PDA

View Full Version : A Remark in Regards to the Current Forum Attitude

NECROREAPER
04-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Aloha everyone,

In wake of the current trend of making "troll posts/threads" and useless "guides" being posted by rep hungry members, I thought it would be a good time to try and get most of you to reflect upon what the forums truly have become.

Yes, we are unhappy.

To "guide" makers:

Be mindful of what you're doing. As Parth (Apollo) has stated in one of his most recent threads, is it necessary to make a "guide" on the information you're covering. A quick search of the forum will warrant a plethora of guides; legitimate, well thought out, well constructed, and most importantly USEFUL guides will pop up. If you MUST make a guide on something, use those guides as a reference as to what a useful guide should look like and encompass.

By creating all these, for lack of a better word, crap guides, its not only making yourself look bad, but its also putting the forums in turmoil, so much so that even the Devs have taken notice and started locking said threads.

REP MEANS NOTHING

Remember this because yes, you're getting rep from the "guides," but no, its not gonna show up in the little green bars under your name, and no, its not the kind of rep you want.
Remember, not everything needs a guide, and what may 'need' a guide may already have one. Dont fix somthing if it aint broke.

To People who are upset with the forums:

To be completely honest, I am in this group. I understand how you're feeling, I understand the frustration of seeing rep mongers destroying the forum with their useless banter. HOWEVER, WE are contributing to the current decline of the forums by making (pardon my language) wise a** remarks about these useless "guides." By being so negative about the guides its dragging the whole forums down, making it a less than desirable place for everyone, players and devs alike.

Im sure the Devs haven't been too happy with how we've been posting, which is fine since we are entitled to post our opinions, but as I'm sure most have you have noticed, there has been a massive increase in locked threads and bans.

So what can we do?

Again to be competely honest, I'm not entirely sure. I know that I have made many, many good friends on this forum and in game and NO amount of useless junk going on would keep me from having fun and enjoying myself with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, the forums are a different place, but the friends we've made are still the same.

Sorry for such a long post guys, but I think its something that needed to be said to help quell the negativity thats been taking over the forums as of late.

This is our game and our forum, lets make it better and lets have fun doing it.

Swimmingstar
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
We could just move along, there's no need to post anything bad. If you're thinking about posting something negative, don't, just move along. Ignore things you think are useless.

iBLaCKOuTzxX
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Well said swimming!

Elyseon
04-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I thought this was an all time high? :O
But maybe thats just for us trolls...

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/ThePhantomCow/20120331-233012.jpg

Growwle
04-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Many times the truth is negative and not what we want to hear. Some of the "useless" guides may have been made by people who had good intentions, but not the knowledge or experience to make a proper guide. Yes there will always be people who try to be "funny," "shocking," "offensive," or whatever, just to get attention. My posts are generally not meant to be offensive, but I do enjoy debating ideas that I feel differently about. I could not care less (yes, I am one of the few Americans who use that phrase correctly), whether people like my posts, or what my rep is.

Carth
04-25-2012, 01:38 AM
I could not care less (yes, I am one of the few Americans who use that phrase correctly)

Lol, thank you! :p

Anyway, just wanted to say that I agree with both Necro and Swim. If we just ignore the guides and members who crave rep and wanting to be known, we can at least get past this guide issue for now. The forums still has many issues but one less problem to worry about will be easier on all of us.

I think the previous forum issue we had was about the quality of threads? Not sure anymore. Guide issue really took over. *_*

Zeus
04-25-2012, 02:05 AM
These are the types of threads that we need. Instead of lamenting on the situation at hand, people are presenting ways to fix it. Excellent post, Necro.

dudetus
04-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Indeed this is an excellent post.

We have a problem at this moment and they are the bad guides. I am not generally a trollish person but I found myself making sort of trollguides and trollanswers. Even though I take the responsibility of doing them, my intentions were good. I was trying to give the guidemakers a straightforward message but it was the wrong way.

These types of threads are what we need. Keep up the good work Necro.

Appleisaac
04-25-2012, 05:45 AM
The only thing more annoying then a useless guide is 5 or 6 threads about not making useless guides :-P. I understand this was with good intentions, but if I see another thread like this I'm going to explode >_<

Otukura
04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I could not care less (yes, I am one of the few Americans who use that phrase correctly), whether people like my posts, or what my rep is.

It's just lost in our accent :D

Growwle
04-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I could not care less (yes, I am one of the few Americans who use that phrase correctly), whether people like my posts, or what my rep is.

It's just lost in our accent :D

I would like to believe that, but from my experiences it seems that many people do not understand that omitting "not" means that there are things that they do care less about.

RedRyder
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Already called the forums fall (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54573-The-dwindling-STS-forums), so I agree with you. I don't think the forums will ever be as it once was :/.

Otukura
04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I would like to believe that, but from my experiences it seems that many people do not understand that omitting "not" means that there are things that they do care less about.

Well, maybe it's just me.

When I say it, it sounds something like I "couldn" care less.

Sryyoulose
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Group effort to be able to
Kill rep! Or atleast hide your own.

NECROREAPER
04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
We could just move along, there's no need to post anything bad. If you're thinking about posting something negative, don't, just move along. Ignore things you think are useless.

Ignoring a problem doesn't remove it, as in the case with all the "guides" and post boosting.

We need to proactively make changes that benefit the community.

Elyseon
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Ignoring a problem doesn't remove it, as in the case with all the "guides" and post boosting.

'Theres a serial killer, killing everyone in towne!'

'Ah, let's just ignore him'

'Ignore yeh'

'Let's do it'

*last words said in the Towne of Ignorance*

Swimmingstar
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Well these people want thanks, right? Or want attention. If you just ignore that, they won't get what they want, and they'll most likely quit trying.

NECROREAPER
04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Well these people want thanks, right? Or want attention. If you just ignore that, they won't get what they want, and they'll most likely quit trying.

True, but as we've seen some are still as persistent as ever.

Case by case I suppose.

Roc
04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Already called the forums fall (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?54573-The-dwindling-STS-forums), so I agree with you. I don't think the forums will ever be as it once was :/.

Which is why I'm happy to see threads like this which further bring it to attention and hope to remedy it, just as your thread did :) I don't want people to be overly nostalgic though as, even though some of the old crowd is gone (I may not have posted a lot, but I WAS watching when I joined lol), there are some good new people too who we should work with. We'll make something contemporary to be content with and one day be nostalgic about ;)

Noobified
04-26-2012, 02:01 AM
You cannot assume that people know they are writing crap guides. Just because they are not up to your standards for whatever reason, you shouldn't label them as rep mongers. Some people want to contribute to the forums but may not have the composition skills to produce a helpful guide. So what? Don't read it, don't comment or just don't do anything. If you want to help, send them a PM and offer suggestions on how to create a more helpful guide. You're suggesting that they use the "legitimate" guides on the forum as templates for their own, but who are you to determine what is legitimate and what is not? To each his own.

Now, I am aware that there are some people out there that know they're making crap guides just to get rep points. Again, so what? Why do you care so much? Does it bother you that much to just ignore a thread? You're upset. Sorry to hear. This is a public forum. Leave people to post to their heart's content as long as it's not violating forum rules. Otherwise, the mods can add a rule that all guides are subject to review so that none of you "guide experts" are bothered or inconvenienced.

P.S. Before anyone gets upset, I don't really care about this topic. I just like to show different viewpoints. :)

Elyseon
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
After u tell them on three guides in a row they should get the idea

undertheradar
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Let me tell you a story about a young man named Sam. Sam was a good boy, and he never ever (ever) went against his parents wishes. But one day, his father told him to do his homework. Sam did not feel like doing his homework, so he finally rebelled. Now an important fact to note would be that Sam's parents absolutely hated video games and anything to do with them. So Sam decided to become a video game developer, against his family's wishes. And thus, Samhayne came to be.

Anyway, blah blah blah rep is bad ect.

Samhayne
04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Necro,

In part, I replied to your thread here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?56435-Ahh-Forums-How-I-love-Thee-and-How-You-ve-Grown!

Elyseon
04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Let me tell you a story about a young man named Sam. Sam was a good boy, and he never ever (ever) went against his parents wishes. But one day, his father told him to do his homework. Sam did not feel like doing his homework, so he finally rebelled. Now an important fact to note would be that Sam's parents absolutely hated video games and anything to do with them. So Sam decided to become a video game developer, against his family's wishes. And thus, Samhayne came to be.

Anyway, blah blah blah rep is bad ect.
???? o_O

Snakespeare
04-26-2012, 01:26 PM
My opinion is:

It's Sam's job. He's getting paid. He should trash any crap guides.

Sam, love ya lots, but in this case I think you have to do it yourself. Get out the axe and start choppin'.

Samhayne
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
My opinion is:

Sam, love ya lots, but in this case I think you have to do it yourself. Get out the axe and start choppin'.

If there is a guide you feel is not worthy, please let us know via ye olde report button (or drop me a PM if you prefer). Thanks! I gots tha axe ready ;)

Snakespeare
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
If there is a guide you feel is not worthy, please let us know via ye olde report button (or drop me a PM if you prefer). Thanks! I gots tha axe ready ;)

Awesome! Let's do it!

Deathpunch
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

And I've felt its bite! Lol! Can I keep this one, Sam!? This my third attempt at post 1000. ;)

-----
Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Elyseon
04-26-2012, 03:43 PM
My opinion is:

Whoa i just realized i can report on mobile app :D