PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Stat-less Armor

Vhigdo
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
This was news awhile ago but since there ain't much going on I'll share some opinion. According to an old article by touchgen (link here (http://www.touchgen.net/gdc-dark-legends-hands-on)) this was said in the case of armor in Dark Legends:

"Speaking of clothes, DL does away with any sort of armor stats, turning all the wearable drops in the game into vanity items. They want to focus more on character customization, rather than being forced to wear certain items for specific stat bonuses. Stat-based weapons and “shards” will instead come into play to buff your character’s abilities."

Does this disappoint anyone else besides me? Obviously what was said in the article could be true or could have already changed. But thinking about it.. one ofmy favorite parts of starting out any RPG is scrapping armor together for the bonus and in turn getting that raggedy warrior look going. Then once you work hard and get into late game you can get your style going with set items and vanities. With the way armor sounds in Dark Legends it's going to skip right to end game where you pick your look with vanities and use unseen shards to boost your stats. I think this will be an unorthodox move by Dark Legends (I know other games do this... just can't think of them atm).

When I think off MMO I think vanities, and when I think of RPG I think of stat based armor. And when I think of MMORPG I think of stat based armor with the addition of hard to get vanities in the later game. Anyways STS's changes of this with Dark Legends I'll just have to live with even though "I don't like change".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIrXKpv2gw

MrKrone
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Eh. Im half and half.

Getting rid of stats is something new to me, and actually sounds intresting to me. It has a possibility of meaning a much deeper and broader character customization, bringing pc mmo's to the mobile generation even more. Pc mmo's are FULL of customization, imo. Removing stats gives us a better chance to show those pc developers what we got, for the third time!

On the flip side, by using unseen shards to boost our stats, we can not look at another player, and size ourselves up to them. I do this a lot in PL, and it helps me know were i stand among the majority of other players around my level. If i see a few players with higher attack or armor than me, you better believe im turning off my exp, and farming till my attack or whatever is close to exact to theirs. This way, im always on top of my game for my level.

Vhigdo
03-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I love customization as well, but I fear that with stat-less armor a level 1 will have the opportunity to look like a level *insert max level here* or vice-versa. Hopefully STS applied this change in a way so that doesn't happen. Maybe required levels on the vanities... though that's the weirdest thing I've ever hear of haha ... If weapons are the only thing that shows a person's level I find that pretty hard to get past.

Commanderkeen
03-30-2012, 12:23 AM
I really have no opinion atm really can't judge a game till you try it. Judging passment on something just because you read it from a artical. Play the game first then post your opinion.

Elyseon
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Better than all endgamers looking like clones imo

*Zero*
03-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Actually the skill trees should make up for the stats there will probably be buffs in the trees.

But this will actually make players LEARN to play their characters instead of mindlessly pushing buttons.

Remember SKILL>STATS.

Taipan
03-30-2012, 07:11 AM
I like it for a few reasons
1 There will be interesting ppl to see (all Commandos that PvP at L40 have custom Battleshell a nova and B* shield)
2 There won't be the expensive high stat gear, that makes you terrible in PvP if you don't have.
3 It will be only skills which will be interesting IMO

Elyseon
03-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Im assuming the weapons and shards will be highly customizeable, allowing many different stat builds, like you will equip 5 shards being the equivalent of 5 different gear slots in PL or SL

ArtStar
03-30-2012, 07:49 AM
You are picking at everything STS is trying to accomplish with Dark Legends my dude.
The whole point is to be different and have full character customization, that so many beg and complain for.
Dark Legends is not suppose to be like SL or PL.
It is suppose to be like Dark legends :-)
What it sounds like to me to my knowledge,
Is that this kinda thing is pretty unheard of so it could be good or bad.
From everything we have seen though, DL looks exciting.

Kaytar
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
In my opinion, I like the direction they are taking dark legends. Hopefully not one person looks like another when it launches. Like the video, made me giggle

ArtStar
03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
In my opinion, I like the direction they are taking dark legends. Hopefully not one person looks like another when it launches. Like the video, made me giggle

Of course not everyone is going to like it, that is a given.

StompArtist
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
I like change.

What's the point of making new games that work exactly like the old games?

Aculeas
03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
It just means that you are going to have to be one vicous blood sucking eviscerating vampyr demon!

Vhigdo
03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm back, and I'm here to say my OP was just explicitly my opinion on stat-less armor in a game is to me. Pretty much every MMORPG I have played has stats on the armor... does that make them all the same boring game... no? It just means from my experience that it is a system that works, and as such most games have adopted it. On the flip side does having stat-less armor necessarily it's a bad game, it's all opinion and goes either way. Now sure I can wait until Dark Legends to release to judge how it will work out... but I ask how's that going to build up any of my anticipation to the game when this whole week there hasn't been any more news on the game? I'm just trying to pass some time here and start a simple thread :) (simply if there was new news out I wouldn't have thought about the old news and in turn thought about how stat-less armor may bother me... also in turn I probably wouldn't even be in the forum right now if STS didn't say DL would be out in the first quarter of 2012 but here I am waiting and biding time)

Now I hear many saying "you can't judge a game until it's out", did I say Dark Legends was going to be a bad game, I didn't mean to in any way judge the game itself... my goal was to just judge the mechanic, and then ponder how STS may fit it into the game. Opinion is opinion people don't hate it.

Also my main reason for liking stats on armor is it makes the most sense realistically to me. Someone with better armor is obviously going to be stronger that someone without. Not someone running around naked with a hat on their head having more hp than someone with a full metal suit of some sort because they have shards. In another take everyone looking somewhat similar in the beginning and then earning the right to look different in the end builds into more realism of trying to make a name for yourself building from scratch.