PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of PvP --> A Short Summary

XghostzX
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey PL PvP community!It has come to my attention (as as it has for many months now too) that there are several complaints and in game "complainers" about the term, "rushing". For however long this thread lasts, hopefully it gives players some insightful information on the true PvP that PL once used to be.

Table of Contents: **Make sure to answer the questions at the bottom of the thread as a response in your post!**

I.) The term, "Rushing"
II.) Early Stages of PvP
III.) Evolution of Players
IV.) Rushing Taking It's Place
V.) The Art of Rushing

I. Rushing
I'll try to put the word "Rushing" in its best possible explanation. The term "rushing" or "rusher" is supposedly used to accuse players who don't play PvP the "correct" way and are normally considered disrespectful. A rusher is one PvPer who joins a game and instantly kills players without them noticing. Typically, a disrespectful rusher will rush in and leave during a fight before being killed. This way, they still get a death but continue to have the satisfaction of their target of not getting a kill (therefore they may complain, and that may only encourage a disrespectful rusher to keep going at you.) A "respectful rusher" will gladly take a death right in the match. A normal player might say that rushers ruin the PvP society; this may be the essential question. Do rushers ruin the game? Can they be helpful? Let us read on.

II. Early Stages of PvP

It was an early time of Pocket Legends, where client update 1.2 was in place. Please, sit back, relax, and enjoy one of spacetime's earliest films!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2L7qIcG9s

Hopefully you have taken the time to carefully watch this video. Notice how players are doing FFA (free for all).

'Tis once a player who lived by the all mighty name of Thelonearcher. Many of you old players may remember him, as he was considered a legend of the generation of PvP. The first Dex bird to have the most PvP kills on the leader boards! (Yep, even past you, Kanital :D)

Let's take a look at some of the "Pro" PvPers and what they have to say:
8334 Rushorgtfo- "Thelonearcher was the best PvPer"

8335 Imperialelf- "Thelonearcher was a brilliant PvP player!!!!"

8336<--(Haha) Kanital- "The Lonearcher is my Idol"

Clearly these current 'Pro' Pvpers know what they are talking about, so let's just take their word on it! A dex bird named, Thelonearcher, companioned by an enchantress with the name of, Ladylove, as well as another enchantress by the name of, Residentevl. The three little pro pvpers set out a destiny to become the best PvPers as soon as the update came along.

The style that has been brought to Pocket Legends Early Years of PvP was known as "FFA" and there were absolutely no rules to this style. You simply came in to PvP, were ready to fight, and you were at it!

III. The Evolution of Players
How many of you players out there once had a friend on Pocket Legends, but then logged on another day to never seem them again? I'm sure this happens to us all, as this is the common proccess in how PvP generations occur. It's that awkward time, about 3 weeks before a new campaign is coming... and the whole community becomes bored, desperate :blue: for a new update.

However! One of the main reasons for a generation lost and allowing a huge opening for newcomers in PvP is because of the almighty GCD (at the time, GCD was considered the PL 'plague' but it's perfectly fine now.)

What is GCD? GCD stands for global cool down. Back in the old FFA PvP, there was no cool down on the buttons. If you had fast fingers, PvP was the place for you. When GCD was implemented (around at the level 50 cap) players thought that the 'talent' they had would never be the same. This, thus, resulted in a massive loss of players. A lot of players changed their names to protest against the GCD. You may see some of the those players lurking around every now and then such as Freeusfromgcd or ihategcd. Talk about oldies!

What happened to Players, such as Thelonearcher?

Well ladies and gents, players move on from the game as new ones come in. I'll give you a little help on this.

Some of the first PvPers --> Lonearcher, ladylove, residentevl; Late 45's and Early start of Level 50 --> Readtitle, Mysticaldream, ellyidol; The 55's --> Skimmey, Xrax, hmmhmm; The 60-66's --> Kanital, Imkelly, Absoluteboss, etc.This was simply an example of how the evolution process goes. Players come and players go. Evolution.

IV. Rushing Takes Place

How did this 1 vs. 1 and rushing take place? Well honestly guys, about 15% of this community from the beginning truly knows that 1v1 and rushing were never really the PvP style. So, how did Rushing come to place?

As I've mentioned above, when new players come in and old players go, the new players have to take charge. They'll create a PvP game, followed by several more players joining, then the host will declare it's 1v1. This idea spread out like a disease, becoming the new "social path" in PvP style and form, and mostly respect. New generations of players will bring in new ideas, and the 1v1 style we're currently is still with us, and has been with us several months ago.

V. The Art of Rushing

Let me show you what rushing is in a visual form. Rushing is known for its accusing and famous "rushing and noob" lines!

Scenarios: Here, we have myself walking into to PvP games. I'm level 66, all mighty and powerful! My ice blast staff and rainbow robe will kill everyone!

Scenario 1: I join a game by the name, Conradin. I see him, and go for the kill! Here are the results after I try rushing.

8338 Conradin- "You Rushing Noob" after my unsuccessful attempt to rush him.

Scenario 2: I join a forest fight game by the host name of, AngelDawn. I see her, and decide to kill her without her knowing! Let's see the results.

8339AngelDawn- "Stupid Rusher!" after my failing attempt at rushing.

Scenario 3: I go at it one more time, and see the name, Shiloo. I went in for the rush!
8340Shiloo- "I hate Rushers" after my last unsuccessful attempt at rushing.

As you can see, players (of course not shiloo, angeldawn, and conradin) can use vulgar insults in the gaming world when it comes to PvP. The question yet to be answered... is rushing really bad? Are players having their own fun?

Some Essential Question that are yet to be answered: (Feel free to copy and paste the question and answer them in a post!)

-Is Rushing Bad? Is it Good?

- Should we have kept the old PvP style?

-Are new generations of players coming in classy? Or possibly drowsy?

-Is it right to call someone a "rusher" or a "noob" if they are the rusher?

-How can players start respecting each other more through PvP?

-What comes first: Respecting players in game, or having your own fun in PvP? Maybe a mix of both?

-How might PvP evolve in the future?

Feel free to come up with more questions!

Well guys, there ya have it! Hope you've enjoyed the comedic thread about how PvP has evolved; hopefully you guys have a better understanding!

Special Thanks To:
Kanital
ImperialElf
Rushorgtfo
Angeldawn
Conradin
Shiloo

Gaunab
04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
*remembering times when 'rushing' was a PvE term*

Conradin
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
*remembering times when 'rushing' was a PvE term*

I remwmber rushing ao2 4 on my bear back im the day. Wasnt easy work and the whole team could get wiped. Was worth it for those shock lances tho.

lilgangster
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Man i remember when there was no such thing as "rushing" in pvp, lol bak when a snowball launcher would go for 30k at the most XD.

yokoman
04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
rushing is perfect, cmon guys this is not a tea party as someone else said in other thread

Noodleleg
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Good thread, Will. Much applause :-D

plmafiaboss
04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
It says
Cosmic ghost told me to say...
:3

Conradin
04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
The whole "say go" "go" thong origionated in 19 pvp because if you rushed people they would just lwave and not get a death.

Cake
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I was too lazy to read any of it so that must mean you did a good job, thumbs up for you

Sryyoulose
04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
As always the hardcore FFA back in the day was the best. The evolved FFA is better, where if ts 2v3 one will sit and make it 2v2 until another joins. I like FFA I like these so called: "Rushers" And I BELEIVE there is a place for 1v1... The 1v1 map. However, I think we should get a 3v3 1v1 map aswell.

MickeyMouse
04-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Fantastic! how bout' you add little bit info on twinks? :) twinks are essential for evolution of pvp

XghostzX
04-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Hey guys! Umm, not quite sure on twinking since I started twinking a lot later than most of you. Perhaps if Zerious or some other old twink could help me out on this one? Thanks for the feedback btw guys :)

@pimifia- yeah, that was supposed to be a little joke :)

Imsebastiaanl
04-03-2012, 07:25 AM
rushing is perfect, cmon guys this is not a tea party as someone else said in other thread
Cosmic said...

@cosmic kanital said: cosmic asked me to say...
Is it an accident or? And it isnt shor lol. Gj and nice video! Lol

Ixillicus
04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
-Is Rushing Bad?
No. Rushing is fun. It's fun to rush people, it's fun to be rushed. I get bored when I join a map and everyone is talking and no one will fight.

- Should we have kept the old PvP style?
Honestly, I would be OK if both existed, but PVP has a fairly sharp learning curve and it's quite challenging to learn in-depth during a FFA match against people who are quite good. One vs one is a good way to learn the mechanics to improve understanding of range and combos. We used to call that "practicing" but now its kinda become the way of PVP, which can be so Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

-Are new generations of players coming in classy? Or possibly Drowsy?
It's always a mix. Certainly new generations will never topple the leaderboards for kills in this one v one style.

-Is it right to call someone a "rusher" or a "noob" if they are the rusher?
Rusher is fine, I mean its not really an insult. Noob is probably a bit harsh.

-Do players have a right to there own fun?
Yes. Isn't that why we all play?

-What comes first: Respecting players in game, or having your own fun in PvP? Maybe a mix of both?
I don't like to think that rushing is disrespectful. Trash talking and name calling is disrespectful. Playing the game by FFA/rushing or 1v1 standards is just playing the game.

-How might PvP evolve in the future?
I have had some luck asking players to "continuous" 1v1 so we don't wait for buffs or reset, its like "I best bird" for those familiar. Its fun and gives the FFA feel without involving other players who aren't interested.

I just find the slow pace of 1v1 boring. Maybe it will evolve, but I think it would take a lot of time, because the new gen of players certainly likes their 1v1.

Zerious
04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Finally, someone has posted a thread that mirrors my views on pvp exactly!

FFA all the way. Sort out conflicts with 1v1s, and remember to respect other players

-_-Legiito
04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I personally dont like calling fights. BRING BACK THE OLD PVP! A more simple time where ppl would rush u and u wouldnt care. Rush em back. that way is actually a more fun and fair fight and by that I mean that a person with the best gear gets teamed on by 2 others with not so good gear. Calling fights took me out of pvp. Pvp should go old skool. More fun dat way.

Zerious
04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I personally dont like calling fights. BRING BACK THE OLD PVP! A more simple time where ppl would rush u and u wouldnt care. Rush em back. that way is actually a more fun and fair fight and by that I mean that a person with the best gear gets teamed on by 2 others with not so good gear. Calling fights took me out of pvp. Pvp should go old skool. More fun dat way.

and bring back intbears! darkbolt mayhem!!

Apostel
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Good summary.
Of course, it's good to talk about the past and share experience, but more important is the future and what we will do then.
It comes faster then you think. In some cases future already entered PvP (PL).

Jewelsofjane
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
A good person to share about the history of twinking would be barbmitous/mrs.bananas as I believe he started it in pl. also, mystical, I think, was really involved with it.

XghostzX
04-03-2012, 03:33 PM
A good person to share about the history of twinking would be barbmitous/mrs.bananas as I believe he started it in pl. also, mystical, I think, was really involved with it.

Ah ok cool, I'll definitely ask them. Thanks for feedback once again guys, also when Kanital said "cosmic ghost told me to say..." it was intended.

Swords
04-03-2012, 03:51 PM
One thing tho. When going in for the so called "rush" the victim cold call out his friends or guildies to pile on u in 3 v1 and anywhere u go u get hunted down and get killed. I do agree the old generation of pvp is way better and not having to wait and kill. Thats how players get their kills fast instead of saying Go.

Buster
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Hmm 2nd pic of the "complments" rushorgtfo says "need me to say anything else?" Kentail says "cosmicxghost told me to say"

Walkhardd
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Hmm 2nd pic of the "complments" rushorgtfo says "need me to say anything else?" Kentail says "cosmicxghost told me to say"

-_____-

MrKrone
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Personally, i love pvp. I like the challenge of surviving a barrage of attacks from other players instead of scripted NPCs. But, i cant stand 1v1. I want teams, strategy, skill, and sportsmanship. But with the current community of 'anti-rushers', i cant EVER find a match for ffa. Thus, i have stayed out of pvp.

Swimmingstar
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Totally agree, would be fun if people stopped saying "cry, noob, run, etc."

Walkhardd
04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I know there's some cons to this idea, but what if pvp was only team chat?

Gaunab
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I know there's some cons to this idea, but what if pvp was only team chat?

+1337

FFA all the way.

Overkillzzz
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
The whole "say go" "go" thong origionated in 19 pvp because if you rushed people they would just lwave and not get a death.

When they leave during the fight, they still get a death, they only do that so that they get a death but they don't get a kill

XghostzX
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
When they leave during the fight, they still get a death, they only do that so that they get a death but they don't get a kill

I'll add in when rushers leave before fighting, they do that for the satisfaction of you not getting a kill. Leaving during a fight should cost someone at least 2 or 3 deaths.

Phoenixking
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Lol this reminds me when I was in the olde school pvping and then I stopped pvping for a good time, and decided to try it again, a friend teached me and so I attacked him no calling and told me about the 'rules' and I was like wth....

I do sorta miss the old style but I got used to the new style do either way it's fine

I don't rushing is bad, just when they kill and leave, since that is just kill boosting and is totally unfair, But sometimes I don't like getting rushed at times though since I could be away from keyboard/device, or distracted >.<

XghostzX
04-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Lol this reminds me when I was in the olde school pvping and then I stopped pvping for a good time, and decided to try it again, a friend teached me and so I attacked him no calling and told me about the 'rules' and I was like wth....

I do sorta miss the old style but I got used to the new style do either way it's fine

I don't rushing is bad, just when they kill and leave, since that is just kill boosting and is totally unfair, But sometimes I don't like getting rushed at times though since I could be away from keyboard/device, or distracted >.<

Not sure that FFA style will ever come back heh. Hopefully it might :/

Zerious
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM

You used to be able to drop out of fights without getting a death back then. That's how people got on the pvp kdr leaderboards. I was one of them lol. lvl 15 Snowball elves wrecked before bears' rage got their damage buff

Kanitall
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Great job will:)

Barbamitsos
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
You didn mention me XD

joking :P nice thread

XghostzX
04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
You didn mention me XD

joking :P nice thread

Haha I would've! I don't talk you anymore bro!

Barbamitsos
04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Haha I would've! I don't talk you anymore bro!

i see u with Pleasemenow almost everyday XD

XghostzX
04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
i see u with Pleasemenow almost everyday XD

Well yeah, not much to do before a new update comes since I sell all my gear :/ too bad you don't end game much.

Barbamitsos
04-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Well yeah, not much to do before a new update comes since I sell all my gear :/ too bad you don't end game much.

Endgame does not attract me for multiple reasons...

Vuvuzaylor
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Good to read about the History of PVP!

What about Bears: Fabiokmd? Was one of the best, is in the leaderboard and wasn't online for ages... Players come and go...
You should mention. that a lot of players finished with the PvP'ing after the GCD (Global Cool Down)
That was the biggest change ever happened on pvp!

Vuvu

Advicatus
06-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Well if you're in 15-17 pvp you probably know that I FFA on most, but people say "omaigawd I luv FFA, go old pvp!" but that's not the case. My ignore list is 32 pages long cause people don't quite like being ffa'd on.

XghostzX
06-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Good to read about the History of PVP!

What about Bears: Fabiokmd? Was one of the best, is in the leaderboard and wasn't online for ages... Players come and go...
You should mention. that a lot of players finished with the PvP'ing after the GCD (Global Cool Down)
That was the biggest change ever happened on pvp!

Vuvu

Don't get me wrong, I thought that fabio was an awesome PvPer!

But you're for sure right on that one, I'll ad it in.

PL_Keaton96
06-04-2012, 10:03 AM
-Is Rushing Bad? Is it Good? It is good if you're the one doing it, as many people see it.

- Should we have kept the old PvP style? Yes, i beleive the old style was and will always be the best

-Are new generations of players coming in classy? Or possibly Drowsy? Many new Pvp players are coming in classy as i see it.

-Is it right to call someone a "rusher" or a "noob" if they are the rusher? Nah, i understand people like their kdr and all to look good but kdr is nothing now that everyone boosts. No need to cry over spilled milk if you get my point.

-How can players start respecting each other more through PvP? By making pvp ffa again, not able to talk to other players on the opposing team, etc.

-What comes first: Respecting players in game, or having your own fun in PvP? Maybe a mix of both? i'd say a mix of both, people want respect unless they feel that you're dominant over them. This is an example: Themightyorge or something like that (shootmybumjr) was going to call me stupid and all this crap acting big with his chest out. I rush him through like 3 matches, he figures out he can't beat me while still calling me names. He whispers me and asks me to stop. I told him to say out loud and drop his pride and he refused. Therefor, i rush him all the time.

-How might PvP evolve in the future? Maybe sts will make it ffa again, but maybe not. I really hope that they would though.

AbsolutePally
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I feel blessed and lucky to have experienced pvp from several generations back. Seeing ladylove and hahahabirdy kick butt then trying to beat.them yet failing made me want to get better. And yes the style then was fast paced and without mercy, enter at your own risk.
1/1 was a locked game to settle a score or dispute. People would flock in to watch the outcome of a 1/1 to ten. When you lost it was done, no hard feelings. Or 1/1 was to practice. My closest friends and I spent countless hours fighting eachother and discussing pvp strats and styles, mainly of other people. We had to know how another player fought and tried to imitate their play style to improve.
I defiantly don't mind ffa so long as you aren't teaming 3/1. 3/2 is acceptable only if agreed upon by the short party. I'll fight side by side w a Rev member or another old friend 3/2. We enjoy the challenge.
GCD gave pvp more depth, more strat. More builds combos and styles could be investigated. Where as before GCD it was pure attack speed and dmg. Therefore birds had the major advantage in most cases. NTM multi, a cheap cheat some confused w possessing skill. It really sold out people, mainly birds that used.this yet.claimed to be "legit" w shame and dishonor they quit.

Swimmingstar
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I feel blessed and lucky to have experienced pvp from several generations back. Seeing ladylove and hahahabirdy kick butt then trying to beat.them yet failing made me want to get better. And yes the style then was fast paced and without mercy, enter at your own risk.
1/1 was a locked game to settle a score or dispute. People would flock in to watch the outcome of a 1/1 to ten. When you lost it was done, no hard feelings. Or 1/1 was to practice. My closest friends and I spent countless hours fighting eachother and discussing pvp strats and styles, mainly of other people. We had to know how another player fought and tried to imitate their play style to improve.
I defiantly don't mind ffa so long as you aren't teaming 3/1. 3/2 is acceptable only if agreed upon by the short party. I'll fight side by side w a Rev member or another old friend 3/2. We enjoy the challenge.
GCD gave pvp more depth, more strat. More builds combos and styles could be investigated. Where as before GCD it was pure attack speed and dmg. Therefore birds had the major advantage in most cases. NTM multi, a cheap cheat some confused w possessing skill. It really sold out people, mainly birds that used.this yet.claimed to be "legit" w shame and dishonor they quit.
If we could bring PvP back to FFA...

AbsolutePally
06-04-2012, 02:15 PM
If we could bring PvP back to FFA...

My intent with the ffa tournie I hosted was to raise awareness of ffa, reintroducing the lure of it back into the community. There will be more.

XghostzX
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM

I completely agree with you, I think that GCD gave PvP more depth. At the same time however, I believe that GCD is also a large reason for why 1v1 came in to action. 1.) The FFA players that were not used to GCD might have had trouble with the new system, and since they must've been very competitive, resulting in frustration and quitting. 2.) When a new system comes, it's all about testing, practicing, making sure everything is perfect. These are two huge factors.

13lacklegionz
06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I laughed at Kanital's quote.

Whirlzap
06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Massive Alien Underground FFA died after Sewers.

Full of derpy 1v1s now.

Kixxler
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Let's go back in time and kill the guy who invented 1v1.

Kanitall
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I laughed at Kanital's quote.

C(:

XghostzX
06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
C(:

Aw look at the nun stalking the thread! haha

Vuvuzaylor
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah Ty, I played PvP before GDC...
Result: 10k kills,8.5k deaths...
After That My PL 'robbed' my speed finger skill...Now The one on ones Always Look the Same with all those lv66 vanity Players...Kind of sad that the bonuses are focused and overpowered on that...

XghostzX
06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah Ty, I played PvP before GDC...
Result: 10k kills,8.5k deaths...
After That My PL 'robbed' my speed finger skill...Now The one on ones Always Look the Same with all those lv66 vanity Players...Kind of sad that the bonuses are focused and overpowered on that...

But any player that is smart strategically can beat a full set with all 3 vanities :)

Ladylove
06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
This is one of the reasons I quit this game. The golden age was over and the game was ruled by a leaderboard. Before leaderboards, kills and deaths didn't matter, aside from what made your team win. No one left games to help their kdr because there was no such thing. Sure, I was happy to see my name on top with Residentvl as top bear and Thelonearcher as top bird. The reason we got up there? We always played together and had FUN. They were two of my main men. Of course I'd have been nowhere without Mrsbanana, who molded me like a little ball of clay when he saw me walk into pvp without a clue. Back then that was a huge favor, as he was already well known and players were so incredibly secretive about their builds and strategies. Of course, after leaderboards, pvp crumbled down to locked games for boosting kills. Have a close friend stand without gear and act as a punching bag as you climbed your way to the top. Before leaders, there was no "go". Admittedly, I molded to new changes, but then I quit for a year. After playing another game, I log in on occasion with my less than mediocre set of gear that I saved and I am scolded every time by some random players I have never heard of, just standing around. All I have to say to them is that they whine entirely too much. Call me noob if you want, I already had my time.

Fightax
06-08-2012, 03:08 AM
I wish BOTH Existed.

Yich
06-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Why would any person thinking logically not try to set their opponent up to fail? If we can use barrels in an ffa, we can use the magical "/boot <name>" power too. When this happens people tell everyone about the players who do this. Eventually you get a hated group of players. No matter what you try, you will always have more sides then red and blue. Good game.