PDA

View Full Version : Noob proofing PL

Appleisaac
03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay I think we all know that PL has a few issues when it comes to helping newbies get adjusted to the game. Despite the fact that the recent addition of "notifications" has helped a lot, there are still many problems for newbies when they first join

Firstly, the pocket legends tutorial does not explain nearly enough for a new player. Sure, it will tell you how to put your weapon on "auto" and how to use a skill, but new players will have no idea how to add points (dex int str), add skills, or play their class correctly. I got to lv 17 before someone told me how to add dex and how to add skills to my lineup, and some players never learn how to play their classes correctly because of the lacking tutorial.

Second, many low lvs have no idea which stats to pump their attribute points into. In my experiences 7/10 newbies in forest haven are tri-speccers. The tutorial teaches nothing about how one should add points to his/her toon or even what type of points will help your character in different ways (I was shocked when I entered the forums for the first time and found that STR adds armor and dex adds damage). An easy way to fix both of these problems would be to make the tutorial longer and more class specific.

Third, I believe newbs entering pvp is another large issue in pocket legends. Many newbs decide to try out pvp and are continuously rushed by low lv twinks (yes im talking to you stupidchoices). When entered my first pvp match I was quickly discouraged by rushing twinks (yeah i called em hackers... not one of my proudest moments ;)). Many other new people rage quit the game/quit pvp forever because they were rushed by lower lv twinks. An easy solution to this problem would be to lock pvp for all accounts until a character on that account reaches lv 30. This would keep low lv noobs a safe distance from low lv twinks like myself ;)!

Last, the "firebolt" staffs Ellie the Enchantress sells in forest haven are very overpowered. These staffs have extremely high dps and over all damage compared to the str and dex weapons available to new players. Many new birds and bears decide to put points into int because they assume the int weapons will always be the best, but int soon becomes useless to a bear or bird as a main stat (unless you are going for an AWESOME int bird or bear like me :D). Over all, these over powered staffs result in unbalanced, useless, underpowered players. An easy way to solve this problem would be to put new, more balanced weapons in forest haven.

I hope you agree with my ideas :). It took a while to write this because the first time I wrote it my ipad crashed... lol... saving in word from now on! ;)

-Everyone's Favorite Apple

Swimmingstar
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I agree with your post. And I hear sometimes twinks say they rush ONLY the new faces in pvp or the noobs or people who look like noobs. Tbh I don't think anyone is a noob and anyone new should be treated that way.

Swords
03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Twinks take advantage of it -_-

I bet if they were a noob and got rushed, they would feel just the same way as the new players! A sad sad person

Conradin
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I agree with everything here. We need to have a in-depth tutorial for both PVP and for the game. I also think we need to point players to the forums.

Cahaun
03-28-2012, 06:34 PM
We could bring back the old tutorial which were epic. Maybe the old FH while we are at it.

Littlemangobi
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Noobs r always asking me to "help them lvl up" or "give them money" so I think sir a good idea (Except for the pvp rule I think it should be if u have a character I've 30 on ur account)

Skeletonlord
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I agree with everything here. We need to have a in-depth tutorial for both PVP and for the game. I also think we need to point players to the forums.

I agree, the tutorial needs to be longer. All it says about combat and bosses, and even these it doesn't go into detail. Most new players wouldn't know what PVP (even I don't, and I'm level 65 lol)!

A way we could bring players to the forums is have a free platinum offer which can start the player off. It could give them 5 platinum. When the account is created, they get the message to register a forum account with the same email as your in game email. This could link the game to the forums.

Once the forum account has been created, they are granted 5 platinum. I know 5 platinum doesn't sound like much, but new players could build it up with other offers. Tell me what you think below regarding this....

OvigorothO
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
as for your opinions toward "protecting newbies in pvp" and tri-speccing I think that its all part of the experience and that it wouldn't be right to say "your a bear you have to be pure str" because any class can have any stats hence the option to modify it at will and in any form you want. also if you "protect newbies" from pvp what if they want to pvp? isn't it their right as a player? pvp exists at level 1-29 so Why shudnt any player be able to access it until they have atleast 1 lvl 30? I completely disagree with 90% of this guide,but don't pay attention to me...as these are only my opinions towards your opinions and the fact that 99% of pol agree with u...

OvigorothO
03-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree, the tutorial needs to be longer. All it says about combat and bosses, and even these it doesn't go into detail. Most new players wouldn't know what PVP (even I don't, and I'm level 65 lol)!

A way we could bring players to the forums is have a free platinum offer which can start the player off. It could give them 5 platinum. When the account is created, they get the message to register a forum account with the same email as your in game email. This could link the game to the forums.

Once the forum account has been created, they are granted 5 platinum. I know 5 platinum doesn't sound like much, but new players could build it up with other offers. Tell me what you think below regarding this....

I think this idea is great. It would've improved my beginner experience by a great deal. I discovered the forums when I was capped LOL...Google searched something about Pl and the link took me to forums and I created an account :)

Late
03-28-2012, 08:09 PM
we were there one day

Appleisaac
03-28-2012, 11:18 PM
as for your opinions toward "protecting newbies in pvp" and tri-speccing I think that its all part of the experience and that it wouldn't be right to say "your a bear you have to be pure str" because any class can have any stats hence the option to modify it at will and in any form you want. also if you "protect newbies" from pvp what if they want to pvp? isn't it their right as a player? pvp exists at level 1-29 so Why shudnt any player be able to access it until they have atleast 1 lvl 30? I completely disagree with 90% of this guide,but don't pay attention to me...as these are only my opinions towards your opinions and the fact that 99% of pol agree with u...
:-/ it would SUGEST ways to spec your character... Everyone knows there is no effective way to tri spec so why would you be against the tutorial reccomending a dual/pure/hybrid build? O.o as for pvp, it's no fun to be rushed by over powered toons for no reason ^_^ :-/ I know this because of my past experiences and my experiences in low lv pvp with noobs who join my games...

Swampy
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure when you create an account you have 10 platinum automatically. At least I did for some reason when I created an alternate account. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Skeletonlord
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
The only problem is that new players won't know what platinum is. They would register an account, log back into game, and get the message: "5 platinum has been added to your account", and then they will say "What do I do with platinum? How do I use it? Where do I use it?"

@swampy. I don't know, I could test this theory for you. I made a in game account, then someone told me of te forums. Trust me, new players need the forums, even if they don't have an account. The forums is like the best place for infomation. No player can last without the forums.

Sryyoulose
03-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I agree with all this, we need a way to stop farmers. And when I first joined pvp I was rushed, I didn't care I stayed dead and just talked =D

Appleisaac
03-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Pretty sure you do NOT get 10 platnum on a new account.

Rare
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I agree with most you are saying... however...

or play their class correctly.

I don't think the tutorial can teach you this. Its only learned through play

Second, many low lvs have no idea which stats to pump their attribute points into.

This is very true. There should at least be some description on what the stats actually affect. I think I was around lvl 45 before I understood. And it was only from experimentation and reading what other players posted on the board. Even NOW it is absolutely not clear in the game. Even to end game players. I assume most players do not visit this forum so they would have no idea.

lock pvp for all accounts until a character on that account reaches lv 30.

Unfortunately, this would only delay the inevitable. I've seen MANY level 65s that are still noobs.

Rare
03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Pretty sure you do NOT get 10 platnum on a new account.

Edit: What I said was obviously incorrect because the main spine wasn't free at that time. Now I can't remember if there was free plat or not. For some reason, I thought there was. But after looking at my purchase history, I purchased platinum just before buying Balefort Castle Access for 4 plat. Those were the first entries for me.