PDA

View Full Version : Need help with aggro

Maydied
05-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Hi, am playing for few days and still wondering what will give me most aggro (pure tanking bear). Swords and axes have very low damage and dps compared to maces, so am using mace - is that right? values say so. Guildmate helped me with combos and how to use skills properly. But he couldn't say me what matters more: overall dps (calculated in character stats) or damage. I think it should be damage, as skills are calculating with damage not dps. Imo dps matters only for autoattack here, that won't really help me with aggro in group of mobs. I was playing tank for 3 years in different mmo, but calculating of skills is quite different.
I would appreciate if some experienced player could answer my questions.

Cahaun
05-04-2012, 05:09 AM
I'd use the skills: Taunt, stomp, and beckon to aggro effectively. Because you are trying to get their attention, I'd have high armor to survive the mobs.

Maydied
05-04-2012, 05:29 AM
sure, but I was mainly asking about damage and dps. To make it clear: does dps affect power of skills?

For example I have two maces now. One with low damage and high dps (cause of speed) and second one is low dps and higher damage - so which one is better?

okakabarah
05-04-2012, 05:39 AM
If u wanna know How your weapon affect to your skills just equip it, check skills and then compare :)

Hope it helps

Swampy
05-04-2012, 05:42 AM
sure, but I was mainly asking about damage and dps. To make it clear: does dps affect power of skills?

For example I have two maces now. One with low damage and high dps (cause of speed) and second one is low dps and higher damage - so which one is better?
Go with the mace with higher damage. I personally don't like to use 2h weapons because you sacrifice your armor.

NECROREAPER
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Go with the one with higher base damage. DPS doesn't take enemy armor into account, so in reality you won't be doing much.

Total damage is calculated on:

Base damage - Enemy armor = total damage out put on target

Say the enemy armor is 100 and you have a DPS of 290 but your base damage is 120. You'd really only be doing 20 damage per hit, regardless of how high your DPS is because of how high the enemy armor is.

Now say the enemy has the same 100 armor, but now you have 210 DPS and a base of 190. You'd now be doing 90 damage per hit rather than just 20, albeit at a slower rate because of slower weapon speed.

Hope this wasn't too confusing :/

Of course there are other factors suchs as buffs, procs, and combos, but thats besides the point.

Appleisaac
05-04-2012, 10:09 PM
1-Honestly, I think that if you want to be a good tank/leader bear, you should invest a few points in dex. You will have quite a bit of trouble crowd controlling if you don't have the hit% that comes with dex. You might be able to take in more damage with str;however, not enough of your attacks will hit for you to maintain arrgo for long.

2- DPS vs DMG has a lot to do with preference when it comes to tank bears. I perfect DMG over DPS; however, you may want to take into account that most weapons with high DMG are two handed. Because of this, you will lose your shield and much of your tanking power.

NECROREAPER
05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
1-Honestly, I think that if you want to be a good tank/leader bear, you should invest a few points in dex. You will have quite a bit of trouble crowd controlling if you don't have the hit% that comes with dex. You might be able to take in more damage with str;however, not enough of your attacks will hit for you to maintain arrgo for long.

2- DPS vs DMG has a lot to do with preference when it comes to tank bears. I perfect DMG over DPS; however, you may want to take into account that most weapons with high DMG are two handed. Because of this, you will lose your shield and much of your tanking power.

Not exactly ;). I do fine with out a shield, better than most bears with one actually!

Appleisaac
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Not exactly ;). I do fine with out a shield, better than most bears with one actually!

Not doubting your skill necro, just doubting mine ;)