PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play?

n00b13st
04-07-2012, 07:24 PM
As I was waking up today a question occurred to me: what makes the STS games enjoyable to you, why do you play? After a minute of thinking about it I wondered further - what is everyone else's answer to that question?

For me I think it is these things, not necessarily in any particular order:

some of the graphics are fun - costumes, gear, enemies, areas, cut scenes.
it's very gratifying to do a combo, better yet a mega combo, and see a room full of baddies get flattened.
I like the types of skills and effects from my favorite classes, enchantress/engineer. (It'd be nice to add in one of my favorites from the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance series - slow time.)
On the rare occasions when we hook up with a sharp team and rock through bosses that my guild co-host and I can't beat alone, that teamwork is thrilling.

Maybe on a side note, what doesn't do much for me:

standing around in game chatting - even though you may see me standing there doing nothing for long stretches of time I'm actually just wasting my game time while talking with my wife usually. When I am actually engaged in the game, chatting is not why I'm there. (I've had great conversations at times but I can do that anywhere and talking in game means having to see some unfortunate behaviors that don't exactly generate happiness.)
mercantilism - I'm not criticizing the in game merchants for enjoying it, I just don't find it interesting for myself. I wish the result of their efforts wasn't prices so high I'll never be able to afford the most elite gear (and I am just not such a hard core player that I'll get it on my own) but I guess the "economy" works for the people who engage in it.
certain types of behaviors, not going into specific detail or naming names - it's unfortunate that some people seem to get gratification from being annoying, hurtful/hateful, offensive and scamming. That's just the way it is to some extent and from what I've seen STS does eventually take care of the worst offenders. Given the ratio of players to STS staff I don't know how much more they could possibly do. There is also a segment of the community that frowns on these behaviors and says so publicly, politely and calmly (which I haven't always done) - I commend them.

Edit: My guild co-host suggested this question could be a good one for the twitter contest. What do you think?

Artentreri
04-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't.

Ardon
04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I stopped playing SL after it got bland for me. I only stalk forums and wait for DL and see if I'll like that

Sent from my CM9 powered Droid X

KingFu
04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
For me, only things that did keep me playing were twinks, pvp and friends.

n00b13st
04-08-2012, 05:08 AM
I don't.

Then why bother with forums?

I stopped playing SL after it got bland for me. I only stalk forums and wait for DL and see if I'll like that

Along the lines of the above - why bother with forums for a game you don't play?

Could you maybe give more context? What about twinks and pvp brought you back? And how did friends bring you back here rather than a purely social site?

OvigorothO
04-08-2012, 06:41 AM

I pvp with strangers

Xionskull
04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
As I was waking up today a question occurred to me: what makes the STS games enjoyable to you, why do you play? After a minute of thinking about it I wondered further - what is everyone else's answer to that question?

For me I think it is these things, not necessarily in any particular order:

some of the graphics are fun - costumes, gear, enemies, areas, cut scenes.
it's very gratifying to do a combo, better yet a mega combo, and see a room full of baddies get flattened.
I like the types of skills and effects from my favorite classes, enchantress/engineer. (It'd be nice to add in one of my favorites from the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance series - slow time.)
On the rare occasions when we hook up with a sharp team and rock through bosses that my guild co-host and I can't beat alone, that teamwork is thrilling.

Maybe on a side note, what doesn't do much for me:

standing around in game chatting - even though you may see me standing there doing nothing for long stretches of time I'm actually just wasting my game time while talking with my wife usually. When I am actually engaged in the game, chatting is not why I'm there. (I've had great conversations at times but I can do that anywhere and talking in game means having to see some unfortunate behaviors that don't exactly generate happiness.)
mercantilism - I'm not criticizing the in game merchants for enjoying it, I just don't find it interesting for myself. I wish the result of their efforts wasn't prices so high I'll never be able to afford the most elite gear (and I am just not such a hard core player that I'll get it on my own) but I guess the "economy" works for the people who engage in it.
certain types of behaviors, not going into specific detail or naming names - it's unfortunate that some people seem to get gratification from being annoying, hurtful/hateful, offensive and scamming. That's just the way it is to some extent and from what I've seen STS does eventually take care of the worst offenders. Given the ratio of players to STS staff I don't know how much more they could possibly do. There is also a segment of the community that frowns on these behaviors and says so publicly, politely and calmly (which I haven't always done) - I commend them.

Edit: My guild co-host suggested this question could be a good one for the twitter contest. What do you think?

Preach it brother.

Ardon
04-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Along the lines of the above - why bother with forums for a game you don't play?

I did say that I'm here just to see how DL is coming along. And also to see if any thing good changes in SL

Artentreri
04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Because the forums is a (mostly) friendly community. The game got old, so I quit. What's so wrong with me sticking around and chatting with people who I (for the most part) like?

Deathpunch
04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Because the forums is a (mostly) friendly community. The game got old, so I quit. What's so wrong with me sticking around and chatting with people who I (for the most part) like?

Aww! You like us! (for the most part)

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Fao
04-08-2012, 01:57 PM
It's addicting, and the AMAZING Community!!!

DawnInfinity
04-08-2012, 01:59 PM

^ This.

I stopped playing awhile ago, but occasionally I will come back to see which direction the STS devs are going and how the community has changed. The reason why I played for so long was, in contrast to the OP, for the friends I had made and to talk in game. I got bored of the monotony after awhile, though.

n00b13st
04-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Hey, that's cool - I was just wondering.

n00b13st
04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
^ This.

I stopped playing awhile ago, but occasionally I will come back to see which direction the STS devs are going and how the community has changed. The reason why I played for so long was, in contrast to the OP, for the friends I had made and to talk in game. I got bored of the monotony after awhile, though.

Makes sense. I took a while off due to some frustrations I won't go in to here, have been waiting for DL but decided to do a little PL this weekend for the double XP. I'd like to reach the level cap but I'm not going to give my life to it so putting in the time I can spare during an exceptional opportunity like the free double XP.

I'm pretty excited about DL, looks like it could be a nice change of scenery so to speak. I hope it is as different in reality as it looks from the teasers.

Artentreri
04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Aww! You like us! (for the most part)

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Some more than others. :p

Slapjack456
04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I play pl because it helps me calm down after a stressfull day, and i like talking to new people, just the other night i met someone from brazil, i was helping him lvl his alt. I just love spacetimestudios and most of the players that play the games. :)

KingFu
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Could you maybe give more context? What about twinks and pvp brought you back? And how did friends bring you back here rather than a purely social site?

Making twinks, and buying the gear and watching the collection grow lol. It's fun to make a twink, hunt down everything you need for it, and then try it out in pvp. Also, because you know the people already. I didn't miss the socializing, as I get that in real life, it was socializing with the people I met in the game.

Paramedic
04-12-2012, 05:39 AM
I love sts
I love meeting new ppl
I love playing mmo games