PDA

View Full Version : Strength should contribute more to damage

Royce
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't think it makes sense that Dexterity provides a greater damage boost than Strength does. I think Strength should provide higher base damage, and Dexterity should provide less. Currently Dex is an overpowered attribute. Just look at pure builds. Pure warriors build Str enough to equip gear then put everything in Dex, mages build Int enough to equip gear then put the rest in Dex, and of course archers go 100% Dex. To maintain balance and high archer DPS, I would suggest that Dex boost weapon speed somewhat. That also makes morr sense IMO. What do people think?

Zeus
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
If we do that, you know that sexy godlike shiv bear banned has? Its dps and damage would be insane. We would get pwned by everybody and just make the classes even more unbalanced. Im talking like 300 dps here so ya...

Banned
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
And the fact that warriors already have a damage booster(rage). Damage isn't much of an issue IMO.

Royce
08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
If Dex provided less damage, and even some weapon speed, a pure dex shiv bear would, if it were done right, not be any more powerful. Yes bears have rage, but paladins and warbirds don't, and I just think it makes no sense that the amount of damage one does while smashing someone with a hammer is dependant on there dexterity rather than strength. Yes, I know it's a game, but it can still make some sense ;)

Royce
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
If Dex provided less damage, and even some weapon speed, a pure dex shiv bear would, if it were done right, not be any more powerful(might even be less ;) ). Yes bears have rage, but paladins and warbirds don't, and I just think it makes no sense that the amount of damage one does while smashing someone with a hammer is dependant on their dexterity rather than strength. Yes, I know it's a game, but it can still make some sense ;)

bmc85uk
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Damage is patched over in the wrong ways, I agree with Royce, stop plastering over problems with gear and skill mods, because they only apply when the gear/skills are in effect. It should apply to the vanilla class unmodified.

With DEX already accounting for hit and crit I'm not sure it needs to add much damage, the damage bonus from DEX should be purely down to the hit/crit modifiers, STR should pump the damage more than DEX.

Then STR dps class = high consistent base damage but lower crit & hit.
DEX dps class = lower base damage with lots of crit, hit & good evade, possibly with a speed modifier.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
If we do that, you know that sexy godlike shiv bear banned has? Its dps and damage would be insane. We would get pwned by everybody and just make the classes even more unbalanced. Im talking like 300 dps here so ya...

The shiv bear is dex based, so this would lower the damage would decrease on the shiv bear which would be very sad.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think it makes sense that Dexterity provides a greater damage boost than Strength does. I think Strength should provide higher base damage, and Dexterity should provide less. Currently Dex is an overpowered attribute. Just look at pure builds. Pure warriors build Str enough to equip gear then put everything in Dex, mages build Int enough to equip gear then put the rest in Dex, and of course archers go 100% Dex. To maintain balance and high archer DPS, I would suggest that Dex boost weapon speed somewhat. That also makes morr sense IMO. What do people think?

Gotta agree with you here. Typically Strength would increase damage on melee weapons, dex would increase crits and speed on ranged weapons and inteligence would increase damage on spells. Only issue with this is it is more complex to program in. Either way, dex increasing damage on a sword or axe more then strength makes no sense.

Banned
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
The shiv bear is dex based, so this would lower the damage would decrease on the shiv bear which would be very sad.

Well, he did suggest that DEX give a speed boost. So that combined with rage could provide an increase in damage.

FluffNStuff
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, he did suggest that DEX give a speed boost. So that combined with rage could provide an increase in damage.

Ahh, gotcha, thanks banned. Since the rage bonus is 25 fixed, a speed bonus to the daggers would be awesome.