PDA

View Full Version : Point of "reserved"?

RedRyder
05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
To my knowledge, there isn't a cap to the amount of entrants for any contest, nor has there ever been one. So my question is, whats the point of commenting on a contest thread with "reserved"? Again to my knowledge, how much sooner your entry is than anyone else's does not boost your winning chance.

75% of these reserves never include content before the deadline of the contest. It's just a waste of space imo.
Anyone feel like enlightening me?

Viable Reasons:

• to let people know youre participating
• to intimidate others into not participating by the number of "reserved" participants
• to remind oneself to enter the comp.

WoundedEagle
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Because in some peoples minds, STS only checks the first page for entries. Haha

FluffNStuff
05-02-2012, 02:10 PM
If it was a player judged contest, that would be extremely important. Luckily, the Dev's can find the next page button ;)

KingFu
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Reserved for my input on this topic.

(I don't get it either)

StompArtist
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
~Reserved for future answer that will look like I replied really really fast~

EDIT: Ninja'd!!!

Petrichor
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I did it for motivation so I won't be lazy :o Never have I ever entered a contest before

morfic
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Reserved so people say..

"Ohhhhh SNAP! Morfic is entering.. we lost"

RedRyder
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I did it for motivation so I won't be lazy :o Never have I ever entered a contest before

You're a first timer it's ok :p but it's the Same people that do it and never actually make an entry.

RedRyder
05-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Reserved so people say..

"Ohhhhh SNAP! Morfic is entering.. we lost"

Reserving to let someone know that you're participating? That's actually a good reason.

But not when they actually never post a thing past that :p

KingFu
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Reserving to let someone know that you're participating? That's actually a good reason.

But not when they actually never post a thing past that :p

So people will see all the competition and be discouraged to enter thus leading to less competition? As for those who don't even enter, they may have gotten discouraged themselves my seeing all the people saying "Reserved" after they did?

RedRyder
05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
So people will see all the competition and be discouraged to enter thus leading to less competition? As for those who don't even enter, they may have gotten discouraged themselves my seeing all the people saying "Reserved" after they did?

Another good one, but I doubt that's their reasoning. I'm making a list!

Swimmingstar
05-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I make a post to remind me to put an entry in it.

RedRyder
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I make a post to remind me to put an entry in it.

If that's the case, almost everyone still forgets.

Swimmingstar
05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
If that's the case, almost everyone still forgets.

If I don't post "reserved" I don't feel as pressurized to enter lol.

Mitchturbo
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah I dont think reserved should he a viable post lol XD you either enter your picture or you don't, fair enough lol

Noodleleg
05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Well... Red... We were made to have the capacity to be bored. After awhile, we get bored and things that actually look good...don't look as great as if it were happy day. After 10 pages of entries, wouldn't you be like urghhhh let's just pick something already! But hey, I hope Sam looks at all entries equal =)
By the way... How do you draw with FINGERRSSS... I failed miserably lol!

Otukura
05-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Poast booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooster.

Lowlyspy
05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
I just look at it as people might be a bit busy at the moment but may want people to know they are entering. Idk, is it really something to quibble over? Reminds me of the whole "IB4L" debacle :/

Suntv
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Perhaps it's those participants that just wait to see most other designs, then steal an idea, then make a similar one and claim they were first? But yea it's useless. They might as well say; "oh cool, I'm participating" and later on change it to their subscription.

Elyseon
05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Well for me im to lazy to go through whole thread to find my post, so why not throw it at the beginning and then go draw it and post it up 5 mins later :D

Also writing reserved is kinda fun its like ur powered up into Invincibility Forum Mode
>8D

Oh i guess this doesnt really relate, u meant the people that dont actually post stuff
I assume they see others doing it and are like 'cool a contest i throw something together later' but then they forget
Yeh its a bit annoying but I cant do anything about it so why care

RedRyder
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Perhaps it's those participants that just wait to see most other designs, then steal an idea, then make a similar one and claim they were first? But yea it's useless. They might as well say; "oh cool, I'm participating" and later on change it to their subscription.

That might be it, but the time that they edited the post does show up. I like posting my idea as soon as possible before someone else has the same one. If anyone's noticed, I've gone as far as posting a really rough sketch in the meantime. As opposed to just writing reserved, I'm actually reserving my idea before I even build on it.

WoundedEagle
05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Poast booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooster.

You spelled Post wrong.

Zaltiar
05-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I will apologize in advance if my "reserved" post on the humania design contest might have been a "waste of space" :) guess I'll try to explain my point of view.
Maybe, Red, you've taken a more negative view of these types of posts. For some it may be more of a "hey, watch this space!" kind of thing, at least for me, as they might have a work in progress regarding their entry, but have not yet finished. Have you ever seen movie trailers? heh, yep it kinda gets you waiting for that day when it finally releases. *Note that I am not stating each "Reserved" post turns out to be a masterpiece of some kind. (talk about those crap movies with awesome trailers).

I don't necessarily agree with it being a waste of space either, I mean, on a forum, I would think that is the least of anyone's worries. Who cares if they've put up a reserved post? Its the least of my worries if they end up posting up nothing at the end (heck I'm guilty of that a few....scratch that, numerous times). Less entries, more chances of winning ;). It is true that some of them (I don't know where you got your figures from :0) end up posting zilch, but we do not know their situation. Who are we to put them down for adding a comment on the thread? Putting up a 'reserved' post, does not immediately mean they have to post up something either. Let's say person A posts up a "reserved" comment on a contest thread, that person in no way has fallen into some legally binding forum contract that states he/she will and must post up an entry in the future. I would more than understand if they had real life issues that stopped them from working on their entry, and has stated so on the thread. But hey, this forum isn't a relationship where I have a right to know exactly when they will post and why they haven't, I haven't been seeing other forums trust me!. Unless I know that person personally (I'd probably be worried sick nothing bad has happened) If posting to gain attention is such a big forum no-no, let's talk about internet trolls. Please enlighten me, why is that such a normal part of a forum and not a waste of space? *gasp* *sacré bleu!!!*. yes, regarded some are lightly humorous, but more often than not, its one too many of a post not needed. I am not saying that every troll post is annoying, and am not stating reserved posts and troll posts fall into the same category, but isn't troll posts at least at some level trying to gain attention/intimidate the original poster?

Let's think of reserved posts in another way. Okay, assuming they have put them up as a way to 'intimidate' someone else, that only encourages competition. Which in my point of view is sometimes a good thing. If others see this as a threat, it pushes them to put up their best-to-their-ability entries. These people who feel as so are probably the more serious participants, it could even set the more serious entries apart from the norm. Also, at the end of the day, yes you are correct, how fast you enter does not boost your chances of winning, it is the contest judges. Then, so what's a lil comment? :)
Reserved posts could also act as catalysts for other members of the forum to participate, they may be afraid to take that initiative to enter the contest. For example, some may be sceptical at first if they should even waste their time putting up an entry, but if they see a reserved post, it could possibly trigger them to enter as the 'reserver' might have already started work on his/her entry. Unless the contest (assuming an art contest) is a stick figure contest, competition isn't always a bad thing :), just like a business (wth), if you want to beat your competitors, you'll have to create a product that will be better than theirs.

Bottom line,
- Try not to think too much of these types of posts.
- Who cares if they comment 'reserved' then not post up anything later?, If comments that do not specifically relate to the competition entry are a waste of space, no one should bother commenting in the first place, the thread author should have a locked thread, and entries should be sent as a pm to him/her.
- Not everyone who reserve post are trying to intimidate others.
- Tis a forum, forumers are humans, they have real life issues, thus they may not be able to always deliver their entries.
- If you think of it as so @^, competition isn't always a bad thing.
- Do try to be more understanding and less judgemental, take those posts with a grain of salt. (that goes for many of the threads I see popping up these days)
- Just..have fun. It's not a life or death situation, unless....nahhhh

If it really annoys some forumers, don't take it to heart guys!. It's a contest, and alls in fun's name.
And if it still haunts you throughout the day, do something else that's fun to take your thought off of it.
Ignorance is bliss.

I think that was enough procrastinating from my marketing/accounting uni projects for today,
Your fellow artist. Zal

Otukura
05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
You spelled Post wrong.

Purrpoase mispelling is on purrpoase.

Swimmingstar
05-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Reserved.

Obvious reserve is obvious.

P.S. Obveeus misspeller iz obveeus.

RedRyder
05-06-2012, 03:28 PM
@zaltiar, I understand :). My thread was mainly in reference to those that reserve without actually posting an entry ever. When I did my reserves, I had the concept of my entry drawn out in it. After I completed it, I deleted the reserve and made a new post with my entry.