PDA

View Full Version : The Alterra Olympics

FluffNStuff
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I have decided to start the planning of the Alterra games of the first annual Olympiads. This will allow some fun competition as not everyone likes to PVP, especially now with its issues. I am envisioning having a number of games, each with Gold, Silver and Bronze medals, and then of course an over all Alterra Olympian with the highest medal count. If we could get this big enough and get enough competitors, I would hope the devs would consider an award for the top prize, but there are of course no guarentees. I will start with a simple game that is easy to judge.
Game 1: Quick Farm
This will be a competition with a PVP style bracket run on either Quick Love, Quick Pain, or both. It only requires one judge and no timers unlike the next set. The judge will host the game and two players will join, one to the right of the judge, one to the left. When the signal to go is given, they will run to their respective boss, kill them, and run back. The first one back will be the winner. The judge will then check to ensure the boss is actually killed and declare the match.

Now for the bulk of the competition. These will require two judges a game and will have to be done one competitor at a time. The competitor will have a goal based on the game, and when that goal is complete, they will exit the game. The judges will need to time how long it takes between when the competitor starts and when the competitor exits the game. The judges will then verify if needed that the goal has been completed. Unfortunately there is no timer in the game (hint hint devs) so it will need to be done separately. This is the reason for a minimum of two judges to compare times. These are the games I have come up with so far:
1) Regicide: The competitor will be timed on how long it takes them to kill the King of Hearts in Balefort.
2) Dead Aim: Time it takes to kill Dead Eye in the Fathom Crypt.
3) The Butcher: Time it takes to kill Meathead in his deli.
4) Soloing Nizara : Time it takes to run to and kill the boss on AO2:1
5) Swamp Pulling: Time it takes to pull three bosses to the spawn spot in the Boss Brawl in Ancient Swamps. Do not need to kill them, just pull them. Once a boss hits the spawn spot, it is counted, and you can move to the next boss.
6) Noob Leveling: Time it takes to solo clear AO2:3 of the zombies. The goal is to bring the enemies remaining down to 30, which is the standard jump out time for levelers.
7) Pyramid Running, possibly naked [thanks MysticalDream]: Players run through the Plasma pyramids to make it to the endgame. When a player days, they stay where they are. The winner is either the first person to make it to boss room, or if all players die, then whoever made it closest.

-- Note about elixers. This will generally be a Steroid free Olympics, but suggestions of Elixer specific games would be great as they could be a ton of fun.

So, these are my ideas and the games I have come up with. So the questions to the community are:
1) Would you be interested in joining.
2) What obstacles do you see in making this work.
3) What other games would you like to see included.
4) What suggestions do you have that could improve this.

cry
08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
LOL yes sounds fun.

Cascade
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
I like the idea...though I wouldn't compete probably...It would take forever to do all those events...

Nouda
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
sounds like fun and i would enter but uts just the same thing over and over pretty much with diff bosses

FluffNStuff
08-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I like the idea...though I wouldn't compete probably...It would take forever to do all those events...

It would need to be a more long term competition, at least for the over all winner. If it could be made profitable to compete in one or two of the events would that help? Another thought is to incorporate guilds into the games. A guild could send one competitor to each game, and there could be an over all winning guild.

FluffNStuff
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
sounds like fun and i would enter but uts just the same thing over and over pretty much with diff bosses

The first four are pretty much the same as they are 'farm competition' which is how the idea started because people seem to love farming right now. The Swamp Pull and the Noob run are pretty unique to their levels, so it would be nice to have more like that.

KingFu
08-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I will enter, I may have missed it, but no elixers right?

EDIT: I will join all the events if I can.

Also, maybe when fighting some of the low level bosses, you can't wear any gear, or only armor, or only a shield. I would also enjoy seeing a rush game, you go to the Plasma Pyramids, and the people run to see how far they can get, no one respawns after death, they stay there and see if anyone passes them, whoever gets the farthest wins!

tjornan
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
ugggh cam u imagine the swamp pull? if u leave the area without the bosses, they run back to where they went. that might be a TEAM SPORT (guild teams)

Kurlz
08-04-2010, 08:48 PM
the ideas sound great, save for one thing, dead eyes is hard enough to kill in a group of lvl 20 somethings, not to mention solo...so it would have to have lvl restrictions of some sort, and, seeing as its easier to do certain things as a certain class, i think the classes should be seperated. (mages compete against mages, avians to avians, ursan to ursan) but even as you have it planned out, i love it! got my vote, hopefully ull get the devs votes too!

Violentsaint
08-05-2010, 03:35 AM
lol i think it would be cool to try and run plasma pyramid with no gear on and whoever gets the furthest wins ;)

Raxie
08-05-2010, 03:58 AM
haha, yes i agree with violent. that will be funny. >.<

Bloonigans
08-05-2010, 04:03 AM
One problem is that enchantresses will be at a huge disadvantage. We get owned by bosses, so the swamp pull would be a toughie and the nizara run would be Almost impossible.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I will enter, I may have missed it, but no elixers right?

EDIT: I will join all the events if I can.

Also, maybe when fighting some of the low level bosses, you can't wear any gear, or only armor, or only a shield. I would also enjoy seeing a rush game, you go to the Plasma Pyramids, and the people run to see how far they can get, no one respawns after death, they stay there and see if anyone passes them, whoever gets the farthest wins!

Love this idea, will definitely add it to the list. As for the exlixers, it would be purely steroid free games for the most part, but if the community wanted we could add some elixer specific events for more variety.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
ugggh cam u imagine the swamp pull? if u leave the area without the bosses, they run back to where they went. that might be a TEAM SPORT (guild teams)

Once a boss is pulled to the spawn spot, that boss would count. You would then move on to a different boss. Team sports would be awesome, but you need to have space in there for the judge.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
the ideas sound great, save for one thing, dead eyes is hard enough to kill in a group of lvl 20 somethings, not to mention solo...so it would have to have lvl restrictions of some sort, and, seeing as its easier to do certain things as a certain class, i think the classes should be seperated. (mages compete against mages, avians to avians, ursan to ursan) but even as you have it planned out, i love it! got my vote, hopefully ull get the devs votes too!

This is currently being planned as a high level (45 currently) tournament. By holding the farmings in the lower dungeons this would make it so all classes should be able to kill the boss, some faster then others, but that is why I am hoping for a variety of games. Different classes will excel at different games. Making it an overall team sport where the team can enter one competitor in each of the games might be an idea.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
One problem is that enchantresses will be at a huge disadvantage. We get owned by bosses, so the swamp pull would be a toughie and the nizara run would be Almost impossible.

The Nizara run might be a little to hardcore. I know some people can solo him so I thought it might be fun to add (I am not one of those people) but I am not sure. Having farm runs in the lower dungeons allows all classes to complete the task. Dex characters with high dodge might excel at the running, but if we add in quick killing in the lower dungeons the Mages AOE would give em serious boost (same with the noob leveling game).
As for the swamp pull, the first characters I saw doing the pulls were Mages so they can compete on that stage. You would not need to kill the boss, just pull it to spawn and the boss would count, then you move to another.

Kurlz
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
This is currently being planned as a high level (45 currently) tournament. By holding the farmings in the lower dungeons this would make it so all classes should be able to kill the boss, some faster then others, but that is why I am hoping for a variety of games. Different classes will excel at different games. Making it an overall team sport where the team can enter one competitor in each of the games might be an idea.

i see. that makes more sense.