PDA

View Full Version : What was your first MMORPG?

Samhayne
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I was chatting with another player over the weekend about what first MMORPGs we played. Now, we're showing our age a bit and dating ourselves, but we both played EverQuest back in the day.

I played an Enchanter at the launch of EQ. Such an fun group class that could take a bad group and make it good and take a good group and make it awesome! Don't even think about soloing, though.

Anyone else play EQ? Or, what was your first MMORPG and what did you play and/or what did you like about it?

adidaman
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
My first ever MMORPG was guild wars. I started playing about a week after launch, and I check back every once in a while to get my b-day presents. I went on about a week ago to check my characters, and it turns out that I have a bunch of apparently discontinued items on my really old chars, so now I'm a guild wars millionaire (: And I tried out Everquest a few years ago, didn't really appeal to me. I started playing a game called "Talisman Online", and it's pretty cool (replaces wow since I have a slow computer)

Riccits
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Worms Armageddon (1999)
LOL does that count as MMORPG?

Well i liked i could play vs any ppl of the world, for me a new experience in videogaming. There also were guilds and competitions. Loved it^^

Elyseon
03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Dicing Dangers, An old browser text based mmo made by just one guy for fun, good times

Growwle
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Neverwinter Nights on AOL.

Walkhardd
03-26-2012, 10:02 AM
My first, and only other one I played was diablo2 expansion. It was sort of a secret life for awhile in high school. i would play for hours after football, baseball, or basketball practice. XD do your homework kids, unlike me. .. Unless you wanna be a truck driver. -___-

Conradin
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
EQ was mine, my Frogmar was pretty chill, although i played Runescape a lil after.

ninjaduck
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I played EQ, I was an enchanter too (i have this obssession with mages :stupid: )

I liked the originality of the maps ;D

RedRyder
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Pocket legends. I never wanted to get into an mmo, after seeing how cousins of mine became completely consumed in them. I was going through a break up and needed to get my mind off of it and I didn't have my own pc, so I stated looking for an mmo for ios. Then I found pl :p

ExperimentNebulaCore
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Played Conqerer online. Sttarted as noob, and got pk alot. Then a few week later i was high lvl, and owned in pvp and pked people. Became one of the tops trojan known to be the best.

drewcapu
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
First MMO (not really RPG) was a shoot-em-up: SubSpace (now titled Continuum, yes, still going)
Shortly thereafter played a few other titles by the same makers: Infantry (military version of SS), Cosmic Rift (wasn't as fun as the other two).

Didn't really do too many other games until Sacred Seasons and Sacred Seasons 2, both flash-based MMORPGs

Pinocciohh
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
My First MMORPG game was, i think runescape which was a good game (slightly addictive XD).

Challa
03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Runescape it was.

Dartagnian
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Ultima Online for me, then Everquest. Luclin server. Played a half elf paladin.

morfic
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
The first MMO I ever tried was Ultima Online. However, I played it for a few days.

The first MMO I really played was Anarchy Online. Still in my eyes, the best MMO (As far as mechanics go) on the PC market. If they would just hurry up with the new engine and redo all their assets, the game would be glorious.

What I like about it:
- Extremely in depth twinking and character customization.
- Guilds can build their own city throughout the world, and have their own shops in that city for other people to travel to and buy stuff.
- Guilds can have aliens invade their city, fight them off, then board the alien dropship and kill the general.
- Open world PvP
- Awesome Crafting.
- It's a Scifi mmo!
- PvP is unmatched by any other game.

dingermtb
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
My first was Ultima Online: Renaissance. Then i started playing on the "player run" servers after UO: Samauri Empires. God I feel old, lol.

Esoul
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Phantasy star online when on sega dreamcast to Pso universe xbox360, .ミⓛㅅⓛミ

Artentreri
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Evercrack was my first and god was it addicting. I remember the first time I killed that lame *** priest of discord or whatever his name was. Brutal man. Then I tried ultima for about a week and it got old, so I went on to guild wars since it wasn't a pay per month deal. After kickin tail with my necro on there I started on everquest 2, and loved it. For about a month, then somehow my pc got broken. So after that I got a junky laptop and just started playin quake 3 arena and Wolfenstein et.

jcnc
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
First one was diablo II and then the expansion. If I had a computer worth a crap I would probably still be playing that one, super addicting for myself. Miss my javazon, hammerdin, smiter......

Dazamo
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Ultima Online was my first real mmorpg if we ignore muds and bbs and such. I was a beta tester and a troubadour for quests. Those were the days. The devs were so hands on it was amazing.

Noobbe
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Gemstone3 on the old GEnie service... early 90's... yeah...

Walkhardd
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
First one was diablo II and then the expansion. If I had a computer worth a crap I would probably still be playing that one, super addicting for myself. Miss my javazon, hammerdin, smiter......

Lmao...sounds so fun! I really wish they didn't delete your account after awhile. :/

Artentreri
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, diablo 3 comes out may 15th, so it's somethin to look forward to.

csb
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Everquest. Enchanters, Druids, Clerics, Warriors, etc. Many characters on many servers. I had four accounts, and would play a group of four by myself using scripts. Back then, I figured out how to have my EQ characters level up while I slept, and I could communicate with them during the day from work using IM while they farmed and leveled. It was very fun, and I had millions of platinum.

Skeletonlord
03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Well, diablo 3 comes out may 15th, so it's somethin to look forward to.

Diablo 3 does look really good. I was watching just a few days ago a video playthrough of the game from a YouTube name of "Bluexephos", (The Yogscast). It explained everything. It was uploaded just a few weeks ago. Just visit there channel and look through recent uploads.

My first MMORPG had got to be Runescape. It was a really good MMO with a lot of action and fun. However , I stopped playing when Pockelt Legends started to get really fun and enjoyable.

morfic
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Gemstone3 on the old GEnie service... early 90's... yeah...

Oh god. i didn't even consider this... but you're right.

My first MMO was DragonRealms on AOL. I played that for like 5 years. Heck I even resub time to time. I love those MUDs

Lowlyspy
03-26-2012, 11:55 AM
My first was Everquest. I got to about level 15 then lost interest in the game. Haven't played any MMORPG's since until I found PL.

anthonyxxxx
03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
First was Everquest. Started 97 may i think , Erudite mage. Qeyons(sonyeq) to high keep run was scary, I hide in hut when hill giant spotted me. Was a awesome game and played 5 yrs! Now pl!

csb
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
First was Everquest. Started 97 may i think , Erudite mage. Qeyons(sonyeq) to high keep run was scary, I hide in hut when hill giant spotted me. Was a awesome game and played 5 yrs! Now pl!

But, you couldn't hide in a hut. Everything could see through walls, it was all about proximity, keeping a safe distance.

Yes, running from Freeport to Qeynos via High Keep was an adventure. In some ways, the simplicity and adventure of the early part of the game was more fun than the later expansions. And, the game loses something when hill giants are no longer scary.

Samhayne
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
But, you couldn't hide in a hut. Everything could see through walls, it was all about proximity, keeping a safe distance.

Yes, running from Freeport to Qeynos via High Keep was an adventure. In some ways, the simplicity and adventure of the early part of the game was more fun than the later expansions. And, the game loses something when hill giants are no longer scary.

Haha, yeah those early days. If you heard the flap... flap... flap... of a Griffon's wings in Eastern Commonlands you knew you had better scoot!

LwMark
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Graalonline

Qqqxxxzzz
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Plazma burst 2, I think

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Cahaun
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Champions of Norrath

Off-line :(

LuvMmorpg
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Runescape was mine. I still play it but the game went downhill b/c of all the botters. -_-

XchilangopwnX
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Perfect Wold International (PWI). I started in 2008 when the game had a year (more or less) of being released. I was instantly hooked and my main character was Race: Tideborn Class: Assassin.
I loved it but half a year later I moved to a rural area with no internet. :'( Teardrop
But it was great still haven't been able to play again. I miss it.
Here is a pic of an Tideborn Assassin

Paar
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Pocket Legends was mine ;D!!!!

Goldnhawk
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Runescape

Well, now i play forsaken world (perfect world) too but i still dont get every point of the game :/
Im just a lv 23 Kindred Assassin so itll surely take a while till im ready checkin out all features

Mitchturbo
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I dabbled in Runescape years ago :-)
Then Offline in Phantasy Star Online...
Which brought me to playing Online in Phantasy Star Zero...
And now a true MMO Game which is Star Legends!
Sci-fi rocks!

MrGoober
03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultima Online, Everquest, guild wars, Everquest II

plmafiaboss
03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
This was my first when it came out and I'm still here XD I liked it cuz it was awesome to b able to play with other ppl around the world and I have no friends :( loljkjk but this game is awesome fun lol

Iron Hand
03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
World of warcraft was first, everquest was second, mw3 on xbox live ... Played some others but not long enough to mention... Love all mmorpg's games the social aspect is what so fun for me. :)

-_-Legiito
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Mine was runescape. I loved that game but then it changed an the community got meaner. Thank goodness for STS!

nymph
03-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I vaguely remember what I first played. I think it might have been a hand-held game; fantasy themed, auto questing, spawning point was a huge castle, and I vaguely remember running with a bunch of horses...

I can't think of the name to save my life.

I just remember it as a dream nowadays... I wish I could stumble upon it again. *sigh*

Swords
03-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Runescape! played about 5 years and didnt even lvl up much at all! Only reached to 70

Garzoth
03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Runescape.... Dang I used to love that game.

Technique
03-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Man those where the days, I used to be super addicted to diablo 2 non expansion. Stopped playing after they brought the update that had the ladders and made every pre-patch character useless with the thing they did to the skill trees.

Artentreri
03-26-2012, 11:40 PM
God all this talk about everquest makes me wanna play again. Haha I had the best name too, stoppickingonme. And runningleaf. I was such a nerdy kid.

Akaee
03-27-2012, 01:01 AM
My first was Pristontale. Its rather simular to PL. Great future in thet game was the ability to age items for several times. Making the items better and raise the minimum level usability.

Ambrogino
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Maple

Matutd
03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
My first was a game called dark age of Camelot at the grand age of 8 :P I managed to hit the cap on that game, which for me was an immense achievement giving the fact that I was 8 haha. I played EQ II after that, but I never really got into it. Then I played runescape for a while (I don't know why, looking back it was a terrible game).

Zamacapaeo
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Of course I played Runescape first. Even named one of my PL Characters KarilXBow :P

PablobobChan
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Of course I played Runescape first. Even named one of my PL Characters KarilXBow :P

Lol same here! Runescape omg *facepalm

Samhayne
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
My first was a game called dark age of Camelot at the grand age of 8 :P I managed to hit the cap on that game, which for me was an immense achievement giving the fact that I was 8 haha. I played EQ II after that, but I never really got into it. Then I played runescape for a while (I don't know why, looking back it was a terrible game).

Wow, playing DAOC at 8? Did you play at the launch of the game? I had a _lot_ of fun in DAOC (I think 6 level capped characters, when the cap was 50 - healer, runemaster, champion, scout, reaver, skald and umm Friar (I wanted to say Monk, but knew that was wrong). I'm a pvper at heart ;)

Artentreri
03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow, playing DAOC at 8? Did you play at the launch of the game? I had a _lot_ of fun in DAOC (I think 6 level capped characters, when the cap was 50 - healer, runemaster, champion, scout, reaver, skald and umm Friar (I wanted to say Monk, but knew that was wrong). I'm a pvper at heart ;)

Give me a sneak peak of DL and I'll send ya an autographed copy. :p

Siejo
03-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Phantasy Star Online (PSO). I miss those days.

javier995
03-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Mine was actually Pocket Legends no joke lol.

Skeletonlord
03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Mine was actually Pocket Legends no joke lol.

You haven't played any MMO's before? My PC isn't the best for MMO's as you need to download them, most are over 1GB, and that is a lot of space for my computer to handle. My computer isn't for gaming..

Sryyoulose
03-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Mines was runescape Gods I loved that game. Now looking back at it, it's really a dumb game. However, it was highly addictive ecspecially if your friends played to.

Buffedbear Pl
04-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Gotta say runescape was my first, I pondered through tons of single-player games and until my old SNES broke down, then I entered the world of computer gaming and found myself at runescape. The only reason I played that is cause most my friends in real life played it, too. One by one, we quit, and now we have strayed in different directions. Except for a few of us, we found Pocket Legends :p

Dragonrider023
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I first played Evony, which i stopped played after few days, then played Runescape since but not played much cuz of slow computer. Also i still play WoW once in while. But i found STS which is even better!

Jugernugett
04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Well... im young lol. First mmo was, well pocket legends lol

Jdeveloper
04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
First MMORPG RuneScape, 07 ruled 08-12 sucks

Buffedbear Pl
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
First MMORPG RuneScape, 07 ruled 08-12 sucks

Nahh bro '03 was where it was at, I'm pretty sure I lost interest around '07 or '08

Silentarrow
04-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Mine was Runescape, I played Runescape for about three years then I quit. I liked Runescapes PvP system the most.

The next MMO I played was WOW, no doubt the best MMO out there, there's just so much to do! The PvP arenas are fantastic, and the graphics and landscape, beutifal. I plan to start WoW again in the next couple of years :).

Artentreri
04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I thought about playing wow, then I watched south park.

Matutd
04-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I played when cap was 50, I was a suppression bonedancer. My dad played so he got me into it, he picked my character and helped me spec. No game has ever had pvp like DAOC 3 realms all against each other, keep takes and waking up in darkness falls when another realm owned it... Oh the good old days :P

RBeltran
04-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Runescape (When it was good lol)