PDA

View Full Version : Abilities and Organized PVP

Cjon
04-14-2012, 04:38 PM
At first glance, I thought that the current skill tree lacks the depth needed for an MMO. But I've started to realize that the current abilities could be adequate (Although you're more than welcome to add more abilities c: ).

As far as PVE goes, the lack of clear defined tank and support abilities seems like a problem, but there is one thing that I realized. In DL more so than in the other two games, players are self sufficient. Due to the Feed mechanic, a role of a tank or a healer isn't as necessary (or necessary at all), because everybody has a reliable source of health regeneration. Any sort of healing ability would be somewhat redundant because of this. Now group buffs would be a nice addition, but I feel like players can make due without it.

Now while defined roles aren't as necessary, players do like to have the options of different playstyles, which is why I feel like a ranged weapon would add a lot more options to the game.

As far as PVP goes, the current skill tree actually seems to have a moderate amount of depth. A designated flag carrier could max out on defensive abilities/equipment, use shadow dance to get to the flag faster, and the rest of the abilities would be up to personal preference. A normal damage dealer has the options of going more of a straight damage build (the top branch), or decide to go for more utility in the form of CC abilities or curse (the bottom two branches). And one idea I personally want to try out is to go a pure damage build, and get all of the ranged abilities that I can; making up for my lowered survivability with the ability to kite my opponents.

Now while there are more so defined roles in PVP, the main problem is the lack of a organized PVP option. With the current (painfully unbalanced) PUBs, you can't really get the most out of the different options you have for playstyle customization. I feel like there needs to be a good form of organized PVP, so that way people can make the most out of the skill tree. Basically even though there is some depth in the skill tree, the lack of organized PVP makes it so we can't really use the full potential of its depth.

MonolithEffect
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I agree with you completely. I mentioned the same thing you covered about the class system and skills in the Official Powers Feedback Tread http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54772-Official-Dark-Legends-Feedback-Thread-Vampire-Powers

This game will get tiring once players obtain all of the skills and realize their role is no different from others. Although there is no specific defined role in the game, I've chose the Hellblade, Fatal Blade, and Curse skill to make my character more of a spellcaster/support class. I choose to my pump skill points in those skills until I can gain access to other ranged skills, rather than obtaining skills useful for close combat. I heavily rely on my ranged skills instead of melee and close combat, so I only use Potency gems and Well-being weapons (which both only grants a large about of health) to compensate my health for my heavy usage of skills. Therefore, my strength, damage and defense is extremely low.

Soloing is a bit difficult, but my style of playing is most beneficial for damaging crowds when I'm playing in a team. When everyone's low in health and unable to feed, the players tend to withdraw from close combat to detract aggro. That's where I step in. Because I fight from a range, and have plenty of health to sacrifice, I would spam curse on a crowd of enemies, before I charge my weapon and deliver one fatal blow. That tactic will instantly fill the Thirst meter and allow the rest of the team to feed on any remaining enemies.

Yet, with the lack of ranged skills and the long cool down, I'm forced to fight in close range. Ranged weapons would make a great addition to the game: pistols, crossbows, or mid-ranged melee weapons such as staffs, polearms, or chakrams/wind and fire wheels or war fans that can be thrown.

Cjon
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I agree with you completely. I mentioned the same thing you covered about the class system and skills in the Official Powers Feedback Tread http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54772-Official-Dark-Legends-Feedback-Thread-Vampire-Powers

This game will get tiring once players obtain all of the skills and realize their role is no different from others. Although there is no specific defined role in the game, I've chose the Hellblade, Fatal Blade, and Curse skill to make my character more of a spellcaster/support class. I choose to my pump skill points in those skills until I can gain access to other ranged skills, rather than obtaining skills useful for close combat. I heavily rely on my ranged skills instead of melee and close combat, so I only use Potency gems and Well-being weapons (which both only grants a large about of health) to compensate my health for my heavy usage of skills. Therefore, my strength, damage and defense is extremely low.

Soloing is a bit difficult, but my style of playing is most beneficial for damaging crowds when I'm playing in a team. When everyone's low in health and unable to feed, the players tend to withdraw from close combat to detract aggro. That's where I step in. Because I fight from a range, and have plenty of health to sacrifice, I would spam curse on a crowd of enemies, before I charge my weapon and deliver one fatal blow. That tactic will instantly fill the Thirst meter and allow the rest of the team to feed on any remaining enemies.

Yet, with the lack of ranged skills and the long cool down, I'm forced to fight in close range. Ranged weapons would make a great addition to the game: pistols, crossbows, or mid-ranged melee weapons such as staffs, polearms, or chakrams/wind and fire wheels or war fans that can be thrown.

Yup. With ranged weapons, people would definitely be able to get more out of the current skill tree. In fact, I feel like just adding different weapon types would do enough to define roles. Dual wield could be max damage, 2H could be for a more disable heavy build, Sword/Shield could be for defensive, and Ranged would be a different playstyle of damage (damage should always have multiple playstyles). There is a vague resemblance of roles in the current skill tree, but there's really no need for them, due to the lack of organized play (both PVP and PVE).

Also I feel like there is the potential for there to be a "spellcaster" role, but due to the level cap, we don't have the options to make it viable. If your build was Vermin Swarm, Brimstone, Fatal Burst, and Hellblade; that would be enough. But the lack of Brimstone really hurts the build, since its low cooldown would help make up for the lack of an actual ranged weapon.