PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Hunting For Player Lairs!

morfic
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I was brainstorming earlier in the chatbox and thought of (what I feel) is a great addition to DL. Give us the ability to track down and find other players "lair". Find their lair would be an automatic success and we would "beat" the other player. Finding the lair would also give rewards. I think it would awesome to be able to steal 1 or more of that players pending cutscene mission rewards that they have not picked up yet. Or at least just get a portion of XP and gold. Below I will describe the process I envision.

How to hunt down a players lair.

1: To start a hunt for a players lair, we will need to first select that person (or type their name in a field).
2: We then select "Start the hunt!"
3: We are then brought to a map identical to the campaign maps.
4: These maps could have as little as 2-3 cutscene missions, or as many as a normal campaign (depending on player lair upgrades)
5: Attacking player continues the progression of the map as normal with cutscene missions.
6: Attacking player might have to fight through 0-3 3d missions of "guards" the defending player might have placed in the way. (with upgrades).
7. After all missions have been completed successfully (only solo btw), the lair has been found and the attacking player gains whatever rewards he is entitled to.
8. Rewards can be a set amount of XP/Gold depending on upgrades, or the attacker can just "Steal" some or all of the pending cutscene missions rewards the defending player has not picked up.

How to defend your lair from being found.

1: Aside from purchasing all the upgrades you can, there are other ways to "Actively" defend your lair from the hunt.
2: At anytime you are being hunted, you can view the progress of said players. See what mission timers they are waiting on.
3: If you catch it in time, you can do a Counter-Cutscene mission, which reverts their progress.
4. You might even have a "Master" mission, which has an 8 hour timer, but reverts ALL progress of all people attacking your lair, if they don't find you before it's up.
5. etc

Lairs

All players have the option to build/upgrade their lair. Each upgrade would cost a good chunk of resources and be slightly difficult to do. There are also two main upgrade paths. Assault or Defense.

---------

Defense path:

1: First upgrade - 6 energy cutscene defense mission with 10 minute timer.
2: Second upgrade - 6 energy cutscene defense mission with 2 hour timer.
3: Third upgrade - 3 energy 3d mission with easy guards.
4: Fourth upgrade - 2 of your pending mission rewards are safe from being stolen.
4: etc
5: etc

Also, at some point in the defense path, players can upgrade passive defenses. Aka: Upgrading to medium or tough guards in their 3d missions, or increasing the timers on all missions blocking their lair.

---------

Assault path:

1: First upgrade - can hunt for players lairs
2: Second upgrade - can breach tier 3 defenses (someone without this upgrade has no chance at finding someone's lair with too much defensive upgrades)
3: Third upgrade - Gains a chance to steal pending mission rewards from defending player.
4: Fourth upgrade - Can hunt for 2 players lairs at once.
5: Fifth Upgrade - Gains a higher chance to steal pending mission rewards from defending player.

---------

I think that this would be another great way for people at level cap to use energy. It would promote activity even after content is done. And it would promote content for those who do not enjoy traditional PvP. It also adds a fun element to hording cutscene missions. There's a risk of losing them.

Also, this adds a new stat to track/leaderboard statistic. How many times you've found a players lair, and how many times you have lost your lair.

bronislav84
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Good, as long as there's an opt out checkbox somewhere for people who can't play 24/7 to check who's hunting them. Come on it's got the energy mechanic like Mafia Wars, but please don't turn this into an offline gank-fest. That's exactly why I finally quit that game and just get free stat points.

morfic
04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Good, as long as there's an opt out checkbox somewhere for people who can't play 24/7 to check who's hunting them. Come on it's got the energy mechanic like Mafia Wars, but please don't turn this into an offline gank-fest. That's exactly why I finally quit that game and just get free stat points.

What real harm is done, even if you do get your lair found? Its basically only benefiting the attacker. They get a set amount of XP/Gold, and HOPEFULLY they might be able to steal a cutscene mission or two from you. Not really a huge loss, and it would promote people to play more.

Shuri
04-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I like it! +1 morf.

Also I think it should be in because the way I see the game (Right now that is lv20 with almost all maps unlocked) it would be a great addition considering once you get all Vanity items and complete your 'gem' build there really isn't much point in earning cash, However if this was implemented and the function to use said cash and energy + timers to upgrade the 'lair' it would make cash farming more worthwhile as I honestly see no point in having cash endgame so I usually give it to anyone who needs help. That's just my thought(s) however. Also it gives us end-gamers something to bust our energy on as I usually bust it on timers for cash and usually I go for the 9 hour - 12 hour & 1day ones, lol.

Other than that, I'll sit in the club with 25/25 energy just talking to people and answering others questions >.<

Whoopsie1337
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I personally think that any effort in developement to it would be better spent elsewhere. Erase all your suggestive points and just replace with having a personal lair which you can add decor, storage, particular items that give buffs and in whic you can invite players in to visit. Nothing more.

Cahaun
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
If that was to ever happen, me and Lowlyspy will have a little fun as friendly enemies that are friendly ;)

bronislav84
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Morf I'm not bashing the idea just saying if people want out they should be allowed. Stealing time spent waiting for timer missions to finish is de-benefiting the one it's stolen from.

It really isn't a bad suggestion.

morfic
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I understood. But at the same time, that would limit the function in itself, because almost everyone would opt out when they are hording mission rewards. With adequate upgrading, you could safeguard so many rewards.

Of course the function of stealing cutscene mission rewards doesnt have to be a part of it at all, just something I thought would be fun. And if it was designed right, maybe not that many people would opt out. So who knows.

bronislav84
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
That is all true.

Really if they make it fair the opt out wouldn't really be needed I guess.

dudetus
04-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Speedos? :o

n00b13st
04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
This would be interesting but I'd want a couple of changes:

1. You should not be able to really steal anything from the other player. That leads to a grossly unfair "ganging up" option that can ruin the game for the targets. Imagine "Sparkling Pwnies" all attacking you 24x7 and you never get a passive mission completed again.

2. It should be an insanely hard "elite" mission and you actually have to fight the target vampire, as a realistically played NPC, in the final 3d battle.

Done that way it could be a fun and challenging new element of the game.