PDA

View Full Version : The full Article regarding the Amazon Release.

Shellkaz
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Here it is the full article with the info. I really hope that they have misquoted someone because I really am not thrilled that Kindle users will have a 2 week head start. I could accept and deal with a delay because Apple has to approve every new app.

But to deliberately release a much anticipated game for one type of device is in my opinion, a Faux pas.

GDC 2012: A look at Dark Legends with Spacetime Studios

by Karen Bryan on Mar 7th 2012 7:00PM

Betas, Horror, Game mechanics, Interviews, MMO industry, Previews, Free-to-play, Mobile, Hands-on, Casual, Massively Interviews, Massively Event Coverage, Miscellaneous
Dark Legends
Life, death, and a return from the grave: That sums up the life of a vampire, but it also sums up the journey of Spacetime Studios. What do the two have in common? The studio's upcoming title called Dark Legends. At GDC 2012 this week, Massively had a chance to talk with Gary Gattis, CEO of Spacetime Studios, and we got a first-hand look at how the company successfully created a game in which people can play together on laptops, tablets, phones, and virtually any mobile device available.

Gattis began by giving a little background into the studio's past because it's played a very important part in its eventual success. The staff's roots go way back to Ultima Online, and Gattis and a few others helped build and run Star Wars Galaxies. In 2005, they joined forces with NCsoft, and Spacetime was in charge of building tools and tech for various projects. But in 2008, when the Korean-based studio pulled out of North America, they parted ways, and Spacetime was lucky to be able to retain the tool and tech it had developed. The studio had a powerful engine but was looking for something to do with it. Instead of staying in the traditional MMO setting, the devs decided to look forward... and go mobile.

The studio then went on to develop Pocket Legends, and later, Star Legends. This new title, Dark Legends, is the culimination of that effort, and what's particularly exciting is that no matter where in the world you are and what you choose to play on -- laptop, smartphone, tablet, or any other mobile device -- you'll be able to interact together across platforms.

The setting of the game is vampire-themed, but it's hardly of the sparkly, Twilight variety. It's dark and extremely bloody and not for the kids. There is a lot of variety to both the character customization and the outfits that they can wear.

Gameplay is best described as "pick up and play," and it incorporates features from traditional MMOs as well as social games. Spacetime used the energy mechanic from social games and improved upon it to give it a little more depth and purpose in the game. When you first log in, you have a variety of little cutscenes that you access, which help improve your character abilities as well as progress your character's storyline. When you hit one with a timer, you can pass the time by jumping into the content and basically feeding on as many living things as you can find.

Spacetime showed off the campaign map, which notifies you when your friends are online. You can then join up and play, and in the demo, Gattis showed a player on an Tablet and a player on a laptop playing together. Typically, combat involves rapidly clicking a button, but in Dark Legends, you can also hold down the button and get a charged strike. The designers integrated health and mana into one pool, called the blood pool. When you get hurt, your injuries drain the blood pool, but you also get to replenish it with a drain, which is indicated by a red skull on the side of the screen. Typical sessions last only a few minutes, but you can continue along with the campaign to make for a longer session. In the multiplayer experiences, the group limit is three because the difficulty scales and it becomes too chaotic with larger groups, but for social instances, you can have up to 25 players fighting together.

Dark Legends is due to launch in the next month, and Spacetime Studios is partnering with Amazon for a two-week exclusive on the Kindle Fire. In addition, the team has plans to use this to build all sorts of mobile multiplayer games, from wild west to mafia to World War II, so grab those chargers and get your mobile devices ready!

link to the page: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/gdc-2012-a-look-at-dark-legends-with-spacetime-studios/

*Zero*
03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Nice Read. Seems Amazon is getting the rights to DL like Vcast had on SL.

Growwle
03-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Nice Read. Seems Amazon is getting the rights to DL like Vcast had on SL.

True, I guess it is a way to stress test the game with a much smaller base of players, like the Vcast release. This is most likely the "unofficial" beta.

Arterra
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
wondering if STS will do another round of random beta-key giveaways to websites for non kindle users... the competition for them last time was FIERCE...

worldpeace
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
In the multiplayer experiences, the group limit is three because the difficulty scales and it becomes too chaotic with larger groups, but for social instances, you can have up to 25 players fighting together.

that's pretty awesome :D

Dark Legends is due to launch in the next month, and Spacetime Studios is partnering with Amazon for a two-week exclusive on the Kindle Fire. In addition, the team has plans to use this to build all sorts of mobile multiplayer games, from wild west to mafia to World War II, so grab those chargers and get your mobile devices ready!

and awe :( what happened to march 15??

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

Samhayne
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime in regarding the 2 week Amazon exclusive for Dark Legends on the Kindle Fire that is mentioned in the Massively.com article. We know that you want to get Dark Legends as soon as they can. While I don’t have further details to release about exclusive periods, know that we always want to do right by our fans. We will give as many ways for you to get your hands on the game as we can.

Also, just to reiterate for those with iOS devices, Apple doesn't allow beta periods, exclusive access or any of that. So, our hands are tied on that front - if you're waiting for Dark Legends on iOS, it will be after any exclusive periods are over.

As others have surmised above, this is similar how Star Legends was available first via Verizon vcast.

worldpeace
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime in regarding the 2 week Amazon exclusive for Dark Legends on the Kindle Fire that is mentioned in the Massively.com article. We know that you want to get Dark Legends as soon as they can. While I don’t have further details to release about exclusive periods, know that we always want to do right by our fans. We will give as many ways for you to get your hands on the game as we can.

Also, just to reiterate for those with iOS devices, Apple doesn't allow beta periods, exclusive access or any of that. So, our hands are tied on that front - if you're waiting for Dark Legends on iOS, it will be after any exclusive periods are over.

As others have surmised above, this is similar how Star Legends was available first via Verizon vcast.

So correct me if I wrong, there will be beta keys givin' out just as you did with SL. But obviously like you said, vcast will be getting a taste of DL before android users?

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

Walkhardd
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Sweet. Impulsively buying a kIndle fire while killing time at bestbuy is going to pay off.lol

octavos
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I hope not just the kindle fire...other android powered devices. This is why they were at the World Congress Expo.

IMO
I thought Tablets and the Kindle were a waist of money...just an oversized phone...with no calling abilities lol.
But, dont get me wrong, they are nice, but the functions dont appeal to me. (Kindle E-Reader thats a different story :p)

Ardon
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I hope not just the kindle fire...other android powered devices. This is why they were at the World Congress Expo.

IMO
I thought tablets were a waist of money, But meh, who ever gots it, flaunts it right?

Yeah lol

It would make more sense if it was available on the amazon appstore

octavos
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah lol

It would make more sense if it was available on the amazon appstore

NOW that I can do, i have received more then 153+ app from free app of the day (since i installed it)...so amazon defiantly the way to go.

mrnofunz
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Do happy I bought my wife a kindle fire for her b-day :D

Vhigdo
03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
It's kind of silly how so many of us are following STS/the Dark Legends release on twitter, facebook, and these forums waiting for release information. But we have to get this information on a random site in order to hear about it. Couldn't STS have told us that there would be a two week exclusive themselves? I mean they said that there would be a March 15th release date they just kind of egg all of us on to sit around and wait for it, when in reality we have to wait two more weeks after that. I'm just assuming that Kindle Fire's make up a small portion of the community at the moment, I mean what spoiled teen has a kindle fire :/

Walkhardd
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
It's kind of silly how so many of us are following STS/the Dark Legends release on twitter, facebook, and these forums waiting for release information. But we have to get this information on a random site in order to hear about it. Couldn't STS have told us that there would be a two week exclusive themselves? I mean they said that there would be a March 15th release date they just kind of egg all of us on to sit around and wait for it, when in reality we have to wait two more weeks after that. I'm just assuming that Kindle Fire's make up a small portion of the community at the moment, I mean what spoiled teen has a kindle fire :/

I have one. Does that make me a spoiled teen? : o

Ardon
03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
A lot of kindle fires have been sold. This could be a whole new device market for them.

But how many play STS games? How many play MMO?

Im thinking it would be better to do it for the amazon market. Not just the KF.

Vhigdo
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Yea I meant of the people that so far play STS games I don't think many have Kindle Fire's. Of course I know many have sold it's a popular device. The 2 week exclusive won't offer a lot of current STS players who probably don't have a Kindle Fire to play, but it will open up the chance for new players to begin playing I guess.

And most that play STS games are teens, and if your a teen with a tablet of any kind I would believe you are spoiled. Unless you splurged your minimum wage paycheck.

StompArtist
03-08-2012, 01:47 PM
So the kindle users get to play 2 weeks earlier... and that is a big deal? Good for them I can wait 2 weeks. lol

worldpeace
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Ty octavos for giving me the idea on downloading the amazon app market
If anyone need the amazon app markets just go to this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android/ref=mas_new_acct_complete
(android users only)
~ wp(worldpeace) ~

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Humm. :/
Sts..... Why you no make it exclusive for android in generall again.

I know we are all going to eveeeeentually play together,
Lol but i was looking forward to another head start on the game.
I am driving myself nuts waiting!x)

Must.. Haz.. New content..<3
I dont usually like to beg, but PLEASE OH PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP?
lolol :-)
The only device I have ever played sts games on is the samsung galaxy tabs for android.
Give us android users some love again!

All good I guess though,
Apple had a six month head start on pl,
android had a couple month head start on sl,
I guess two weeks isnt a lot to ask, ef you kindle! Jkjk :3
Seeing as how kindle users are limited to a smaller market. Lucky ducks!
I am TOTALLY going to try and steal my brothers kindle on March 15th(which is his birthday! Thanks sts x])

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Ty octavos for giving me the idea on downloading the amazon app market
If anyone need the amazon app markets just go to this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android/ref=mas_new_acct_complete
(android users only)
~ wp(worldpeace) ~

What is this witchcraft?
Will it let me play!?
0.o

worldpeace
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
What is this witchcraft?
Will it let me play!?
0.o

I'm assuming o.O the article did say it was partnering with amazon.. I mean if it doesn't, its better to be safe than sorry

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm assuming o.O the article did say it was partnering with amazon.. I mean if it doesn't, its better to be safe than sorry

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

Thanks friend!
Just downloaded their market.
:-)

Ardon
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Well the amazon appstore has the free app of the day. Some real quality apps come up every now and then. Thats the only reason I hav the amazon app store on my DX

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Well the amazon appstore has the free app of the day. Some real quality apps come up every now and then. Thats the only reason I hav the amazon app store on my DX

Oh nicee, tyvm for the info.
:-)

Snakespeare
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM

When is the last time you typed "iOS beta testing" into Google? things have changed. Here's the third link down:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/01/7-tools-for-ota-ios-beta-testing.php

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM
When is the last time you typed "iOS beta testing" into Google? things have changed. Here's the third link down:

Oh boy, Apple users are starting to learn tingz.

Samhayne
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM

All of those methods still rely on Apple's provisioning, which as a limit of 100 (unless you can prove your company is over 250 members, which we're not). It just makes it easier to get the provisioned app out to an employee. We've used all of our 100 provisions internally (we have a lot of devices). So, sorry, it doesn't allow us to conduct a beta with thousands of participants :(

Snakespeare
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh boy, Apple users are starting to learn tingz.

I have been using Apple products since 1984. I've also been on the net since 1996. So I could probably teach you Droidees a few things.

Sam, oh well... thanks for the info... we'll keep our chins up anyway. :)

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I have been using Apple products since 1984. I've also been on the net since 1996. So I could probably teach you Droidees a few things.

Sam, oh well... thanks for the info... we'll keep our chins up anyway. :)

Lolol it was a joke x)
I am the last person who has any place to say anything.
Its just fun being team droid and team apple from time to time. :-)

I hope it does get released quicker for apple than last time,
I got many apple users I plan on kicking butt with.

Snakespeare
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Lolol it was a joke x)
I am the last person who has any place to say anything.
Its just fun being team droid and team apple from time to time. :-)

I hope it does get released quicker for apple than last time,
I got many apple users I plan on kicking butt with.

You DARE to joke with me?!?!?! j/k

I love the fact that STS games can be played on so many devices and laptops. Hopefully the wait won't be so long this time.

Wolves
03-08-2012, 04:55 PM
How do you "fighting together" in "social instances"?
"you look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"NO, YOU look beast!"...

ArtStar
03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
How do you "fighting together" in "social instances"?
"you look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"no, YOU look beast!"
"NO, YOU look beast!"...

With the art of derp.

WoundedEagle
03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
So Sam, that's a no to Chrome Beta as well? I don't quite understand this, as I didn't quite get it during SL.

Samhayne
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
So Sam, that's a no to Chrome Beta as well? I don't quite understand this, as I didn't quite get it during SL.

Maybe, but no specifics to announce right now. Thanks for your patience!

Shellkaz
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
What I don't understand is why sts would release for one device only. Unless they are getting compensated by amazon for giving them exclusive rights for two weeks. Now while this probably makes sense from a business stand point, from a public relations standpoints I think that it is still a faux pas.

I also think that sts should be doing a little more to squelch the release date rumors. I mean, look at the ones that are out right now. The release dates that I can recall without even chasing down threads n links, are the 15th, before the end or march and 2 months from now.

On to devices, first no older devices then we get the video from Justg that says all devices. Next beta: beta android only, then people that like DL on fb will be the first chance to play. Now it looks like you have to like them on Facebook AND have a kindle fire.

I am almost to the point where I don't care, when or even if it gets released. It's the old "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me". And I'm not willingly walking into the second half of that saying.

Vhigdo
03-09-2012, 12:05 AM
The issue of when the game will release pales in comparison to the possibility of energy limits. If the energy limits are anything like games such as Spiral Knights, or most simulation games I won't even play the game when it does come out. No way I'm gonna be hindered by a damn bar of energy to only play a certain amount of time a day. If I wanted that I'd go back in time to when I was 12 and had my parents set 30 minute time limits to electronics.

ArtStar
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM
What I don't understand is why sts would release for one device only. Unless they are getting compensated by amazon for giving them exclusive rights for two weeks. Now while this probably makes sense from a business stand point, from a public relations standpoints I think that it is still a faux pas.

I also think that sts should be doing a little more to squelch the release date rumors. I mean, look at the ones that are out right now. The release dates that I can recall without even chasing down threads n links, are the 15th, before the end or march and 2 months from now.

On to devices, first no older devices then we get the video from Justg that says all devices. Next beta: beta android only, then people that like DL on fb will be the first chance to play. Now it looks like you have to like them on Facebook AND have a kindle fire.

I am almost to the point where I don't care, when or even if it gets released. It's the old "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me". And I'm not willingly walking into the second half of that saying.

Look lol, Ive been waiting a long time for new content along with everyone else!!
If you would really read through everything you would see clearly. Kindle, then droid, then chrome. Plain and simple. We may not like ittttttt but yeh. Droid users had to wait 6months for pl, apple users had to wait a couple for sl, and now it looks like everyone who doesnt have a kindle has to wait.
Belieeeeve me lol.. I am dying for new content but there isnt much you can do by repeating things that have already been discussed.
Best you can do is just keep looking for more news on dl on here, which seems to keep coming up.

Swampy
03-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Outside the forums, all I see is negative comments about DL. :(. People are too quick to judge. I'll probably try it, but then go back to PL. ;)

Elyseon
03-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Outside the forums, all I see is negative comments about DL. :(. People are too quick to judge. I'll probably try it, but then go back to PL. ;)

You do realize the forum ppl are the ones with direct info? Everyone else is judging based on hearsay

Darkchylde
03-09-2012, 06:02 AM
yes apple does allow to test betas i am a beta tester for a game on apple ios it begins with a C and ends with a H we are using a app / program called Test Flight check into it space time test flight is the new way to get around the apple ios hoopla an beta test your products i get betas from test flight it installs then i beta test that certain game but i believe you can only have bout 200 testers in all

dont much care for the other 2 games you got well i liked the first an played it when it came out for almost a year i believe after the one year anniv i said good bye to it ,

the second one i played 10 mins an deleted if i want space and galaxy i got my star wars the old republic

,but this game has me interested is this the one that was mentioned way back as a adult game i hope so leave the other 2 ,to the kiddies ,,,,,Dark Legends looks king cool

Wolves
03-09-2012, 06:15 AM
With the art of derp.

Ah, I see. The ancient manual of strategic social battle. Mandatory reading.

Conradin
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
You do realize the forum ppl are the ones with direct info? Everyone else is judging based on hearsay

True we are very well informed but we make up a small population of the players playing Legends games.

Samhayne
03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
yes apple does allow to test betas i am a beta tester for a game on apple ios it begins with a C and ends with a H we are using a app / program called Test Flight check into it space time test flight is the new way to get around the apple ios hoopla an beta test your products i get betas from test flight it installs then i beta test that certain game but i believe you can only have bout 200 testers in all

Hey Darkchylde,

Yup, we know about Test Flight. It still doesn't allow us to get around the limits that Apple puts on provisioning (how they authorize a device to use an app). As you mention above, the limits on provisioning are 100's, not the 1,000's and 1,000's we would need to support an extended beta. Thanks for the input though :)

ArtStar
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

dont much care for the other 2 games you got well i liked the first an played it when it came out for almost a year i believe after the one year anniv i said good bye to it ,

the second one i played 10 mins an deleted if i want space and galaxy i got my star wars the old republic

,but this game has me interested is this the one that was mentioned way back as a adult game i hope so leave the other 2 ,to the kiddies ,,,,,Dark Legends looks king cool

Yeah I am kinda sad to say but I am secretly looking forward to leaving sl behind at this point.
All my best beta friends quit and I am left to socialize with d00shy teens who like to judge me and my crew.
I feel like such a loser in sl anymore lollll, no one good tot talk to. I find most conversations to be so elementary everywhere I go.
Cant wait to connect with certain friends again, who will be playing DL :-)
We will see what happens.

Darkchylde
03-20-2012, 04:07 AM
hey sam well you could do a drawing kinda like willy wonka an the golden ticket an let those that won beta test he he thats my 2 cents as we all say in Texas ,,

also yall got me an my wife very interested in this game im keepin an eye on this one really hope it comes out good bring my interest back also im really really intersted in that western yall been talking bout jus rem to put some texas rangers n ther an i aint talkin bout the baseball team :)

cant wait to see this dusty dirty gritty western that is rumored to be next oh the history of the old west we have in texas an all the other frontier an pioneer states camt wait to be a gunslinger or a outlaw

Elyseon
03-20-2012, 08:50 AM

True we are very well informed but we make up a small population of the players playing Legends games.
Yes but why would you believe info that contradicts from what the forums say?

*Zero*
03-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah I am kinda sad to say but I am secretly looking forward to leaving sl behind at this point.
All my best beta friends quit and I am left to socialize with d00shy teens who like to judge me and my crew.
I feel like such a loser in sl anymore lollll, no one good tot talk to. I find most conversations to be so elementary everywhere I go.
Cant wait to connect with certain friends again, who will be playing DL :-)
We will see what happens.
Yeah i know the feeling art.

n00b13st
03-24-2012, 01:42 AM
I have one. Does that make me a spoiled teen? : o

Yes Walkhardd, yes it does - just like me (and I'm in my 40's.) :vwink: Actually, calling me a teen may be giving my maturity too much credit. I usually estimate about 5. My wife says 3.

StompArtist
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes Walkhardd, yes it does - just like me (and I'm in my 40's.) :vwink: Actually, calling me a teen may be giving my maturity too much credit. I usually estimate about 5. My wife says 3.

You are 3 too? Maybe we can arrange a playdate while our wives discuss grown up stuff!

Jaydem
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Can't wait either way, Sam. Time to keep leveling my noob in SL while I wait.