PDA

View Full Version : Auction house

xBlacklightx
08-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey pocket legends! I just want to start off by saying great game! It's absolutely great and next time I have money I'm buying platinum because I'm tired of lvl 13.
Now to the serious matter. I've heard rumors of an "auction house". I just want to give my opinion of what my ideal auction house would be.
You go up to an un-enterable building, you click on it, you choose "buying" or "sellng" if you choose to sell you add items you want to sell, when your items are purchased the gold is added to your account. If your buying you just choose a category and find your item, simple! Btw I jus want to emphasize I'm not tryinhlg to tell you what to do your doing a great job.

tjornan
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Im fairly certain this is kinda what it will be like

xBlacklightx
08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I hope so. Btw do you have any of the extra content? If so what do you recomend I buy first? Thanks in advance :)

KingFu
08-07-2010, 11:56 PM
My opinion on the auction house.

They aren't rumors. They should be here next big update. I think you should walk up to a big gold castle kinda place. Walk in and talk to the auction holder, choose whether you are buying or selling, if you sell you type in the starting bid, and the minimum increase on the bid, you also choose how long the item should be up for auction, at the end of the auction time, you get some kind of alert, you then go to the auction house and accept the highest bid or decline. If you decline you shouldn't be able to put the same item up for option for certain amount of time/days.

If you buy, you should be able to search the item, search the seller, be able to filter the items through price range to find something in your desired price range, you should also be able to get an alert or something to show when you have been out bidded. It would also be nice to be able to view the item before the purchase, and maybe even put items as an offer. If you put items as an offer, when the seller enters the auction house he can
either select, bids of gold, bids of items, or bids of items and gold. The seller could also
possibly make a wish list for items he is seeking to trade it for. The auction house can go
very far, and knowing the devs, it will turn out great!

Gavry
08-08-2010, 12:06 AM
My little additions.

When you put an item up for sale it's taken from your inv and put in the sale cache.

When you bid the gold you bid is taken off you. If someone overbids you the gold is returned and new bidder has his/her gold held.

I think that if there has been a bid on an item it must be sold at end of designated time period. It's inherent on the seller to make sure the minimum bid is the lowest they are happy to receive.

xBlacklightx
08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Everything you said I completely agree with, although I have one thing I want to add. I think it would be cool if there were 2 ways of selling items. The first being bidding. The second would be a set price and whoever pays, gets it. Like ebay's "buy it now" option.

KingFu
08-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree with Gavry. I also think you can only have about 5 items up for auction at a time, and that you can only have about 10 holding bids at one time.

Iambirdman
08-08-2010, 12:09 AM
My opinion on the auction house.

They aren't rumors. They should be here next big update. I think you should walk up to a big gold castle kinda place. Walk in and talk to the auction holder, choose whether you are buying or selling, if you sell you type in the starting bid, and the minimum increase on the bid, you also choose how long the item should be up for auction, at the end of the auction time, you get some kind of alert, you then go to the auction house and accept the highest bid or decline. If you decline you shouldn't be able to put the same item up for option for certain amount of time/days.

If you buy, you should be able to search the item, search the seller, be able to filter the items through price range to find something in your desired price range, you should also be able to get an alert or something to show when you have been out bidded. It would also be nice to be able to view the item before the purchase, and maybe even put items as an offer. If you put items as an offer, when the seller enters the auction house he can
either select, bids of gold, bids of items, or bids of items and gold. The seller could also
possibly make a wish list for items he is seeking to trade it for. The auction house can go
very far, and knowing the devs, it will turn out great!

I am sorry mystic but I think you should be able to buy right of way at auction house, not wait who know how long till your bid is approved or declined by seller

KingFu
08-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Everything you said I completely agree with, although I have one thing I want to add. I think it would be cool if there were 2 ways of selling items. The first being bidding. The second would be a set price and whoever pays, gets it. Like ebay's "buy it now" option.

Agreed. That would be a nice option, although some people might put the bid at 10K with a minimum price increase of 2K and the "buy it now price" being something ridiculous like 300K.

I think they need apt have limits on e minimum price increase, the starting bid price, and the "buy it now" price if that were to be implemented. That might help stop people (particularly noobs) from putting in a low level white item and asking for an imense amount of gold for that item.

KingFu
08-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I am sorry mystic but I think you should be able to buy right of way at auction house, not wait who know how long till your bid is approved or declined by seller

True, but maybe have an option for both like blacklight said.

EDIT: sorry for double posting, on iPod/iPad it takes forever to quote and edit it in. ;)

EDIT: remember though it is an auction house, so it's a place for bids. Not a garage sale. ;)

vulgarstrike
08-08-2010, 12:21 AM
but hey it's the sellers choice. with the auction haus people will have to lower prices as everyone can see if you're overcharging.

xBlacklightx
08-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Hey I'm going to let you guys keep throwing ideas around but I just wanted to give you all a quick word of thanks for making my first thread an enjoyable one filled with great ideas and where everyones ideas were treated with respect and not just shot down :)

KingFu
08-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey I'm going to let you guys keep throwing ideas around but I just wanted to give you all a quick word of thanks for making my first thread an enjoyable one filled with great ideas and where everyones ideas were treated with respect and not just shot down :)

Woot' woot'! Welcome to the forums!

bmc85uk
08-08-2010, 12:42 AM
The more I think about it the more I don't think an actual auction house would be feasible in PL.

Does anyone know of any other MMOs with an auction feature in the economy? I can only think of games with 'buy it now' versions. With PL as it is, I'm not sure such a complex system makes sense, even if it is feasible.

Either way, I think that sale slots should be reasonably low by default, maybe 5-10, but upgradeable via in-app purchase.

Cascade
08-08-2010, 12:45 AM
I know that Runescape has a type of auction house.

bmc85uk
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
And how well does it work? Would you be able to compress the interface to the size of an iPhone/iPod screen?

Is it not a complete PITA?

Royce
08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Would you be able to compress the interface to the size of an iPhone/iPod screen?

eBay has an iPhone app, and that manages to fit in buy it now, bid, etc. So I'm not sure why PL couldn't fit that sort of stuff in. Anyway, I certainly don't expect the hous to be very complex, at least not at first...

jonboy
08-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I want it to work like an auction house, no fancy guff just make it work.

Boboeye
08-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Either way, I think that sale slots should be reasonably low by default, maybe 5-10, but upgradeable via in-app purchase.

I was wondering how an auction house could help the devs other than just making happy customers. A free limit of 1,3, or 5 items at a time/daily. You would need to spend platinum for extra slots for the non-casual seller.

This would make the system easier and give the devs more reason to build it faster.

I am all for a large aution but not for silly items posted and taking up space.

Buy it now is also a must if the seller chooses.

Gavry
08-08-2010, 05:45 AM
The more I think about it the more I don't think an actual auction house would be feasible in PL.

Does anyone know of any other MMOs with an auction feature in the economy? I can only think of games with 'buy it now' versions. With PL as it is, I'm not sure such a complex system makes sense, even if it is feasible.

I've played a few MUDs in my time. The grandfather of MMOs and they all had Auction Houses, and very successful ones at that. Why can't it work?

1. I have a Thoth Plasma Sword I want to sell.
2. I post it on the auction house with the following details:
a. Starting Price: 20,000
b. Reserve: 150,000
c. Days: 5
3. People place bids on the item.
4. At the end of 5 days the person with the highest bid over my reserve, 150,000, gets the sword and I get the gold they bid, lets say 240,000.
5. If the reserve wasn't met I get my sword back and the highest bidder get his/her money back.

How can't it work?

KingFu
08-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I've played a few MUDs in my time. The grandfather of MMOs and they all had Auction Houses, and very successful ones at that. Why can't it work?

1. I have a Thoth Plasma Sword I want to sell.
2. I post it on the auction house with the following details:
a. Starting Price: 20,000
b. Reserve: 150,000
c. Days: 5
3. People place bids on the item.
4. At the end of 5 days the person with the highest bid over my reserve, 150,000, gets the sword and I get the gold they bid, lets say 240,000.
5. If the reserve wasn't met I get my sword back and the highest bidder get his/her money back.

How can't it work?

2 things.

1. Every good auction house has a minimum bid increase so people don't raise the last bid by 1 gold.

2. Can I buy your plasma sword of thoth for 150K? ;)

xBlacklightx
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
One thing I just thought of. They could put one auction house in each town which would keep one auction house from overflowing with items. Another thing which might prevent noobs from putting up lame items. My idea is that they could put an auction house in every city EXCEPT forest haven.

Yardsalez
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a feeling this will be like the world of warcraft auction house. In wow their are 4 cities and each one has auction houses. People look up an item to see how much people are trying to sell it for and put theirs for less. This may be the case. People are going to be buying the less overpriced one. in pl, the ah may just be in the Forest Haven city because that is the Trader's city. you will be able to put a minimum bid and buyout. If you just want to buyout you just buy the item for its buyout price and not the bidding price. The one thing I am do not think will happen or know is when you post an item on the ah, you will have to pay a short fee. In world of warcraft you do.

Elffy
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Wow the auction houses are connected except for the neutral faction houses and opposite faction houses. Also wow has more than 4 cities with ahs but not the point. Wow ah really helped make a stable economy and for the more common prices you could expect how much each of them would cost because people wouldn't go lower than certain prices. However who cares if nooks (or anyone) puts up crap for really expensive doesn't mean you have to even see it cuz why would you search crappy items and especially why would you buy it.

Yardsalez
08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
It has four each faction so yes

ishibashi
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Mysticaldream;52153]
hahaha this is simply easy to bypass, next one guy is gona sell his plasma of thoth for a bit lower and than another guy will go lower , and etc until pretty much the economy is most likely broken, i say that if there was an auction house that the ah would appraise the item and put it for sale at the auction houses price according to the economy- that would be more of a smart economy because itd let the devs still "rule" the game because they set prices but itd be like a maximum and minimum price which would make it flexible for us players :) hopefully i helped someon change their view that woulda made this typing useful at least xD

Gavry
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
hahaha this is simply easy to bypass, next one guy is gona sell his plasma of thoth for a bit lower and than another guy will go lower , and etc until pretty much the economy is most likely broken, i say that if there was an auction house that the ah would appraise the item and put it for sale at the auction houses price according to the economy- that would be more of a smart economy because itd let the devs still "rule" the game because they set prices but itd be like a maximum and minimum price which would make it flexible for us players :) hopefully i helped someon change their view that woulda made this typing useful at least xD

If someone is willing to sell a Thoth Plasma Sword for 25,000 then that's his prerogative. The nature of a free market economy is the price will settle to a level where people are willing to sell at and people are willing to buy at. Right now with people setting any arbitrary price for items with no easy way to compare we have a VERY broken economy. When auction houses come in prices with settle quickly and then become much more stable. I for one can't wait until Auction houses come in, and PLEASE devs no artificial price influence in the game, let the market decide prices.

Currently different businesses sell the same product. Think of petrol stations, when they don't collude. If one station sets their price a few cents lower then the rest will lower to be competitive. Untimely the price will fall to the lowest price the stations are willing to sell for and then there will be pure competition. This is only good for the economy.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_price_system

Rather than prices being set by the state, as in a command economy with a fixed price system, prices are determined in a decentralized fashion by trades that occur as a result of sellers' asking prices matching buyers' bid prices as a result of subjective value judgement in a market economy like ebay. Since resources of consumers are limited at any given time, consumers are relegated to satisfying wants in a descending hierarchy and bidding prices relative to the urgency of a variety of wants. This information on relative values is communicated, through price signals, to producers whose resources are also limited. In turn, relative prices for the productive services are established. The interchange of these two sets of prices establish market value, and serve to guide the rationing of resources, distributing income, and allocating resources.

In PL terms:

Someone sets the price for a Thoth at a Minimum of 450,000
Someone else sets their at 300,000
etc
etc
Finally someone set their at 120,000

Unless everyone else follows that price the one at 120,00 will be purchased first, however, more than one person want the sword, so people will still bid for the higher priced items. Ultimately there will be a natural maximum that nobody will be at and a natural minimum at which nobody will sell at. Around those extremes a pure market price will emerge, say 300,000. It will naturally develop due to supply and demand.

ishibashi
08-08-2010, 06:26 PM
hmmm i understand your thought but i still am not sure that this game is prepared for an ah but too an extent i feel as if it requires one lol

Gamelova
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Agreed. That would be a nice option, although some people might put the bid at 10K with a minimum price increase of 2K and the "buy it now price" being something ridiculous like 300K.

I think they need apt have limits on e minimum price increase, the starting bid price, and the "buy it now" price if that were to be implemented. That might help stop people (particularly noobs) from putting in a low level white item and asking for an imense amount of gold for that item.

Haha you made me crack up with the: "buy it now" price thing...
Good times.... Im not weird I just have moments...