PDA

View Full Version : Guilds: Why are they not working?

Dizko
08-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Lets discuss why guilds are falling apart.

I'd like to know why 3 of the best guilds disappeared within a month.

Also lets talk about how a new pocket legends guild to be successful, different from the crowd, etc.

The 'L' guild invited anyone who asked. It did very well, was a bit disorganized, but generally liked. Then it all went wrong.

The 'V' guild was very organized, very rich, and that didn't work either.

I've seen many other guilds which looked even more promising fail.

Why isn't it working guys? What do we need to do?

(By the way, I'm not saying all guilds have failed - I'm sure there are great guilds out there still standing strong, and new ones who will do even better than anyone has before - I'm just trying to get a conversation going)

:)

Also, I don't want individual reasons, i.e - 'Well the reason guildx failed is cause XxPlayer123xX was an ***'. I'm talking general rules where people seem to be going wrong.

KingFu
08-11-2010, 09:42 AM
2 of the biggest guilds that failed had scamming leaders that ended up being dishonest, that's why they failed, not too sure what happened to the other.

Dizko
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Mystical.

Could you maybe fill me in via PM?

As for the thread, I kinda want it to stick to generalizations, not guild-specific reasons. :)

caelitus
08-13-2010, 03:16 AM
There needs to be in game guild content. A start would be the creation of name tags declaring your allegiance that show up -under- your name.
A ranking system would be the next step perhaps.

Royce
08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
There needs to be in game guild content.

This is why I think guilds have not been successful in general. Many people, myself included, have just not seen much reason to join one until they are supported in game.

kavanah
08-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Guild support through in-game content is definitely one reason and probably the main reason.

The other reason is all about leadership. Leadership has to be mature, committed, organized and understand where the guild is going and what's happenining. And with Tenacity, right now we are working on our leadership. We are enjoying each other's company while learning policy, and being trained to handle members when they come. We will open up membership when guilds hit in-game. Until then we will only stengthen our core leadership.

Most guilds go like this - "lets get a few friends together, make a guild, and start inviting people in it!"

The way I am approaching this guild is like this - "let's take it slow at first, build a leadership team, develop policy, get creative ideas for events in the future, understand what we want to develop as we go, and usher in quality members when we are ready and capable of keeping them interested in being a part of Tenacity."

Royce while we aren't having members right now, read our Mission Statement. You will see what being, at least in Tenacity, has to offer when we do open membership.

Guilds are just like any other organization in life. It takes a strong willed leader who can administrate.

So in a nutshell it boils down to 2 main things:

1) Guild related Content
2) Guild leadership

Edit: I hope no one thinks I'm trying to put myself on a high horse right now. I am the main administrator for both of my jobs in real life, so I've had a lot of experience with it. I'm also in no way throwing rocks at anyone else. It's just the facts.

Dizko
08-13-2010, 12:52 PM
You hijacked my thread. But i'll let you off with it since you speak the truth ;)

KingFu
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I personally think the biggest part of a guild is the leader ship. When you have one leader, well I have seen 2 big guilds have the leader go power crazy, and pretty much be very dishonest. I think if there is gonna be a leader, there needs to be at least one co-leader, one that is trustworthy as well as the leader.

Phoenix has an Admin council, so we don't have one leader, but a council of 5, we vote on everything and we have been in the game for a long time. We don't have many disagreements at all, and none of them have been any trouble since they were all small. We are devoted to do what's best for the guild and its members.

The in game guild thing won't be a huge difference IMO, it really depends how the devs do it. I don't think it will be a huge difference, but who knows.

kavanah
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
You hijacked my thread. But i'll let you off with it since you speak the truth ;)

Well it was just impossible for me to explain why other guilds are not being successful without using examples. I'm not trying to promote my guild, but to simply say what I'm trying to do to avoid being like other guilds so far.

kavanah
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I think if there is gonna be a leader, there needs to be at least one co-leader, one that is trustworthy as well as the leader.

I agree and Tenacity will be selecting a co-leader, and announcing that when we open membership.

Phoenix has an Admin council, so we don't have one leader, but a council of 5, we vote on everything and we have been in the game for a long time. We don't have many disagreements at all, and none of them have been any trouble since they were all small. We are devoted to do what's best for the guild and its members.

I agree to this as well. "There is wisdom in the council of advisors". Our officers will fullfill this role.

The in game guild thing won't be a huge difference IMO, it really depends how the devs do it. I don't think it will be a huge difference, but who knows.

I think you would be surprised with the quick interest players will show to be in a guild all of sudden because they are in-game. There is something about having a name to rally around and especially when it's publicly viewable (especially outside of just forums).

KingFu
08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I agree and Tenacity will be selecting a co-leader, and announcing that when we open membership.

Sounds good, I think Tenacity will do pretty well. You seem like you are setting it up right and are doing a good job. ;)

I think you would be surprised with the interest in being in a guild would do. There is something about having a name to rally around and especially when it's publicly viewable (especially outside of just forums).

Yeah, the devs do well at surprising us, so it can be taking in multiple directions.

kavanah
08-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds good, I think Tenacity will do pretty well. You seem like you are setting it up right and are doing a good job. ;)

Yeah, the devs do well at surprising us, so it can be taking in multiple directions.

Appreciate the kind words. We should plan things together later on, like PVP tourny between Tenacity and Phoenix and stuff.

KingFu
08-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds good. Are the only guilds still around Wolfpack, Phoenix, and Tenacity?

FluffNStuff
08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Appreciate the kind words. We should plan things together later on, like PVP tourny between Tenacity and Phoenix and stuff.

So I gotta take on Both Tenacity and Phoenix at once, or is it just a competition to see who can kill me the fastest?

KingFu
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
So I gotta take on Both Tenacity and Phoenix at once, or is it just a competition to see who can kill me the fastest?

I don't think that's what he meant but do you wanna 5V1 us in PvP? ;)

kavanah
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Haha! That's like those screenshots of people on WoW...

Bowman: "Hey I'm looking for a Guild!"

Guild: "Hey what's up?"

Azrael
08-16-2010, 11:39 PM
In game guild functionality is needed.

Players who don't quit the game after becoming serious enough to be in a good guild due to lack of in game content.

but hey... i'm still here, and once guilds are in the game i do intend to start one.

Benstayeah
08-17-2010, 04:11 AM
how do u make that picture
of orc

tjornan
08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
i really dont spend much time on the guild website, more ingame with my guildies....

bladesword
08-19-2010, 04:46 AM
Yep, i dun hav 1. Whats the point of it if ya have a page the devs kindly made us?