PDA

View Full Version : Quests, as a concept

Snakespeare
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I think that this is going to be the solution to the power-levelling issue. The reason why people power-level is because they want to get to the top as fast as possible. That's because being at the top means you win. It's a game, and it's only natural to win. (After getting to the top, you farm for cool stuff and post pics of yourself on the messageboard. After that, you farm and sell until you are an in-game millionaire, etc.)

But now, when someone power-levelled with a mentor and got to 45th level in 3 days, when he looks at the World Map, what does he see: 0/19 quests complete in Forest Haven, etc. That will always be on his maps until he decides to do them all.

Once all the campaigns have quests, winning can be defined as completing all the quests. All they have to do then is prevent people from using their level 45s in level I quests. Too high a level for this quest, would be the error message.

This will make it so that people will start to think of levelling an alt through the quests.

And one other change, put the quests completed percentage on the character's display page with their items. Then they will be inspired to have that number be 100%!!!

As the guy in my sig said (he was a Beatle), it's all about "what you value". Getting people to value the lower levels is the trick. And after sleeping on it, I think that trick can be accomplished by quests.

So, I can't wait until there are quests for the Swamps!

Cascade
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Ok one thing that would make people do quests more would be.....Make some of the rewards XP instead of gold or items! I would really love to see this added in some of the new quests :D

Snakespeare
08-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok one thing that would make people do quests more would be.....Make some of the rewards XP instead of gold or items! I would really love to see this added in some of the new quests :D

Wow. That's a cool idea, too! :)

bmc85uk
08-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Once all the campaigns have quests, winning can be defined as completing all the quests. All they have to do then is prevent people from using their level 45s in level I quests. Too high a level for this quest, would be the error message.

I completely disagree here, quests should always be available for the sake of completion, especially if they're always gonna show up on the world map. Granted this would force some people to complete all of the quests, but it's not a solution to the leeching problems.

I've posted suggestions to prevent leeching HERE (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?5205-Farming-amp-Power-Levelling.). As for giving people a reason to do the early campaigns I think you're completely right. Quest content has added a little, some steady cash inflow and a few items, I think what they really need to do is put a proper incentive in, fix the drop-rates for example, add a few repeatable quests that newbies can do for some steady cash, and you've got a campaign with things to do, that people aren't in such a hurry to leave. With pinks actually dropping, high level characters would have a reason to go back, stocking up pinks for new alts (I know I certainly would).

Then eventually, hopefully we'll get some nightmare dungeons with some epic quests in, and some really amazing items to loot/quest for.

Snakespeare
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I have created noob characters and taken them through the noob quests, too. These are good. You can improve your sword from the broken sword to a rapier. You can get better armor before you ever go into Forest Haven. I made noobs just for yucks before the upgrade and I used to have to pass them the cheap but better items through the stash. But now they can just take the easy noob quests to get a leg up.

And the stories... Yes! I really like the amount of backstory they've added. I think the coolest thing about the noob quests is the story element. Plus, it is currently the only time you get to see the avian towne, just a peek. I think that the blog entry about the evolution of an MMO implies that there will be a complete avian towne at some point. And it will have a portal to the alien oasis.

But man, can you see it, when there are quests in the Swamps? Then it won't be so hard to find teams to play with, or players quitting because Le Chomp has a short tether. There will probably be a quest to defeat Le Chomp.

Only thing that irritates me about the quests is the respawning adversaries. I understand why, but it makes it really hard to kill bosses. Usually I clear the corridor then pull the boss away from his adds to fight him solo in the empty corridors. Now the corridors are repopulated, so I need to figure out a different strategy.