PDA

View Full Version : High cost of DL means i am just visiting the game

csb
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
If i am playing a game, I am either fully into it, or I am just visiting.

I like DL, but after adding up the cost, I have to be a visitor. If i bought 500 plat for $50, i could use all that in a week. The cost of plat is high, and the in-game costs are higher. 5 plat in PL to make a new character, 50 plat in DL for the same, for example.

I wonder if DL will make less money by charging more because less people will get into it fully. Perhaps most players will just be visiting and only playing the free content.

Redbridge
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I suspect you're probably right..

Ardon
04-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, i was gonna buy plat then i saw the prices.

Sent from my CM9 powered Droid X

Rare
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Also, i think that price for 500 is only a limited time. Think its normally 360 for that price.

Samhayne
04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sorry you didn't find Dark Legends more to your liking. That doesn't change the love we have for you from all the support you have shown us in the past. We know our games, indeed all of our future offerings, new stuff for Pocket Legends, Star Legends, etc. won't be for everyone. It's understandable. I think that KillaSkillz had it right when he compared it to his like for red licorice (and his dislike for black) in his post at http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54766-Official-Dark-Legends-Feedback-Thread-Actions-and-Energy-Mechanic&p=617042&viewfull=1#post617042

Thanks again for your input.

Apollyon
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I have to completely agree with this. Red licorice is awesome. If I wanted the taste of black I would just sprinkle anis seeds in my yaeger marinated bubblegum.

Jake Miller
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I believe i speak on behaf of many when i say this.. i would totally buy plat if plat had more value in game. I bought 4500 plat in SL.

morfic
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
@Sam. I love red licorice. I love black licorice.

However, if a piece of red licorice costs 10 cents, and a piece of black licorice costs 5 dollars... I can assure you that no matter how much more I like black licorice than red, I would always end up buying red because of the price. A piece of licorice is not worth 5 dollars. It is worth 10 cents.

You say the game is not for everyone, but I disagree. This game had the potential to be the best of the three, and SHOULD be for everyone. If this is the answer to every debate (that it is not for everyone), then why did you make the game with the intention of it not being for everyone? Wouldn't you want to design a game to BE for everyone?

This game IS for everyone. Every one and their mama's love the theme. Every one loves the graphics. Every one loves the combat. Every one loves being a vampire. Everyone loves the vanities. Everyone loves the skill system. The response of it not being for everyone, should be reserved to people complaining about it being to bloody... Not to people complaining about prices or play-ability.

A smart business plan would be to approach this with the question, "How can we make this game ... for everyone". My suggestion would be as follows:

1) Use reasonable plat pricing. 5 plat for character slots was fine. 50 plat is not. 8 plat for stimpacks/blood packs is fine. 18 plat is not. 800 plat for $50 was fine. Not 500 plat for $50. 2000 plat for $90 was even better!

2) Make energy refresh a tad faster, my complaints on energy are dwindling as I get used to it. It still irks me, but not nearly as bad. I just think it could refresh faster.

3) Allow games to be hosted. We need a better way to team together and play together.

Gazroast
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
+1 Morfic

csb
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry you didn't find Dark Legends more to your liking.

I never said that I don't like the game. I do like it. But, I have to project towards the future what my cost will be to really get into this game. I would want to buy holiday items, participate in the market, buy more character slots, more stash slots, and vanity items. In PL, I may spend $200 in one year on elixirs, vanities, etc. For the same experience in DL, it would cost me $1000/yr. So, i cannot participate in DL in the same way that I participate in PL.

In summary, I like DL, but to really get into DL would be very expensive.

Hankomachos
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
+Infinity to Morfic! Awesome post.

Lowlyspy
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Amen Morfy.

Popular
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
+a billiOn to morf

OvigorothO
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
last morfic + post

Deathpunch
04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
-1 to morfic, cuz he got too much, lol, but I agree, nonetheless. :D

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

morfic
04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
-1 to morfic, cuz he got too much, lol, but I agree, nonetheless. :D

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

nuuuu! Gimme back my +'s!

Deathpunch
04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
nuuuu! Gimme back my +'s!

Sorry, I ates it. I r hungry. *burp*

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Snakespeare
04-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Can't say I agree 100%, morf. It's not for some of us because we're squeamish. I'm not ashamed to admit it. There's just too much spurting blood.

And there's some Australian licorice that I gladly devour and am willling to pay so much more for than I pay for Red Vines.

morfic
04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Can't say I agree 100%, morf. It's not for some of us because we're squeamish. I'm not ashamed to admit it. There's just too much spurting blood.

And there's some Australian licorice that I gladly devour and am willling to pay so much more for than I pay for Red Vines.

This game IS for everyone. Every one and their mama's love the theme. Every one loves the graphics. Every one loves the combat. Every one loves being a vampire. Everyone loves the vanities. Everyone loves the skill system. The response of it not being for everyone, should be reserved to people complaining about it being to bloody... Not to people complaining about prices or play-ability.

I understand Snake. That's what I meant in the above quote. It's understandable for the game "Not to be for everyone", who are not looking for the blood/gore/uncensored chat. I was just pointing out that Pricing/playability shouldn't be a part of that.

Snakespeare
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Ah... lost a lot of sleep last night... reading comprehension has been low all day!!! sry

Anyhow... to the metaphor! The Aussie licorice is Kookaburra. I highly recommend it. The flavor is rich and intense! You can get a 10 oz. bag for $4. Red Vines will sell you a big tub of their stuff for the same price. But it's Kookaburra for me.

By which I mean, some people are willing to pay more if they feel the quality is worth it.

Am I willing to pay 50 plat for a second toon? Am I willing to spend plat for costumes? If this were a FRPGMMO instead of horror genre, yes.

StompArtist
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
But wait. There is no Red Legends is there?

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Toyota makes both the camry sedan and the Lexus IS convertible. While most people would prefer the Lexus, way more people buy the camry. Why? Because the Lexus is not for everyone.

(I have pooh pics to deploy in retaliation for the blow back from this post)

morfic
04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
You make a good point. But it also seems kind of wrong in my eyes to jack the prices up that high ..because: "You like this game more, so I know you'll pay more for it.".

It also effectively costs MORE than 50 plat to purchase a character slot, because they decreased how much plat you get for the money. We get 300 less plat in this game, for the same amount invested.

So the jacked up plat prices effectively make the value of each character slot around 60-70 plat (didn't do math, just guesstimating.).

I am really torn on this issue, and I am not trying to sound flamey or negative. The intentions of my posts are only that of constructive criticism. Even with the complaints I have, I love DL. I will be playing it for a long time I'm sure. But what's so hard for me... is that I REALLY want to invest in extra character slots/vanities/other plat expenditures, but I cannot let myself due to not agreeing with the price gouge.

I just want to make sure STS are pricing for their players accordingly, and not losing any potential profits from other players, like they are with me. :(

Fyrce
04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I hate any of those vines. I love licorice.

Ripper McGee
04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Toyota makes both the camry sedan and the Lexus IS convertible. While most people would prefer the Lexus, way more people buy the camry. Why? Because the Lexus is not for everyone.

(I have pooh pics to deploy in retaliation for the blow back from this post)

Comparing a luxury model vehicle to a standard vehicle is ridiculous. DL is not the Lexus to PL's/SL's Camry. At least in that comparison, you get more for paying more. With DL you get less for paying more...

The Flash
04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Not everyone can afford a benz simple as that, so buy a honda. People say they love the content buy not the price sounds like how people love service from verizon,cars from benz, beat head phones, ect.. but dont want to pay premium. What Sam said about the game not being for everyone means this, he is just useing tact, that and he cant say "if you cant offord it dont play".

I on the other hand dont like the game (its not for me). When Star Legends came out I played it but Pocket Legends was just more advanced (been out longer). Maybe if PL was not out I would play SL. However even if DL was only game out I dont see me playing it. It not to my liking but it is to some so enjoy, cant expect STS to just copy and paste games and make it a different genra. I think that what you all expected which would have worked since some times change is not good. Like the DB Evolution movie. The DBZ Fans would have been more then happy to watch a DB movie copy and pasted from the anime to real live. But no they try to be creative and do it totaly different which isnt good with DBZ since it perfect the way it is. Hopefully its not the same here.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Comparing a luxury model vehicle to a standard vehicle is ridiculous. DL is not the Lexus to PL's/SL's Camry. At least in that comparison, you get more for paying more. With DL you get less for paying more...

PL is absolutely a camry. You get an insane amount of content for little to no cost. The problem is when you have been driving it for so long as most of us you don't realize it. Now comes out the Lexus. It has standard leather seats, boss surround sound and active parking control. Do those things make is a 'better' car? No, but they are things people are willing to pay for to get.

Now for those that think I am willing to pay for a Lexus, I am not. I am happy using my camry for general driving, and enjoy renting the Lexus for free for a quick joy ride when I get a chance. And for that reason, Toyota has no responsibility to make sure my trips are worry free.

csb
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
PL is absolutely a camry... Now comes out the Lexus... Now for those that think I am willing to pay for a Lexus, I am not.

This is the point. Most people can't buy the Lexus. DL is positioned to appeal to a small subset of STS customers. Do Lexus sales produce more profit for Toyota than the cheaper models? Maybe per car, but not in total sales.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
This is the point. Most people can't buy the Lexus. DL is positioned to appeal to a small subset of STS customers. Do Lexus sales produce more profit for Toyota than the cheaper models? Maybe per car, but not in total sales.

Does Lexus produce more profit then Toyota? No, but selling both to consumers makes more money then only offering one.

Dartagnian
04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I agree with Morfic as well. I also applaude everyone here and elsewhere for being reasonable in their responses though the knee jerk reaction (mine was included at very first) was to /rage *ON.

Lets be very brutaly honest. The hiked prices are for one purpose; increase profitability. You can say it was to slow things down, change this or that, but like changing a collar on a dog, its still a dog, just a different collar.

Now whether that was done because the folks at sts thought that due to content they would have less customes (reasonable assumption) and therefore less customer base and less revenue or if it was done because...well they wanted more cash (we all work for cash, except Bruce Wayne) we probably won't know.

What should be infinitely obvious, though there are strong opinions both ways, is that given the answers posted by sts employees this is how they planned it and its not going to change too much. It is working as designed. They've agreed to make a minor drop change that may alleviate some of the pain. Agreed it may be a tough pill to swallow, i don't care for it too much, but as the analogy is so loved, that's the color of the licorice.

Like Morfic said, he's getting use to it, though the shock of a different game dynamic was obviously strong for him and so many others.

There are tons of great suggestions for minor tweaks. You never know, maybe they'll make more changes without sacrificing their revenue too much.

morfic
04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
This thread is deliciously filled with awesome analogies.

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
This thread is deliciously filled with awesome analogies.

Well then like a midget at a urinal, we better stay on our toes.

Ardon
04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Well then like a midget at a urinal, we better stay on our toes.

For 50 plat you can get a stool so you don't have to tip toe :p

Sent from my CM9 powered Droid X

FluffNStuff
04-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Also wanted to mention I got really POd when they added a pay per use sunroof to my camry to no avail. Maybe the profit from the Lexus sales will stop them from making the coming rain sensing wipers an expensive upgrade.

morfic
04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Also wanted to mention I got really POd when they added a pay per use sunroof to my camry to no avail. Maybe the profit from the Lexus sales will stop them from making the coming rain sensing wipers an expensive upgrade.

Ahaha.

aka: No more winter-type events plz?

Lylaise
04-14-2012, 05:57 AM
I gotta say, I bought the 500 plat for $50. And I KNOW people have bought more than that, judging by their outfits.

But that's all I see people spending money on: outfits. Which I love to pieces, don't get me wrong. But outfits are not essential to playing the game.

Niether are additional character slots, premium character packages, additional auction/inventory/stash slots, skipping the energy timer, etc.

In fact, you can play this game without spending a dime.

Personally, I spent a TON of plat on clothes. But that's all I've spent it on. I haven't used it to help me out in-game in any way (besides looking bamf lol XD).

It does suck that you get less plat for $50, but I can see the reasoning behind it. The ONLY thing I found over-priced, RIDICULOUSLY so, was the additional character slot. But again, you don't need it to play the game.

When it comes down to it, I don't get why people say you need plat to play DL. You don't. It's an option, and you don't have to get it.

So, yeah. Just had to throw my two cents into the ring! :P

Exion
04-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Letme guess, you are stil fairly low lvld, and wandering about in the 2nd or even 3d campaign.
When you hit the 9hour missions you'll be thinking.. hmm ok.. that'll keep me from advancing in the story line for a while..
But you'll cope with it.
But right after you finnish that 2nd 9hour mission.. kablam.. you get hit in the face with a 24hour mission.. that's where the plat payers will have a huge edge.

You do realise that there are already lvl 20 chars out there right? Trust me.. those arnt non plat players.

The long waiting times to advance in the story line is what made me drop this game, I do like the gameplay and I don't mind spending a bit of energy to advance in the story but the times are just to long for my taste.

morfic
04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Mmm...I don't mind the timers. It sucks when friends are on the next stage, and I'm held back by a 24 tower, but meh.

So far I am just about done with the subway. I've suffered through the 3/9/24 hour timers easily. I like spending time working on mission rotations for maximum lazy XP.

It also keeps us from blazing through all content in one day and whining for new content again.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Paar
04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
You know it's a Brand - Spanking New Game! And.. the best Part is this ;) YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY PLATINUM!!!!! (Some may have never heard - This word - {Optional} Big Shocker to some(: Surely I will have someone troll my comment..

Lylaise
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm a level 14. Finished the 24 hour timer and actually decided to do it again, just for kicks. :P

I earned the Aristocrat title and am almost done with the area after it. (Sorry, can't remember the name! XD)

And I've done all that without using plat to help level. So, it's possible, really. I'm in no rush to reach the level cap. I'll get there when I get there. I just wanna have fun playing the game, which I am! :D

Lady_Pebbles
04-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I gotta agree... You can play this game and all the other StS games without spending a dime. I capped twice on SL (including lvl41) without spening real money & I am currently level 16 on DL in just two days. I say thats pretty damn good for someone who doesn't spend real moola on plat at all. Although, I did notice the Wardrobe Achievements. Plat would make it easier in unlocking them. However, I'd rather save gold & spend it on what I really want in game instead of spending real money on pixels...

#justsaying >__>

Carapace
04-14-2012, 05:49 PM
We are reading these and all DL related posts, and there is a lot of well written constructive feedback across the board (and some sweet analogies!). While changes may not come quickly, we are listening and having daily discussions related to topics such as these. As others have pointed out the game is brand new at this point, and going through some tweaking.

Just wanted to let everyone know their comments do not fall on deaf ears, and we appreciate the feedback! :vsmile:

Rawrimafish
04-14-2012, 06:28 PM
i wants licorice rite bout nowsa

Dartagnian
04-14-2012, 09:35 PM
(whips out some licorice)

The choice.... Is yours. Red or Black.

I have multi-color, but its in my van....