PDA

View Full Version : NPC Followers

Battlegrinder
04-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I was thinking maybe STS could create a system where you could get a NPC follower to help you in the game. You would complete a quest/buy with gold, and then you would get a NPC assistant thematically linked with the game, so PL would be a golem or something, SL could be a robot, and DL could have a ghoul or enthralled human. The follower could then follow you around on missions and attack whatever enemy you are currently attacking. The NPC could be equipped with weapons and equipment from drops just like a normal character. It would be easy it implement, STS would just clone the AI for enemies, change the code so they could use equipment, set it to target enemies instead of you, set it to follow you using the pet code, then either make it equipped as a pet or in a new tab. For balance, the followers will have these rules:
1. No abilities, can only use the items it is given.
2. Can only equip gear that is at same level or lower than the player (can use item from different class).
3. Can equip gear regardless of class or other equipped gear. In SL, you could have a robot with commando armor, an engineer helmet, and duel pistols.
4. Respawns with the player. If it dies before you, it doesn’t revive until you do. If you die before it, it respawns beside you.
5. Cannot be healed. Respawns with full health.
6. Cannot be used in PvP.
7. Levels with the player, gaining health, hit%, crit %, and regen at a similar rate.
8. Cannot get drop or elixirs.
9. Maybe: can carry items other than its equips, acting like a mobile stash.

Beanmachine
04-22-2012, 01:45 AM
So basically pets that do something productive...I LIKE IT!

Battlegrinder
04-22-2012, 10:29 PM
So basically pets that do something productive...I LIKE IT!

Yeah, basically. The idea is based on the NPC followers from Fallout 3, but balanced for an online game.

Bilaxman
04-22-2012, 11:49 PM
This could get complicated but it would be a cool idea. It would be nice to not have to run to the stash to grab something every time. :)

On a side note, your other two threads regarding the same thing will most likely get locked. It is preferred that a thread on the same topic is made only once. (Just a friendly reminder!)

Battlegrinder
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the advice about thread locking. I don't post here often and don't know a lot of things about how the forums work.

undertheradar
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
If STS did implement this idea (which I personally love, btw), that would no doubt make it cost an obscene amount of platinum. The free/paid barrier is already closing in, and the last thing we need is to further the gap. I do however, like the idea.

Mothwing
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
I see...lag.