PDA

View Full Version : Age Criteria

WoundedEagle
04-21-2012, 02:29 PM
So, Dark Legends age limit is 17+. Correct, and when you are under 17, can you play the game? Yes, but only with a parent or guardians permission. I am only making this thread, because an under 17 friend of mine was trolled because of his age.

Here is just an example I thought up, that you ALL can relate to:

*Le me walks into gamestop*
Me: Hey dad, here are the games I wanted. They're called Skyrim, and Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Dad: Alright, here is the money, I'll be waiting in the car.
*Le dad travels to car and waits as Le me travels to counter of Gamestop*
Cashier: Unfortunately you must be 17+ to purchase these games.
Me: But my dad said it is okay.
Cashier: Is he here? If you can get him to come in and say its okay, you can purchase them.
*Travels to Le car and gets Le dad*
Dad: My son can purchase these games.
Cashier: *Goes over age limit and so on*
Me: *Purchases games and leaves*

So, I realize I might have gotten carried away, but that is the exact same thing as Dark Legends. As long as you have permission from your Parent/Guardian, you can play.

Thanks for not trolling in advanced,

-WE

javier995
04-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Yea permission is fine, but many can lie about said permission.

I like the age restriction tho, but hey if they want to play we can't stop them.

It's up to the parents.

Good luck to all those who are under 17 and wish to play DL.

undertheradar
04-21-2012, 03:00 PM
This is all fine and dandy, but STS does not have the same rules as the ESRB. In their terms, it clearly stated that you must be the age pertaining to the game

ninjaduck
04-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Doesnt permissions like that reflect bad parenting on the player's side though? I mean... Black Ops for lets say a 12 year old (99% of the COD players nowadays are 13-14) is completely unacceptable. Any thoughts?

WoundedEagle
04-21-2012, 03:23 PM
This is all fine and dandy, but STS does not have the same rules as the ESRB. In their terms, it clearly stated that you must be the age pertaining to the game

STS told me it was fine...

Skeletonlord
04-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I have got games at home on my ps3 that are 17+, and I purchased them with my own money, but my parent was there when we brought them.

Matutd
04-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Doesnt permissions like that reflect bad parenting on the player's side though? I mean... Black Ops for lets say a 12 year old (99% of the COD players nowadays are 13-14) is completely unacceptable. Any thoughts?
I don't see anything wrong. I've been playing the call of duty series since the first game, at which time I was around 7-8ish years old. This hasn't had any affect on my life really. I'm doing well in school, never wanted to shoot a person (like the cod series), and I'm even a member of a gun club. My dad always said to me, if something is done respectably, then it's ok. Some of my friends had rifles and just used to go out and shoot. One day I asked my dad for one, so he told me that I can have one as long as I join a club and learn to shoot responsibly. I'm actually quite a good shot ;P I can hit a 2cm disk from around 25m and even beat a shooting instructor at target shooting at a haven resort haha. What I'm trying to say is that if a person has a hint of intelligence and learns how to do something properly, it shouldn't matter too much if they are playing games/watching films that are deemed inappropriate for younger people. Obviously some things are going to be off limits to underage people, but games/hobbies etc shouldn't matter if somebody knows that the events in games usually show no correlation to real life and that things in games shouldn't be copied in real life (except attempting a double jump :p I admit I tried that one when I was young haha). Even some films that are for younger children show scenes that can be interpreted as wrong for a child. Lion king, for example, shows a scene where one lion kills the other and another lion takes revenge. This doesn't mean it is appropriate to go take revenge on somebody for doing something wrong, as people are encouraged to "tell on a person" if they do something to offend or harm a person.
IMO if a person can realise the difference between real life and movies/games, they are responsible enough to watch/play them.

I have got games at home on my ps3 that are 17+, and I purchased them with my own money, but my parent was there when we brought them.
Nah skel, we're badass ;P Mature games for us are 18+ :p

Elyseon
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Flaw-- not only is DL rated mature, when you play you agree that u are 'over eighteen years of age' so you are not just playing a mature game, youre breaking the Terms of Service of that game

Crunchee
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
When a game is rated 17+, more mature players are expected. Age limits and restrictions are set up because we want to protect underage people from being exposed to contents which are inappropriate to be received at the moment. This is actually a part of Education to the younger generation. If everyone just need to ask for their parents' permissions to access those contents, the whole point of setting up these rules would be lost.

Noobified
04-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I got my parents' permission.

morfic
04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I, (as a father), do not want to curse at and say inappropriate things around kids.

I, (as a prick), cannot stop myself from cursing and saying inappropriate things in a game that allows it.

Yesterday I was playing around with some friends in DL, said some choice words. Then my friend was like, "Dude, he's 14 lol". And then I felt bad.

----

@W.E.: It is in my opinion that, the parents permission thing is great in regards to normal games. But when you throw an 18+ MMO type game.. it's a whole different ball game. It's not just M rated blood/suggestive things at that point. Now you have to worry about other people, who more often than not, cross that rated M boundary.

Wererhino
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
From the Terms of Service:

7. YOUR REPRESENTATION TO SPACETIME As a material inducement to SPACETIME entering into this EULA with you, you represent to SPACETIME that: (i) you are over eighteen (18) years of age, and have the full and unrestricted legal right to enter into agreements; (ii) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. government embargo or has been designated by the U.S. government as a 'terrorist nation'; and (iii) you are not listed on any U.S. government list of prohibited or restricted parties.

Nothing about parental consent in there.

Prestige
04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
You had to make this thread? It was already agreed that the age requirement was at least 17+. Don't say your age if you don't want to be harassed. If you can't take the harassment then you won't be able to handle the amount of profanity within the game. It's as simple as that DON'T SAY YOUR AGE UNLESS YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH...

Noobified
04-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Adult gamers harassing kids. Awesome.

dugantale
04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Adult gamers harassing kids. Awesome.

Haha true that bro, I mean why ruin it, the kids waited just as long as the adults! Go KIDS!! XD

Wererhino
04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
It'd be nice if kids stayed out of DL. I had always thought that people were stupid, but I'm starting to realize that kids make up the majority of the stupid comments/begging I deal with constantly on PL. That's generalizing, sure there are 'some' mature kids out there, but as a rule of thumb: under 18 = I don't want to interact with you.

inb4kidsrage

dugantale
04-21-2012, 06:41 PM
It'd be nice if kids stayed out of DL. I had always thought that people were stupid, but I'm starting to realize that kids make up the majority of the stupid comments/begging I deal with constantly on PL. That's generalizing, sure there are 'some' mature kids out there, but as a rule of thumb: under 18 = I don't want to interact with you.

inb4kidsrage

But theres also alot of really immature adults, just sayin I know quite a few :)

Deathpunch
04-21-2012, 07:52 PM
But theres also alot of really immature adults, just sayin I know quite a few :)

*raises hand*

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Blaquehaaart
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I think it more has to do with the liability from some kid purchasing $1000 of plat on his parents credit card.

dugantale
04-21-2012, 08:01 PM

*raises hand*

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Haha death :)

WoundedEagle
04-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Harassing anyone at any age is bad, no? I don't think age really applies on that situation. The Terms of Service need to be changed then, because a lot of us that are under 17 were told we could play of we had our parent/guardians permission. If I get cussed at or harassed or trolled in a game that allows it, I'm obviously going to do the same thing back. 'When you get pushed, push back harder.' Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Beanmachine
04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Darth Vader on a Charizard. Your Argument is Invalid.