PDA

View Full Version : Don't just blame the bears

Superdexme
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately regarding "scatter bears" and "proper tanking" and is making it sound like bears need more education on tanking so birds and mages don't die and can deal damage....at the same time I have been practicing my tanking (getting good at beckoning and stomping into walls ;) ) but it seems mages and birds need to do some learning as well. I can't taunt and group enemies together when a Mage/bird insists on leading or attacking the guys I'm trying to taunt causing the baddies to attack the bird/Mage....then they get mad on why I'm not tanking properly lol :/ so I think they're should be a guide on birds/mages regarding how they are supposed to work with the company of a tank for perfect runs and zero deaths (hopefully) I end up having to be a scatter bear to get the enemies of the mages/birds quickly because they think pure int/dex makes them invinvible. Anyone else having similar experiences??

Growwle
03-17-2012, 02:03 PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately regarding "scatter bears" and "proper tanking" and is making it sound like bears need more education on tanking so birds and mages don't die and can deal damage....at the same time I have been practicing my tanking (getting good at beckoning and stomping into walls ;) ) but it seems mages and birds need to do some learning as well. I can't taunt and group enemies together when a Mage/bird insists on leading or attacking the guys I'm trying to taunt causing the baddies to attack the bird/Mage....then they get mad on why I'm not tanking properly lol :/ so I think they're should be a guide on birds/mages regarding how they are supposed to work with the company of a tank for perfect runs and zero deaths (hopefully) I end up having to be a scatter bear to get the enemies of the mages/birds quickly because they think pure int/dex makes them invinvible. Anyone else having similar experiences??

I second this and firmly believe that scatter bears are fine if dps stays on the bear's main target. Yes, if you don't use stomp you may be able to hold aggro on multiple targets, which would allow mages to go AOE crazy. OK, maybe I changed my mind, going to re-spec and get rid of stomp ;-)

StompArtist
03-17-2012, 02:05 PM
I second this and firmly believe that scatter bears are fine if dps stays on the bear's main target. Yes, if you don't use stomp you may be able to hold aggro on multiple targets, which would allow mages to go AOE crazy. OK, maybe I changed my mind, going to re-spec and get rid of stomp ;-)

What did I ever do to you?

Swords
03-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Growwle is getting rid of u! Oh no! Call the police! Call the Military! Call the Devs!

NECROREAPER
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Scatter bears are never okay.

Same thing goes for mages and birds; everyone, and I mean EVERYONE should know how to effectively play their class and how to effectively play their class in a dynamic group setting.

StompArtist
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Scatter bears are never okay.

Same thing goes for mages and birds; everyone, and I mean EVERYONE should know how to effectively play their class and how to effectively play their class in a dynamic group setting.

Well... someplayers are having fun even if they do not play very well and... in a game isn't having fun what its all about?

Shellkaz
03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree everyone should be able to have fun. It's just a game. I dont boot players because they don't play well. I just exercise my option to not join their game again. On the other hand the most fun i every had in a game was with an overly enthusiastic Mage on his first run at the overlord. He begged for the chance to solo him. I warned him that the OL was tough and his response, "so what I'll die qucki". I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. Once I could see again, I rein into the room and reved him, so the bear and I could get the OL. That being said, he eventually turned into a dang good Mage.

So folks try to have a bit more fun in the game. I was a bit upset with Dama when he insisted on soloing the OL cause I knew he didn't have a chance. But his enthusiasm and that comment about not caring if he died reminded me that yeah it's a game and if he was happy then what difference did it make if he died or not. The bear and I were going to duet the OL anyhow.

If you have to have a perfect run every time your doomed to disappointment. I learned a lot from that kid. And I'm old enough to be his mom. ;-).

On the other hand, folks you have a responsibility to learn at least the basics of how to run your class. I get tried of running with other mages who don't use heal unless they are healing themselves. (I'm only going to bust on my own class). Or who forget to buff and de buff. I admit I'm not the best Mage, I never will be but I try very hard to play my mage the right way. The way that benefits the whole party. So yeah I get frustrated when I see another Mage in the group that's charging ahead of the bear. I Usually hang back to see how the bear is going to run, does he pull, is he trying to pull but not succeeding well? Then adjust my play accordingly. But I always give the bear a chance to lead.. Because that's HIS job, mine is to support him, and the archer who's out there to deal damage.

Yeah sure I miss my timing on occasion, and I get upset at myself for it but I just resolve to do better the next time.

Sryyoulose
03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
And mages NEED to learn how to freaking heal. Bears can only tank so much. If mages don't heal and tell them to tank it's like wow I do my job try to do yours.

Shellkaz
03-17-2012, 04:43 PM
^5 to that. I hit heal as soon as it comes up and especially after every encounter. It's so ingrained that I even hit it when I solo in plasma pyramid and I don't need it. It s just automatic now, my thumb just hits heal and I don't even think about it.

RaptorBlitz
03-17-2012, 06:37 PM
I wish I could be a bear and a Mage at the same time, as they are the two classes with probably the two most important roles. A group cannot function without a bear and a Mage. The archer is important too, sure, his DPS makes killing bosses easy but a Mage + bear combo can do mostly the same thing, just takes a long time. If I choose to play bear and save myself the annoyance of scatter bears, I run into mages who don't heal at freaking all, so I burn a ton of pots after each game. If I choose to play as Mage and actually support the party, then I can't do anything about scatter bears. It's a never ending cycle :/

Growwle
03-17-2012, 06:56 PM

LOL

RedRyder
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
*reads your thread. Blames bears anyway*

Appleisaac
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
How is a Mage/Bird/Bear know how to play thier roll if it isn't mentioned in the tutorial anyway? :-/ there's no way to find out how your class is "supposed to be played" unless you go on forums or have a friend who knows what he/she is doing...

RedRyder
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
How is a Mage/Bird/Bear know how to play thier roll if it isn't mentioned in the tutorial anyway? :-/ there's no way to find out how your class is "supposed to be played" unless you go on forums or have a friend who knows what he/she is doing...

Trial and error. Common sense even. When I started there were no tutorials, but it was apparent that my class was meant to heal, stay alive to heal and rev the dead, so that I did. New guys just want to catch up as quickly as possible so they won't look like noobs, essentially skipping the experience of learning what the hell you're supposed to do and becoming bigger noobs.

If anything, we're the ones to blame for setting standards on what a good player is.

Esoul
03-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I use this skill: O Tornado Smashing Button!! Bam bam bamm!! Level complete !!! Do not call me a noob or a pro~
PeAce! Play for Fun :D

Fyrce
03-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Class Roles
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17534-Your-Job-(or-How-Not-To-Look-Like-A-N00b)

Fun Discussion
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?3435-Why-You-Might-Not-Get-Healed

There are actually many other threads with helpful discussion about class roles all over the forums...

dudetus
03-18-2012, 03:07 AM

You had a point over here but. The reason why Scatter Bears are being hated so much is that they make the runs incredibly slow and annoying. Running into the middle of room, Beckon + Stomp (the skill not the person :p) = All enemies scattered allover the room. Aggro divides and AOE skills aren't as effective and taking down the enemies takes WHOLE LOTTA MORE time. Obviously there are players who can't use their class properly as a bird and mage as well but a bad bird or mage is not as horrible as a Scatterbear. Scatterbears ruin the game when bad bird or mage are just rather annoying.