PDA

View Full Version : GUIDE : CTF : How to play Capture the Flag ?

Chickenrunnn
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
CTF : Capture the Flag

Preface
I decided to make this guide because I reached my 30.000 CTF kills .. (And now I'm close to 40k !! :D)
Moreover, see all the questions which were asked about the way to play this awesome game mode, I couldn’t have resisted to make a guide for explaining it :banana:

The guide contains the following information:

What is CTF?
How can I become good to it?
What are the maps I can practice it in?
What’s a CTF game progress?
And some more :p

1st question: What is CTF?

First of all, CTF means “Capture the Flag”.
Why is it called like that? That’s quite easy to guess :).. Let me explain you the rules of this game :D!

You have two teams, a Red one and a Blue one. Those two teams have two goals : to defend their Flag, and Capture the other’s team Flag..
Hehe! This is why it is called Capture the Flag.. You’re following? :D

2nd question: What’s a CTF game progress?

They firstly spawn into a special room called “Spawn room”

You must protect your flag, and to bring opponent’s Flag to your Flag room… Here is your Flag room

Secondly, players of each team go to opponent’s “Flag room” to get their flag.

To take their flag, just walk on it..
Since you do so, there should be a message appearing saying “[TEAM COLOR] has the flag!

7530 7529

Thirdly, you have to bring back their flag to your base.. But your enemy won’t let you do‼ They will try to get it back! This is why they will try to kill you

Then, there are 3 possibilities :

1) You stay alive

Gratz‼ You’re still alive!
Run like crazy to your own Flag room, and walk on ur Flag!
You’ll receive a message “[TEAM COLOR] scored!

7532 7531

2) You die, but one of your team mates takes the flag again :

If you die, their flag falls on the floor And message
[TEAM COLOR] dropped the flag!.. They only have to walk on it to bring it back..

(Young people, don’t look at the picture : I’m dead on it.. :banana:)

But if one of your team mates walks on it, your team gets the flag again‼ (Here, one of my team mate was dead, and I took it :))

Then, your team mate is going to try to take it back to your flag room and score!

3) You die, and your team mates are too far to get it back :(

If you die, while your team mates are close enough, the enemy can take the flag back.. They just have to walk on it and their Flag will go back to their Flag Room and a message “[FLAG COLOR] has returned!”

So be careful! :)

In another hand, your enemies are supposed to take your Flag if they want to win.. This is why, You’ll have to stop them :)!

Firstly target the flag carrier, then mages to avoid reviving, and then birds.. Avoid targeting str bear first.. In the order of targeting, it would be :

[B]Mage INT,dex/Bird dex,int/Bear dex,int/Mage str/ Bird str/ Bear str

So, when u killed the Flag carrier, just walk on your flag and it will be back to the Flag room :D

3rd question : How can I become good to it?

Ah! That’s a very large question! Each players has his own way to play, this is why I’ll explaine mine, which works for birds only, and then I’ll explain the way that Mages and Bears can be serial killers according to me and my experience.. Indeed, after 21k deaths, you learn from others classes, and their skills which kill you lol..

I’ll be speaking mostly for LvL65-66!

For others LvLs, Tips, Gears, and combos are on my other thread!
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?52628-The-mega-GUIDE-PvP-Gears-Skills-tips-for-all-LvLs

Birds :

The tips I’m going to present to you are really general ones… If you want to become really good, you’ll need to find your OWN combos and way of playing! :)..

First of all, when you’re a bird dex (I’m speaking about full dex birds for now), don’t do as I do.. Don’t run like crazy into the 3 buffed opposite team players like a Kamikaze! It would be death for 99% if you don’t dodge all :).. If they are unbuffed while you are, and if they are 3ones close, use AOE skills (=all enemy close are damaged) such as Wall root, shatter blast. If you didn’t die before using those 3 skills, you’re sure to kill at least 1 :).

Secondly, avoid fighting vanity crafted lilith setted mages with mana shield on.. If your in front of one, u have 20% chance to win, if u dodge fire and drain :)! I advide u to blast (it brakes mana shields) and to run the time your blast goes back :)‼

Thirdly, vs bears, you better use your 2 rootsand use a fast killing combo (root, break, shatter,r blast, (start running) blind repulse). If they pull you, try to flee, you can use “mega repulse” combo (I named it like that :) ) which is Avianscream+repulse, it makes them “fly” lol :)
Avoid taking flag, or if you really want to do so, hide, let someone else in your team tank, and go out of your hide and cross everyone fast using all your arrows..

About Strong Dex birds, It depends the form of playing you use. If you use full str set, don’t hesitate to tank, indeed, with your 65+ dodge, you will dodge nearly all ^^.. root shatter blast should be enough to kill a poor dex bird.
If your strong dex bird using bow, I advice you this gear : crafted Longbow, Orlok helm/armor + vanity bonus. If you get that gear, you should be dodging ¾ skills and hiting 250 with good range.. Really hard to be killed :)!
Don’t hesitate to take flag when yout with sword set! Especially when you’re buffed! You will be hardly defeated!

Mages:

I never CTF with mages, however, I can tell you some tips about the easy way to kill others :)!

First of all, you should get 67 DEX point and rest INT. It brings you damage, a bit dodge and critical.
Then use crafted Lilith WAND set, and vanity bonuses if you have sure…

Secondly, use your mana shield when you’re at 15-14 meters of a bird dex, or of a dex bear. If there isn’t one of those close to you, use your mana shield only when you”re going to die!

Thirdly, (I didn’t want to say it cuz now I’m gonna die bad :() try to target low defense enemy! Indeed, a fire and another skill will be enough to kill the opponent! (Last time I got hit 559 lololol)

Fourthly, a few days ago I found something out.. I’m not sure it’s working tho.. This is why, this is truly an suggestion :).. I saw that some mages were clicking on drain targeting a guy who was at about 8m of them and that, just after, if they clicked on another enemy before their drain damage, it was the 2nd targeted enemy who was taking the damages O.O! This is why, they can kill players behind walls lol.. Idk if it is comprehensible.. tell me if you didn’t understand what I meant lol :)

Fivethly, try to use your drain for when you’re going to die :).. It may heal you 445 HP… lol

If you want to get the Flag, be sure you’re buffed and that you have mana shield available.. Indeed, having the Flag reduces your damage and your speed :) Your drain won’t save you as many HP points as before :banana:

Bears :

I’ve never owed a bear.. I can tell you the hardest bears skills I’ve met :)

First of all, when you’re a bear, always be close from a wall.. And when an enemy comes close to you, PULL him and destroy him on the wall with all your slashes lol!

Secondly, keep your pull when there are 2 opponents in range, it will permit you to get more chance to get a kill.. Especially when you’re a dex bear! Whenever you pull auto stomp, it instantly kill the other guy :)!

Thirdly, don’t hesitate to take the flag when your str sword set! A taunt+Evade can bring you to 80 dodge‼ Just stomp when enemies comes too close haha :D

4th question What are the maps I can practice it in?

- The halls of OIO !

Great map with 6 orbs and 2 spawn places per team :) 5 POINTS NEEDED

- Forest Flag Fight :

Really Big map with “no end matches”.. I’ve done 2 ones in there… Each took 3 hours and it ended because the other team gave up. 2 Spawn rooms per team 5 POINTS NEEDED

- Castle Keep-Away !

Huge map, 1 spawn room, Most played of the5-5 CTF maps :) Games last 1-2H, 10 POINTS NEEDED

- Sandstone Forts!

Really big map, 1 spawn room, 1 flag room, The only way you can score is to sneak the flag by hiding lol.. 5 POINTS NEEDED

- The Field of Honor

Dark place, really nearly never played :)..2 spawn rooms, barrels and orbs, 5 POINTS NEEDED

- Blacksmoke Mountain : Burning Flats.

Awesome new PvP map!! Great colors, Scary lava, good place to run in circle, GREAT map :) 5 points needed, no barrels, and 2 speed orbs on sides !

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Here is the end of The CTF guide ! I hope it learnt you things! :D

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them below ^^ !!

Cya Soon In-Game or in Forums ! Have a nice day or night lol.

Elysony
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
CTF : Capture the Flag

Preface
I decided to make this guide because I’ve just reached my 30.000 CTF kills :)..
Moreover, see all the questions which were asked about the way to play this awesome game mode, I couldn’t have resisted to make a guide for explaining it :banana:

The guide contains the following information:

What is CTF?
How can I become good to it?
What are the maps I can practice it in?
And some more :p

1st question: What is CTF?

First of all, CTF means “Capture the Flag”.
Why is it called like that? That’s quite easy to guess :).. Let me explain you the rules of this game :D!

You have two teams, a Red one and a Blue one. Those two teams have two goals : to defend their Flag, and Capture the other’s team Flag..
Hehe! This is why it is called Capture the Flag.. You’re following? :D

2nd question: What’s a CTF game progress?

They firstly spawn into a special room called “Spawn room”

You must protect your flag, and to bring opponent’s Flag to your Flag room… Here is your Flag room

Secondly, players of each team go to opponent’s “Flag room” to get their flag.

To take their flag, just walk on it..
Since you do so, there should be a message appearing saying “[TEAM COLOR] has the flag!

7530 7529

Thirdly, you have to bring back their flag to your base.. But your enemy won’t let you do‼ They will try to get it back! This is why they will try to kill you

[B]Then, there are 3 possibilities :

1) You stay alive

Gratz‼ You’re still alive!
Run like crazy to your own Flag room, and walk on ur Flag!
You’ll receive a message “[TEAM COLOR] scored!

7532 7531

2) You die, but one of your team mates takes the flag again :

If you die, their flag falls on the floor And message
[TEAM COLOR] dropped the flag!.. They only have to walk on it to bring it back..

(Young people, don’t look at the picture : I’m dead on it.. :banana:)

But if one of your team mates walks on it, your team gets the flag again‼ (Here, one of my team mate was dead, and I took it :))

Then, your team mate is going to try to take it back to your flag room and score!
3) You die, and your team mates are too far to get it back :(

If you die, while your team mates are close enough, the enemy can take the flag back.. They just have to walk on it and their Flag will go back to their Flag Room and a message “[FLAG COLOR] has returned!”

So be careful! :)

In another hand, your enemies are supposed to take your Flag if they want to win.. This is why, You’ll have to stop them :)!

Firstly target the flag carrier, then mages to avoid reviving, and then birds.. Avoid targeting str bear first.. In the order of targeting, it would be :

Mage INT,dex/Bird dex,int/Bear dex,int/Mage str/ Bird str/ Bear str

So, when u killed the Flag carrier, just walk on your flag and it will be back to the Flag room :D

3rd question : How can I become good to it?

Ah! That’s a very large question! Each players has his own way to play, this is why I’ll explaine mine, which works for birds only, and then I’ll explain the way that Mages and Bears can be serial killers according to me and my experience.. Indeed, after 21k deaths, you learn from others classes, and their skills which kill you lol..

I’ll be speaking mostly for LvL65-66!

For others LvLs, Tips, Gears, and combos are on my other thread!
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?52628-The-mega-GUIDE-PvP-Gears-Skills-tips-for-all-LvLs

Birds :

The tips I’m going to present to you are really general ones… If you want to become really good, you’ll need to find your OWN combos and way of playing! :)..

First of all, when you’re a bird dex (I’m speaking about full dex birds for now), don’t do as I do.. Don’t run like crazy into the 3 buffed opposite team players like a Kamikaze! It would be death for 99% if you don’t dodge all :).. If they are unbuffed while you are, and if they are 3ones close, use AOE skills (=all enemy close are damaged) such as Wall root, shatter blast. If you didn’t die before using those 3 skills, you’re sure to kill at least 1 :).
Secondly, avoid fighting vanity crafted lilith setted mages with mana shield on.. If your in front of one, u have 20% chance to win, if u dodge fire and drain :)! I advide u to blast (it brakes mana shields) and to run the time your blast goes back :)‼
Thirdly, vs bears, you better use your 2 rootsand use a fast killing combo (root, break, shatter,r blast, (start running) blind repulse). If they pull you, try to flee, you can use “mega repulse” combo (I named it like that :) ) which is Avianscream+repulse, it makes them “fly” lol :)
Avoid taking flag, or if you really want to do so, hide, let someone else in your team tank, and go out of your hide and cross everyone fast using all your arrows..

About Strong Dex birds, It depends the form of playing you use. If you use full str set, don’t hesitate to tank, indeed, with your 65+ dodge, you will dodge nearly all ^^.. root shatter blast should be enough to kill a poor dex bird.
If your strong dex bird using bow, I advice you this gear : crafted Longbow, Orlok helm/armor + vanity bonus. If you get that gear, you should be dodging ¾ skills and hiting 250 with good range.. Really hard to be killed :)!
Don’t hesitate to take flag when yout with sword set! Especially when you’re buffed! You will be hardly defeated!

Mages:

I never CTF with mages, however, I can tell you some tips about the easy way to kill others :)!

First of all, you should get 67 DEX point and rest INT. It brings you damage, a bit dodge and critical.
Then use crafted Lilith WAND set, and vanity bonuses if you have sure…

First of all, use your mana shield when you’re at 15-14 meters of a bird dex, or of a dex bear. If there isn’t one of those close to you, use your mana shield only when you”re going to die!

Secondly, (I didn’t want to say it cuz now I’m gonna die bad :() try to target low defense enemy! Indeed, a fire and another skill will be enough to kill the opponent! (Last time I got hit 559 lololol)

Thirdly, a few days ago I found something out.. I’m not sure it’s working tho.. This is why, this is truly an suggestion :).. I saw that some mages were clicking on drain targeting a guy who was at about 8m of them and that, just after, if they clicked on another enemy before their drain damage, it was the 2nd targeted enemy who was taking the damages O.O! This is why, they can kill players behind walls lol.. Idk if it is comprehensible.. tell me if you didn’t understand what I meant lol :)

Fourthly, try to use your drain for when you’re going to die :).. It may heal you 445 HP… lol

If you want to get the Flag, be sure you’re buffed and that you have mana shield available.. Indeed, having the Flag reduces your damage and your speed :) Your drain won’t save you as many HP points as before :banana:

Bears :

I’ve never owed a bear.. I can tell you the hardest bears skills I’ve met :)

First of all, when you’re a bear, always be close from a wall.. And when an enemy comes close to you, PULL him and destroy him on the wall with all your slashes lol!
Secondly, keep your pull when there are 2 opponents in range, it will permit you to get more chance to get a kill.. Especially when you’re a dex bear! Whenever you pull auto stomp, it instantly kill the other guy :)!
Thirdly, don’t hesitate to take the flag when your str sword set! A taunt+Evade can bring you to 80 dodge‼ Just stomp when enemies comes too close haha :D

4th question What are the maps I can practice it in?

- The halls of OIO !

Great map with 6 orbs and 2 spawn places per team :) 5 POINTS NEEDED

7537 7538

- Forest Flag Fight :

Really Big map with “no end matches”.. I’ve done 2 ones in there… Each took 3 hours and it ended because the other team gave up. 2 Spawn rooms per team 5 POINTS NEEDED

7539 7540

- Castle Keep-Away !

Huge map, 1 spawn room, Most played of the5-5 CTF maps :) Games last 1-2H, 10 POINTS NEEDED

7541 7542

- Sandstone Forts!

Really big map, 1 spawn room, 1 flag room, The only way you can score is to sneak the flag by hiding lol.. 5 POINTS NEEDED

7543 7544

- The Field of Honor

Dark place, really nearly never played :)..2 spawn rooms, barrels and orbs, 5 POINTS NEEDED

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

Here is the end of The CTF guide ! I hope it learnt you things! :D If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them to me in comments !!

Cya Soon In-Game or in Forums ! Have a nice day !

Wow glad it was stickied great job!

Chickenrunnn
03-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow glad it was stickied great job!

Thx! :D i re-looked a bit my post, this is why your quote isn't the same as my guide now :P hehe :) Thx very much

Walkhardd
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Nice guide chicken! :)

Gaunab
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
+1 for the huge effort you put into this!

However, I think the biggest part of Ctf is pretty much self-explanatory or easy to understand after you played a few rounds...

And for the combo part, I'd suggest that you actually focus on stratiegical elements and group dynamics which are key in ctf.
You gave a short 1-1 breakdown for each class (okay, some FFA elements too), but that shouldn't be what you try to do since it would need much more and complex explanations IMO. I find myself disagreeing at some aspects too, but that might just be my individual playstyle. It will be helpful for newcomers tho :)

Some strategical elements you could consider to put in:
Playing with a tank
Split groups (as often used for castle games)
Buff timing
Use of walls and other objects
Flag 'sneaking'

I hope I don't sound all too negative, just tring to provide some constructive feedback. :)

Oh, something else...

For me, CTF is FREE FOR ALL.

no 1v1, no chatroom. And if you decide to stand inside of my spawn to kuddle, don't expect me to ask before I kill you. :)

Chickenrunnn
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
You gave a short 1-1 breakdown for each class (okay, some FFA elements too), but that shouldn't be what you try to do since it would need much more and complex explanations IMO. I find myself disagreeing at some aspects too, but that might just be my individual playstyle. It will be helpful for newcomers tho :)

I made the part of how becoming good to explain the basic skills ^^.. I didn't precise that much, and I will add more infos :D

Thanks for commenting :D

WoundedEagle
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Much nicer job :D

13lacklegionz
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I never I'd thought I'd see the day when Chickenrunnn's name would be posted on my Facebook News Feed... mais cet jour est arrivé.

C'est effrayant...

Anyways, nice guide...! >.<

Chickenrunnn
03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I never I'd thought I'd see the day when Chickenrunnn's name would be posted on my Facebook News Feed... mais cet jour est arrivé.

C'est effrayant...

Anyways, nice guide...! >.<

LoL!!!!! xD (it's the second time btw lol :D)

Nice french worrds lol

Ovocotto
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Very good job:)

XghostzX
03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the great guide!

Fallen_Chisk_Angels
03-22-2012, 01:45 AM
haha congrats on sticky!! (nice guide BTW) lol

Imsebastiaanl
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
You forgot to say 'rockwall forts' at where you can practise it haha, good job

Sryyoulose
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Useless for me but good guide =p +1 thanks for teaching all those newbies how to pvp.

Azataso
05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Check out all those smileys and 'lol' so much, they freak me out, lol :)

Chickenrunnn
05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Check out all those smileys and 'lol' so much, they freak me out, lol :)

Right.. Looks like Smiley Invasion rofl

SuperGotenks
05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Nice guide nono :)

Chickenrunnn
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
New content added :) !!

Some new picture uploaded
Corrected mistakes / Lists failing
Added some more tips for mage/bear/birds :)
Decided to center the 2 first parts lol ^^.. It was looking better :)

Enjoy everyone :) And again, if you have questions (about pvp or ctf) , ask here or into my pvp guide ! :D ^^

Cruis
07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Epic guide, even though I already know how to CTF, I read it anyway!

Cruis
07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) great for newbies! They're the game's main priority!

ArtofWar
08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
good guide ^^

Chickenrunnn
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Multibird
09-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Very Helpful and ty

Umayr
10-07-2012, 06:29 AM
You put Fivethly, its Fifthly, anyway nice guide, you deserve to have it stickied, great guide and hope you make more guides like this :D

Avianholic
12-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow rlly good how u explain thank you:)

Chickenrunnn
12-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Wow rlly good how u explain thank you:)

Thanks much =)

New content :

Centering pictures to make it nicer :)
New Map added :) Burning Flats !!!! :)

Enjoy hehe :p