PDA

View Full Version : CareFree Forums

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
In a world where “97 percent of teenagers play video games” (Sieberg, 2011) you just can’t ignore the younger crowd and expose them to language and other elements that could very well harm the growth of your company and therefore you must take that into account when deciding whether to restrict the language and content that is presented.

SpaceTime Studios continues to do a marvelous job in keeping their forums and game a safe haven for the younger crowd, they are quick to delete posts with vulgar language, sexually oriented content, and otherwise not suitable topics for the younger crowd to view.

Unfortunately, what SpaceTime Studios has not taken into account is that although a percentage of their player base is in fact kids, many are not. According to the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) “Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older” And with “Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of video games being 18 years of age or older” (ESA) SpaceTime Studios can ill-afford to ignore the older audience.

Without having to constantly police the forums (thus chasing away older clients), how can they keep the younger safe? In my opinion, the best method for going about solving this problem would be to make a separate “adults only” forum to discuss the game and be able to talk freely and express opinions in practically any way that satisfies the adult player.

And I have done just that, I have created a separate forum that is age restricted (18+). In this way, adult gamers of the SpaceTime studios games will be able to go and talk freely without having to worry about what they say and whether it might not be appropriate for the younger audience.

And not unlike the SpaceTime Studios forums, I don’t want a vulgar experience either, so you are asked to respect others, never reveal your personal information, etc (very much like the STS forums rules).

For those of you SpaceTime Studios adult gamers who feel that they need an adult friendly environment in which to chat about STS games, I invite you to join us at www.CareFreeForums.com (http://carefreeforums.com)!!!

Bibliography
ESA, E. S. (n.d.). Gaming Industry Facts. Retrieved February 23, 2012, from The Entertainment Software Association: http://www.theesa.com/facts/
Sieberg, D. (2011). Are Video Games Actually Good For Kids? CBS News , 1.

P.S. STS, in no way is this a jab at you guys, rather this is fansite that will let the older members talk freely without having to worry.
P.P.S. The forums have been privatized, you will now need to signup to view the content (this should take care of any problems Airrie :))

Gluttony
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
How do you intend to ensure that only an 18 and older audience will have access? I mean that is the real issue here. Having a birthday being a required field will only allow others to lie about their ages. For example, Gamespot asks for birthday to be entered before viewing a video but you can enter anything without proof or otherwise required. I enter January 1, 1901 all the time without any issues. So unless a scan of one’s ID is required as payment for admission, it'll be hard to police this policy. Just as STS only banned users who entered ages under their limit or admitted they are underage, you won't know until it's too late.

dudetus
02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Really cool idea! And I am eligible to enter w00t!

I can like say a bad word over there? I can talk how much I drank last night and how crazy stuff I made? I can put Oysters and the-weapon-which-shall-not-be-mentioned everywhere without getting haters?

*Zero*
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
How do you intend to ensure that only an 18 and older audience will have access? I mean that is the real issue here. Having a birthday being a required field will only allow others to lie about their ages. For example, Gamespot asks for birthday to be entered before viewing a video but you can enter anything without proof or otherwise required. I enter January 1, 1901 all the time without any issues. So unless a scan of one’s ID is required as payment for admission, it'll be hard to police this policy. Just as STS only banned users who entered ages under their limit or admitted they are underage, you won't know until it's too late.
Exactly what I was thinking.

morfic
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Good idea bro.

EDIT: Doesn't really matter if the people there are truly 18+. Seems like it's just a mature fansite.

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Gluttony you make a valid point and all I can say is there is no way to Inforce it besides removing people you find are under the age of 18.

Like any place on the web that are for adults only, there is no way to make sure, you rely on the users truthfulness.

And dudetus, we don't want it to be a forum full of people swearing, so we encourage you not to use vulgar language but it is allowed.

wvhills
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
honestly, I don't think separating the community is a good idea. That's just me though.

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
It won't be seperating the community, just providing a safe haven for the older crowd to chat in.

MoarPewPew
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Not a fan of this idea. I think we should all just need to grow up and get along with each other on the STS forums. Just follow this rule....Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Problem Solved.

vulgarstrike
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
I like this.
I dont think one needs a 18+ cutoff strictly speaking, I empathize with mature teens...
Certainly, maturity is a greater factor.

I love this.
so much.

My solutions. Forever.

The issue is the Helicopter Mom role that STS has adopted, an I believe this is a very fair compromise.

Rare
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Gluttony you make a valid point and all I can say is there is no way to Inforce it besides removing people you find are under the age of 18.

Like any place on the web that are for adults only, there is no way to make sure, you rely on the users truthfulness.

And dudetus, we don't want it to be a forum full of people swearing, so we encourage you not to use vulgar language but it is allowed.

That's what the *BLEEP* I'm *BLEEEEEP* talkin about. *BLEEP* yeah.

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Not a fan of this idea. I think we should all just need to grow up and get along with each other on the STS forums. Just follow this rule....Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Problem Solved.

Your sorta missing the point, the point of this is not so we can be nasty to each other, in fact anyone who does will be removed (that's the one rule I'm inforcing).

But people need a place to let loose and i can understand why sts does not want that on their official forums, but that does not eliminate the need.

And vulgar, I may stick in the thing so that if a kid under 18 can have their parents send in a consent form then he/she can sign up.

RedRyder
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
In a world where “97 percent of teenagers play video games” (Sieberg, 2011) you just can’t ignore the younger crowd and expose them to language and other elements that could very well harm the growth of your company and therefore you must take that into account when deciding whether to restrict the language and content that is presented.

According to the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) “Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older” And with “Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of video games being 18 years of age or older” (ESA) SpaceTime Studios can ill-afford to ignore the older audience.

This entire quote should be added to that age thread in the DL forums haha

JaytB
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey Daniel, saw you commenting on that forum also. Wasn't it supposed to be an 18+ forum? Not trying to sound offensive or anything, it was just something that surprised me a bit :)

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey Daniel, saw you commenting on that forum also. Wasn't it supposed to be an 18+ forum? Not trying to sound offensive or anything, it was just something that surprised me a bit :)

Yes, and i have my parents consent, they have no problem with it. :)

Roc
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
So...what exactly would be the difference? :distant: I'm an adult and all but do I want to read a bunch of other adults swearing/saying and posting vulgar things about not getting a drop, a rusher in PvP, etc? On the other hand, I do see it as a way to cut out those who don't carry discussions well, but by separating the communities it's preventing the "less mature" from being taught how to conduct themselves on the forums. I think it's a nice niche community you'll be catering to, but it's not my cup of <insert beverage> :)

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
So...what exactly would be the difference? :distant: I'm an adult and all but do I want to read a bunch of other adults swearing/saying and posting vulgar things about not getting a drop, a rusher in PvP, etc? On the other hand, I do see it as a way to cut out those who don't carry discussions well, but by separating the communities it's preventing the "less mature" from being taught how to conduct themselves on the forums. I think it's a nice niche community you'll be catering to, but it's not my cup of <insert beverage> :)
Haha that's nit really the point, I don't want the vulgar language anymore than you do, but I would like to be able to post my opinions without be shut up. And since I can't do that here, ill do it over there.

MimeRifle
02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Let me see if I've got it right...
Opinions that might be interpreted as negative and/or criticism - Over there.
Y U No Memes - here.

Am I trackin'? ;)

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Haha sorta I s'pose :p

Artemis
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
It's fun there. I can say what's on my mind without worrying (:

MimeRifle
02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
partially because there's nobody there to offend. lol!! Kidding!!
(I used to say something similar to those who would argue what a much more stable operating system OS/2 was to DOS... I'd say "Sure, because you're not running any apps.")
Nevermind... as you were! :smiley_simmons:

StompArtist
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
partially because there's nobody there to offend. lol!! Kidding!!
(I used to say something similar to those who would argue what a much more stable operating system OS/2 was to DOS... I'd say "Sure, because you're not running any apps.")
Nevermind... as you were! :smiley_simmons:

WANG never crashes.

MimeRifle
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM
WANG never crashes.
Everybody have fun tonight... :banana:

Suentous PO
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM
wish you the best of luck with it. In real life im all sorts of vulgar and offensive, and kind of enjoy learning to be diplomatic here lol. its like my secret good side I occationally indulge heheh.

DanielRH
02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
wish you the best of luck with it. In real life im all sorts of vulgar and offensive, and kind of enjoy learning to be diplomatic here lol. its like my secret good side I occationally indulge heheh.

Ty... but lolz I must not have been clear in my thread.... THE POINT IS NOT TO SWEAR!!! OY... LOLZ

Snakespeare
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
A fan site would be good. I think of it as a sign of health for a game to have several fan sites.

I will register for your fan board, and I will continue to post here. Two boards at the same time. :)

Airrie
02-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi Daniel,

Since PL and SL cater to all ages, even if it were 1%, we'd still keep the forums clean for everyone as we do. But I certainly see your points as well which is great that you've made a fan forum. The only thing that we ask is that we follow the guidelines to links. If the content that is linked is inappropriate, the link has to be removed. In other words if unregistered, the boards are private, it's fine. If they're open to guests, that leaves you vulnerable to complaints in which case we'd end up asking the links be removed from STS forums.

Right now I don't see any inappropriate content, but please keep the above in mind. :)

Snakespeare
02-24-2012, 06:34 PM
It's too bad Daniel presented it in a way that brings up swearing. It's just a fan site on a set of boards that values frank discussion.

But the real strength of it is this: Next time people decide to freak out about a new release or a change in the rules, STS will naturally tidy it up. Who wouldn't? It's their board and, under the umbrella of keeping all feedback to one post, they can limit the damage that can come from a hundred threads all whining about the same thing. They have a product to sell, but they want feedback.

So when they do that, the ones who want to complain for two weeks, instead of just an hour or two, can go over there.

And STS can go over there and read them, too. It's a win-win! STS can go over there and watch the flame war between the detractors and the defenders, make use of any worthwhile information, if any, yet still have their own site rolling along smoothly.

STS doesn't want to stifle criticism. They just want to keep it in a free speech zone. Well, that's what Daniel's site can be!

I'm sure STS would want to keep it clean even if there were NO people under 18 here. It simply looks more professional.

Suentous PO
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Was jus jokin! =] I'll check it out too.
Cheers

Zaltiar
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
"Hi there, I am a 12 year old kid, when I saw the two options asking me if I was over or under 18 years of age.
I fell into a dilemma..., no not really, I just clicked yes I'm over 18 :B"

An example, how are we to know there are no younger kids around while on the forums?
The only way I can think of verifying your age would be too have a credit card verification.
Although, I, as most, would probably be uncomfortable with that ;)
Oh well, I'm there!

Snakespeare
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
...if unregistered, the boards are private, it's fine. If they're open to guests, that leaves you vulnerable to complaints in which case we'd end up asking the links be removed from STS forums...

If you are not registered at all, you can not see anything but a login screen. Therefore, it's impossible to violate the TOS with a link. ;)

zappaxe
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah...... i dont understand........You all want to be mature by having a forum where you can curse and say things that would violate the ToS on these forums???? How on earth is that supposed to be mature????

if i am missing something please explain it to me =) thanks!

-zappaxe

Ardon
02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
So what I'd it violates the STS ToS?
Doesn't matter it isn't a sts Site.

Let them do what they want.

zappaxe
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Ok fine with me..... Go ahead and be mature by cursing.......:encouragement: i still dont understand so im outta this thread

MimeRifle
02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
So what I'd it violates the STS ToS?
Doesn't matter it isn't a sts Site.

Let them do what they want.

Posting a link to content that is not acceptable per the STS TOS does specifically violate the TOS. As Snakespeare pointed out, by having the content on the other forum available to registered users only, each person who chooses to register there is basically "opting in" to whatever sort of content is allowed by THAT site's terms of service.

STS would be concerned only if clicking a link on this forum presented content to the user that is unacceptable per their TOS without that user's agreement.

Snakespeare
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah...... i dont understand........You all want to be mature by having a forum where you can curse and say things that would violate the ToS on these forums???? How on earth is that supposed to be mature????

if i am missing something please explain it to me =) thanks!

-zappaxe

Words can often have more than one meaning. That is why the definitions in the dictionary have numbers next to them. To argue (which is what you are doing) by construing two definitions of the same word is a logical fallacy. It is officially called "The Fallacy of Ambiguity".

And no, they do not want to swear. They want to whine in as many threads as they like and not have them locked or deleted.

Next question?

zappaxe
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks snake =)

Snakespeare
02-28-2012, 01:30 PM
LOL! my pleasure ;)

Seriously, the next time the community has a meltdown, people will go over to CareFree and get it out of their system.

It's a win-win for the devs because they can keep the official boards clean and let the firestorm play out on a fan site. The best of both worlds. :)