PDA

View Full Version : Language ID

Roc
03-24-2012, 10:48 AM
One of the best things about this game, as I'm sure we all know :), is how global it is. We all like meeting new people (well, many of us do haha), but...then there's that awkward moment when you join a game and you say hi...then you get messages all in French, German, Korean, etc.

Rather than have such an awkward moment, why not implement a Primary Language system on the avatar screen so when people click your character they can see what language you primarily speak? This way, you'd know if they could understand you or not when you ask, "Full?" or "May I stay?" rather than feel like you're being ignored.

There could even be a Secondary Language as well, where your could put down, for example, English as a Primary but then German as a Secondary.

:)

maneatingtree
03-24-2012, 10:51 AM
where would this be put on the screen?

Roc
03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Hmm, maybe above the stat box on the avatar screen. There's some space there :)

Or like this, by the guild name

XchilangopwnX
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I like it :) +1

maneatingtree
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
sorry roc meant on the inspect page. i cant see that version when i tap on your character

Kiwihawk
03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Great idea +1

phrosts
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I like this.

Livemau
03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I like this idea because during certain times of the day I feel like I dont fit in and when I ask what language do you speak (haha dictionary.com translator XD) they just say another line that looks like gibberish to me. Lets make this happen STS

One of the best things about this game, as I'm sure we all know :), is how global it is. We all like meeting new people (well, many of us do haha), but...then there's that awkward moment when you join a game and you say hi...then you get messages all in French, German, Korean, etc.

Rather than have such an awkward moment, why not implement a Primary Language system on the avatar screen so when people click your character they can see what language you primarily speak? This way, you'd know if they could understand you or not when you ask, "Full?" or "May I stay?" rather than feel like you're being ignored.

There could even be a Secondary Language as well, where your could put down, for example, English as a Primary but then German as a Secondary.

:)

Noodleleg
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think Vietnamese is coming... So many accents (symbols) to remember. You guys wouldn't understand the concept =p yes, letters with a bunch of symbols :-D

Roc
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Whenever I use Mandarin I just use pinyin as there isn't support for characters :distant:

Noodleleg
03-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Whenever I use Mandarin I just use pinyin as there isn't support for characters :distant:

No characters in Vietnamese bro... Symbols with letters =p like French.. But more complicated.

Roc
03-24-2012, 09:34 PM
No characters in Vietnamese bro... Symbols with letters =p like French.. But more complicated.

I know, but I was just relating it to my experience dealing with non-English languages in game (I should have elaborated more, my bad!)...which is of course different since I don't know Vietnamese, but I think is a super cool language. I wish I had the time to learn it. My Vietnamese friends just laugh when I try to speak it :biggrin: Maybe one day there will be support for more than US-ASCII inputs! We all make do until then, I suppose :)

Noodleleg
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
XD I could imagine that.