PDA

View Full Version : Best Idea Yet?

Beanmachine
03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Recently PL became playable on Chrome but the controls are very flimsy and hard to use correctly with a combo however the graphics and ping is sufficiently better than the hand -held devices used to play PL. So what I think is that, STS should make an app to allow hand-held devices such as an iPhone or iPod Touch to be used as a gaming controller with Chrome being the high-definition monitor.

Pro's-It feels like your Mac/PC/Linux is a gaming console and many other games on those systems already are compatible with special USB controllers. Since PL has many skills, it would not work unless STS made their own touch-screen game controller app. Instead of guessing which skill is which on the number keys, you will already know from muscle memory when you use your hand-held device.

Con's-STS might charge for it either in plat or money.

BTW nobody payed attention to my post in Baks contest or in the blog section>: (

Conradin
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
That's amazing Bean, just Amazing!

Nick41324
03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I'd pay 1$ for the add on ;)

Pretty good idea

JaytB
03-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Great idea! And while they're at it, make it playable with a game controller :D

Beanmachine
03-10-2012, 10:50 PM

That would be great! However how can the simple A,B,X,Y on an x-box (or similar) be used to control 12 different spells:hopelessness:

JaytB
03-10-2012, 10:56 PM
That would be great! However how can the simple A,B,X,Y on an x-box (or similar) be used to control 12 different spells:hopelessness:

They managed to make it playable on an Xperia play, so I'm sure they could figure something playable out for a decent controller too :)

Same can be said about the touchscreen control though, seems a bit hard having to look at your phone for the controls, while watching the action on a big screen. No tactile feedback can make controlling the game very hard IMO.

dugantale
03-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Great idea like remote mouse fir ur computers

Growwle
03-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Recently PL became playable on Chrome but the controls are very flimsy and hard to use correctly with a combo however the graphics and ping is sufficiently better than the hand -held devices used to play PL. So what I think is that, STS should make an app to allow hand-held devices such as an iPhone or iPod Touch to be used as a gaming controller with Chrome being the high-definition monitor.

Pro's-It feels like your Mac/PC/Linux is a gaming console and many other games on those systems already are compatible with special USB controllers. Since PL has many skills, it would not work unless STS made their own touch-screen game controller app. Instead of guessing which skill is which on the number keys, you will already know from muscle memory when you use your hand-held device.

Con's-STS might charge for it either in plat or money.

BTW nobody payed attention to my post in Baks contest or in the blog section>: (

If your phone has an HDMI connector, you can connect it to your HD TV and have nearly the same effect.

NECROREAPER
03-11-2012, 01:04 AM
If your phone has an HDMI connector, you can connect it to your HD TV and have nearly the same effect.

Or if you use AirPlay Mirroring using an iOS device and an apple TV over a WiFi network connection.

Lowlyspy
03-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Said it ingame and i'll say it again, sweet idea. Nice one Beany.

Skeletonlord
03-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Sounds great! I think it would make it so much easier! Once again, awesome idea bean!

Gluttony
03-11-2012, 06:34 AM
The idea is sound, but there will definitely be lag between the input device and the PC, so you will have lag on top of in-game lag. It could be fun, but I know that I rely on feel when playing console games with a controller... I know where the X button is by memory but the actual feel is also useful. Having a flat controller without any sort of landmarks would be very difficult. Think about walking up to a keyboard and not knowing where the 'home keys' are without the braille-like placeholders.

This idea works so much better because everything is on screen for you to look at. All of the spells, and skills are up in front of you and the keypad corresponds to their placement exactly. There is no on-screen aid in the Chrome version that is laid out before you so you don't know where to tap in order to get what you want out of your toon. I remember when I took a typing (word processing) course and there was a virtual keyboard on screen for the first few lessons; it allowed you to keep an eye on the monitor while knowing where the keys were at all times... it's just like that.

If you can use a mouse as an input device then you can use a PC game controller. Some key mapping may be required but it can be done. There are gaming mouse(s) that have even more buttons than the standard controllers and they have mapping software to accompany them.

Beanmachine
03-11-2012, 06:50 AM
The idea is sound, but there will definitely be lag between the input device and the PC, so you will have lag on top of in-game lag. It could be fun, but I know that I rely on feel when playing console games with a controller... I know where the X button is by memory but the actual feel is also useful. Having a flat controller without any sort of landmarks would be very difficult. Think about walking up to a keyboard and not knowing where the 'home keys' are without the braille-like placeholders.

Well I think that if the controller could be connected via bluetooth or USB, it would not lag too bad that it would be unplayable, plus they could just make an app with the layout of PL controls without the actual gameplay. I recall seeing these special plastic lumps somebody put on their iPhone to mark where each skill was, so maybe that would give the player a feeling. I would prefer anytime mashing on a touch screen than with my fingers awkwardly lined up on the number keys where the skills are assigned.

Coltona
03-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Sounds nice, but here's something a little simpler...ipad. Better graphics, better connection, and still easy to use.

XghostzX
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
YES. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.... * excitement* :D

Elyseon
03-11-2012, 07:57 PM
This should go in the suggestion and feedbacks forum, or maybe chrome forum

Twinklaser
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
So if your watching the big screen how do you know what buttons to tap on the Ipod/Iphone?

Beanmachine
03-11-2012, 08:17 PM
So if your watching the big screen how do you know what buttons to tap on the Ipod/Iphone?

2 ways: Either by muscle memory or I've seen these plastic button you can stick onto your device, I believe Htiek showed them. Anyway the plastic lumps could give you a feeling where your skills are.

Coltona
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Cool, but standing my my touch screen laptop, or an ipad.