PDA

View Full Version : Calculate your damage per second! (The equation)

Noodleleg
03-27-2012, 10:02 PM
~CALCULATE YOUR DAMAGE PER SECOND (DPS)~

This guide was made because somebody said math never mattered... I used some of what I learned in school awhile ago and made an equation to find your DPS! However, this equation is an estimate. No guarantee you will get your exact number. I made this because I wanted to find my DPS, but didn't want to respec or buy stuff just yet. So, good luck!

Part 1

I have separated these equations by class. Each class is a tad different from the other. Of course, you won't get something accurate even though I separated. But because I did this, you'll be a little closer to your DPS than if I treated each class the same. There are 2 numbers you will get. Jot them down or remember them for part 2.

Key terms to know:

s=amount of strength in attribute
d=amount of dexterity in attribute
i=amount or intelligence in attribute
v=speed of weapon
w=weapon damage (example: the weapon has a damage of 43-69...w1=43...and w2=69

Bear

.08i+.15d+.02s+7+w1
v

.08i+.15d+.02s+13+w2
v

Bird

.09i+.16d+.02s+9+w1
v

.09i+.16d+.02s+15+w2
v

Enchantress

.08i+.14d+.02s+8+w1
v

.08i+.14d+.02s+14+w2
v

PHEW GLAD THAT'S OVER WITH... Now, the second part, which is much easier! Yay!

Part 2

To solve your DPS, we'll have to find the middle number of the two you already have. Here's the equation to find the middle number. I know there've been many people that found this equation before me, but I like to take some credit for finding it out by myself. I never found a use for it... Now I have one... YAY!!!

Know this:

Both the x=the 2 numbers you found in part 1

x2-x1

I didn't find a way to put this in the middle, but now add the number on the top by x1.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU PROBABLY GAVE UP BY NOW, BUT IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU JUST GOT YOUR APPROXIMATE DAMAGE PER SECOND!!!

Yes, this is probably useless, but hey, I did this all on an iPad... Give me some credit... NOODLE OVER AND OUT...

Noodleleg
03-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh and if you would like to add something or point out an error, feel free to post or private message me.

dugantale
03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
-stares in amazement-

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
-stares in amazement-

What lol?

Lowlyspy
03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
NOODLE! I didn't come to these forums for a math lesson, I get enough of that at school >:l

Jk, nice job bud :D

Paar
03-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I lost my part at Bear :P Lol Nice

Appleisaac
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Woah... I'm not even going to try O.o... Isn't it easier to use the stat calculater?

kiitz
03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
This looks awesome. You know what would be really cool too? Adding a part of the equation that adds in the bosses armor. We don't really know what each bosses' armor is but at least we can then estimate because its definitely not zero. A long time ago I saw posts where someone ran tests on some of the sewers bosses and the armor was at least like 60-80+.

This would help to clarify the common questions like, "This 1 handed dagger shows dps of 450+ but I seem to do a lot less damage than when using this recurve. Why is that?"

FluffNStuff
03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Not sure why you have the different stats effecting damage differently for each class, my guess would be a rounding error. Note that it only goes up at a specific interval, so if you are not ~at~ that interval, you will get the differences. Also, if you want ~true~ dps, then the equation is:
(Crit / 100 + 1) * (Damage - Enemy Armor) / Time

PablobobChan
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Lol Great job for putting this up! Owie. My head. Maths. >.< lol

drewcapu
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Long ago, physiologic (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?20606-) referred to eleanor's guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17295-) when calculating DPS (more accurately than simply doing damage divided by weapon speed to get "base dps")

@Fluff, even phys' formulas had different base damage for each class to be used in DPS calculations (8.8143 for ench, 9.5246 for bird, 7.8741 for bear)

Noodle's calcs do vary quite a bit from phys'/eleanor's calculations. But there have been enough updates since phys last updated the post (7/11/11) that I don't doubt things have changed since then.

The best way to test is to just take a bunch of toons with different attribute setups and check if the numbers match noodle's post.

btw, if you're trying to find average of x1 and x2, you gotta add them and divide by 2, not subtract ;)

I did test on my bird, and if I did it right, noodle's formulas give me 340 calc'd dps vs phys formula which gives 288 dps (!).
The actual is 336, so I think noodle is definitely on the right track!

kiitz
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
What is the method for trying to figure out a boss's armor? Anyone know a good way? You just write down your gear set up and then auto attack and see what numbers come up? I'm down to do it if people know how to run the actual numbers

drewcapu
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Guide-to-Advanced-Mechanics-in-PL-DPS-Crits-etc (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16817-)
Pocket-Legends-Enemy-Boss-and-NPC-Compendium (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18229-)

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Okay guys this is what I did... I found the rate of change on each class. Then, I checked consistency. I used attributes and saw how much attribute is needed for like 10 damage. I divided 10 by the number of attributes needed and there you have it. I wish I could find the exact rate of change though =( I had to round a little lol. MATH RULES (I'm Asian by the way >.>)

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Long ago, physiologic (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?20606-) referred to eleanor's guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17295-) when calculating DPS (more accurately than simply doing damage divided by weapon speed to get "base dps")

@Fluff, even phys' formulas had different base damage for each class to be used in DPS calculations (8.8143 for ench, 9.5246 for bird, 7.8741 for bear)

Noodle's calcs do vary quite a bit from phys'/eleanor's calculations. But there have been enough updates since phys last updated the post (7/11/11) that I don't doubt things have changed since then.

The best way to test is to just take a bunch of toons with different attribute setups and check if the numbers match noodle's post.

btw, if you're trying to find average of x1 and x2, you gotta add them and divide by 2, not subtract ;)

I did test on my bird, and if I did it right, noodle's formulas give me 340 calc'd dps vs phys formula which gives 288 dps (!).
The actual is 336, so I think noodle is definitely on the right track!

Omg wow you actually did it! I'm impressed! And many thanks for trying it out =)

drewcapu
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Okay guys this is what I did... I found the rate of change on each class. Then, I checked consistency. I used attributes and saw how much attribute is needed for like 10 damage. I divided 10 by the number of attributes needed and there you have it. I wish I could find the exact rate of change though =( I had to round a little lol. MATH RULES (I'm Asian by the way >.>)

Just keep in mind, even when you are naked, you have "fists" equipped. Fluff and I were talking about it in chat.

So, if you're basing your formulas on naked toons and check the stats (including damage and dps) as you preview a respec, be sure to account for fists. Fluff said fists are 1-7 damage with 1.2 speed. It's been a long time since I've checked the "stats" on fists, but I trust him on this, even if I won't be able to verify it tonight. ;)

That alone will probably account for the 4 damage difference that I found in my formula test.

Slcinuup
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Brain hurt

Late
03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
how did you figure this out?

Swimmingstar
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Try torch, maybe it's for secret tests!

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Ah might be why... I accounted fists as 1.0 speed.

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Meh I think wouldn't make such a difference anyways.

Buddyf97
03-28-2012, 08:04 PM
NICE! Wanna do some math and testing with me for the relationship between hit percent and dodge?!

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
When you guys have to ask yourself, "Are you smarter than an eighth grader?"
Oh and to Buddyf.... I might ;)
Maybe calculate your dodge and hit percent :D

Fao
03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
I like what you said at the end, so what if it is useless, some people will use it!! Haha, great guide dude!! I did it with me Mage and got 327!!

Buddyf97
03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
When you guys have to ask yourself, "Are you smarter than an eighth grader?"
Oh and to Buddyf.... I might ;)
Maybe calculate your dodge and hit percent :D

How about if you have x hit percent and your opponent has y dodge you hit z percent of the time?

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Oh god... That's going to take awhile.

Buddyf97
03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh god... That's going to take awhile.

lol I got my $300 graphing calculator at the ready!

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Next year I get a graphing calculator :-D high school for the win! Kind of off topic lol ^_^

plmafiaboss
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Woah... I'm not even going to try O.o... Isn't it easier to use the stat calculater?dam. U don't like math or grammar I see Mr.calculater lol

Noodleleg
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
how did you figure this out?

Scroll up :D drewcapu replied to my comment :D if you want more details ask me lol

kiitz
03-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Noodleleg! Since you are a math wizard, I would like to see if you can help do the math to figure this out: crafted sanguine longbow vs. crafted sanguine dagger and wing on a level 65 dex/str bear attacking the boss in the second Mt. Fang map. Including skill attacks and auto attacks, which does more damage to that boss, factoring in the boss's armor.

I think the answer is going to be longbow, but the real question is how much? Does the longbow do 10% more dmg? 20% more dmg?

FluffNStuff
03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
NICE! Wanna do some math and testing with me for the relationship between hit percent and dodge?!

I love calculating stuff, but this is a doozy. To give you an idea, there are actually two calculations involved, 'chance to be hit' and 'chance to dodge', and BOTH dodge and hit percentage are used in each equation (from Cinco).

Noodleleg
03-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Noodleleg! Since you are a math wizard, I would like to see if you can help do the math to figure this out: crafted sanguine longbow vs. crafted sanguine dagger and wing on a level 65 dex/str bear attacking the boss in the second Mt. Fang map. Including skill attacks and auto attacks, which does more damage to that boss, factoring in the boss's armor.

I think the answer is going to be longbow, but the real question is how much? Does the longbow do 10% more dmg? 20% more dmg?

Oke here's your answer!
Considering that dagger is 2x more DPS than longbow, you will do 2x more DPS. However, longbow has more range and you'll probably hit the boss half the time longbow does. So, that's probably going to cancel out. Now let's check the base damage of your weapons. Skills are based on base damage, not DPS. The base damage estimate for your dagger is like 120-125. The longbow's is 195-235. Now, let's see how much more is 125 to 235. We're going to do the equation for percent of change here. Difference/Original number. Which is 110/125. So the answer is .88. .88 means 88%. So I'd say about 90% difference. That is if you don't tank... Taking right by boss is completely different. Don't make me solve that lol!

ANSWER IS: ABOUT 90%

Noodleleg
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Omg this got moved to the guides section! SWEET!!!

anglfyr
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice guide! I dont feel like solvin my dps ^_^. Its too complicated hehe.. Although i <3 calculating stuff 2 hehe.. Maybe next time!

xdrowrangerx
03-29-2012, 10:12 PM
I feel the dullness in my brain setting in..............

kiitz
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Oke here's your answer!
Considering that dagger is 2x more DPS than longbow, you will do 2x more DPS. However, longbow has more range and you'll probably hit the boss half the time longbow does. So, that's probably going to cancel out. Now let's check the base damage of your weapons. Skills are based on base damage, not DPS. The base damage estimate for your dagger is like 120-125. The longbow's is 195-235. Now, let's see how much more is 125 to 235. We're going to do the equation for percent of change here. Difference/Original number. Which is 110/125. So the answer is .88. .88 means 88%. So I'd say about 90% difference. That is if you don't tank... Taking right by boss is completely different. Don't make me solve that lol!

ANSWER IS: ABOUT 90%

Thanks for the reply! Awesome calculations. What about boss armor though? If the boss armor is anywhere near 50-100, its going to cut significantly into the dagger REAL damage. Thoughts?

Noodleleg
03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the reply! Awesome calculations. What about boss armor though? If the boss armor is anywhere near 50-100, its going to cut significantly into the dagger REAL damage. Thoughts?

Because you are killing the same boss, the dagger's damage will be reduced...so will your longbow's. Again, cancels out kind of =p

adidaman
03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I prefer to look at the number next to "Dps". But hey, to each his own.

kiitz
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Because you are killing the same boss, the dagger's damage will be reduced...so will your longbow's. Again, cancels out kind of =p

Well, it actually doesn't cancel straight out. There was a lot of discussion about this disparity. For example:

Here is an extreme imaginary example:
1. Dagger with 0.1 swing speed (10x/second) with 60 Damage
2. Longbow with 1 swing speed (1x/second) with 500 Damage

We will assume that each point of armor reduces damage by 1 point. This may not actually be true, but for our purposes, lets just first assume that.

If the boss has 0 armor, then the dagger will have 600dps and the longbow will have 500dps. It seems like the dagger is better damage dealer. However, bosses never have 0 armor and I've seen in past estimations that they are often in the 70-80+ range for the higher level bosses.

Lets assume this boss has 50 armor. The new calculation then follows:

dagger:
10 attacks X (60 damage - 50 armor) = 10 x 10 = 100 effective dps

longbow:
1 attack X (500 damage - 50 armor) = 1 x 450 = 450 effective dps

The higher the armor, the greater the fast swinging weapons lose out. I would imagine that a longbow vs. dagger, the longbow would out damage the dagger even if it was just autoattacking alone, no specials included.

Noodleleg
03-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Well, it actually doesn't cancel straight out. There was a lot of discussion about this disparity. For example:

Here is an extreme imaginary example:
1. Dagger with 0.1 swing speed (10x/second) with 60 Damage
2. Longbow with 1 swing speed (1x/second) with 500 Damage

We will assume that each point of armor reduces damage by 1 point. This may not actually be true, but for our purposes, lets just first assume that.

If the boss has 0 armor, then the dagger will have 600dps and the longbow will have 500dps. It seems like the dagger is better damage dealer. However, bosses never have 0 armor and I've seen in past estimations that they are often in the 70-80+ range for the higher level bosses.

Lets assume this boss has 50 armor. The new calculation then follows:

dagger:
10 attacks X (60 damage - 50 armor) = 10 x 10 = 100 effective dps

longbow:
1 attack X (500 damage - 50 armor) = 1 x 450 = 450 effective dps

The higher the armor, the greater the fast swinging weapons lose out. I would imagine that a longbow vs. dagger, the longbow would out damage the dagger even if it was just autoattacking alone, no specials included.

Wow, never realized that. You should make a guide :-D

kiitz
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know the details of it well enough to make a guide. But I remember reading about it in posts from other big contributors in the forum.

rinny
04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
[quote= (i'm asian by the way >.>)[/quote]

me too!

XghostzX
04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Math is my strongest subject.

I feel dumb.

Nice job Noodle :D

Noodleleg
04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Anybody using this?

Noodleleg
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Take the challenge =) do it :D

Communion
01-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Lol

Idk.. I just dont know.. Lol...

Jk, good job!

Etarbitrev
01-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Wow. High credits to you for doing this, if only you could combine dis with the other guide about calculating crits & hits & dodges etc. as both the guides are very useful, but nowhere near as useful as they are together.

Try using both to make your mind up if you're struggling with these calcs.

AppleNoob
01-28-2015, 12:41 AM
Wow. High credits to you for doing this, if only you could combine dis with the other guide about calculating crits & hits & dodges etc. as both the guides are very useful, but nowhere near as useful as they are together.

Try using both to make your mind up if you're struggling with these calcs.

Check the date.

Etarbitrev
01-28-2015, 05:05 AM
I know. :) nobody else posting much in dis thread. I thought why not :)
It's not like it isn't helpful ;)

Trizo50
02-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I like eggs.....

Etarbitrev
02-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Me too.
How'd you like yours?