PDA

View Full Version : Farming & Power Levelling.

bmc85uk
08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Farming.

Unfortunately with the current item level restrictions, I will always rush to hit the level cap before I start to look for equipment, however with the current mechanics, fighting through entire dungeons of regular enemies is too monotonous, and I find myself too unenthused as to try and find the items I need.

Boss brawl dungeons are a step in the right direction, although they then become the only dungeon that people play in an expansion to get loot. Would it be possible to implement a respawn timer for enemies? This would allow a group to run a single dungeon without a restart. Although a restart button is something I would prefer over having to remake the game itself, if the need for this could be eradicated altogether it would be something I’d look forward to.

With dungeons as linear as they are, a Magic Portal similar to the ones implemented in the Townes could be placed at the end of a dungeon to allow the group to progress on to the next level, the buttons that appear could be removed altogether; I’m assuming a player can now leave a dungeon via the world map, and if not then definitely through the menu system. Missing a few enemies in a dungeon would no longer be an issue, and with the right respawn timers, a group could stay in one dungeon, farming for rare loot in a far less tedious way, also adding to the sense of a persistent game world.

With the above changes, the current method of farming; training entire dungeons of enemies all the way to the boss, would become a thing of the past. It would no longer matter that the ‘stun’ effect from enemy attack had been removed, running to the boss would no longer be required. As with a traditional dungeon in an MMO, you would clear the generic enemies en route to the boss(es) and then routinely cycle each boss spawn until you were satisfied and could move on, with minimal grinding through standard enemies in between.

In light of this, early single boss dungeons should drop the less rare loot (as is currently the case with Plasma Pyramid; mostly armour sets and existing weapon types from the previous Alien Oasis campaign), and the later multi boss dungeons could contain the more sought after loot (such as Plasma Swords, Daggers, Talons, Staves, Wands, Blasters and 2 Handers with AO2 currently).

Power Levelling.

Power levelling is a feature that should be available within MMOs, however the way that it currently works causes much discontent within the player base. Power levelling should never be done in areas designed for the mentor, if players wish to power level, it should be done in dungeons designed for a level close to the lower player. In order to prevent power levelling in dungeons that are too high, experience could be throttled when killing enemies more than a certain amount of levels above the player. For example, any enemy more than 5 levels above the player could be restricted to 0.25 experience, or have the experience gain incrementally reduced the further the level gap increased.

Samhayne
08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey Herbzie,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Nice write up and well written!