PDA

View Full Version : Some information on DL from GDC

Vhigdo
03-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Just found this site: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/gdc-2012-a-look-at-dark-legends-with-spacetime-studios/

Some of the information scares me a little. :vshock:

" Spacetime used the energy mechanic from social games and improved upon it to give it a little more depth and purpose in the game." If there is anything like the energy mechanic in games such as Farmville or Castleville to limit your gameplay I'm gonna cry. Though this is supported by the screenshots I have seen of the game where it shows a bar with an energy icon by it.

" In the multiplayer experiences, the group limit is three...". Kind of wierd....

"Typically, combat involves rapidly clicking a button, but in Dark Legends, you can also hold down the button and get a charged strike." Sounds pretty awesome though.

"and Spacetime Studios is partnering with Amazon for a two-week exclusive on the Kindle Fire." Possibly means that it will release on Amazon first like Skeletonlord said BUT only Kindle Fire can use it... which would be unfortunate, but that is what I grasp from that sentence so I could be wrong.

Hopefully this site doesn't know wth they are talking about :(

ninjaduck
03-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Nice find. I didnt get the deal with the Kindle Fire thing though.

Vhigdo
03-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Nice find. I didnt get the deal with the Kindle Fire thing though.

Yea I just really hope it doesn't mean they get to play it for two-weeks before everyone else gets it. If that's true there's a lot more waiting ahead for me (sorry I didn't buy a Kindle Fire).

ninjaduck
03-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Same here :(

Lowlyspy
03-08-2012, 01:51 AM
I REALLY don't like that energy perspective. Horrible idea for any kind of game like DL is supposed to be.

To me it sounds like that 2 week kindle fire exclusive might be DL's beta (not trying to start a rumor, just makes sense). Tho that sucks cuz i don't have a kindle fire T-T

EDIT: If there is a beta i vote that all characters/LB's/etc get wiped from the system (i don't mean delete them, more like regressing them back to level 1 so everyone can keep their names and then make it so all plat purchases during the beta are kept or refunded) to make it absolutely fair for everyone plus they would be able to get new content out sooner after the beta as opposed to when SL launched for apple and there was like a 2 month wait.

ninjaduck
03-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I REALLY don't like that energy perspective. Horrible idea for any kind of game like DL is supposed to be.

To me it sounds like that 2 week kindle fire exclusive might be DL's beta (not trying to start a rumor, just makes sense). Tho that sucks cuz i don't have a kindle fire T-T

All we can do is worry :smiley_simmons:

Vhigdo
03-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Yea energy is dumb, it's sort of like parental controls because it keeps you from playing for an extended period of time. Though you can probably buy energy refills if it's like that. If STS does this I'm sure it's because they want to become a billion dollar company like Zynga, so mine as well copy them. The bad thing is Zynga is the devil.

Oh and have you ever played Spiral Knights? Uses energy... terrible game.

Lowlyspy
03-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Yea energy is dumb, it's sort of like parental controls because it keeps you from playing for an extended period of time. Though you can probably buy energy refills if it's like that. If STS does this I'm sure it's because they want to become a billion dollar company like Zynga, so mine as well copy them. The bad thing is Zynga is the devil.

Oh and have you ever played Spiral Knights? Uses energy... terrible game.
Nope but thanks for the heads up, now i know to avoid it xD

Thipzz
03-08-2012, 02:13 AM
I dont like the energy barin real football 2012 they have thag 2 and it sucks made me quit that game if dl gonna have that I am not even gonna start playing it !

*Zero*
03-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Hmmm yeah the whole energy thing scares me and the 3 man parties. Not sure but I hope its not like zynga or Mafia war based game's. Guess we will wait and see.

Ardon
03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, some of these things really are putting my on edge.

RedRyder
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Hmmm yeah the whole energy thing scares me and the 3 man parties. Not sure but I hope its not like zynga or Mafia war based game's. Guess we will wait and see.

He's comparing STS' desisions with coming up with a different game for each theme but reusing the same mechanics, like zynga does with their games. it's a terrible comparison, as zynga is a one trick pony and all of their games are exactly the same with just different pictures. They even rip off other games (to a T sometimes) and change the images and call it their own.

DL will not be anything like the zynga games. It'll be awesome. Don't worry about it.

Growwle
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM

I am sure the smaller parties are intended to make the game less demanding on hardware, so it will run on the widest range of devices. They have to compensate for the improved graphics / engine somehow.

*Zero*
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
No I'm comparing the Energy use to Mafia wars and zynga games not STS. I know STS is not like those company's at all. All I'm saying is I don't want to play 10 minutes run out of energy then wait 24 hours for energy to fill up.

worldpeace
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
So is the 2 weeks on kindle fire the beta or will they still be doing some sort of beta key? tbh It wouldn't be fair for only kindle fire devices to play for 2 weeks before the game releases, saying that there not to many amazon market users as their are android market users ..
I'm just so confused.. What was that YouTube video about when the dev said dl will be release march 15th o.O

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

Ardon
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
So is the 2 weeks on kindle fire the beta or will they still be doing some sort of beta key? tbh It wouldn't be fair for only kindle fire devices to play for 2 weeks before the game releases, saying that there not to many amazon market users as their are android market users ..
I'm just so confused.. What was that YouTube video about when the dev said dl will be release march 15th o.O

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

All we know is in these forums. Just wait and see, info is coming in by the day

Growwle
03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
No I'm comparing the Energy use to Mafia wars and zynga games not STS. I know STS is not like those company's at all. All I'm saying is I don't want to play 10 minutes run out of energy then wait 24 hours for energy to fill up.

At the end of the day, STS are just like anyone else, we all want to make as much money as we can, then retire (hopefully) and maybe have something other than debts to leave behind for out families.

octavos
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM

LOL....i played Mafia Wars for a year...got all the stuff i was "almost Invincible" (i spent money there too...it was fun. for a while) until my account got erased, Customer support was bad, and poof i never played any of there games. Now im here :p