PDA

View Full Version : "Headsman" Trashing Out the Previous Plat Weapons

DeathFrost
05-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Headsman really trash out the Plat Weapons we have now, therefore indirectly forcing us to buy that weapon. All experienced PVP players knows that DL CTF and DM is based on stats with Higher damage or bigger HP. DPS aint worth a thing, cuz u can easily skill spam all opponent, we are not slashing to death,right? Now STS released this new weapon where u can have both? What happen to our current Plat weapons now? How about to those who are not using plat weapons? That new weapon don't even have higher levels than the previous one. This is really unfair...this game is obviously money based. If u got the money then u rule the game.What happen to player skills? I am really disappointed bcuz i really like this game.

gison
05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
I totally agree with death. Bcuz whatll happen to non-plat users in pvp/ctf?they will always have to scavenge for kills. also, dl is a money based game,u can't get the good stuff without buying platinum.Ex: Pl and Sl pvp require skill...Dl pvp/ctf only requires high damage and high armor.Also u can't get other achievements without buying plat.Eventually some people will earn some, but it's still not fair for people who can not afford plat to get the good stuff:cheerful:

DeathFrost
05-12-2012, 12:56 AM
All i am saying is..non-plat users can go toe to toe with plat users in PVP before..since most of the plat weapons are damage based, they can adjust thr HP and Def. Now here comes a new weapon where u can actually have both? With that kind of stats,,don't bother about player skills...hell they can easily spam skill and kill opponent without gettin near them. How about the plat weapon we have now? Its all trash..right? And don't give us that "we are not forcing u to buy BS" bcuz we all played to have fun..and part of that fun is trying to be the best in this game. Therefore STS is indirectly forcing us to buy that weapon or be a trash like our old weapon.

HunterSLAYER
05-12-2012, 02:36 AM
This is the main reason why My ex-guildmate complained about the game mechanics for two weeks and finally GAVE UP AND QUIT THIS GAME.

She is lv 21, mind you.

Blaquehaaart
05-12-2012, 03:40 AM
D3 is 4 days away...

DeathFrost
05-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Got no complaints about STS selling weapons in store..i don't particularly like it but hey it's business after all. But releasing a new weapon to trash out the existing ones so that we will buy for sure..is "DOWN RIGHT GREEDY"!!!!!! BTW..attack and dps---i really don't know wuts its purpose in PVP..but its useless.. The skills got enough damage to kill opponents in a distance. Hopes for slashing and dicing...well...NOT GONNA HAPPEN LOL.

Flowman
05-12-2012, 07:37 AM
The game is obviously money based, I mean it costs 50 plat to get a new character lol.
I just play the PvE or talk to people in game. Good time waster with a darker, less kiddy side. Blood and violence!

Sarge
05-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Agree too.

Also, why can't there just be an option to trade your old plat weapons for the new and have the option to pay the gap in plat if necessary? What can be done with the old plat stuff now?

Just hope the game doesn't continue on down the 'spend $ if you want the PVP advantage' path.

Ripper McGee
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
FYI, 2h weapons will be introduced as drops in an expansion soon.

rinzler
05-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Yes Ripper, in an upcoming expansion, we plan to have 2H weapons dropped by bosses. We really do try to make our players happy and offer as much as we can. However, if you really do want the best items, you have to purchase them.

Blaquehaaart
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes Ripper, in an upcoming expansion, we plan to have 2H weapons dropped by bosses. We really do try to make our players happy and offer as much as we can. However, if you really do want the best items, you have to purchase them.

This game has no future if that doesn't change.

kiitz
05-12-2012, 01:04 PM
You guys are all acting like you are surprised that STS is developing this game in a way to maximize the amount of money you have to spend on it. You shouldn't be surprised at all because the message was clear from the beginning with the ridiculously high cost to buy additional character slots, energy system and all the rest of it. Have fun.

player
05-12-2012, 02:02 PM
LOL you guys just realized this now? From day one, it's been clear that spending platnium would give you an advantage.

Spoiler alert. When the new expansion comes out and the level cap increases level 30 items are going to be more powerful than level 20. SHOCKER.

You'll have to spend more plat for these new items regardless.

XchilangopwnX
05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
You all know that this happens in real life. You get what you pay for. Like rinzler said,
We really do try to make our players happy and offer as much as we can. However, if you really do want the best items, you have to purchase them.. If you (generalized) wanted the very best phone available, you would buy it.
This game is a new innovation for a business (STS) to provide revenue while also providing entertainment for its fans. I haven't spent but $5 to buy the premium character pack and I have fared well in pvp and pve in all level ranges, including endgame. Plat weapons may be way better than lootable weapons. Isn't there Real-Life Brands that are better than another? In the end it is all up to each individual. Want vs Need. Skill is still needed to win having the best gear will not always make you a pro. According to Charles Darwin, "survival of the fittest," so learn to adapt. It can help a lot in real life.

That's my .02 on this topic. Thank you.

DeathFrost
05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Again...I don't have a problem STS selling weapons for plats. I have a firebrand myself..but releasing a new weapon to trash out the existing ones?Isn't that too much? It's not even a weapon with a higher level yet its stats exceeds the previous plat weapons. If u want a different choices of weapon with the same level then make it like we can actually make choices for example: 1 weapon could have higher damage and the other have higher HP and so on..then its up to a player which part he/she wants to develop. But now here is a new weapon where u can have both HP and Damage which we all know are vital to PVP..now what? Ull give us that famous line "We are not forcing u to buy?"

With all do respect to others...Im not talkin about who is the best here or being "pro". I could not care less!!! It just felt like a rip off ... We already have 4 plat weapons in store...Why they could not wait for the next level cap to release a new one? If they did then it will be more acceptable..

Cahaun
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM

This game has no future if that doesn't change.
You are going to surprised when you see it you see it in the future :)
I don't care at all if the platinum weapons are more powerful. The customer should get more for the money. They even risked their money trying to get one. It's not greed. It's just business.

Blaquehaaart
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Eh, this game isn't that good to justify the cost of playing the endgame race.

I can get D3 for the cost of one plat set. I can guarantee that game will be dramatically better in every aspect, including it's business model. It'd be foolish for STS to put people in position to choose.

monarchival
05-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Buying packs for a 'chance' at a premium item? Sounds like gambling to me. Gambling is illegal in california as far as im aware. I bought 15 packs and did not get an electric headsman. Just cause u spend plat doesnt mean ur gonna get the top lvl stuff. I feel like i just got mugged. And to top it off, ppl who have the headsman r killing me in ctf. Ok, done whining....:) still a fun game.

Rare
05-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Eh, this game isn't that good to justify the cost of playing the endgame race.

I can get D3 for the cost of one plat set. I can guarantee that game will be dramatically better in every aspect, including it's business model. It'd be foolish for STS to put people in position to choose.

Didn't you spend a good amount to get firebrand?

Rare
05-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Buying packs for a 'chance' at a premium item? Sounds like gambling to me. Gambling is illegal in california as far as im aware. I bought 15 packs and did not get an electric headsman. Just cause u spend plat doesnt mean ur gonna get the top lvl stuff. I feel like i just got mugged. And to top it off, ppl who have the headsman r killing me in ctf. Ok, done whining....:) still a fun game.

another one of these lol

kiitz
05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
lol. STS will release you new and more powerful plat weapons as frequently as they think someone who is desperate to own people in PvP will buy it.

Blaquehaaart
05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Didn't you spend a good amount to get firebrand?

Nope...

octavos
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

this practice can burn out a player faster then before...then they wont buy with the fear of having outdated items...a way to update your plat bought weapons

Ideas:
1.ingredients like in other games
2.use gold to help us upgrade for plat packs...GOLD for ppl cant buy plat
3.re-buy a pack...for less plat..
4.EG: You get Bands from a pack...use plat or credits to upgrade your item to fire brands.

For fear of having outdated items is one reason I haven't bought any any and why I don't PvP. Im not in disagreement with this because I understand..but people who PvP because of this energy system in DL and only one feature that is implamented...I can see there side of the picture also.

Yes you can buy the best in the game...but constantly doing this, will make threads like these become more prominent.

I want a solution so where everyone can win :D including you guys at StS.

Akaee
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

If it was à purchase ok, but this is gambling. I used 500 plat to end up with no electrified version.

Sky../
05-13-2012, 01:07 PM
How about like a loyalty program? For every kind of "bundle" you buy, you get 5 plat off the net kind you buy. Max to like 10-15 plat off maybe, so it's not too much. And it's per kind, so buying 3 fiery packs will still be 5 plat off the electric headsman set and not 15.

Cjon
05-13-2012, 02:49 PM
However, if you really do want the best items, you have to purchase them.

That wouldn't be as much of a problem if $T$ wasn't so greedy about it. Everything in the random packs except for the one weapon is basically worthless. People have spent up to 60-70$ getting that one weapon, which is just ridiculous. If the only way to get the best weapon in the game is to buy it, then it should have a reliable way to get it. But it doesn't. There's no reason for having it be random than to get more money out of people. And also, a new "best weapon" is released every couple weeks. How can you justify charging players up to $100+ dollars a month to get the best weapons?

Blaquehaaart
05-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm gonna go out on limb and say people will only upgrade once, maybe twice, then play their gear out and quit. This is why I say this game has no future -- it will never retain a loyal player base under this model.

I bought diablo 3 for $59 (less than what a legendary plat weapon cost) and have the client downloaded for instant play when the servers open. I highly doubt this game will come close to comparing.

Ripper McGee
05-13-2012, 03:12 PM
After having acquired the Headsman (non-electric) pink this morning, I don't see what the fuss is. It didn't really do anything for me! Also, for those complaining about DPS, DPS is huge when you're on cool down for your powers and are running in circles spamming the space key trying to get an attack in! As for Headsman trashing existing gear, I already have all 20 pinks. I basically wasted $20 trying to get the electric headsman because nothing I got was any better than what I already had. If I didn't already have all 20 pinks for a specific build then the headsman might have done me some good, but it didn't.

Please note, I don't mind spending money and I also understand and accept the randomness of the gear packs. For the future, I'll remember that when I'm already geared out with top-end gear there's really no point in wasting money on packs.

Blaquehaaart
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
the Electric version gives 135 heath and +8 damage for stats. That's great for pvp.

Staryknight
05-13-2012, 05:41 PM
While I'm not convinced that the new 2h weapons are that much stronger than the previous I'm not liking the pattern I am seeing from STS. Obviously when the cap is raised all of my old plat gear will be worthless and I will have to purchase more to be competitive at end game pvp. This is how f2p mmo's work and I understand this. However, when I buy plat gear I do expect it to last until new content is introduced, and I certainly expect it to last more than a few weeks. We've now seen them introduce new plat mystery packs twice each time out dating the previous weapons and the game has only been out for what a month maybe two? When I bought my firebrands I did not expect to still be using them 1 year from now at level 60, but I did expect that they would be good for a few months or until new content was introduced. This is especially true when you can't even buy the new weapons but are instead expected to spend and undetermined amount of money buying the chance to maybe get the weapon you want.

I am more than willing to buy plat and support a game that I like. I feel that the devs should be rewarded for working hard and producing a good game. But every time I purchase something in the game I always end up regretting it. I would like to see that my money is going to a company that cares about its customers and is working to develop a game that is fun to play for both plat and non plat buyers. Instead with DL I feel like the only creative process is going to thinking of ways to have us buy more plat. Hopefully STS will start listening to feedback and look at alternatives to the current pricing models.

Xaphan Fox
05-13-2012, 07:13 PM
The 2 hander is not better than firebrand/pestilence.

The increases in skill damage does not kill an equally equipped/speced player.

It comes down to a bit of melee spam until a skill resets.

The 2 hander fails at this. Is slow, clumsy, and easily juked by a fleetfooted player.

If anything, with the added life, but slower killing, its equivalent to what already exists.

...It just looks cool as shiz haha.

That being said:

I love new weapons. I don't mind having to buy the best weapon. I wish I didn't have to, I'd rather farm for it, but I can deal with it.

What I don't like is having to deal with the chance of getting it.

I'd rather the gambling stay the same for those who wanna try their luck at getting a cheap 25plat weapon... but we should also have the option to buy it flat out for 100plat or something.

Equivalent price to chancing it 4 or 5 times. That sounds monumentally fair.

This is all stuff the community has brought up before with the advent of the SL cat lady packs, etc...

...and it didn't change anything. So who knows. Perhaps they will modify their business model to sate everyone's needs, but it appears slim.

And in case you missed it:

2hander is not better than brand/pest.

Go to any boss and observe how fast they drop.

Skill spam + melee spam of a boss that doesn't move: brand/pest won every time.

...and it appeared to be the same way after about 800 kills using it in ctf/tdm the other day over many many hours.

Pestilence rules.

birdmasta
05-13-2012, 11:20 PM

even tho u make them drops, im pretty sure u would make headsman better still which makes no diff... so pretty much no point

Blaquehaaart
05-14-2012, 12:42 AM
The 2 hander is not better than firebrand/pestilence.

The increases in skill damage does not kill an equally equipped/speced player.

It comes down to a bit of melee spam until a skill resets.

The 2 hander fails at this. Is slow, clumsy, and easily juked by a fleetfooted player.

If anything, with the added life, but slower killing, its equivalent to what already exists.

...It just looks cool as shiz haha.

That being said:

I love new weapons. I don't mind having to buy the best weapon. I wish I didn't have to, I'd rather farm for it, but I can deal with it.

What I don't like is having to deal with the chance of getting it.

I'd rather the gambling stay the same for those who wanna try their luck at getting a cheap 25plat weapon... but we should also have the option to buy it flat out for 100plat or something.

Equivalent price to chancing it 4 or 5 times. That sounds monumentally fair.

This is all stuff the community has brought up before with the advent of the SL cat lady packs, etc...

...and it didn't change anything. So who knows. Perhaps they will modify their business model to sate everyone's needs, but it appears slim.

And in case you missed it:

2hander is not better than brand/pest.

Go to any boss and observe how fast they drop.

Skill spam + melee spam of a boss that doesn't move: brand/pest won every time.

...and it appeared to be the same way after about 800 kills using it in ctf/tdm the other day over many many hours.

Pestilence rules.

Headsman is a pvp weapon. It has burst damage and a boost to health. Yes dps is good against longer fights where sustained damage is more clutch, but that's not the case in pvp.

Headsman will proc higher crits and do more damage charged...and give an overall damage boost to skills.

I don't even know if there is another weapon that gives a plus damage stat.

Also people are walking around with like 1200 health with it. It certainly is very good for pvp.

Xaphan Fox
05-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Lol you don't kill people with just skills anymore. Everyone's geared and getting up to par. Unless its a new 20, you gonna melee a bit at the end. The only thing the burst is good for is yoinking other's kills after they have damaged a badie.

That increase in damage isn't night and day difference to skill damage, and the fact that it still comes down to a melee brawl at the end makes me like the faster brand/pest. The slow combersome swings of headsman is easily juked and pron to missing on highly mobile targets.

Its best quality is the absurd life on it, not the damage IMO.

Brand/pest still outpaces it encounter after encounter. Unless you wanna burst a damaged target/yoink a killing, the brand/pest is more versatile and still drops people in seconds.

Do you even have both a 21 pest/brand and headsman to come to your conclusions?

The point is everyone flipping out over the headsman when they shouldnt be. Surely people will like it over the pest/brand, but it isn't a killer of those weapons. Its equivalent... just different.

What *will* suck is people opening up with headsman then macro switching to firebrand (if that is even possible) to finish up. I am suspicious of Chrome players and the PVP differences of me using a touch screen versus the versatility of a keyboard.

Nologicone
05-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Was suggesting a "20% chance" on the first pack buy and additional "20%" chance on the subsequent pack buy so maximum spending for a plat weapon will cap at 5 packs. Anybody who got it before 5 packs would be consider lucky. How's that sound?

Dalinuel
05-14-2012, 05:18 AM
All i got to say is about time they make a two handed weapon that's worth something

Sarge
05-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Lol you don't kill people with just skills anymore. Everyone's geared and getting up to par. Unless its a new 20, you gonna melee a bit at the end. The only thing the burst is good for is yoinking other's kills after they have damaged a badie.

That increase in damage isn't night and day difference to skill damage, and the fact that it still comes down to a melee brawl at the end makes me like the faster brand/pest. The slow combersome swings of headsman is easily juked and pron to missing on highly mobile targets.

Its best quality is the absurd life on it, not the damage IMO.

Brand/pest still outpaces it encounter after encounter. Unless you wanna burst a damaged target/yoink a killing, the brand/pest is more versatile and still drops people in seconds.

Do you even have both a 21 pest/brand and headsman to come to your conclusions?

The point is everyone flipping out over the headsman when they shouldnt be. Surely people will like it over the pest/brand, but it isn't a killer of those weapons. Its equivalent... just different.

What *will* suck is people opening up with headsman then macro switching to firebrand (if that is even possible) to finish up. I am suspicious of Chrome players and the PVP differences of me using a touch screen versus the versatility of a keyboard.

I see your point. Most of the stats do have a somewhat trade-off when compared between brand/pest & headsman, but I just feel that that the 350% increase in hp is too high.

An increase of over 100hp from what I have noticed is enough to allow someone with the headsman (especially those with a high level of hp & def already) to relaunch all of their skills (utilizing the 26% dmg advantage) a second time.

birdmasta
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
wow how do u guys calculate all this math? how can u guys know the exact percentage??? (this is not a question just amazed by ur guys' pvp knowledge)

Xaphan Fox
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I live in the matrix

birdmasta
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I live in the matrix

lol yes u do. ur DL ign is testament right?

Xaphan Fox
05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
aye

BodMaster
05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
However, if you really do want the best items, you have to purchase them.

Apologies, but this is the MOST ridicule comment I have ever heard.

Do not want to outstay my welcome already, but can't believe this just come from an StS employee.

All the best gear in game, in ANY game, should be from hard work, not pitching into your pockets. Looks.. fair enough, if you want awesome Vanity and looking cool/sick then that should be purchased.. not "best items = purchase them".

All I will say on the matter.

Flowman
05-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Do not want to outstay my welcome already, but can't believe this just come from an StS employee.

All the best gear in game, in ANY game, should be from hard work, not pitching into your pockets. Looks.. fair enough, if you want awesome Vanity and looking cool/sick then that should be purchased.. not "best items = purchase them".

All I will say on the matter.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/188/369978249_949a0a4158.jpg

I CAN FEEL IT COMING.

Skeokateva
05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
I have no problem purchasing weapons but that's not what a random plat pack is. Purchasing only gives u a chance at getting "better" items.
So how much r they really worth? Imo random chances r costing too much, and after ppl spend butt loads of plat on "newest" pack just to have their purchases abruptly outdated.... I mean ouch my wallets getting its blood drained ^^^;-;^^^

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Ripper McGee
05-15-2012, 09:53 PM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/188/369978249_949a0a4158.jpg

I CAN FEEL IT COMING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

Wolves
05-16-2012, 04:32 AM

It WAS unusually blunt and dismissive.
Perhaps an in house training seminar run by resident Spin Doctor, Samhayne, is in order.

BodMaster
05-16-2012, 06:34 AM
@Skeo I got used to the random packs in SL, im one of the players that usually has to have every new possible vanity (No stat boosters though). This subject in general on the other hand is not worth my time.

I know StS are trying to kill off the "hardcore" side of all their current games and make it a fully "casual" gamers franchise, this just seems the wrong way to go about it. At least a Cap Weapon should be introduced with a crazy low probability drop rate for some of the more "hardcore members" as they are still present in these franchises too.

If they were to make all top gear in PL/SL Plat purchases (Hoping that's not the case atm) their wouldn't be many loyal players in the game what-so ever, and they know it.

Flowman
05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Ayo Bod you can edit the text in your sig now...I mean I'm not against the Legend part though :D By all means keep that :p

BodMaster
05-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Lol good catch, always on the ball!! Hopefully get another legendary sig, if only i can think up something i want tho :p

Flowman
05-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Take your time, I'm working very slowly...slower than usual. I must have started Frzen's signature over about 5 times already. He's got "reserved for Flowman" in his sig right now...so I feel bad making him wait this long lol

BodMaster
05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Haha an artist at work, never rushs, ateast until the eye of the beholder reaches its perfection.

Sure you will not disappoint, and more than that im looking forward to seeing your own new sig :p

Skeokateva
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
@Skeo

If they were to make all top gear in PL/SL Plat purchases (Hoping that's not the case atm) their wouldn't be many loyal players in the game what-so ever, and they know it.
Personally I don't think having plat gear being the "better gear " is the way to go, especially in DL bc it has a huge potential to build a loyal PvP community, and that move would leave non-plat players at a huge disadvantage.

So, maybe a question for the devs:
Please define how these weapons r going to be different than drops, like their advantages and disadvantages?

Thx

StompArtist
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Actually I am ok with best weapons being sold as long as it is consistent and remains that way. It's when they change the spec on weapons after purchases (be it raise the free weapons or lower the paid-for weapons) that I start having an issue.

Consistency is what really matters to me.

Skeokateva
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Consistency is what really matters to me.

I have to admit and agree w/ u here; that truly consistency is the key, releasing the "best" and shortly after releasing "better "

Nassar
05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I think it'd be best if plat was reserved for microtransactions for vanities and conveniences, not in-game advantages.

I'm sure more people would be cool with platinum buying vanity weapons, auras, clothes and the like than actual "ultimate" weapons. Especially since everything scales with levels so it's more like you're paying to "rent" something for a few levels except the fee is non-refundable and the landlord isn't returning your deposit. (I hate when they do that.)

Nologicone
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
@Skeo I got used to the random packs in SL, im one of the players that usually has to have every new possible vanity (No stat boosters though). This subject in general on the other hand is not worth my time.

I know StS are trying to kill off the "hardcore" side of all their current games and make it a fully "casual" gamers franchise, this just seems the wrong way to go about it. At least a Cap Weapon should be introduced with a crazy low probability drop rate for some of the more "hardcore members" as they are still present in these franchises too.

This...I agree, have a realistic chance of actually getting the "ultimate weapon."

Was suggesting a "20% chance" on the first pack buy and additional "20%" chance on the subsequent pack buy so maximum spending for a plat weapon will cap at 5 packs. Anybody who got it before 5 packs would be consider lucky. How's that sound?

Or like Nassar says, no "plat ultimate weapon", only cosmetic vanities for a customized individual look.

Seriously, with only lvl 20 lootable pink weapons available in the game only, PvP would be a a tad more interesting with different stats from Assault/Protection/Vitality & different procs like fire/ice/knock-down. But too bad, that fantasy part of PvP now resides in a parallel world.

Cheers!

wvhills
05-17-2012, 08:54 PM

we don't have a problem with that, just make them purchasable straight up not in gamble packs. gamble packs are quickly becoming DL's version of PL elixirs. If you want the weapons to cost 75 plat or whatever just put them in the plat store.

Mrsberry
05-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I think everyones waisting there time posting on this thread.
(Today New chance moon stone item pack in store better then any dropable gem try your luck!)

BodMaster
05-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I think everyones waisting there time posting on this thread.
(Today New chance moon stone item pack in store better then any dropable gem try your luck!)

Which isn't needed.. why put something up for Premium Currency, that you can't even acquire in the game alone? If they added items like this in PL/SL they would get crucified.

Sky../
05-18-2012, 09:19 AM
The only solution is, stop patronizing these packs.

Obviously, for STS, they don't see this as a wrong. They probably think "okay, let's just weather the initial backlash. Eventually, people will get tired of complaining and just take it as it is. "

Me personally, i'm not buying any of these gamble packs. Yes i will buy vanities, with plat even. But i won't buy the "chance" to get something.

Re: a mod saying buying these packs always results in positive result, unlike gambling which can give a negative result, i disagree. Just because you get "something" in return for your money, it does not mean it's always positive. At best, these junk items are a neutral to majority of the people.

100 vegans enter a raffle to win free food for a year. Pays $15 per ticket. As a consolation, non winners are give a hamburger that they can not give nor sell to anyone else. It's either they eat it, or trash it.

Xaphan Fox
05-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Lololoollllololoo best analogy evah!

Ripper McGee
05-18-2012, 02:12 PM
...Re: a mod saying buying these packs always results in positive result, unlike gambling which can give a negative result, i disagree. Just because you get "something" in return for your money, it does not mean it's always positive. At best, these junk items are a neutral to majority of the people.

100 vegans enter a raffle to win free food for a year. Pays $15 per ticket. As a consolation, non winners are give a hamburger that they can not give nor sell to anyone else. It's either they eat it, or trash it.

Regarding the first statement, it's your responsibility as a consumer to decide how to spend your money. If you're relatively new to the game or simply don't have very many pinks, then the items you get from buying packs--whether you get the item with particle effects or not--can dramatically increase your character stats and effectiveness. Then again, you could buy items from the auction house with in-game gold for the same effect. It's really a matter of time vs. money. I bought some packs when I was much lower in level and they really did help me spec out my build, even with greens!

If you're going into the purchase with the sole idea of obtaining that one specific item--knowing that it's random--then you have nobody to blame but yourself. It's your money and you decided to "waste" it. As an example, I blew $20 the other day trying to get a new legendary. My character is already decked out in all pinks that fit my build and play style. So, in my case, even though I knew I wasn't going to be able to use anything, I spent the money anyway. That was my choice. I take responsibility for it.

Regarding your analogy, it's flawed. Why? Because entering a raffle is not the same as buying a pack of items. With a raffle, there's no guarantee of receiving anything in return. With packs, there is. Kids have been buying bubble-gum packs of trading cards for well over 50 years. I bought trading packs of comic-book character cards when I was a teenager, trying to build that set of special collectors cards. The packs you buy in game are no different. You know you're always going to get something for your purchase. It's your responsibility as a consumer to decide whether or not you're willing to risk what your receive being worth the price. Does your character need some buffing or are you already decked out? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Only you can decide.

All that being said, I would really like to see two ways to purchase the special items:

1) Lower priced packs with a random chance to obtain said item
2) Ability to purchase item directly for a higher set price.

Give more players choices how to spend their money.

Sky../
05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Ripper,
I am at work right now, and sort of just skimmed your reply.

Re your first paragraph, i'll have to admit that i do not know what other items you can get aside from the rares in the pack. I went by the assumption that they are useless, by reading the complaints from other posters. All i see are people saying they're current gears is/are better than what they got.

Re the second paragraph, i agree it is our own responsibility for deciding to buy these random packs. But i am sure you agree if i say "you're forced to buy the packs if you want the best items in game"

Re my analogy, i know raffles don't guarantee you get something, hence i tweaked it with "non winners get a hamburger as a consolation prize". ;)

Re your comparisson to trading cards, it is flawed too. Trading cards CAN be traded and sold. Rare ones CAN potentially return a significant amount of your investment back to you when you sell them. Also, rare cards can e bought from other people who were lucky enough to get them.

Ripper McGee
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi Sky

"Best" is subjective, and there lies the problem. As others have pointed out, one can buy a level 21 item with level 21 stats, but it's not so much more superior to level 20 items that it necessarily makes a difference, especially in a team environment. Yes, technically it's "the best", but does it matter? Even the new 2h aren't necessarily "better" than dual wield 1hs that are already in game. So, nobody is really forced to pay real money to have the "best" items, at least in terms of item usefulness. That being said, one is forced to pay for the "best looking" items, which is perfect for F2P game monetization.

You're correct in that trading cards can be trade or sold in the real world, however, in-game card packs, lockboxes, chests, etc... (depending on the game) were literally designed after the trading card pack model. The reason you can't sell the items is because it leads to corruption of in-game economies, black markets and ways to convert gold to real money.