food, water, and protection from the elements are. It is a sad testament to the state of our world when we have billionaires, some of whom deserve their money, but others who are highly unethical, when there is a large number of people in our world who cannot even get the basics.

There are quite a few others who are a big loss. Ellyidol and Moogerfooger for example. It's noteworthy that they did not leave voluntarily, but for reasons very similar to myself. I cannot imagine that I am a big loss to PL, so my exit should be relatively discreet.

Finally, I am not too optimistic about the future of PL. In any event, I have found another game to occupy myself with.

StompArtist
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
If you decide to play StarWars The Old Republic hit me up at stompartist007@gmail.com

Take care man.

Zeus
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, many, many players are leaving. I'm saddened by all their losses. It's a hit after another hit. I've noticed, players quit in waves. I'm hoping that this is the final part of the wave.

Attack, You and I have gotten quite close over the past few months. I PM'd you my email if you want to talk or anything. You will be sorely missed as a friend. I mean, who am I going to share conversations with now? :( It's really depressing!

mackjack
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
@WhoIsThis

I've enjoyed reading your guides and suggestions (I don't aggree with all of your suggestions, but nonetheless they are interesting and thought provoking), and it's sad to see another old timer go.

Good luck with your future endeavors, and hope to see you in game once a while.

p.s. I also don't like the new-and-improved STS, but I'm gonna stick it out and see how things end.

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 09:45 PM
If you decide to play StarWars The Old Republic hit me up at [edited out by myself]

Take care man.

Careful with that email - it will probably be edited out.

Otherwise, best of luck.

vulgarstrike
02-21-2012, 09:57 PM
While I never met you in game, you put it so perfectly and rationally what I've never put the effort in to elaborate.

Thank you for voicing a lot of the concerns of the "oldies."
I do wish you luck in your future ventures.

VS

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 10:08 PM
@WhoIsThis

p.s. I also don't like the new-and-improved STS, but I'm gonna stick it out and see how things end.

If it is like PC MMOs that have taken this path, well. there are reasons why I have decided to jump off. But there still is a window for STS; Humania for one. A lot of players here will come back if they can turn around Humania. I may or may not be one of them though. For that to happen though, they are going to need something more epic than AO3 and changes in how they monetize PL.

While I never met you in game, you put it so perfectly and rationally what I've never put the effort in to elaborate.

Thank you for voicing a lot of the concerns of the "oldies."
I do wish you luck in your future ventures.

VS

To me, it's interesting that pre-nerf AO3 was known for it's difficulty. If you look at the K/Ds of all of the oldies, you'll see a sign and it wasn't their lack of skill. To some extent the last 2 dungeons have had a comparable level of difficulty. The differences though are that AO3 was mostly new content and that for-pay elixirs in their current form did not exist. Plus the average player skill at the time was much better. An oldie from 2010 would understand.

Farewell and good luck to you as well.

Finally, it would appear that somebody has ranked this a one-star thread. Apparently, I have enemies; most likely from PvP and active around here - there are some people that well, don't take well to losing. Quite fascinating; bitter to the end it would seem. Lol.

vulgarstrike
02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
If it is like PC MMOs that have taken this path, well. there are reasons why I have decided to jump off. But there still is a window for STS; Humania for one. A lot of players here will come back if they can turn around Humania. I may or may not be one of them though. For that to happen though, they are going to need something more epic than AO3 and changes in how they monetize PL.

To me, it's interesting that pre-nerf AO3 was known for it's difficulty. If you look at the K/Ds of all of the oldies, you'll see a sign and it wasn't their lack of skill. To some extent the last 2 dungeons have had a comparable level of difficulty. The differences though are that AO3 was mostly new content and that for-pay elixirs in their current form did not exist. Plus the average player skill at the time was much better. An oldie from 2010 would understand.

Farewell and good luck to you as well.

Finally, it would appear that somebody has ranked this a one-star thread. Apparently, I have enemies; most likely from PvP and active around here - there are some people that well, don't take well to losing. Quite fascinating; bitter to the end it would seem. Lol.

I think what's even more interesting is to look back on pre-nerf Ancient Swamps.
When the level cap was 35-ish (I believe), dying was an natural part of the game. Believe it or not, every single instance was a fight to the end. No elixers. No special stuff.

You know what? Back then, even having a full pink set was awesome.

But now, you can get by with platinum, speeding your way through the game and avoiding difficulties.

Swords
02-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, many, many players are leaving. I'm saddened by all their losses. It's a hit after another hit. I've noticed, players quit in waves. I'm hoping that this is the final part of the wave.

Attack, You and I have gotten quite close over the past few months. I PM'd you my email if you want to talk or anything. You will be sorely missed as a friend. I mean, who am I going to share conversations with now? :( It's really depressing!

IKR! every time i check the sunsets and happy trails thread i feel sad since many people posted threads about leaving :(

WhoIsThis
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
@ Vulgar:

I was not around to see that, but I imagine that things were quite different.

@ Swords

It would seem that you too are leaving us, no?

Hankomachos
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm sad to hear this. You were perhaps one of the few who had great ideas/opinions and projected them well in your posts.

Take care.

Swords
02-22-2012, 07:26 PM
@ Vulgar:

I was not around to see that, but I imagine that things were quite different.

@ Swords

It would seem that you too are leaving us, no?

sadly yes but i will be on pl maybe once a week and ill be on forums daily tho

kallima
02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Well, very sad to see you go though I knew it was just a matter of time, hopefully you'll be back with Humania. You will definitely be missed but while it was here, your insights and suggestions were usually spot on and honestly, if my wi-fi weren't on the fritz I would be joining the ranks of the departed.

But its been a tumultuous year for both the players and STS, at least you'll be back for a bit with Humania. I do hope it can bridge that gap for you, as well as those that previously left. When so many stay because of the community, and the community we love disappears - what holds us here?

XghostzX
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Attack,

It really sucks to see one of PL's leaders to just vanish away. I'm going to miss you a lot, and hopefully we see you around. I don't know what we would do without your words wisdom in all honesty. It's players like you that diserve the best of things for trying to change PL's to it's best.

Thanks for everything you have done.

Moogerfooger
02-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Well, very sad to see you go though I knew it was just a matter of time, hopefully you'll be back with Humania. You will definitely be missed but while it was here, your insights and suggestions were usually spot on and honestly, if my wi-fi weren't on the fritz I would be joining the ranks of the departed.

But its been a tumultuous year for both the players and STS, at least you'll be back for a bit with Humania. I do hope it can bridge that gap for you, as well as those that previously left. When so many stay because of the community, and the community we love disappears - what holds us here?

Not much, to your final question.

Once Royce, then later Phys, Yanis and Elly left either suddenly or slowly and asking each why offline, the main reason was there was nothing really left to learn and the game, and community to some extent, had gotten a little stale. A lot of players, like those guys, thrived on figuring out mechanics, tactics, strategies....with the exception of a couple of newer bosses in the last two campaigns, there's been no new skills, very few new strategies, recycled mobs abd map textures, etc. The thrill of discovery is a lot less as a result for those past players and for partially active players like Whoisthis or myself.

I've gone back to PC gaming as well, there is just way deeper gameplay and content. As Whoisthis mentioned, mobile games have their limitations and some of us want beyond that limit. STS did a great job w PL, but barring a miracle w Humania, which i honestly do not expect, i think PL has hit enough of a wall for the level of content some of us want and it's time to move on.

I'm over in Lord of the Rings Online and will be checking out Knights of the Old Republic soon. I'll be checking out Humania as well, because my OCD demands it :)

WhoIsThis
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
IKR! every time i check the sunsets and happy trails thread i feel sad since many people posted threads about leaving :(

The purpose of this section of the forums is to announce specifically that.

Regardless, it's clear that I'm not the only one. I'll say this much. It's going to take an Alien Oasis 3-like campaign, combined with major reforms in how platinum is charged for me to consider PL again. I think that the reasons for leaving for many oldies speaks for itself - most are not impressed with what has happened. It's true, inevitably people do move on, but when people are jumping like the way they are now; it's obvious that things have gone downhill for many.

Plus, there's a level of depth that I find missing in all mobile games and even console games don't approach my expectations.

Just remember STS, only a small percentage of F2P gamers will ever pay, let alone pay hundreds for a mobile game. When a person that is willing to spend hundreds leaves, it's a bigger blow than it seems, particularly if that one person has the ability to influence others to quit or stay. Quite a few people with that ability have left recently.

WhoIsThis
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Not much, to your final question.

Once Royce, then later Phys, Yanis and Elly left either suddenly or slowly and asking each why offline, the main reason was there was nothing really left to learn and the game, and community to some extent, had gotten a little stale. A lot of players, like those guys, thrived on figuring out mechanics, tactics, strategies....with the exception of a couple of newer bosses in the last two campaigns, there's been no new skills, very few new strategies, recycled mobs abd map textures, etc. The thrill of discovery is a lot less as a result for those past players and for partially active players like Whoisthis or myself.

Well, there is PvP and that has a steep learning curve. But otherwise yes, there is increasingly little. For me personally, I have indicated that this was not the main reason why I left. I left because of the direction that STS is taking. This isn't the first game I have left because it got over-monetized and I will not be surprised if it is the last.

MMOs are by the far most expensive type of game. A single RTS, RPG, FPS, or 4X game costs at most, $100 if you buy the special edition on launch day (and a fraction of that if you wait a couple of months). Many of these games have lots of mods and can easily get years of entertainment through their depth. It's important to keep all of this in perspective. It's also an interesting exercise to look at opportunity cost - you spent $x in a game; what else could you have bought? Was buying virtual goods or a subscription in an MMO a "worth it"? What about the time spent? Only you can answer that one.

Of course, money is not the only issue. It's the game itself - is it worth paying? There are some games that are so well made that I would be willing to fork out several hundred if the developer asked. Others ... I would not touch if they were in the bargain basement.