View Full Version : Ipad, joystick or tap to walk? whats best?

Violentsaint
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
hey guys i just got my ipad! ive been playing this game for 4 months now or basicly since the release and ive always played on ipod touch and used the joystick for movement controls.

im basicly just asking any ipad users out there what you personaly think is best controls on ipad, the joystick or the tap to walk.

personaly i think ill go with joystick because i only use my thumbs for controls on my ipod touch basicly because ive always been a console gamer. ive always had mac computers and as you may know there isnt alot of options gamewise so ive owned a playstation,xbox,xbox 360 and a wii.

i just wanted to know everyone elses options and what they prefer in terms of controls on ipad ;)

Raxie
08-11-2010, 07:27 AM
definitely joystick as i told you in game. you have to tap everytime and it just gets annoying.
edit: congrats on getting an ipad.:)

Iambirdman
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I actualy never tried out joystick(so many dirty thoughts I'm my head heh )
Always been tapping

KingFu
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I really prefer the joystick, and I hate how on iPad, if you try to type and move at the same time using the joystick, you jerk back and fourth :/

FluffNStuff
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I use the Joystick because I hold the iPad on my lap and it is easier. I really wish they would give the option to move the Joystick down on the screen to the relative position it is on the iPhone, but that suggestion has been floated too many times to think it will happen.

Kalielle
08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I used to tap but recently switched to joystick. There are pros and cons to both. With tapping it's too easy to tap on a monster by mistake and switch targets, which is particularly a problem in the really crowded AOS2 boss rooms. I'd have to stop tapping once I fixed my attack on the boss and just let the auto attack move me towards him, otherwise I'd always end up attacking the wrong target. But especially when playing bear it's really useful to be able to carefully rotate around your target so that when you stomp and/or beckon you're moving him the way you want him to go and not just randomly. That's why I switched to joystick and it took me a while to get used to it, but it was easy once I figured out how rotating the camera affects movement direction and that I can change directions by changing the camera.

Tapping has the advantage that you can change camera angles without affecting direction of movement. Useful for when you want to quickly look behind you, like when rushing to see who's stuck behind and whether you can do something about it, or in regular games to just see where everyone is. I really wish they had a small rear view mirror view in the corner of the screen - would come in very handy sometimes :D.

Oh, and there also seems to be a problem with tapping where I'd sometimes find myself suddenly running into the opposite direction for no reason after the cutscene/closeup when you enter the boss room. NOT good when you're the tank. Does this happen to anyone else?

Edit: I'm playing on on an iPad.

Cascade
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I absolutely hate the joystick on the iPad it just gets in the way I love tapping a lot better.

KingFu
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I absolutely hate the joystick on the iPad it just gets in the way I love tapping a lot better.

You have to tap the screen like every second though. It gets annoying, IMO it is easier just to hold your finger in one place to move forward. I tried them both and preferred the joystick by far!

Cascade
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
To me the iPad is to big to use a Joystick...I believe I am the longest person that has been playing PL on an iPad...I have been playing on iPad since May 9...

Justg
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
To me the iPad is to big to use a Joystick...I believe I am the longest person that has been playing PL on an iPad...I have been playing on iPad since May 9...

Will beg to differ with you on that... we've been playing on iPad since mid-march :D

Tap-to-move, all the way.

KingFu
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Will beg to differ with you on that... we've been playing on iPad since mid-march :D

Tap-to-move, all the way.

Grrr, G is a tapper hehe ;) Stickers FTW!

Cascade
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Haha we got a dev on our team :)

And G I meant the longest player not like dev or anything.

KingFu
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
He is still a player -.- lol

Cascade
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Whatever I mean out of all the normal players lol....Ones that didn't create the game lol....

KingFu
08-11-2010, 11:42 AM
So G isn't normal? That's mean to say ;)

Cascade
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Lol shush....You know what I mean...;)

Iambirdman
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Haha we got a dev on our team :)

And G I meant the longest player not like dev or anything.

Lol wrong again cause that will be me hehe

GaZz
08-12-2010, 03:10 AM
I've only been playing for a couple of days (Enchantress) and i started out usnig tap-to-move on the iPad, but having tried joystick I find it much better for evading attacks from mobs (attack / move / attack / move)

It would be nice to change the position of the joystick though as others have said.

Stick ftw.

Raxie
08-12-2010, 05:05 AM
i think the joystick is so high up so that people can type and move at the same time.
@gazz: you know that you can go into auto attack so you don't have to press the button 'attack' everytime. it does it for you.

GaZz
08-12-2010, 06:32 AM
i think the joystick is so high up so that people can type and move at the same time.
@gazz: you know that you can go into auto attack so you don't have to press the button 'attack' everytime. it does it for you.

Yeh, I got that, just when you're on auto attack I find it easier to move around the mobs with the joystick than tap to move - thats what I was trying to say! :D