PDA

View Full Version : Today in History - Feb 22, 1980: "Do You Believe in Miracles?!?"

MimeRifle
02-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Thirty-two years ago today (okay, I just made myself feel kinda old right there) the United States Olympic Hockey team defeated the team from the U.S.S.R. in a "David vs. Goliath" type matchup. Many of us Americans who were around and aware at that time will never forget where we were when it happened. It was of course essentially a sporting event - but for Americans, at that late-cold-war time, it was a moment of unbridled patriotism. People in my generation at that time had no experience with being at war as we do today.

People forget this game was actually the semi-final of the tournament, and eventually winning the gold medal by defeating Finland was a tad anti-climactic to say the least!

The video gave me goosebumps!!

http://youtu.be/QTev5pSuYLk

(Other notable events on this date include the end of the Tet Offensive, 1968, and the birth of actress/mogul Drew Barrymore, 1975. ;) )

drewcapu
02-22-2012, 10:58 AM
I believe in miracles.
Where you from?
You sexy thing.

Artentreri
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
It's my girlfriend's birthday too. And didn't they do an American Dad spoof of this game?

MimeRifle
02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Happy Birthday Artentreri's Girlfriend, wherever you are!! (Yup, the episode is called "The Return of the Bling"!)