PDA

View Full Version : Energy is not the issue.

Apollyon
04-12-2012, 10:29 AM
It is the mandatory wait time to get on with my game imposed by cut scene missions. Energy wait time is a choice based on how much we want. Three hours for literally nothing makes no sense other than blatently milking us for plat. I have no problem with waiting for energy as I may choose to either play in the pvp arwna or one of you other fun mini games like star legens or that other cute one with the animals. I am a bit dissapointed by this implentation in an otherwise very fun game.

Samhayne
04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The "gameification" of the map with actions were implemented to help a more casual, mobile bite-sized player audience (that we have a lot of, given the platform) grasp the progression through campaigns. We know that hard core gamers might find it a bit restrictive. Thanks much for taking the time to write up your feedback.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
No reason you need to 'sit around'. If you have the energy, activate all the waits in your area and do something else. If you still have nrg you can play a combat map, or you can pvp, or just log off and ride your bike to town to purchase flowers for your sweety. Whatever you do, the levels will take the same amount of time and you can come 'collect' your exp and gold at your leisure.

Ps: your nrg will also continue to increase while you are away.

octavos
04-12-2012, 10:43 AM
No reason you need to 'sit around'. If you have the energy, activate all the waits in your area and do something else. If you still have nrg you can play a combat map, or you can pvp, or just log off and ride your bike to town to purchase flowers for your sweety. Whatever you do, the levels will take the same amount of time and you can come 'collect' your exp and gold at your leisure.

On that note im a busy fellow so insted of killing. i do missions where it takes hours to complete 1-2+ so i can have racked up XP to level up when i need one or 2 xp :p
so, its why i have leveled up fast...there is a trick to like each game has a nitch you have to figure out.

Corpser
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
i like the whole system minus the 1 hour plus ones yeah its good for when you want to just leave it overnight but not when i want to progress through to the next campaign.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
On that note im a busy fellow so insted of killing. i do missions where it takes hours to complete 1-2+ so i can have racked up XP to level up when i need one or 2 xp :p
so, its why i have leveled up fast...there is a trick to like each game has a nitch you have to figure out.

Would be perfect if you could move on to the next area after completion but before you 'collect'.

Apollyon
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I really have no idea what you mean by gameification lol. Three hours, however is not bite size, by any stretch. I do not even have an issue with an hour, but holding up progress for three hours? You really end up losing money by having players go play another game and find somwthing shiney there to buy.

ninjaduck
04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Couldnt one activate like 5 timer missions, and leave it overnight, wake up, and find himself with waay more xp, and a full energy bar.

Apollyon
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
So I should only play this game before going to bed? Because it is about vampires and stuff in the dark? Can we please stop trying to spin this issue and focus on a wait time of THREE hours??? It is getting a bit insulting now. I have no desire to "do something else" while I wait, or I would not play this game in the first place. And the idea that any kind of representative of this company should suggest that is absured. If you really do not want me to play this game, from the suggestions I am seeing, then I will not.

Corpser
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
you could but i wanna play now..... not later :)

Fyrce
04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Or you have multiple toons, either on same account or multiple accounts. Or activate a bunch just as you go out to eat. I'm thinking a progression of toons (1, 2, 3, etc). I log on #1, check missions, start timers, go to breakfast. Come back. If timers/energy done, do a dungeon. If not, go to toon #2, etc.

EDIT:
Actually considering I actually spend time away from DL, I find I do not even have to do this. My L18 toon right now has ALL the timed missions complete or activated. I am waiting on one mission to move on, but I can certainly collect all the completed missions and level or collect some and get buffs and farm for some stuff I want. I am actually short on missions now to spend energy on, on my ONE toon.

I collected some missions yesterday (like 6 of them?) while farming for some gems in Kain's Crest (notice how the loot levels follow your level), but this morning I had full energy again and spent them all on more missions before breakfast, since I can't usually play during the day. Last I saw my notifications, I had 35 completed missions I could collect ...

The last time I collected a bunch of missions looking for buffs I ended up going from like 50xp to 900xp, with only about 100xp left to level. It did not make me happy to gain xp when I only wanted buffs :p

I have alts, but finding missions to spend all the energy points, when I cannot play, is becoming really difficult.

Not to mention, if I save 9 energy points to go into a dungeon, well, this can take an hour or more to finish using up that energy, what with all the in dungeon energy drops. So right now, energy is not an issue. Finding more missions to spend energy on IS.

ninjaduck
04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Also, in the dungeon with the manholes covering the zombies, couldnt one exploit this by simply letting them respawn, and kill them over and over with a bot?

octavos
04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Also, in the dungeon with the manholes covering the zombies, couldnt one exploit this by simply letting them respawn, and kill them over and over with a bot?
nope they stop eventually lol. but i do destroy everything in the level including a harmless newspaper box. u never know what the news reporters come up with these days.

ninjaduck
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Lol silly Ghost.

Exion
04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
3 hours isn't even that long, I've already came across a 9 hour one.. after that I deleted the game.
The gameplay is fun but the cost of missions (cutscenes) wich is 8 at where I am and the long waits to progress has totally turned me off.

rkp71
04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I think energy is the issue, they added these wait times likely because thay knew you would run out of energy in the first place. So they added some long wait times to keep you from worrying about energy as much, yes wait times are a bit rediculous to me be they walk hand in hand with the energy problem.

Kenzor
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Basically what they've done, is create a game where you can only progress at a good pace if you spend money. Making us wait to gain xp means we just log OUT of the game to play a different one, hardly keeping us interested is it? Typical....

csb
04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Basically what they've done, is create a game where you can only progress at a good pace if you spend money. Making us wait to gain xp means we just log OUT of the game to play a different one, hardly keeping us interested is it? Typical....

XP is on sale now, only 5 plat (50 cents) per 25 XP. o.O

Elysony
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
So I should only play this game before going to bed? Because it is about vampires and stuff in the dark? Can we please stop trying to spin this issue and focus on a wait time of THREE hours??? It is getting a bit insulting now. I have no desire to "do something else" while I wait, or I would not play this game in the first place. And the idea that any kind of representative of this company should suggest that is absured. If you really do not want me to play this game, from the suggestions I am seeing, then I will not.
If you keep raging them just quit I won't miss you if this is your attitude.

Bebsi
04-14-2012, 02:19 AM
There's no need to get personal.
From my point of view the only problem here is the success of PL and SL.
While I don't like SL as much as I like PL I will give DL a try.
Before PL got big many changes had to been made.

After a few days I won't criticize the game, I'd rather look for its weakness and by pointing it out the devs might be able to help improve the gameplay. The energy issue won't disappear so let's do some brainstorming and find a way to maximize the gameplay with its restrictions. The game has a big potential, so pls give it a warm up phase :)

eternal.lunatic
04-14-2012, 02:40 AM
The Energy would be fine if it increased with your level. Say, +5 max Energy per level, or even every other level would be fine. It would be great. You could progress at a faster pace, even with the timers and such. I really think this game is meant to be more social than PL or SL, and maybe an emphasis on PvP, although that could use some improvements, such as ACTUAL PvP and not CTF. I think the Energy and wait times are fine, but they need to increase the Energy somehow.

Also, there's a 24-hour timer on a mission some time after the 9-hour one. Have fun with that. You can also do missions you've already done while you wait for the long timers to finish. Be happy they don't lock you into that timer. They could make it so you can't do any other missions while you're waiting for timer missions to finish.

Lylaise
04-14-2012, 04:04 AM
I have to put in my two cents.

This game is for players ages 17 and up. Most people that age are busy with school, work, or both. The fact that you can play through an area once and are not required to grind through it endlessly should come as a relief. You can do the timed quests while you're busy with life, then check back when you have time to complete them.

I'm relieved at not needing to grind. I don't have that much time for it. And each playable level only requires 3 energy points. It takes 2 hours and 5 minutes to get all 25 energy points. So, after you get home from work, you could do 8 levels. More than, if you figure that soloing takes more time and you'll get more energy as you go.

I understand that people who want to grind for hours are disappointed. But the fact is, you don't have to spend money to play, and I think most people will find that they have plenty of energy if they time it right.

It's not a perfect system, but I really like the game anyway! If someone doesn't like it, that's fine. Enjoy playing PL and SL! This is a new, different game, and it's still gaining it's footing. Give it a chance, people. :)

Arterra
04-14-2012, 05:10 AM
I am split on the energy and the timer...
-restrictions cause slower growth and monetary gain, also gives much larger edge to those who pay to play than their other games.
-less people farming = less server usage = less lagg?
-also means less coveted items out there... good, or bad?

colshephard
04-14-2012, 12:59 PM
How bout as u lvl the energy bar increases as well. For darklegends. A lot of takers have mentioned this and as well as puzzle games to figure out for more drops and vanities.

Shellkaz
04-15-2012, 08:03 AM
I personally don't have a problem with an energy mechanic in and of itself. However, I have had to refuse invitations to run with friends because I was out of energy. Yes I could have bought some. but, I didn't want to, even though I could have afforded it. and there are those who just cant afford it. I feel that 25 energy is too limited, yes I know they have increased the drop rate, but, for me, it often falls when I don't need it. IE my energy is already full or nearly full. Stashable energy, like health or Mana pots would be great.

Cahaun
04-15-2012, 08:41 AM
24 hours to search a body?
9 hours to kill two guards and a door?
The Outskirts takes too long...

Deathpunch
04-15-2012, 08:55 AM
24 hours to search a body?
9 hours to kill two guards and a door?
The Outskirts takes too long...

Ever try killing a door? Not as easy as you think.

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Lylaise
04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I personally don't have a problem with an energy mechanic in and of itself. However, I have had to refuse invitations to run with friends because I was out of energy. Yes I could have bought some. but, I didn't want to, even though I could have afforded it. and there are those who just cant afford it. I feel that 25 energy is too limited, yes I know they have increased the drop rate, but, for me, it often falls when I don't need it. IE my energy is already full or nearly full. Stashable energy, like health or Mana pots would be great.

+5 for you!! :)))

But seriously. I'll go to finish a mission before bed, and get buffs and energy that I can't use. The energy I don't mind so much, even though it IS annoying. But the buffs... Those really hurt. We should be able to select when we use them. Most definitely. XD

wvhills
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
The "gameification" of the map with actions were implemented to help a more casual, mobile bite-sized player audience (that we have a lot of, given the platform) grasp the progression through campaigns. We know that hard core gamers might find it a bit restrictive. Thanks much for taking the time to write up your feedback.

Sam, I'm not sure I understand this. How does an energy system help casual players grasp the progression through campaigns? Couldn't they play at their own pace without an energy system? I'm an iOS user so haven't got to play yet so maybe I'll understand better when I do but from what I've read it seems like the main purpose of the energy system is to restrict people who want to farm or make them pay plats.

FluffNStuff
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
+5 for you!! :)))

But seriously. I'll go to finish a mission before bed, and get buffs and energy that I can't use. The energy I don't mind so much, even though it IS annoying. But the buffs... Those really hurt. We should be able to select when we use them. Most definitely. XD

That is not a game issue, it is a strategy issue. I am thinking of putting a guide together on this, but the most important thing is not to 'finish' a mission unless there is a benefit. The three possible benefits of missions are experience, energy and buffs. For that reason, should not harvest a mission if you have no energy because then you can't use the buff and you should not harvest a mission if you have full energy because then you waste the possible extra energy.

wvhills
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
That is not a game issue, it is a strategy issue. I am thinking of putting a guide together on this, but the most important thing is not to 'finish' a mission unless there is a benefit. The three possible benefits of missions are experience, energy and buffs. For that reason, should not harvest a mission if you have no energy because then you can't use the buff and you should not harvest a mission if you have full energy because then you waste the possible extra energy.

Fluff, wouldn't it be better if you could just play as much as you wanted without having to come up with a complicated work around? Finding ways around the system couldn't be the intention since DL is geared to causal gamers who don't have time to put that much thought into things.

FluffNStuff
04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Fluff, wouldn't it be better if you could just play as much as you wanted without having to come up with a complicated work around? Finding ways around the system couldn't be the intention since DL is geared to causal gamers who don't have time to put that much thought into things.

Just like everything else in life, you can find ways to use obstacles to your advantage, or you can pay money to have those obstacles removed.

captaintuttle
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
lol @ "that other cute one with the animals" :D

drewcapu
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm going to reiterate what Fluff is saying that people just aren't strategizing properly.

You can't just do steps 1-20 and expect an optimal result. Sometimes you have to go back and do steps 1 and 2, or 5 and 6.

You need to be familiar with what the possible rewards are for each mission.

If you are about to take the rewards of a mission that will level you up and you haven't used up your energy, you're doing it wrong.

If you are about to take the rewards of a mission that might give you a 15-minute buff and you have 2 energy left, you're doing it wrong.

One of the beauties of DL is that you can be L15 and that first campaign is still useful to you. This is one of the things that people complained about in PL where people get bored after finishing the content. Now that you can replay content in DL and still reap the benefits, people aren't even taking advantage of it!

Nikoltu
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
all that silly energy and stupid mission stuff is not that big of an issue if they can compensate it with some other stuff like, more PvP maps, more modes for PvP matches, upgradable weapons and other stuff, longer Quest maps, Guild wars, bigger open world, more interactive NPCs... God, it can go on if they had imagination... just now the world is soo Dull

wvhills
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I have to put in my two cents.

This game is for players ages 17 and up. Most people that age are busy with school, work, or both. The fact that you can play through an area once and are not required to grind through it endlessly should come as a relief. You can do the timed quests while you're busy with life, then check back when you have time to complete them.

I'm relieved at not needing to grind. I don't have that much time for it. And each playable level only requires 3 energy points. It takes 2 hours and 5 minutes to get all 25 energy points. So, after you get home from work, you could do 8 levels. More than, if you figure that soloing takes more time and you'll get more energy as you go.

I understand that people who want to grind for hours are disappointed. But the fact is, you don't have to spend money to play, and I think most people will find that they have plenty of energy if they time it right.

It's not a perfect system, but I really like the game anyway! If someone doesn't like it, that's fine. Enjoy playing PL and SL! This is a new, different game, and it's still gaining it's footing. Give it a chance, people. :)

couldn't u do all those same things if there wasn't the energy mechanic? Plus without it people who wanted to grind for loot could do that too. I just don't see any benefit of having it and a lot of restrictions because of it.

DerSchuetze
04-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Sam, I'm not sure I understand this. How does an energy system help casual players grasp the progression through campaigns? Couldn't they play at their own pace without an energy system? I'm an iOS user so haven't got to play yet so maybe I'll understand better when I do but from what I've read it seems like the main purpose of the energy system is to restrict people who want to farm or make them pay plats.

Hers what i do somerimes. . Step 1: Log in every few hours. Step 2: Klick on some buttons. Step 3: exit. Repeat steps 1-3.

Spend 10 min max in dl a day. And i progress :)

Kaytar
04-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Create a few new accounts and level them when you run out of energy..I have a 12,14, and 18. Haha sure passes the time

wvhills
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Create a few new accounts and level them when you run out of energy..I have a 12,14, and 18. Haha sure passes the time

I understand there are things u can do to pass the time (like spend 50 plats for an extra character) lol. My point is why should we have to do things like that to play. Why not be able to play as much as we want? What is the benefit of having an energy mechanism? I can clearly see the disadvantages but can't see any advantages at all.

Kaytar
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM

I understand there are things u can do to pass the time (like spend 50 plats for an extra character) lol. My point is why should we have to do things like that to play. Why not be able to play as much as we want? What is the benefit of having an energy mechanism? I can clearly see the disadvantages but can't see any advantages at all.Create new accounts with different emails like me. It's free

i want to join aoa
04-17-2012, 08:02 PM
my pvp in dl is 410 kills 350 deaths

wvhills
04-17-2012, 08:20 PM
my pvp in dl is 410 kills 350 deaths

How does that fit into this conversation?

Kaytar, that is a good work around. :). But why should we have to do that. What benefit is there to restricting the amount of time u can play? I've been asking but haven't received any answers. I guess no one really knows.

StompArtist
04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm going to reiterate what Fluff is saying that people just aren't strategizing properly.

You can't just do steps 1-20 and expect an optimal result. Sometimes you have to go back and do steps 1 and 2, or 5 and 6.

You need to be familiar with what the possible rewards are for each mission.

If you are about to take the rewards of a mission that will level you up and you haven't used up your energy, you're doing it wrong.

If you are about to take the rewards of a mission that might give you a 15-minute buff and you have 2 energy left, you're doing it wrong.

One of the beauties of DL is that you can be L15 and that first campaign is still useful to you. This is one of the things that people complained about in PL where people get bored after finishing the content. Now that you can replay content in DL and still reap the benefits, people aren't even taking advantage of it!

If anything i would say that there is too little xp between levels and that even by not optimizing xp gains one finds that very few hours of actual game play gets you to level20 without having the last couple maps even unlocked. Imo xp curve needs to be raised and then optimizing xp gain will become truly attractive...

FluffNStuff
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
If anything i would say that there is too little xp between levels and that even by not optimizing xp gains one finds that very few hours of actual game play gets you to level20 without having the last couple maps even unlocked. Imo xp curve needs to be raised and then optimizing xp gain will become truly attractive...

Optimizing is to be able to flip at least once when you actually sit down to play, giving you 50 energy of running :). Perfect for peep like me who have limited access during the day but more time in the evening.

FluffNStuff
04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Ro-bear, the pvp comment was meant to say there are things to do in game when out of energy. Oh, and it is really awesome.

Apollyon
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
So, this thread was not about energy, hence the title, nor pvp or maximizing xp gain. It is about the several missions that take 3-24 hours to complee. Now I get that ghost chili gives a better reward than say strawberries, but in this game, a 15 min buff can be gained by waiting 10min to an hour. So if, sts, you are unwilling to adust wait times, how about the reward. Or maybe at least the flavor text to justify the long wait?

Fyrce
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I understand there are things u can do to pass the time (like spend 50 plats for an extra character) lol. My point is why should we have to do things like that to play. Why not be able to play as much as we want? What is the benefit of having an energy mechanism? I can clearly see the disadvantages but can't see any advantages at all.

A player CAN play as much as he or she wants -- that's called MONEY.

Or the player can be smart and figure out a game strategy and maybe have missions counting down when they eat, sleep, work or interact with their pet rat (for those 2 or 3 players that are not in the game world 24/7) or use multiple accounts to play for free without all the energy restrictions (all the players who live in game and do not eat or sleep can do this part).