PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with players that drop out of matches?

Ripper McGee
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
As before, this has been discussed in general threads, but it really deserves its own topic, IMO. How should drop outs be dealt with? They can dramatically alter the outcome of a match. Some players drop out for legitimate reasons, such as losing connection, phone dying, etc... but others leave out of spite, because they're losing, to deliberately throw a match, etc... So, how can they be dealt with in a way that doesn't penalize players that drop for legitimate reasons or teams who suffer because of their loss?

I'd like to see penalties applied to players who drop matches "frequently", meaning those players who've accumulated a count that exceeds some predetermined threshold for having dropped matches previously. Players with frequent genuine connectivity issues should realize at some point that PvP may not be for them if they can't stay connected, but players that continue to abuse the system will be rightly penalized. That penalty might be negative energy, for example, but it would have to be banked so it could be applied if the player was already at 0 energy when entering the match (as many of us do).

Something else that could be done is to modify the "leave this mission" screen to include something along the lines of "if you leave this match, you won't be able to perform any other activities until the match is over", which would stop players from leaving to do other game tasks. It won't stop players logging, though, so their needs to be a second option, such as "leaving this match will cost you X <insert gold or experience or a penalty to earning gold/experience for a duration equaling the continued duration of this match...>". Why gold or experience? Because energy can be replaced by logging for a few hours, but gold and experience can't be... Likewise, if a player drops a match that continues for another 20 minutes after they leave then slap that player with a in-game penalty (meaning it doesn't go away while logged out) that limits or prevents them from earning gold/experience for that same duration. Please note, once again, this is only for the most egregious offenders who've passed some predetermined threshold for dropping matches. We don't want to unnecessarily penalize players with legitimate connectivity issues or newbies who log out after being one-shot by somebody more experienced.

Thoughts?

Growwle
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Just make is so your kills do not count unless you complete the match, problem solved.

ckjuicyj82
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
It's just a game, and I'm pretty sure if you leave a game in progress you get an extra death on your counter. If the person wants to leave the game, then let him leave....whether it be he's not having fun, has to take a call, connection issues, has something to do in real life, doesn't like the unfair teams, etc. You seem pretty heated about penalizing someone for simply leaving a game. You aren't obligated to stay.

Jugernugetx
04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
If someone leaves, then... it doesn't matter just keep going.

Growwle
04-24-2012, 04:24 PM

It does matter since most of the time, it causes the teams to become unbalanced.

Ripper McGee
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Just make is so your kills do not count unless you complete the match, problem solved.

Kills really only matter to those who complete matches, anyway, so I'm not sure this would deter players from quitting matches.

It's just a game, and I'm pretty sure if you leave a game in progress you get an extra death on your counter. If the person wants to leave the game, then let him leave....whether it be he's not having fun, has to take a call, connection issues, has something to do in real life, doesn't like the unfair teams, etc. You seem pretty heated about penalizing someone for simply leaving a game. You aren't obligated to stay.

I'm not heated about it, but it is a legitimate issues, as far as I'm concerned. "It's just a game"? You could apply that to all of Dark Legends! Games are played for fun and the point of PvP is to win matches. When players leave games, it can dramatically alter the outcome and the fun. If the game isn't fun anymore due to legitimate mechanics issues then those need to be addressed.

It does matter, because it can dramatically affect the outcome of a match.

Aculeas
04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
LoL, who cares...

It's a vijah game.

Odemus
04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
When guilds are implemented I plan on either joining or starting one that is primarily PvP focused. That's when CTF will get exciting.

Blaquehaaart
04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Form a premade team of people you like playing with. You can work on strats and coordinated game play.

You'll roll all other teams, with the exception of better premades.

Eh, I intended to do serious pvp in this game, like joining or making a hardcore endgame pvp guild. However, the cost of equipment to stay competitive in pvp would be absurd.

I decided to play the game out till I use all my plat and my current gear goes obsolete. After which, I may move on to D3 or do another one of my many hobbies.

I don't think there is any worth while end game play with the current gearing system.

Staryknight
04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
I think we should add wins and losses to the statistics. If you leave after the match starts you get two losses and if you suck it up and stay you only get one if your team loses. This would help encourage players to stay in matches without too much of a penalty for those who leave due to lag. Also it might encourage some teamwork instead of having players who only care about their own stats.

I would never want to see some sort of energy/xp/gold pentalty. PvP needs to stay in the arena and any sort of "pentalty" should only affect your stats there. Although people leaving is an issue, overall I think it balances out. When you get to end game and have a set of 10 good players those matches get long. Not everyone can stay for the whole match. People leave and new people come in. Just be aware of how many players each side has and adjust your game play accordingly. I've had lots of fun playing defense while it was 3v5 and you will get your kills back in a later match when it's 5v3.

Blackheart
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I hate when people leave or switch sides. But my tablet sometimes freezes or on a few occasions, I got knocked out of the game, either from disconnection or from some force close. So I wouldn't want to be penalized for something that isn't my fault.

Ripper McGee
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I hate when people leave or switch sides. But my tablet sometimes freezes or on a few occasions, I got knocked out of the game, either from disconnection or from some force close. So I wouldn't want to be penalized for something that isn't my fault.

I wouldn't want you to be penalized, either. Then again, if it happens so often that you pass a pre-determined number of drop-outs that would be otherwise reasonable within a specified period of time then your system might not be well suited for PvP. At that point, it becomes a matter of free will. If you know you've surpassed the threshold and there's a good chance of further inadvertent drop outs are you willing to take the chance and continue PvP or suffer the consequences?

Elyseon
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Just laugh, its no big deal, they added a death for them, i think thats enough

Ripper McGee
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Just laugh, its no big deal, they added a death for them, i think thats enough

I PvP for fun and for the challenge. When players leave, causing the match to become horribly unbalanced (either for or against my team) it's not fun anymore. It's frustrating. Affecting other players fun in a game, and the time they spend in it, is a pretty big deal. Should rewards ever be added for PvP it'll be an even bigger deal.

Why does the death matter for them at all? Chances are the players who leave matches on a regular basis don't care about that kind of thing anyway. It essentially does nothing.

Elyseon
04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
It's frustrating.
Maybe thats what they want, ur just feeding them
lol imo its frustrating when i lose in pvp
But i dont come complaining that some people are better than me, i get over it, do what u will, but when u stop caring, u will realize how unimportant it is

Ripper McGee
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Maybe thats what they want, ur just feeding them
lol imo its frustrating when i lose in pvp
But i dont come complaining that some people are better than me, i get over it, do what u will, but when u stop caring, u will realize how unimportant it is

Providing feedback and suggestions isn't "complaining". It's constructive criticism in an attempt to make the game better. I get that some players deliberate quit matches in an attempt to essentially grief others. I'd like to see the game deter that through design.

Also, the comment about people being "better than me" is simply trolling, since that's never been a concern raised in this thread and has nothing to do with the points I've made.

If you have anything constructive to add to the discussion, please do.

Elyseon
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Actually i said better than me
And if u read it in context it related to your point

Elysony
04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Providing feedback and suggestions isn't "complaining". It's constructive criticism in an attempt to make the game better. I get that some players deliberate quit matches in an attempt to essentially grief others. I'd like to see the game deter that through design.

Also, the comment about people being "better than me" is simply trolling, since that's never been a concern raised in this thread and has nothing to do with the points I've made.

If you have anything constructive to add to the discussion, please do.
Lol...if you would read what you just posted you would realize he is being constructive.