PDA

View Full Version : Fix for rep.

undertheradar
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Ok, hear me out. Lately, people have been saying "Let's get rid of rep completely!", "No more rep". Obviously, this way of dealing with the situation is neither practial nor realistic. However; what if we find a way to simply reduce the effect rep has on people, or simply only use it for certain things? For example, what if we allow people to only thank threads that are in the guide section, or only show "X has thanked you" but it does not add any rep points? We can use this as a suggestion thread, so feel free to voice your opinion if you have an idea on how to end the new "rep craze".

undertheradar
04-26-2012, 09:05 AM
*Reserved*

Samhayne
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi undertheradar,

Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts. Here at Spacetime Headquaters, we have talked a good bit about the forum reputation system. The thing that sticks with us is that it doesn't serve any tangible benefit. People just feel that they get something out of it. For that reason alone, we don't feel the possible negative impact (people creating "fluff" posts in an attempt to gain reputation) outweighs the positive of people honestly enjoying other's posts and having a way to express that enjoyment.

If anything, you can help us out by using the Report Post button to notify our Moderation Team of posts you feel are "fluff" or otherwise not in line with the forum rules, or just something you want to correspond with us about. The fluff is pretty easily dealt with, allowing us to get back to the meat of the forums - talking about Spacetime Games!

undertheradar
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi undertheradar,

Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts. Here at Spacetime Headquaters, we have talked a good bit about the forum reputation system. The thing that sticks with us is that it doesn't serve any tangible benefit. People just feel that they get something out of it. For that reason alone, we don't feel the possible negative impact (people creating "fluff" posts in an attempt to gain reputation) outweighs the positive of people honestly enjoying other's posts and having a way to express that enjoyment.

If anything, you can help us out by using the Report Post button to notify our Moderation Team of posts you feel are "fluff" or otherwise not in line with the forum rules, or just something you want to correspond with us about. The fluff is pretty easily dealt with, allowing us to get back to the meat of the forums - talking about Spacetime Games!

Will do.

wvhills
04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
^^^
u hurt fluffnstuffs feelings sam saying he's easy to deal with . :(

Walkhardd
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I personally enjoy fluff's posts more often than not.

ninjaduck
04-26-2012, 10:29 AM
One problem I find is that people are overestimating the "power" of the repott button. Maybe if you were to rename it to something people wouldnt think "hmm if I press this button that guy will be banned".

undertheradar
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
One problem I find is that people are overestimating the "power" of the repott button. Maybe if you were to rename it to something people wouldnt think "hmm if I press this button that guy will be banned".

Something like "flag" perhaps? I see what you mean.

ninjaduck
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Something like "flag" perhaps? I see what you mean.

No, rename it to "downvote" but make it so neither the poster or other forumers see that you have downvoted it, only moderators can see them, and take needed action.