PDA

View Full Version : More customization! Different races and skin tones!!!

Yakuza
05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Every character in the game looks identical. If the game is all about customizing, I don't understand why this option wasn't applied to the game at launch,. Star Legends doesn't emphasize on character customization, yet players can choose different skin tones. How difficult is it to apply the option to change skin tones? Customization is much more important than a fountain, or a pvp mode or any other recent update.

Let's just ignore the importance of racial diversity and just make a game with Caucasian vampires and forget the fact that there are Hispanic, African-American and other minorities in the vampire community that exist in mainstream and popular culture.

I wish the developers would take the concept of racial diversity into consideration like the other American MMOs. Even Asian MMOs give players the option to choose different skin tones, whether if the game is being release outside of their country or not. I don't understand why Spacetime can't do the same, it would make the game so much more interesting.

Rare
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
There's another idea... present ideas without sounding so aggressive. I guarantee more people will listen.

I agree with you, and I hope its something STS will look at, but you're coming across the wrong way.

Mrsberry
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Its a great idea I would love this.
But yes you do seem very aggravated im sure sts will implament this in futre updates. idk if youve played Star Legends but they have the skin color feature. DL is still a pretty new game give them time.

Why so seriouse?

plmafiaboss
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Its a great idea I would love this.
But yes you do seem very aggravated im sure sts will implament this in futre updates. idk if youve played Star Legends but they have the skin color feature. DL is still a pretty new game give them time.

Why so seriouse?lol he said in the original post that star legends has it.aaanyways As the Puerto rican I just so happen to be I like this idea

MonolithEffect
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I understand your frustration, I wanted to make a bald black vampire, like Blade. I was disappointed with the lack of customization too. I think the character creation was half-assed, but I think it will remain the same, because that means players will have to go back and change their character's appearance. I have yet to play an MMO with half-assed character customization only to be updated over time. I hope Spacetime will look into it.

xChilla
05-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't think Yakuza's question is too aggressive.. despite his name being 'yakuza' lol... Anyways, I completely agree. I would love having more customization, who wouldn't??

And honestly, I'm wondering why this doesn't bother more people... The whole world is not white!! I know it's just a game, and it doesn't bother me all that much, but for a game that's played by such a diverse group of people I think the game makers should be more considerate and have more options.

Especially hair options.. I wish there were different colors in addition to different skin tones.

Xaphan Fox
05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
*hands OP some pudding*

Sounds like you needed it...

Skeokateva
05-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Skin tone would be sweet, as DL is all about outfits and character customization;)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Yakuza
05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Yes. I am very upset about the issue. I've been keeping up with this game long before it launched. The interviews, the developers and the descriptions emphasized the importance of "CUSTOMIZATION" and "CREATE" your own vampire, choosing a "VARIETY" of clothing, which hyped my interest in the game. But the aspects aforementioned lacks more than anything else in the game.

This is a MMO with character customization, what NORTH AMERICAN MMO do you know of that has character customization with no choice of skin tones or option that lets players to express that he or she wants to play a Hispanic, African-American, or Asian vampire? And the fact that Spacetime are focusing on releasing updates with fountains, 2 handed weapons, and PVP rather than reaching out to a larger audience. And I guarantee you that designing 2 handed weapons and a new PVP mode is much difficult than applying some tints, shades, and hues to the character creation.

I'm not taking things out of proportion, the same concept applies to a MMO that only allows players to create male characters, or a MMO that allows players to create African-American characters.

Roc
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't consider it to be an intentional omission with the purpose of targeting only the white demographic. Considering how many people complained/suggested that health be restored in town, it was no wonder that the blood fountain was implemented quickly. With enough support, this too may be implemented. This is probably an unequal comparison since it's not an mmo, but Pokemon started off being a game where you could only play a guy, now you can choose between a guy or a girl, but there is still no option for choosing skin tone, race, etc.

By not including options, it may also be the case that the use of racial slurs in DL is discouraged. You can't look at someone's vampire and say, "Mr. Asian vampire, you're such a <racial slur>!" Also, this is a mobile game, not a full blown PC oriented or console oriented mmo. Even though we all would like it to be as fully fleshed out as those, I don't expect DL to carry all the customization features that are in Elder Scrolls games, for example, where I can change nose width!

That said, I fully support MOAR CUSTOMIZATION! :biggrin:

(this is coming from someone who is Hispanic ;))

Xaphan Fox
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Lol calm down yakuza. I seriously doubt that sts is doing this intentionaly to offense you or alienate you.

I am sure it is a simple omission or inhibited by the mobile medium it comes on.

Pull back the drama some.

My vampire doesn't look brown hair and bearded like I am. Oh noes!! Sts is discriminating against bearded people!

Damn sts and their pro clean shaven agenda!

StompArtist
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Forget Asian, African or whatever.

I want a blue skinned vamp!

Ethmoid
05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Xaphan brings up a good point. Skin tones are nice and all, but our vampires need beards. ;P

Though in all seriousness, I would understand if this issue never got addressed. DL may be sticking to that Anne Rice/Twilight rule that all vamps turn ghostly white after dying. While I too would like more diversity in the game, I can sort of see where they're coming from.

Yakuza
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I don't consider it to be an intentional omission with the purpose of targeting only the white demographic. Considering how many people complained/suggested that health be restored in town, it was no wonder that the blood fountain was implemented quickly. With enough support, this too may be implemented. This is probably an unequal comparison since it's not an mmo, but Pokemon started off being a game where you could only play a guy, now you can choose between a guy or a girl, but there is still no option for choosing skin tone, race, etc.

By not including options, it may also be the case that the use of racial slurs in DL is discouraged. You can't look at someone's vampire and say, "Mr. Asian vampire, you're such a <racial slur>!" Also, this is a mobile game, not a full blown PC oriented or console oriented mmo. Even though we all would like it to be as fully fleshed out as those, I don't expect DL to carry all the customization features that are in Elder Scrolls games, for example, where I can change nose width!

That said, I fully support MOAR CUSTOMIZATION! :biggrin:

(this is coming from someone who is Hispanic ;))

Well my father is German and African-American, and mother is Native American if that helps.

There is absolutely no comparison between Pokemon and Dark Legends, but I do understand the point you are trying to make. Pokemon is not an MMO, nor is it a game that allows character customization. It revolves around a main character from the storyline, therefore, there is no need for customization. Pokemon was published and developed in Japan, so I can understand why there's little-to-no racial diversity. Think on terms of Runescape, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, which consider racial diversity with little emphasis on the specific details such as nose widths. Not too many MMOs go in depth with the customization as far as face and body proportions goes because there are hundreds of other characters running around, no one will examine each and every detail of every character, so that's understandable...just enough character customization to make each character feel distance from the other.

I am not saying that the game is made for a specific audience. I am only implying that Spacetime got lazy with the customization and disgarded American ethnicity. It's the promised "customization" aspect of the game I'm upset about. You've failed to understand that ethnicity is considered in American MMOs that include customization. Although this game is not entirely an MMO, the main site states that Spacetime is "The World's Only Publisher of Independent MMOs".

I'm all for blue skinned vampires too, throw some pink, green and purple in there too, I'm all for it. I'm just asking for is a revamped customization.

Roc
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm all for blue skinned vampires too, throw some pink, green and purple in there too, I'm all for it. I'm just asking for is a revamped customization.

And you'll find lots of people agree with you :)

(and I admitted the comparison with Pokemon was unequal and in retrospect not an apt one, but it also demonstrated how the game changed to add a gender choice when in the beginning it didn't have one)

However, in some MMOs (my experience comes from WoW) character customization initially stems from being able to pick a race. Whatever race you choose, initial choice of race dictates future customization options. Someone above mentioned the fact that in DL everyone is a vampire (one race?) so that may be the reason that things are limited.

Though in all seriousness, I would understand if this issue never got addressed. DL may be sticking to that Anne Rice/Twilight rule that all vamps turn ghostly white after dying. While I too would like more diversity in the game, I can sort of see where they're coming from.

Whatever the reasoning was for not initially including the options, I really do think the implementation of a color slider/palette for hair and skin would solve everyone's desire for realistic (darker skin tones) and more fantastical (blue, green, etc) vampire portrayals. Inevitably this raises the question of "Will this cost plat?" which would be a touchy issue if you have to pay plat to be a certain skin tone/race!

I don't know if calling STS "lazy" is warranted though. This game may not have come out at launch with every possible form of customization imaginable, that's why there are always numerous updates and patches :) People kept asking for release of the game, we have the game now so now we can ask for improvement!