PDA

View Full Version : Educational PC games from the 90's

RedRyder
03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Recently, I came across Freddi fish on the app store on my iPad! It brought me so far back. I remember playing these games with my little brother and by myself when I was younger. Another game from those producers is Putput, also in the AppStore, and pajama Sam which is coming anytime now. I only bought Freddi fish since I was the most fond of that game. It's currently on sale for 2.99 USD. I just finished playing through it and I was just overjoyed.

After that massive nostalgia trip, I began searching for other pc games I played when I was younger. They were mostly educational, but made learning super fun. I couldn't even complete some of them (the Internet came in full affect and I completely forgot about them when we got dial up in the apartment back when I lived in the city) so I'm in search of them all now so I can finally finish what I started a decade and a half ago.

After an hour of searching I finally remembered the jumpstart games, particularly jumpstart 4th grade: the haunted island. That game was so incredibly scary that I was never able to play through it. I immediately looked it up on YouTube and remembered why haha. While looking into that game more, I found that they re-released it in the 2000's and drastically toned down the fear factor to make it kid friendly. These companies seem to be following the trend of releasing their games for mobile devices and tablets. While it might be a while before we can see them in the iOS and android markets, they can still be found online through sites like eBay, amazon, etc.

So the main point in this thread is to help me remember as many memorable games from that time era. Some of these games will stretch up to the year 2000 even, but mostly around '92-'99.

List of games:

Treasure mathstorm
Zoombinis
Oregon trail (it's been remade for ios, but a watered down kid friendly version)
Pajama Sam
Freddi fish
Mega Math Blaster
Jumpstart 3rd grade: the mysterious island
Jumpstart 4th grade: the haunted island
Fatty bear's birthday surprise
Putt putt
Spy fox
Magic school bus
The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures: Puzzle of the Pyramid
The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra

Your help is greatly appreciated. I will update the list as I remember the names. Using this thread to discuss anything you remember about the games, how you felt playing them, how you felt when I just jogged your memory :p etc. is really encouraged :)

morfic
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Where... in the world, is... Carmen Sandiego.

Conradin
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I am still desperately waiting for Pokémon to come to the iOS.

RedRyder
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Where... in the world, is... Carmen Sandiego.

Oh hell yes, adding to the list! That game was beyond epic. They don't make games like this anymore.

I am still desperately waiting for Pokémon to come to the iOS.

Let's try to keep the PC game topic going :p Pokemon did come to us in '98, but wasn't educational or on the PC.
Nintendo is greedy so we'll probably never see he day (unless they get into the mobile app business, which I doubt since they desperately try to keep their own AppStore [nintendo shop on wii/ds/3ds] up to par to give ios the upper hand in gaming)

morfic
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Oh hell yes, adding to the list! That game was beyond epic. They don't make games like this anymore.

Oddly... the thing I remember the most about the WITWICS games, are the elevators. I remember thinking how AWESOME it was, that I could step into an elevator...press a button in the elevator...and then go to a different area!

I was like holy crap, this game is so life-like!

Conradin
03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Ahhh what were the pc games where there was a lion and somebody else. I rememeber i had the one where you had to solve alphabet puzzels ti get you ship fixed.

Ahhh reader rabbit, thas it.

Swords
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
there was a game i loved but i forgot the name... it was about some elf or martian aliens helping with math blasting off bad creatures

RedRyder
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Mega math blaster? Funny, I was just looking at that and about to add it to the list lol. Thanks for contributing.

rinzler
03-05-2012, 11:56 PM
I played Rugrats for the PC as a kid lol

RedRyder
03-06-2012, 12:44 AM
I didn't know they had rugrats games during that time o.O
Looking into that now!

Kaytar
03-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I forgot what it was called but it was math game and you played as a frog. I remember being SOOO addicted to it lol because when you got a problem right I think you got some more ammo to throw at monsters. I wish I could remember the name of it! :mad:

RedRyder
03-06-2012, 01:04 AM
I forgot what it was called but it was math game and you played as a frog. I remember being SOOO addicted to it lol because when you got a problem right I think you got some more ammo to throw at monsters. I wish I could remember the name of it! :mad:

Doesn't ring a b ell :/

I JUST remembered/found this game. It was the first computer game I ever encountered but never got to play. I'd watch my cousins play all the time but I was much too young to know what was going on

Treasure mathstorm, 1992

Matutd
03-06-2012, 02:21 AM
I played one called learning land, it was like a series and I had like all of them haha. Not sure if u guys will know it cosnim assuming its a uk only thing

RedRyder
03-06-2012, 02:30 AM
I played one called learning land, it was like a series and I had like all of them haha. Not sure if u guys will know it cosnim assuming its a uk only thing

Yea it's a UK series lol, never heard of it.

kallima
03-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Oregon Trail FTW!!!!

Though I did LOVE Carmen Sandiego too! :)

Petrichor
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
i got this.

- fatty bear's birthday surprise
- putt putt
- spy fox
- magic school bus
- The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures: Puzzle of the Pyramid
- The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra

i'll probably remember more later. :fox:

adidaman
03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Putput is in the mother freaking appstore?????????????

Petrichor
03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Putput is in the mother freaking appstore?????????????

Putput:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/putt-putt-saves-the-zoo/id474065395?mt=8

Freddi Fish:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freddi-fish-stolen-shell/id478409011?mt=8

enjoy ;)

adidaman
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Damn.... I remember playing that when I was six, seven years old, crazy....

RedRyder
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I have put put downloading at home for later haha. I can't wait for pajama Sam

Artentreri
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Night of the living tentacle. 'nuff said.

Swords
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Pacman! It is educational! It helped me learn to move and running away from strangers such as those ghosts

Piosidon
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
- putt putt
I loved that game

Elyseon
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I was a boss at freddi fish, or it seemed like it at the time o_O

RedRyder
03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Pacman! It is educational! It helped me learn to move and running away from strangers such as those ghosts

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/SurfingAlien528/4ec90811.jpg

Seriously though, keep it on topic.

Cahaun
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Jumpstart with a lot of the grades
Cluefinders
Carmine Sandeago (*facepalm* I frogot how to spell her name)
The Adventures of Bouapha: Spookey Castle (I HIGHLY recommend this game. I got a free full copy at the companie's website. Hammu.com is the address.)
Bulldozer (pushing blocks)
Lasers (BEST one ever!)
Sims

Petrichor
03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I used to looooove roller coaster tycoon

Paige Westrum
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Does anyone remember an educational game where there are 3 or 4 blue guys in a band and they teach you about electricity and curcuits....I'm so desperate to figure out what the name of the game is....I'm pretty sure it's from the 90's or maybe the 80's

Vystirch
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Freddi Fish
Putt Putt
Jumpstart
Carmen Sandiego
Operation Neptune
Reader Rabbit
(Got some more, guess ill need to take a dig through my CD cases of games)

Another kinda older game series, more for adults though:
Myst http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst
And then:
Riven http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riven
And then:
Myst III: Exile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst_III:_Exile
And then:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uru:_Ages_Beyond_Myst
And then:
Myst IV: Revelation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst_IV:_Revelation
And then:
Myst V: End of Ages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst_V:_End_of_Ages

How do I feel so old and I'm only 17?.... Maybe it's because my parents raised me on the good stuff?

-Vys

Malik123
05-04-2013, 02:04 PM
My Wife has me scouring the internet for a old game she played... the kids were transformed into monsters in a mansion/castle. She remembers that the pizza slice monster did math problems and that there was a Grammar monster that had a raspy voice and big red lips. One of the monsters was Pablo and he looked like a Picasso painting and there was also a worm with glasses. To get to each of the monsters that tested a different subject you had to find your way through a dungeon maze, to unlock the door to each monster you had to do a word scramble. She thinks each monster gave you a gem once you completed there test. You used the gems to solve a light puzzle and unlock the final room and turn the kids back into kids. At the end you got an IQ score.

I have had no luck looking for this game online... spent about 2hours or so surfing. any insight you could give me would be of great help. Oh one last note she said it was first person.
thank you

Childatheart
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I remember this really fun computer game when i was a kid. it was about these blue or purple creatures that you could randomize how they look or you choose how they look. they start off a boat then they go through this island and do different mini games to get to this new place. some of the mini games where to do with bridges, pizza making for mosters, and tunnels. if you failed at the games you would loss some people. it was pretty much endless fun and endless game play. please help me find it.

Zeus
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Put Put games
Magic School Bus games
Clifford the Big Red Dog games
JumpStart
Where in the world is Carmen SanDiego (Damn, I thought she was hot as a kid).