PDA

View Full Version : Official Dark Legends Feedback Thread - Actions and Energy Mechanic

Samhayne
04-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Dark Legends features an Energy mechanic and Actions that cost energy. After you have played Dark Legends, we would like to hear your input about the use of Energy and the many Actions you can perform in Dark Legends.

We ask that you please keep your feedback constructive, as per the Forum Rules at: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=vsarules

5. Non-Constructive posts are prohibited.

Below is a non-exhaustive list of examples of non-constructive posts. As a rule, non-constructive posting is not permitted:

Spam - this is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic or text or nonsensical posts that have no substance and are often designed to annoy other forum users.

Bumping posts in order to keep them near the top of the list is also prohibited. Likewise, the use of "/signed" posts are discouraged in that it doesn’t engender constructive discussion.

Do not create threads/posts to “petition” or “lobby” for game features, additions, changes, or other issues. You may post suggestions and/or ideas to the boards, but you may not create a ‘petition’ for others to sign. This is bumping in disguise and will not be allowed. Lobbying is continually bringing up the same topic repeatedly in numerous different threads or as an off-topic post in official threads to get developer attention. This form of posting is not permitted.

Cross posting - As a courtesy to others before beginning a new thread, please look to see if an active thread on that topic has already been established using the Search feature. If so, place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forum needlessly and many good ideas may be lost. Use the Search link to keep discussions about one topic to one thread only.

Negative feedback can be very useful, provided that it is presented in a civil, factual manner. Tell us what you don't like and why and how you feel it could be improved. Posts that are insulting and rude may be deleted, no matter how valid the ideas behind them may be.

A rant is a post which is long-winded, redundant and filled with angry, non-constructive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and helpful in the development of the game, but rants are disruptive and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise, clear manner and avoid going off on rambling tangents.

False obituary threads are considered highly improper, and knowingly posting false news of a player’s real-life death may result in a ban of both your forum account and your game account.

Threads that make threats or use other combative language are not allowed.

Thanks!

Rare
04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
About the energy, is there a way to play without it? Meaning, does every action you perform cost energy?

morfic
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Energy: The energy costs are too steep in my opinion. I like to grind constantly. This system only allows me to do a few passive quests before I run out. 6 energy to click a button and get XP? No fighting whatsoever? That's steep with a max of 25 energy. But I understand those missions are a one time thing, and I could spend my 25 energy just doing 3 energy multiplayer stages back to back. But still, the stages are so fast, thats not much grinding before I have to stop/sink RL dollas.

DerSchuetze
04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Well reminds me of cityville and farmville.. Basically the more money u pay the more u can play. Its for casual players, im guessing its a good miney maker but for me its boring. Dont like the entire concept. Other aspects of game are great, but eith energie its like klick on this button. Wait 5 min repeat. Basically, so many ways to abuse these kind if games.

brodiniozo
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I wish the "height" was locked when i unlock the "following camera"

Zapoke
04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I would gladly do with the energy thing.. Lol. :x

DexGOD
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
The energy implement is the biggest downfall. It broadly restricts game play - to me it should either be removed/less-restrictive unless the true intent admittedly is absolute pay-to-play where you continually refill it using the platinum currency bought with money.

StompArtist
04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
it's a good mix between farmville and real time MMOs I guess. Should appeal a lot to OCD folks, perhaps a bit less to folks with restricted gaming hours.

cuteguy
04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
For me all is ok, except for energie.

Dear sts please remove this one, to be honest we players will still purchase platunums, but with this energy implementation, i believe there will be few players,

More players means a possibility of more plat purchase, ayt, i support you guys

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

razerfingers
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
What was the reason for energy mechanic? I mean i disagree completely for a new game i run out of energy makes me wanna stop and go back to pl or sl where i can play all day and level all day

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Noelx
04-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Energy

morfic
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
can't say that I understand why energy was implemented either...

Seems like STS makes plenty of money on their current business model. This business model seems way over board. I can't play as much as I want... I can't do as much as I want. and everything is wave overpriced.

Meh. I absolutely love the game, but not sure how long I will be able to deal with the energy crap. I'm way too much of a binge gamer. Energy games restrain my binging and drive me crazy.

Samhayne
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
About the energy, is there a way to play without it? Meaning, does every action you perform cost energy?

Playing PvP does not cost energy.

Hanging out in the social spaces does not cost energy.

Pretty much everything else (actions and missions) does. Also, Energy is a item - you can get lucky and get more as drops from opponents and bosses!

Destinykil
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
seems like energy is the main concern. i completely agree. it limits the game so much.

octavos
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Pretty much everything else (actions and missions) does. Also, Energy is a item - you can get lucky and get more as drops from opponents and bosses!

what would be nice is to collect and use at a later date, but grinding is out the window here since all armors and such are vanity.
like send a friend energy to help them out like gifts.

Swampy
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Why when you buy plat you get LESS??? All the platinum amounts went down for the amount of real $$$!!!

Samhayne
04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Why when you buy plat you get LESS??? All the platinum amounts went down for the amount of real $$$!!!

Platinum is specific to each game. Dark Legends is a new game with different Platinum options. As a reminder, we're limited by Apple in that we cannot share Platinum across accounts by their terms of service.

XchilangopwnX
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
*disclaimer It is my sole opinion*
The energy idea seemed cool the first five minutes of game play. It was like a privilege to be able to go into a dungeon. Now I'm stuck on level 6 waiting for my energy to regenerate.

I have done some thinking and I figured that if you plan it out you can possibly avoid getting stuck by strategically spending energy in specific dungeons.

But this isn't what an average MMO is based upon. What one wants to do in an MMO is get on and grind endlessly (for those who can) to get maxed out or to obtain that legendary gear drop. What you may as well do is give players 100 plat per day and make each dungeon run cost like 2 plat. I feel that this energy concept was planned to make the game more story-like. Not all players (hardcore grinders) will enjoy this.

I already don't enjoy it because I feel it should be open access to a dungeon when I just want to jump in randomly and start hacking and slashing some zombies!

Just my .02

Edit: noticed I didn't suggest how to fix this.
Simply make it as PL and SL. Free access (no energy costs because to me it seems as elixirs in disguise and not all can afford elixirs) to dungeons. Free access to host a random map game.
Or make it so you can have a different map without the gain of xp or progress in story but can farm/grind kills and/or loot.

morfic
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Sam: Another problem with this whole energy mess. I waited and waited for my energy to replenish. Finally got 3 energy, and went into a mission. Then, as i am fighting my way through, my wife calls my phone. Just like in all STS games, when I get a phone call, it disconnects me from the game! So when I log back in, I lost my three energy, and I was no longer in the stage. This makes the annoying situation even more annoying. I waited for nothing, lost 3 energy for nothing, and got no experience for my loss.

Is there ANY way you guys can make phone calls NOT log you out of the game?? Or make it so that when you log back into the game, you will start in whatever dungeon you disconnected in?

MrKrone
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Deleting (or emptying) my posts critiquing dark legends.

Rare
04-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Sam: Another problem with this whole energy mess. I waited and waited for my energy to replenish. Finally got 3 energy, and went into a mission. Then, as i am fighting my way through, my wife calls my phone. Just like in all STS games, when I get a phone call, it disconnects me from the game! So when I log back in, I lost my three energy, and I was no longer in the stage. This makes the annoying situation even more annoying. I waited for nothing, lost 3 energy for nothing, and got no experience for my loss.

Is there ANY way you guys can make phone calls NOT log you out of the game?? Or make it so that when you log back into the game, you will start in whatever dungeon you disconnected in?

I think the phone call thing is more about your carrier than the game. I may be wrong. Verizon's CDMA network does not support data and voice at the same time (unlike ATT's UMTS). That all changed with LTE, so it really depends on the device you have.

Samhayne
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Hey Morfic,

Thanks for your feedback on the issue of a call or interruption on your phone leading to a logout from game. We're aware of the issue and looking at possible work-arounds. No guarantees that we will have a fix or when, but we wanted to let you know that we're aware of it.

StompArtist
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey Morfic,

Thanks for your feedback on the issue of a call or interruption on your phone leading to a logout from game. We're aware of the issue and looking at possible work-arounds. No guarantees that we will have a fix or when, but we wanted to let you know that we're aware of it.

Perhaps not loose the energy on a lag out?

Samhayne
04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Perhaps not loose the energy on a lag out?

I think that would be exploitable - play up till almost the end of a mission, then disconnect your phone, rinse, recycle and repeat...

Maynard
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
The bottom line is bucks. Why not just implement a monthly fee and drop the silliness in all 3 games?

morfic
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey Morfic,

Thank you Sam. Also, you could just change it so that if a character logs out inside of a mission/stage without killing the boss first... he logs back into that same dungeon next time.

Nice to hear you guys are working on it though.

Urqui
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
What was wrong with making your money just from elixers & items?

Defyduck
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh i hate waiting,cant grind,cant earn gold to buy expensive blood thingy to be alive

trixie
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I like the game so far. I have seen a few problems with the energy. One is like morfic said if I get a call then I dc and lose my energy. I would like to see something implemented where you could pause the game or something so that energy is not lost.

I prefer to play for hours when I play and with this new system I can'y seem to play for an hour before my energy is gone. This to me seems to break up the gameplay and I think I would eventually get bored of waiting for energy to refill.

I do like the game though so good job there :)

rkp71
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Not sure if parties are like in the other legends games yet, but if I joined multiplayer and lose energy then the party leader decides to kick me.... well I'd be irrate. I Don't normally host games so this might not be an issue in DL. On the other hand if one can't host games and kick people, having guild group Xp runs is not something you want to lose.

themars
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Well im happy with the energy system but it needs some changes first. I thought about:

* give us a faster energy / minute regen
* I dont like the fact you need to pay 6 energy for watching a short cutscene and only 3 for a real map u should make it 2 or something.
* maybe implement a energy reward if u win a pvp battle?
* maybe some very rare armor that increases your energy regen?
* droppable energy from mobs and bosses instead of only from cutscenes?

Thats all I can think about from now. Im sure this will Be great game cause its already.

Thx

lordJastafarr
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
i think i have an idea :/ maybe drop energy all together and make that into the cutscenes and the passive mission time so say 5 minutes then u can go collect ur rewards and while u wait u can go grind in a stage for a few i think that would honestly solve everything.

Kaytar
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey Sam,
I love the game! The only thing I don't like is this energy thing. But while waiting for energy, you can go to what I like to call "the mall" and shop for items and customize your character! Love Dark Legends
Here is a suggestion, make only missions require energy, not dungeons. This would be good because we could still level up and fight

grenadiers
04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Ummm...

StompArtist
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Energy is def a bit slow to refill or the cutscene missions are too expensive... Balance issues more than conceptual, in my opinion.

FluffNStuff
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Biggest issue I see is a social one. You have to make sure you have energy at the same time.

Raith-Dagger
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Sam,
I love the game! The only thing I don't like is this energy thing. But while waiting for energy, you can go to what I like to call "the mall" and shop for items and customize your character! Love Dark Legends
Here is a suggestion, make only missions require energy, not dungeons. This would be good because we could still level up and fight

I have to agree, this energy scheme reminds me to much of playing a Facebook game... :vmad:
And now that I'm lvl 6 missions are taking way to much energy in the next area...

ghost.mw
04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
The energy thing is pretty annoying, makes the game boring.

TheSnowman
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Well energy is definitely the most substantial change from previous games and (probably) the most controversial issue that Dark Legends brings about. Naturally being a avid fan of Pocket Legends I initially dislike the new energy mechanic due to its restrictive nature that it puts on the game compared to being free to do as I please in PL. However it's a new game and a new mechanic so I'm willing to be patient and give it a try, for it is going to take a few weeks or so for all the kinks to be worked out. So I still remain hopeful that if changes are made that I will look more favourably upon it.

Dartagnian
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Just a suggestion, totally blind cause if iOS not having, but (and dont kill me here) what if they made it so you could, for a reasonable plat or gold cost buy a regen rate increase for a lengthier period of time? Like elixers, but make a days worth if boosted energy regen purchasable. Maybe also increase the initial unbuffed rate so frustration isnt so high?

Just a suggestion. Figured STS would be mire apt to make a change that didnt impact what appears to be a new business model and retain us players who are semi-casual and the hard core folks out there.

Maybe make a little higher rate available for more plat for a shorter time or something. Increments.

Anyhow.

Dart

Edit: my thumbs are disturbingly huge. Sorry for all those 'i's that should be 'o's.

Lowlyspy
04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I enjoy the game when I can actually play. The energy running out so fast is a major setback for me though.

Maybe it could be made so energy is like a stat and we get a few points per level to put into it so we can make it so we have a higher energy cap.

Or like someone else suggested make some gear that boosts energy, that would suffice as well.

Otukura
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Adding to the I-hate-energy movement, everything I feel has been said. Luckily I can talk to friends without it :D

Carth
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
EDIT: I like Lady_Pebbles' suggestion. :D

Exion
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Well, I didn't realy mind the energy thingy until I stumbled upon the 1.5h waiting time..
I left, played a bit of SL, came back and played some more.
But then.. then I wanderd upon the 3h timer.
3 hours to wait till a mission expires? And the best thing is, I can't move on in the campaign until that timer hits 0.

I guess that my initial thought of not worrying to much about the energy system was wrong.

I'm guessing that the Times will even get worse with every lvl above mine so I'm gonna quit, I don't wanna annoy myself by clicking on a mission that'll cost me 10 energy and wich will take 4.5h to Finnish.

Lady_Pebbles
04-11-2012, 08:24 PM
I'll make this comment quick and the suggestions a list..

Feedback/Comment: Energy System sucks royally.

Suggestions:

1.Remove it completely or tweak it.

2. If you plan to tweak it then I suggest:

---A. Raise our energy by 12 per level.

---B. Add items that raise our energy. I.e. Equipment not just as a pot-like item or boss/mob drops of energy.

---C. Lower the time period needed for energy to regen. I.e. Instead of 5 minutes for 1 energy, how about 2 minutes for every 1 energy? 2 minutes is fair.. 3 minutes is annoying, 4 & more minutes is just ridiculous imo.

---D. Add mini-games in the form of quests so when we are waiting for our energy to regen, we can play some mini-games that could give us another type of currency in which we could trade in a certain amount for energy. Or something like that. This would keep us busy & we will have our energy maxed by the time we're done with them. Plus we can save the extra energy or add it to the bar making it go from 25 to 28/30 depending how much we get. Lets say.. 500 points would give us 3 energy. Not much but keeps us busy as our energy regens and we atempt to gain more. Maybe even allow us to save those extra ones for later too.

Side Note: I would like the time period for collecting on a quest we already finished to be lowered as well. One to three or more hours of a wait is ridiculously long.. Especially when all we do is initiate a cutscene and its automatically completed. What is the point of waiting that long? If its due to the fact that we can redo them then reduce the amount of exp & coins we get out of them after the first couple of times we do them.

Can't think of anything else atm... If I do I will post them. >__<

KillaSkillz
04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Not mentioned yet in this thread. A 2nd toon slot in DL costs 50 plat, in SL and PL it costs 5 plat.
Now, i reserved 2 names for DL at a cost of 20 plat each. I thought it safe to assume it would cost 5 plat again to get the second slot, i was wrong.

I now have 2nd name reserved that i cannot afford to buy the 2nd slot for currently. Maybe one day i can, who knows. If i had known it would be 10 times more I would only have reserved one.

There are ways but i doubt it will be the route chosen. I paid for a reserved name and thats what i got until it is freed up and taken away over time.

If it is unused and taken away, i have essentially been sold nothing, because my reservation has been cancelled. If the hold can be released and refunded, i don't think i have anything to complain about because i have neither gained nor lost anything.

Or, additional character slots could be made more affordable.

Hopefully i was clear, concise, and constructive. I'm really trying hard to not just be negative but it has left me a bad taste.

yaleps
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I am on the do not like the energy band wagon. It seems that maybe this game was really expensive to produce and space time is trying to make it as profitable as possible by over encouraging the use of plat? Without purchasing plat this game is nothing more than a typical facebook style game, the only thing that would make it worse would be banner adds. It has so much potential, its a shame to see its launch so poorly executed. PL is such a good game and after such a long wait I honestly expected so much more out of DL. The higher priced plat and the almost necessarily use of it just leaves a bad taste.

DerSchuetze
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Not mentioned yet in this thread. A 2nd toon slot in DL costs 50 plat, in SL and PL it costs 5 plat.
Now, i reserved 2 names for DL at a cost of 20 plat each. I thought it safe to assume it would cost 5 plat again to get the second slot, i was wrong.

I now have 2nd name reserved that i cannot afford to buy the 2nd slot for currently. Maybe one day i can, who knows. If i had known it would be 10 times more I would only have reserved one.

There are ways but i doubt it will be the route chosen. I paid for a reserved name and thats what i got until it is freed up and taken away over time.

If it is unused and taken away, i have essentially been sold nothing, because my reservation has been cancelled. If the hold can be released and refunded, i don't think i have anything to complain about because i have neither gained nor lost anything.

Hopefully i was clear, concise, and constructive. I'm really trying hard to not just be negative but it has left me a bad taste.

The system fooled you my friend ;)

MrKrone
04-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Shellkaz
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, I didn't realy mind the energy thingy until I stumbled upon the 1.5h waiting time..
I left, played a bit of SL, came back and played some more.
But then.. then I wanderd upon the 3h timer.
3 hours to wait till a mission expires? And the best thing is, I can't move on in the campaign until that timer hits 0.

I guess that my initial thought of not worrying to much about the energy system was wrong.

I'm guessing that the Times will even get worse with every lvl above mine so I'm gonna quit, I don't wanna annoy myself by clicking on a mission that'll cost me 10 energy and wich will take 4.5h to Finnish.

Ok I haven't come across the 1.5 hour timer or the 3 hour one, but, obviously it exists. And that alone will make me stop playing the game. I don't have the time or the inclination to wait that long to wait for a simple cutscene to complete its action. I enjoy running maps, practicing my skills, and trying to improve my game play.

Please don't suggest that I try PVP, I'm not interested in it and never really have been. I will have one of my guildies in pl explaine the mechanics and rules to me but I won't be participating.

How can I improve my game play if after an hour or two I'm out of energy? Basically, right now I feel like cinderella, all dressed up and ready for the ball but the coach is still a pumpkin.

Now, I can see the practicality of the energy mechanic from this viewpoint, it WILL slow down players trying to rush to level cap. And that in and of itself is not a bad thing in a new game with minimal levels. However, in the long run, I think that the energy mechanic (EM) will be a huge detractor to the game and will cause players like myself to stop playing. And lord knows that I've purchased plenty of plat in PL and I was prepared to do the same in DL.

I don't like the EM. As a guild master, I am frequently asked to help out guild members, or just to run with them. With an EM in place I am no longer able to help out guildies the way I like. Helping my guild out is one of the things that I love about being a high level/GM. With the EM in place it's going to be more like "/r sry can't help now out of energy"

Please rethink the EM as well as the wait time to complete the cut scenes, because if DL is planned to have as many levels as PL, and you already have wait times of 3 hours to complete a cutscene, I can foresee that in the not so distant future it could conceveably take a day or more to complete a single mission.

Either a faster energy per min E/M rate is needed, or scrapped entirely. I don't mind a brief wait, (15) min, for a cut scene to complete, but, at some point in time that particular mechanic is going to become cumbersome as well.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, but you guys have created 3 brilliant games. You think outside the box every day and you managed to get a middle aged woman into the world of mmo's, and more importantly you listen to the players. Please do so with this issue as well.

Spekticle
04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Dark legends looks and feels like a much more customizeable, 3d, social version of storm8's game "Vampires Live." Due to all of this, there is a major chance I will not return to dark legends.

Sorry for stealing your words there but It describes what I feel.

I really liked how the game looks and plays.

But I do like to grind it out in PL and get to high levels and play constantly. Instead of playing a few hours of Xbox, I played PL and grinded it out with some in game friends. Now with the new energy system I can't do that. I have to play use up my energy then play again. Its flawed system.

Here is what I think.

In PocketLegends the more casual players wouldn't buy that 3x xp potion things. How ever some of the more hardcore players would in the end game.

In DL the more casual player probably still won't buy that extra energy and just leave. How ever the more hardcore players will not become hardcore due to the fact that it takes money to level up to the end game.

And the fact that you can just outright buy xp is wrong.

Ardon
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah what i think about energy has been said already.
So ill juat say that this game was a huge disappointment because of energy. That and how everything is literally able to be bought with plat. Xp, skipping missions, etc.
Its like you want unknowledgeable players. A game that can be played without even playing is a game im not willing to be a part of

Sent from my CM9 powered Droid X

Deathpunch
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/6c54e168-4d03-9fda.jpg

Also, check your g+, STS, although I imagine you'll just toss out the same old bs canned response and report my comment to Google, no lock for you to use there like you do here. Still, I got to try.

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

ghost.mw
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Ok the energy slows you down but on the other side you have to say the positive thing about the game,I think the game is pretty neat and I love the solo system and buying vanity from the store for gold and the only reason that people hating the energy system because it slows them down but I think STS made it instead of the elixir, people used to spend their plat on elixir ,now they spend it on energy.

kiitz
04-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I think the best way to look at DL is that it is 100% a different game than PL and SL. I think we all expected DL to have the same mechanics as the previous 2 games. STS has basically made a facebook (mafia wars) type game. The ONLY difference is that they took a little of the PL action RPG part of it and stuck it into relatively inconsequential missions. You don't even need to kill anything to get your experience.

I saw a guy go in multiplayer, sit there at the start and after we killed everything, just ran to the exit portal and left. Its is almost like playing a facebook game that implements some like 2d frogger game. If you can get across the road, you get a little prize!! It breaks up the monotony of clicking a little "mission" and then sitting around and twiddling your fingers.

The "action" part where it plays like SL and PL is really cool with the graphics, tech tree, and charging abilities, but honestly it is inconsequential. You could play the whole game just by logging on every roughly 2-3 hours, clicking a bunch of those short cut scenes and then coming back later to collect the points and click more. Its just like a facebook game.

Unfortunately, based on how much time they put into it, I don't really see a good way to redesign DL. All the PL and SL fans like action RPGs, not this kind of... almost like text based RPGs with little cut scenes. But unless STS completely revamps (ha, vamps) DL, I think its will be basically like this. We expected Zelda and ended up getting a supped up Mafia Wars.

I think we are all even more dismayed because not only did we not get what we want, but its so clear that the entire thing is designed just to suck money from people who want to play, but do not want to wait for energy, or for a timer to tick down. Relying on the impatience of players to begrudgingly pay money so they don't have to wait so long is not the right direction to go.

The GOAL should be to make a fantastic game that people get hooked on, make friends, spend lots of time playing and then have no qualms of supporting the game through spending real money. Stick to action RPGs. These facebook games are a dime a dozen.

Maynard
04-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Let's just admit what it is. It's a way to encourage spending plat to remove built-in annoyances, blatant and transparent. No sense nipping around the edges. I will suggest a monthly fee one last time. All three games have taken on a 'Midway at the Fair' feel, complete with carnies haranguing us to 'try our luck'.

Claxtin
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I personally have no problem paying to customize my character, buy weapons, buy maps etc. However, i can't conceive on paying to actually continue playing the game. I know for sure if the energy bar is not removed (not tweaked because if didn't matter in the other games) I won't be playing it unfortunately. Especially when there's more mini movies than actual active game play. I know this is a new game and spacetime spent a lot of money in development (which is amazing by the way) but I kind of feel like the bridge is burning to recoup what was spent. I've only completed a map and a half and I'm already bored due to the energy cap, and I've played PL for nearly a year now and am still not bored. I know this is a completely different game there are also completely different options to spend money but the feeling of "having" to pay to play is a turn off. No I guess you don't HAVE to pay but what gamer really wants to wait an hour to play (or as mentioned FOUR hours), especially on their lunch break or other kind of free time. Do away with the energy crisis and I think you'll end up seeing a multitude of people enjoying themselves as this is a beautifully designed game with great potential.

Side note: I remember reading in a pocket legend forum somwhere people complaining about vanity hats. Ie. Last years version was more expensive than this year. Is that what's gonna happen to this game as far as the energy is concerned? If that's the case I may as well uninstall it now and bide my time because id rather have the option to play hardcore and buy my extras than buy my time and buying the extras. I'd sooner just buy the game as a whole than do that :-/

I'm not tryin to be a debby downer because it does look amazing but this for me is my really main problem with the game. The interface could change a bit too but I can get used to the new designs, just not the energy cap.

Suggestion : call me a hypocrite on this lol but this just came to mind. Vampires using energy? Why not have the energy linked into sucking blood. When energy is depleting you have to suck the blood from foes to regain it (because isn't this how vampires are in general). Consider sucking blood as the same as an elixer to pocket legends. The more foes drained the more energy regained. Do away with the TIME constraint and bring on more delicious need for play time gore!

Skabac
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I was so looking forward to this game and I think I would get into it if....
1. Throw the energy system out the window. Simple as that. I don't like waiting on timers or energy to regenerate so I can play the game.
2. Lower plat costs! The costs to buy packs of plat are way more then they have to be and the items are too much. Just for a vanity suit it costs 130 plat.

I really hope you can fix these things and we can enjoy the game :)

Thanks! -Skabac

saool
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I hate the energy system. It's annoying that I can't do much before I run out of it.

mrnofunz
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
just increase the energy cap and it would be better.:)

cuteguy
04-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Im thinking that removing energy will really messed up the game, as i think the game is circling on it. I thought dark legends game play will be like pl and sl. But as mentioned its totaly different. Im not requesting to remove energy thing, but how about a suggestion of having a monthly subscription to purchase vis plat to ignore energy limitation, that way, we can still play game on hardcore for a month. If you dont purchase the monthly subscription of unlimited energy. Well then wait till energy is full. What do you think guys?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Lowlyspy
04-12-2012, 01:10 AM

I do believe the term for that is a "bait and switch marketing strategy."

nazgulking
04-12-2012, 02:02 AM
This is the biggest downfall for DL.
Between cutscene waiting time and short playing missions I have already spent all my energy. If I want to go back into action I have to wait a huge time or either pay to refill the bar.
This game is not for me as it is now. In this time of economic crisis I have to really think where to invest money into - and this system that encourages plat spending just doesn't fit for me.
Many have expressed their opinion about the energy mechanics and I share the critics' views the most.
I'm sorry to say that I actually feel I shouldn't have paid to reserve my name for DL :(

ninjaduck
04-12-2012, 02:32 AM
First 15 minutes of logging on, it reminds me of Mafia Wars. I will not be investing in this game. :(

Defyduck
04-12-2012, 06:09 AM
You even think of wether to invite?They may not join because of energy system.We friends cant play togethor like that

MrKrone
04-12-2012, 06:29 AM

Moogerfooger
04-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Soz, hoss. Downloaded it, tried it for about an hour, and will be deleting. The Energy mechanic is so unplayable to someone like me (and many others) who like to play for long stretches, and who do not want to PvP or mill about town doing non-gameplay-related things.

Too bad, because there are some cool features that we have been asking for like, forever, in PL (and SL) that were never added.

Moogerfooger
04-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Guys, we need to be a little more appreciative of this game, even with its downfall(s) (energy). Sts has spent MANY hours and tons of money to produce, develop, and advertise this game. That's the reason plat prices are so high; they're recuperating for the amount of money gone into this. Even though they asked for our feedback, our answers are basicly a HUGE insult to spacetime. We sit here, as Sts spent all their time and money, and we simply beg and assault them for Sts to change the WHOLE game.

I realize I am not a fan of the energy, too, but more importantly I realize that the whole game revolves around energy. Your not asking to change the energy mechanic, your begging for a new game. A game that was realized yesterday.

If Sts does remove energy, you have to think of what else they need to remove/change. For instance, achievements sometimes give bonuses to energy. That would have to change. So would some mob drops, some boss drops, quest rewards. The point is, they CANT do anything about the energy crisis.
Not without spending more money and raising plat prices once again.

So we must be more supportive. In my origional post, I COMPLETELY dissed spacetime, and said id never play dark legends. I'm going to take all that back. I will keep playing dark legends, but only once a day. Maybe less. Spacetime, Sam, I apologize. We need to suck it up, and deal with what we don't like. Cursing at spacetime, vowing to never play again, quitting this place as a whole. It does not suffice, and will not be tolerated (least not by me.)

Sure, if you want to "tolerate" something, knock yourself out. A lot of players play games for stress relief, farming, or pure fun. I don't play games to "tolerate" features.

rkp71
04-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Do the developers and code masters get a percentage of the money from platinum buying? I really don't see how this energy system made it into the game or got past the beta testers or even the alpha testers. Woke up, played a whole 15 minutes out of energy... over a 2 hour wait to get full energy back. No, I'm not going to sit in game for two hours doing nothing. Never played pvp on PL or SL, it's just not my thing. The feedback seems overwhelmingly against this flawed energy system, Spacetime show us your listening.

MightyMicah
04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
After reading all the posts I must say one I agreed most with was Kiitz.

I'd also like to add something. Everyone likes freedom. Everyone likes being free to do as they choose. Especially adults who have finally gotten out of the house and started life. Life is in their own hands now, they are "free". The entire country of America was founded on the idea of freedom. "land of the free" (ring a bell?)

What the crap am I talking about? This game does not allow freedom. And most of the people playing it are adults from America. Hmm problem? Indeed.

Someone mentioned that it's no different than elixirs, this whole energy mess. That's not true. People are free to buy the elixirs at will to help "boost" their leveling rate. We are taught that elixirs will cause above average leveling, and that excites us. When we feel forced to purchase energy simply to level at a (in our minds) "normal rate" there is a problem. Suddenly we aren't excited anymore.

Samhayne, I really hope you listen to all these guys' comments. They are trying to be as nice/civil as possible, but if I'm not mistaken there is quite a bit of anger and frustration at this whole idea. Don't try and defend it. Everyone is on the same page here. Please consider the requests that have been posted. Appreciate it.

Thanks for reading my post all! Have a good day!

~MM

shanmarie33
04-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, I LOVE Dark Legends. It took some time getting used to, but I think its beautifully done.

I would love to see a few tweeks.
Remember the PL GCD? Well…I do. Implementing it really ruined gameplay for many, many, many players. I know you guys were tweaking the timing, but for me, it was still too hard to play. I completely quit playing for a few months. When I decided to check it out again, I was pleasantly surprised. You guys continued to adjust the gcd and made to sewers a little easier so I could actually play without dying constantly.

So, tweak DL a bit. Bump energy regen up a bit. Lower the plat cost to auto regen. I am certainly a lixaholic, I could see myself paying to restore energy on occasion at around 5 plat. 10 feels pricey for the time of gameplay you get, especially without DL having a 2k plat pack (wink wink).
And, I personally would love the addition of auto attack. Without it, gameplay is more engaging, but for someone like me, it is very difficult to play well without it. When I’m playing, its usually while watching Dora the explorer while kids are sitting on my head. There may be another area discussing this, but I didn’t see it, so please forum people, don’t comment on the location of my comments. I’m trying to squeeze this note in before My little pony is over and three 3 yrs olds demand cookies.

Exion
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
After encoutering the 3hour cutscene i wanted to quit but i thought.. I'll give it another shot.
So now I'm in the 4th campaign, and to advance it takes a whopping 6 min to spend all my energy.
That is for 3 cutscenes and 1 playable quest.
And now I have to wait.. 9 hours for 1 of those cutscenes to finnish.

6 min of "playtime" .. 9 hour wait to advance is kinda messed up from my point of view.

Dartagnian
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm curious to find out when critical mass has been attained and changes actually occur. How many people must dislike / have valid issue with a feature before re-evaluation is started and a fix (if there is going to be one) is implemented?

ninjaduck
04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
My negative opinions have totally changed after my first 4-5 hours of gameplay. I love the energy system, although I must agree the replenish time is slow. What do I think? I think there should be a pool, that your character can stand in. While in that pool, the energy replenish time becomes faster. Maybe it could go up to , say, 1 energy per minute.

Dartagnian
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
My negative opinions have totally changed after my first 4-5 hours of gameplay. I love the energy system, although I must agree the replenish time is slow. What do I think? I think there should be a pool, that your character can stand in. While in that pool, the energy replenish time becomes faster. Maybe it could go up to , say, 1 energy per minute.

Nice, like AO pool but in Sanctuary or something. Cool idea!

Growwle
04-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Energy duration seems reasonable to me, but I only play for short bursts of time. STS, please add a sensitivity slider for the camera rotation in the options.

Ripper McGee
04-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Energy duration seems reasonable to me, but I only play for short bursts of time. STS, please add a sensitivity slider for the camera rotation in the options.

Which maps have you played so far? Another poster timed his energy consumption in a single map and it was something like 6 minutes to use 25 energy. I've blown through 25 in about 10 minutes and I'm only level 9. Being forced to wait or pay after 10 minutes of playtime is pretty bad. If it wasn't for the PvP (which I'm having a blast in), I wouldn't bother playing at all. Basically, I pvp for about an hour, blow through my energy in pve then go back to pvp.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I think we should divide energy problems into short term and long term issues. In the short term, we have the click/ watch / drain energy. Those are only required to unlock maps so will be forgotten in a week. The long term is playability and that is 3 energy per map, 3 minutes and a 25 energy limit that refills in 125 minutes. That means roughly 1 minute of play for each 5 minutes of wait.
Please state which your problem relates too so we can stop mixing discussions.
Thanks!

MrKrone
04-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Growwle
04-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Which maps have you played so far? Another poster timed his energy consumption in a single map and it was something like 6 minutes to use 25 energy. I've blown through 25 in about 10 minutes and I'm only level 9. Being forced to wait or pay after 10 minutes of playtime is pretty bad. If it wasn't for the PvP (which I'm having a blast in), I wouldn't bother playing at all. Basically, I pvp for about an hour, blow through my energy in pve then go back to pvp.

I have only done the first three instances. Also, I want to reinforce the fact that I play in short bursts and have hours between my play sessions. I do agree that 10 plat is a bit steep to recharge, about 5 would be more reasonable, or at least an option to pay with gold.

KillaSkillz
04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I think the situation we really have is this game is not meant for some of us. Some people, like the cutesy animals, and not too difficult game play of PL, some like spacemen, and the challenging pounding of SL. I think this game is meant for people that like vampires and like to wait or spend money to wait faster. To each his own I guess.

We all have a choice, I just don't see it being very interesting for a long time with the current set up. How will guilds work with most people on different wait and refil timers? Also I have joined multi games twice already that were seconds from being completed, so now I only plat single to get better value from the limited energy.
Also I have disconnected and been pingged out in instances and lost out. (bad signal, phone call, uncertain reason).

The concept, graphics, story, and fighting are all cool and a job well done. I just don't feel it is a game that will keep my interest for very long, it is too slow. In my opinion. this doesn't mean I will leave SL, I just don't see me staying with DL like it is. There are many things a company can produce that I don't like, and some that I do. This, I guess, is one of those things like black licorice, I don't support it, but it doesn't stop me from supporting the red licorice. I may even try black licorice from time to time to see if my tases have changed.

Samhayne
04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I think the situation we really have is this game is not meant for some of us. Some people, like the cutesy animals, and not too difficult game play of PL, some like spacemen, and the challenging pounding of SL. I think this game is meant for people that like vampires and like to wait or spend money to wait faster. To each his own I guess.

We all have a choice, I just don't see it being very interesting for a long time with the current set up. How will guilds work with most people on different wait and refil timers? Also I have joined multi games twice already that were seconds from being completed, so now I only plat single to get better value from the limited energy.
Also I have disconnected and been pingged out in instances and lost out. (bad signal, phone call, uncertain reason).

The concept, graphics, story, and fighting are all cool and a job well done. I just don't feel it is a game that will keep my interest for very long, it is too slow. In my opinion. this doesn't mean I will leave SL, I just don't see me staying with DL like it is. There are many things a company can produce that I don't like, and some that I do. This, I guess, is one of those things like black licorice, I don't support it, but it doesn't stop me from supporting the red licorice. I may even try black licorice from time to time to see if my tases have changed.

Nice perspective, KillaSkillz. I like licorice in all it's glorious forms, but I know what you mean :)

Marl3y
04-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Every time you level, the Max Energy count should go up some. Would easily fix the problem...

Mastercon
04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I Love dark legends so far! The only thing I don't like as much is the energy. (I'm probably not planning too well, but it seems like energy runs out fast)

Rare
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm moving this here from another post. This is my take on energy. Just my opinion of course.

Yesterday there was outrage all over the forums and in game about it. My opinion on it... I love it. It was a little confusing at first, but now that I understand it I love it. It gives me a chance to spend 15 minutes in the game, then go do something else. Then come back again. Or, if I don't have much time and I just want to use my energy, I can get some quick experience by executing an non mission action. Its pretty cool.

Now let me say, the main issue I see here is that it will create a large gap between plat and not plat buyers. Given the increased price (drastically I might add) of platinum, the gap could get very large. To the point where you could say it is borderline FTP.

trixie
04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
The good thing about it is that its almost summer so I'm going to be getting outdoors more. Since I can only play so log on the game ill just do it like I do my zoo game, just in use up energy and leave. It kinda takes care of my urge to spend hours leveling . :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

rkp71
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
You really should make buffs a useable item. I finished a map leveled up and got am energy buff....totally wasted since leveling up filled energy. Oh look I got a sweet buff from that mission, too bad i'm out of energy and can do nothing but watch it tick away.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Thought I would inject something to lighten the mood ;)

Ripper McGee
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm moving this here from another post. This is my take on energy. Just my opinion of course.

Yesterday there was outrage all over the forums and in game about it. My opinion on it... I love it. It was a little confusing at first, but now that I understand it I love it. It gives me a chance to spend 15 minutes in the game, then go do something else. Then come back again. Or, if I don't have much time and I just want to use my energy, I can get some quick experience by executing an non mission action. Its pretty cool.

Now let me say, the main issue I see here is that it will create a large gap between plat and not plat buyers. Given the increased price (drastically I might add) of platinum, the gap could get very large. To the point where you could say it is borderline FTP.

You love a mechanic that prevents players from actually being able to play for more than a few minutes at a time--in an F2P game--without being forced to spend money? There's nothing preventing any players from logging out at will without such a feature.

Also, I don't think it'll create a gap between plat and non-plat buyers. I think it'll prevent more people from buying plat who otherwise would have. I'd happily drop $50 for vanity gear, in general, but there's no possibility I'll spend any money on DL while the current energy mechanic is in place.

Late
04-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I love DL i think it's the best game yet <3 it

Irulelol
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Whel DL comes out for iOS i plan on buying platinum, so my question is, how much are the premium character pack thing and how muchdoes the platinum cost?

morfic
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
$1 per 10 platinum.

Ripper McGee
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM

I disagree completely. While your point is good for general feedback, such as answering "Do you like the game?" type questions, it's not really applicable to this discussion. This thread has almost nothing to do with general feedback; it's specific to platinum and the current energy system. Case in point, I really, really like the game, overall. Additionally, I don't mind the cost of platinum, in general. What I really dislike ,however, is the manner in which the current energy mechanic has been implemented (I also dislike the ridiculously and, seemingly, arbitrarily long mission timers). It's most definitely not a matter of the game not being "meant" for me.

Basswhole
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Anyone else having issues with Walter Henriksen? I can't kill because every time he goes to half health he heals himself?!?!?! First time I beat him fine... Deleted char and did fit again and now this.

Rare
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
You love a mechanic that prevents players from actually being able to play for more than a few minutes at a time--in an F2P game--without being forced to spend money? There's nothing preventing any players from logging out at will without such a feature.

Also, I don't think it'll create a gap between plat and non-plat buyers. I think it'll prevent more people from buying plat who otherwise would have. I'd happily drop $50 for vanity gear, in general, but there's no possibility I'll spend any money on DL while the current energy mechanic is in place.

I personally love it because it prevents me from playing it constantly.

As for the gap, you'd then be part of the non-plat buyers. Whether or not you by plat wouldn't affect the gap that will build. Those that buy it will have a much greater opportunity to advance faster and to look "cooler".

Justg
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey folks,

We realize that the Energy mechanic is controversial, but it is designed to do many things, and is core to this game.

Part of the design is to pace the game, and part of it is to bring you back to towne to socialize between tearing humans to shreds.

That being said, we know you'd like more, so tomorrow morning we will be increasing the drop rate of energy 5X in the 3D dungeons.

Thanks!

- g

Please continue the Energy mechanic discussion here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?55038-Official-Dark-Legends-Feedback-Thread-Energy-Mechanic-%28increased-drop-rates-coming%29

PS: We'd also love your feedback on what else to do in towne while you recharge: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54868-Vampire-District-feedback