PDA

View Full Version : Staff vs Wand

Zamu
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I have noticed a strange problem with the range of these 2 weapons, i took pictures of the range of both and you can see that the staff has a shorter range than the wand. When i changed to staff after wand i only tapped the attack button, which moves me into range, i did not touch the movement button.

Why though? Thats like giving the talon longer range than bows. Staffs are 2h, therefore they should have longer range to make up for the less armour and stuff.

Can someone please confirm for me whether this is a problem or not? Because i feel that staffs are bad at pvp purely for this reason, the added damage could make up for the less armour, but having the range shortened on top of it renders it very hard to use effectively.

Charmstrange
03-22-2012, 03:39 AM
I noticed the same thing with the short range of the crafted lilith staff. I was trying to kill roach in the sewers and found that the staff didn't have enough range to kite without getting me getting hit by roachaceous ferocity. Well, i could kite but the staff would just stop shooting. I switched to the wand set and was able to kill the roach easily (but more slowly).

This was not true of earlier 2h mage weps; the gemstone staves of the sewers had enough range to continue shooting while staying out of strike distance of the roach.

fuzzylazer
03-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Maybe crafted staff is too op?

Zamu
03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
@chiie You might be right, i have no idea why they would decrease the range, maybe a bug?

@fuzzylazer How is the staff OP? it only has a bit more damage than wand, yet every other stat is reduced because of the shield's stats added. This is probably the reason why everyone uses wand, because the staff has shorter range so its less reliable and less useful for both pve and pvp.

Shellkaz
03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
yeah, I usually run with my wand bracer combo unless in a low level map. I first noticed it at Emma, since I'm a wall hugger, I just didn't want to drag some poor soul into a pvp map so I could run the risk or killing them to test a theory. LOL props to Eddy, for being your guinea pig. ;-)

Next time hunt me up, I don't pvp so a couple deaths more or less don't make a difference to me :-)

Noodleleg
03-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Right now at end game pvp, wand seems to dominate.. And as you showed, it had better range too. I think it's because the staff you have there is lightning based and the lightning skill is 8m.

Gaunab
03-25-2012, 03:07 AM
One of the reasons no mage would go Staff for PvP...

Needs definitely some kind of rebalance like it was at 56 cap with wand/staff sets, that had both pros and cons in PvP.

Whirlzap
03-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Staff is more OP in terms of aggressiveness.
It has way more attack DPS and skill damage.
Wand is more defensive, having more armor, and also more dodge and Regen.
In this game, it's better to go defensive rather than aggressive for PvP.
However, when fighting defensive classes such as warbird and bear, staff works better.
Reason is, I can two-shot top warbirds with a staff, while I have to tank it out with a wand.
I think now what we are actually talking about, is
The bracer is what makes using a wand good.
The wand itself has the same mods as staff, but with less skill damage.
But using the wand also enables a bracer to be equipped, thus making more stats available.
If you plan on PvPing, take Wand Set for CTF.
Take Staff Set for FFA, and Wand Set for 1v1.

For PvE, take a Wand Set for Bossing and Soloing.
Take a Staff Set for partying.